Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 08:16   #736
BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

I had an errand at Sira over the weekend. I tried the STRR the whole way to Dobbespet from Whitefield. Whitefield to Hoskote town : 30 mins. Hoskote town to STRR entry : 10 mins. 55 mins from there to Dobbespet. Overall 95 minutes for approximately 100kms without going over the speed limit of 90. From Dabbaspet to Sira : 45 mins. STRR not done for about 12 kms before and after Doddaballapur, you will be riding the old NH648 here. Likewise from Doddabelavangala to Dabbaspet, it's on and off diversions but neither is stressful.

2 hours, 20 mins from Whitefield to Sira is acceptable to me any day, without any of the stressful traffic. Distancewise, I would think that this is 20-25 kms more. The best "timing" I have seen from Whitefield to Sira on the old route ( via ORR and Nelamangala ) is about 2 hours, but the worst I have been through is about 4 hours. So the STRR is a nice "hedged" option for people living on the eastern and northern side of the city. More so when returning from somewhere on a Sunday evening. No stress of Nelamangala-Goraguntepalya-ORR traffic.

On the return leg, I did Sira - Madhugiri - Koratagere - Manchenahalli - Chikkaballapur - Devanahalli - STRR - Hoskote - Whitefield and it took 3 hours ( 30 mins more than the onward journey ). The roads are good throughout but you have to pass through all the towns I mention above. Again, minimal traffic, but 2 lanes all the way until Chikkaballapur. This would be another good "backpocket" plan for people in North and East Bangalore.

Taking the STRR from Dabbaspet is faster by 30 mins. However, once the traffic picks up ( i.e. when google map drivers get shown this way by google map, expect more traffic on the STRR ).

Last edited by airguitar : 9th October 2023 at 08:20.
airguitar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 18:04   #737
BHPian

Hi, I have a travel plan in the coming weeks to Coimbatore from Hyderabad.

Wanted to know if there is any way to bypass Banglore. I will be travelling along with my family and plan to reach Devanahalli by 3 p.m.

The last time I travelled to Coimbatore was by passing through the centre of the Banglore city.
Old 16th October 2023, 13:17   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post

Wanted to know if there is any way to bypass Banglore. I will be travelling along with my family and plan to reach Devanahalli by 3 p.m.

The last time I travelled to Coimbatore was by passing through the centre of the Banglore city.
This is one option.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AHSj8JAoRF6is2cq5?g_st=ic

The map shows the route via Chikkathirupathi. You can go via Malur too. I am not aware of the other route's road conditions.

Do try to clear the hoskote - Hosur stretch by evening.

Last edited by tharian : 16th October 2023 at 13:31.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 13:49   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post

I usually take the Hosur - Malur-Hoskote - Devanahalli.

Hosur to Malur dual lane highway occasional patches of bad road close to the interstate border. Malur moving town traffic might take sometime.
Malur to Hoskote four laned but lots of road work is happening.
Hoskote to Devanahalli new four laned highway.
it might take 2hrs to 2.30mins to traverse from Hosur to Devanahalli during the day.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:59   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Alert - this construction has started and it seems it's taking an hour to cross from Attibele toll gate to Maharishi school junction. Please use alternate roads to cross the border.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I got caught in this pile-up when returning from Kochi on 17/10. It did take nearly 45 minutes to clear this section (between 11 am and 12 noon). Not what you want at the fag end of a 500+ km drive.
Found the above 2 posts here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5647026 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)

How is the condition of Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur- Varthur - Whitefield? Any other better routes to reach EPIP Area Whitefield?

Thanks in advance.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:10   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How is the condition of Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur- Varthur - Whitefield? Any other better routes to reach EPIP Area Whitefield?
Hosur-Bagalur: Good, but short (only about 10-12 km). I think sections are even dual carriageway.

Bagalur-TN/KA Border: more of the same, but this is single carriageway.

Border-Sarjapur-Dommasandra: Crossing Sarjapur town can be a pain. Also the flyover construction at Dommasandra junction can be a problem (has this been abandoned now?)

Dommasandra-Gunjur: Widening work mostly complete. Mostly dual carriageway.

Gunjur-Varthur: Pain with a capital P.

Varthur-Whitefield: Typical Bangalore city arterial road. Crowded & chaotic, signals & cops, encroachments & pedestrians on road, haphazard parking, wrong-side driving...
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:39   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I usually take the Hosur - Malur-Hoskote - Devanahalli.

Hosur to Malur dual lane highway occasional patches of bad road close to the interstate border. Malur moving town traffic might take sometime.
Malur to Hoskote four laned but lots of road work is happening.
Hoskote to Devanahalli new four laned highway.
it might take 2hrs to 2.30mins to traverse from Hosur to Devanahalli during the day.
I had taken the Hosur - Malur - Kolar route last week for my Tirupati trip. I would not recommend it and while return I took Chittoor - Vellore - Krishnagiri highway to reach hosur. Hosur - Malur - Kolar is in bad shape. I think I took around 1.5 hrs to cross this section. Lot of potholed roads and bad patches.
Old 24th October 2023, 08:39   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hosur - Malur - Kolar is in bad shape.
The situation hasn't changed in over a decade (15 years to be exact). In Dec 2021, Hosur-Bagalur was good. Bagalur-Malur was a nightmare.

We were visiting someone in KGF. Took us 2.5 hours for 60 km, took the same time for detouring via Venkatagirikota-Kuppam-Krishnagiri-Hosur (which was 140 km).

At that time, V-Kota town was the only place where there were non-existent roads. Rest was fantastic wide 2-lane.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 17:18   #744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can do Hosur Sarjapur very easily by taking Nallur road. It bypasses Bagaluru and lands you right at the KA-TN border on the old NH207 (The new 648)

The real tricky part is beyond that. The biggest problem in all this is Gunjur-Varthur. Google still suggests route via Gunjur as the best. Another option can be to not enter Sarjapur and drive towards Chikka Tirupati and exit before towards Gunjur. But the traffic pain at Gunjur would still have to encountered.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:42   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Found the above 2 posts here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5647026 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)

Thanks in advance.
There is a new (although narrow) route that takes you directly to kundalahalli from Gunjur avoiding the painful Varthur market/ police station stretch.

Sarjapur-Gunjur is mostly 4 laned now so you won't face much traffic until Gunjur unless you get stuck around the school closing hours.

However this area is heavily prone to waterlogging on the slightest of rains, so would avoid this if it is raining by the time you reach Hosur and take the normal route via Electronic City.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 20:06   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can do Hosur Sarjapur very easily by taking Nallur road.
Recently - a local delivery truck driver in Hosur advised me against taking this route late in the night. He was insistent I go via Bagalur town (this was around 1 AM and I had my wife with me). I didn't press for reasons.
Old 24th October 2023, 22:09   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently - a local delivery truck driver in Hosur advised me against taking this route late in the night. He was insistent I go via Bagalur town (this was around 1 AM and I had my wife with me). I didn't press for reasons.
I once took it at around 9.30-10pm and that time itself seemed deserted and a little scary. Since then if after 8, I just take the Bagalur route.
Old 24th October 2023, 23:00   #748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes absolutely! No interior roads late in the night. I always stick to that principle. No matter how delayed it gets, if its late, I will always suggest to stick to regular roads.
Old 4th November 2023, 21:14   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone knows the latest condition of the Sarjapur-Chikka Tirupathi- Hoskote Route?
Old 5th November 2023, 09:49   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Anyone knows the latest condition of the Sarjapur-Chikka Tirupathi- Hoskote Route?
I really dont know. But I would say dont take it. Since the STRR work is on full swing I doubt if any they would pump money to fix it. Sarjapur to Chikka Tirupati has always been good. But beyond is what I doubt.

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2023 at 06:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks