Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 17:00   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mudigere - Sakleshpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Has anyone done the Mudigere (hand-post) to Sakleshpur route via Hanbal? I have done this long back - a good option to get back on to NH48 after crossing over Charmadi instead of Shiradi. This is what I am talking about:
Although this is an option to get to NH48, this would not be a viable option to Bangalore unless you want to visit Sakleshpur. Firstly, the road condition is horrible. Sushrutha was the last one here I guess, to have recently traveled on this route. Secondly, the distance is more than the regular Mudigere-Belur-Hassan route.

This route offshoots from the Mudigere-Gonibeedu-Belur road at a place called Jannapura (just before Gonibeedu). From Jannapura, the road passes through Hanbal before joining NH48 at Anemahal (just before Sakleshpur)
Old 17th February 2011, 17:46   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Although this is an option to get to NH48, this would not be a viable option to Bangalore unless you want to visit Sakleshpur. Firstly, the road condition is horrible. Sushrutha was the last one here I guess, to have recently traveled on this route. Secondly, the distance is more than the regular Mudigere-Belur-Hassan route.
# Condition of road - Is it worse than the Mudigere-Belur stretch?

# Distance - I disagree. This route is almost as long as Mudigere-Belur-Hassan route, maybe a couple of kms more.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:16   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
# Condition of road - Is it worse than the Mudigere-Belur stretch?
I am sure that it is worse than belur - gendehalli - mudigere stretch.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:50   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am sure that it is worse than belur - gendehalli - mudigere stretch.
You got to be joking. Belur- Gendehalli-Mudigere is in Good condition, just returned from native today morning. Probably you are referring to Cheekanahally stretch. Yes this road(via Cheekanahally) is still in bad condition.
Quote:
Guys,

Has anyone done the Mudigere (hand-post) to Sakleshpur route via Hanbal? I

What all you want to break by taking this road? Your car ?/Your car suspension ? or your Back bone ?
I would advice you not to take this road until and unless you own a jeep/SUV. It's in pathetic condition.
If you really want to enjoy the country side roads, take Mudigere-Jannapura-Bettadamane-Angadi-Devarunda-Develadakere-Hanbal-Sakleshpura, it's very much winding + twisty Narrow road in good condition. But Mudigere-Jannapura is not in good condition.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:28   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
You got to be joking. Belur- Gendehalli-Mudigere is in Good condition
Thanks sushrutha. So do you recommend the second option for Mudigere - Belur?

Also, what is the latest on Charmadi Ghat? Has the bad state of Shiradi resulted in increased traffic/road deterioration there?
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mudigere_belur_option_1.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mudigere_belur_option_2.jpg  

Old 21st February 2011, 13:37   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sushrutha. So do you recommend the second option for Mudigere - Belur?

Also, what is the latest on Charmadi Ghat? Has the bad state of Shiradi resulted in increased traffic/road deterioration there?
Charmadi is in good condition. At some of the hairpin(2-3) bends it's in bad condition. Good thing is that those were getting patched up when I had taken this route around 20 days back. Rest of the road is in beautiful condition, particularly the road of Chikmagalur district, Mangalore dist road part is a bit rough in some places.
I had taken my Civic in this route, I didn't face any issue at all.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:52   #3112
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Cool_Dube, Since you have Safari, go on Charmadi. You will enjoy the drive.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:00   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Charmadi is in good condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Cool_Dube, Since you have Safari, go on Charmadi. You will enjoy the drive.
Thanks guys. To repeat my other query - which of the two options (given in my previous post) is better for Mudigere - Belur? Or should I just come via Chikmagalur?

Essentially, I am driving from Bangalore to Kundapura (and back) and planning to take the following routes:

Onward: Bangalore - Hassan - C'lur - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Haladai - Kundapura

Return: Kundapura - Udupi - Karkala - Belthangady - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations on the above?

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st February 2011 at 14:01.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:42   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. To repeat my other query - which of the two options (given in my previous post) is better for Mudigere - Belur? Or should I just come via Chikmagalur?
Take Mudigere - Gendehally- Belur Road, Though narrow it's in good condition, as this road is narrow, at some places you'll had to bring your vehicle off the tar road, and it's very much Edgy too. Safari, shouldn't be a problem
Essentially, I am driving from Bangalore to Kundapura (and back) and planning to take the following routes:
Quote:
Onward: Bangalore - Hassan - C'lur - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Haladai - Kundapura

Return: Kundapura - Udupi - Karkala - Belthangady - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations on the above?
For the onward journey, recently Samurai had taken the route in I10 AT, He found it to be good enough.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:53   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
You got to be joking. Belur- Gendehalli-Mudigere is in Good condition, just returned from native today morning. Probably you are referring to Cheekanahally stretch. Yes this road(via Cheekanahally) is still in bad condition.
I meant the same too. I was saying it in comparison with belur - gendehalli - mudigere, the mudigere - hanbal - sakleshpur stretch is bad.

Quote:
Take Mudigere - Gendehally- Belur Road, Though narrow it's in good condition, as this road is narrow, at some places you'll had to bring your vehicle off the tar road, and it's very much Edgy too.
+1.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:05   #3116
BHPian

Good News.. Shiradi ghat is getting repaired; eventhough it is just patch work. I travelled from Bangalore to Mangalore on Saturday, 19th Feb 2011. Started at 4.15pm and reached Mangalore at 11.30pm. Break of 15 minutes for coffee at Kamat Upachar. Repair-work is going on and they have completed it almost till Kempuhole (when travelling from Bangalore).

The Shiradi stretch used to take a minimum of 1.5 hours before patch work. This time it took me 1 hour.

Returned back yesterday. It took 1 hour to cover the ghat section on the return journey too. Started from Mangalore at 3pm and reached Bangalore at 10.45pm. There was a slight hold-up on one of the curves. There was massive trailer which could not turn at one of the steep curves and had blocked traffic. Cops were allowing only cars & 2 wheelers to pass by and all buses and trucks were seen in a long que on either side of this trailer. Not sure when it got cleared.

Hopefully, the entire ghat stretch should be patched up soon and allow hassle free travelling. The question really is; how long will it last?
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:53   #3117
BHPian

Re: 4 lane for BC Road n Hassan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hopefully, the entire ghat stretch should be patched up soon and allow hassle free travelling. The question really is; how long will it last?
Well, hopefully until the news today in the mirror materializes. As per the news they might sanction the 4-lane of the stretch between BC Road and Hassan. It is awaiting approval from the transport ministry and might be done on the BOT basis.

Hope something happens sooner than later.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:04   #3118
Senior - BHPian

While it may be a good in cutting down the travel time but what scares me is the damage to the green cover, still cant digest the nh17/48 sight i cant even think this stretch going bald.....

I think they need to improve the quality of the work first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, hopefully until the news today in the mirror materializes. As per the news they might sanction the 4-lane of the stretch between BC Road and Hassan. It is awaiting approval from the transport ministry and might be done on the BOT basis.

Hope something happens sooner than later.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:34   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
While it may be a good in cutting down the travel time but what scares me is the damage to the green cover, still cant digest the nh17/48 sight i cant even think this stretch going bald.....

I think they need to improve the quality of the work first....
These are the costs of development. Hopefully they will minimize the damage caused to the environs. I hope they get some leading private players in BOT to participate in this project, so the quality part is taken care of.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:55   #3120
BHPian

For those contemplating going/coming to Udupi via Chikmagalur and Kalasa, here are my observations:
I left Malpe on my bike the day before for Chikmagalur (actually Haandi 18 km from Chikmagalur on the Mudigere Road) at 10 am and reached by 1.45 pm. And then left for Bangalore by the Gendehalli-Belur stretch the next day. Left at 10 am and reached my home in BLR at 2 pm. Here are my observations:

22/2: Malpe-Manipal-Bailoor-Karkala-Kudremukh-Kalasa-Magundi-Bannur-Balehonnur-Aldur-Machagondanahalli-Haandi.

Malpe-Manipal: 15 minutes and smooth road.
Manipal-Bailoor-Karkala- 25 minutes - Narrow roads with the occasional pothole, and rough surfaces.
Karkala-Kudremukh - 50 minutes - Superb roads, well surfaced and twisty. A biker's dream with decently fast corners. Watch out for a massive crater being repaired just before entering Kudremukh when coming from Karkala.
Kudremukh-Kalasa-Magundi- 1.25 hours - Again, mostly good roads, with the occasional pothole and the odd speedbreaker before Kalasa.
Magundi-Balehonnur-Aldur-Haandi-1 hour - Good roads from Magundi to Balehonnur. Road becomes bad and lots of potholes just before Aldur and horrible again for a 2-3 km stretch before Haandi. It's such a pity because I remember this stretch having superb twisties and smooth roads all the way till Aldur.

Next day (23/2/11):

Haandi-Gendehalli-Belur-Hassan-CR Patna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Nagarbhavi

10 am:

Haandi-Gendehalli-Belur - 30 min - Very annoying stretch, with potholes, numerous road cuttings and a very narrow road. Which means that you will be stuck behind a lorry or one of those Maxx trucks carrying agri produce. This is the case all the way till Belur. I wouldn't take this route, especially in the daytime.

Belur-Hassan-CR Patna (Udayanapura): 30 min - Belur to Haasan is quick, but once you enter Haasan things slow up real fast. Crap roads and town traffic slows you down. EDIT: Stopped for 30 minutes at Udayanapura for a coffee and phone calls.

CR Patna - Kunigal - 65 minutes - Fast stretches but little scary because of the villages it passes through.

Kunigal - Nelamangala - 45 min- In Kunigal, the roads are bad again, and traffic was heavy when I passed through. After Kunigal, at Bellur Cross, things are improving, and just before Nelamangala (maybe about 20 kms or so), the road is a divided 4 lane, although it still needs finishing touches.

Nelamangala - Nagarbhavi (via ORR): 45 minutes - NH4, nuff said. Took the ORR because I believe the NICE road link is useless for people traveling to this part of the town now that the expressway is operational.

Last edited by Rossiter : 24th February 2011 at 18:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks