Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 20:42   #706
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query

1. Lungi in ‘Tamil’ means those coloured ones that comes with checks or flower patterns and is bright and Multi coloured. ‘Dhoti’ is the one that’s in white and has those lined borders. There are ‘Safron’ coloured dhotis as well. The 300 rupees does need one to be in a Dhoti. ‘Lungi’ by its South Indian definition isn’t allowed.

2. Women need to wear a Sari. For any other dress, they insist for a Dupatta.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 21:30   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
1. Lungi in ‘Tamil’ means those coloured ones that comes with checks or flower patterns and is bright and Multi coloured.
Ohh, is it? My west indian brain always thought it to be a cloth that you wrap in a cylindrical shape waist down, while a dhoti is something that, how to describe, is to be worn in such a way that you separate both legs with one end of the cloth.

If in south India the white one is called dhoti but the colored one is called lungi, even when method to wear both is the same then that explains my reason for not understanding.

BTW, I am annual visitor to Tirumala for last 25 years. I used to get either an Arjitha Seva or a special darshan. But in addition I used to get Divya Darshan too whenever I went by stairs. The Divya+Sarva darshan did not require dress code adherence. I could go in shirt pant and some of the other fellow devotees in the same queue too were having trousers.

Last edited by shipnil : 27th March 2022 at 21:38.
shipnil is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 05:50   #708
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shipnil.

Even today, the Sarva Darshan doesn’t have a dress code. I have, in the past walked up all the way in a shorts and have still managed darshan with my shorts.

Normally the darshan I used to prefer was the AAD, early in the morning. I don’t even know how to book that Seva ticket. It’s only the SeegraDarshan that’s available online I think.
Old 28th March 2022, 10:34   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally the darshan I used to prefer was the AAD, early in the morning. I don’t even know how to book that Seva ticket. It’s only the SeegraDarshan that’s available online I think.
Not sure what you mean by AAD - is it one of Archana or Ashtadalam? If yes, the tickets for Suprabatha Darshanam, Thomala Seva, Archana, Astadalam and Nijapada Darshanam can be availed online, but not through direct booking.

Since the number of tickets for these sevas is very low, TTD uses a electronic random allotment mechanism, for which interested users can register when TTD opens the registration each month. It is called as Seva Electronic DIP.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:02   #710
BRV
BHPian

For visual representation

Dhothi
Name:  Dhoti.JPG
Views: 703
Size:  19.6 KB

Lungi
Name:  Lungi.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  35.4 KB

Note: Lungi's are not allowed in majority of the temples across South India
BRV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:41   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have, in the past walked up all the way in a shorts and have still managed darshan with my shorts.
Is it ? Had no idea.

I've noticed Sarva Darshan men (in jeans or suchlike) wearing a cheap roadside 'dhoti' covering up the western dress part. Always thought it was forced on to them as western dress is not allowed.
Old 28th March 2022, 12:08   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Another silent rule is that women are not allowed to wear flowers in their hair.
Yes, the reason is that , all flowers in Tirumala are considered/dedicated only for lord and not for humans. Its not really a silent rule, but in few places TTD had mentioned the rules - Do's and Don'ts in Tirumala. For e.g., no alcochol, no non-veg, flowers only for god, etc...

Quote:
1. Lungi in ‘Tamil’ means those coloured ones that comes with checks or flower patterns and is bright and Multi coloured. ‘Dhoti’ is the one that’s in white and has those lined borders. There are ‘Safron’ coloured dhotis as well. The 300 rupees does need one to be in a Dhoti. ‘Lungi’ by its South Indian definition isn’t allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post

Note: Lungi's are not allowed in majority of the temples across South India
Thanks jkrishnakj and BRV. That's exactly my point and thanks for helping to bring clarity. Guessed its the interpretation issue in different languages/regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Ohh, is it? My west indian brain always thought it to be a cloth that you wrap in a cylindrical shape waist down, while a dhoti is something that, how to describe, is to be worn in such a way that you separate both legs with one end of the cloth.

If in south India the white one is called dhoti but the colored one is called lungi, even when method to wear both is the same then that explains my reason for not understanding.

BTW, I am annual visitor to Tirumala for last 25 years. I used to get either an Arjitha Seva or a special darshan. But in addition I used to get Divya Darshan too whenever I went by stairs. The Divya+Sarva darshan did not require dress code adherence. I could go in shirt pant and some of the other fellow devotees in the same queue too were having trousers.
No worries Shipnil. Hope we all are on same page now It puzzles me why TTD allows pants for free darshan when they insist on dhoti for rest all other darshan/sevas. I don't see a good logic in it , but it is what it is. IMHO, they should keep it consistent and make dhoti or traditional attire for anyone who enters the temple, regardless of darshan tickets or sevas etc.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 28th March 2022 at 12:10.
ravib is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:10   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
Thanks for this information. To be honest, I was not aware of the difference between Dhoti & Lungi and hence I was using these words wrongly these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I've noticed Sarva Darshan men (in jeans or suchlike) wearing a cheap roadside 'dhoti' covering up the western dress part. Always thought it was forced on to them as western dress is not allowed.
This is what somewhat similar I do. I wear jeans from Bangalore to Tirumala. I replace jeans with shorts and then wear Dhoti on top of the shorts. Immediately after i come out of main temple, I remove the Dhoti, fold it and carry it in a plastic bag (which I carry it in my shorts pocket).
As I am not used to wear Dhoti/Lungi, I feel very much uncomfortable wearing these.

Note to Mods: Request you to merge my posts.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th March 2022 at 12:24. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:21   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
It puzzles me why TTD allows pants for free darshan when they insist on dhoti for rest all other darshan/sevas. I don't see a good logic in it , but it is what it is. IMHO, they should keep it consistent and make dhoti or traditional attire for anyone who enters the temple, regardless of darshan tickets or sevas etc.
While I really dont believe in dress code for worship, I think for Sarva darshan which is free, there might be certain classes of people who cant even afford to come in the demanded dress code and hence TTD does not want to impose dress code. But for the paid darshans, perhaps the expectation is that people can be in an economic position to make a choice of clothes. Just my thoughts and would not want to judge someone by the sort of darshan they take. But generally for some people visiting Tirumala is a huge thing in terms of the cost and thats what they sometimes save money to do. If traditional dress code is what they wear as a part of daily life, then it wont be an additional burden. But for someone who is used to wearing other types of clothes, then they would have to spend some money in getting the type of dress code TTD would want.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:28   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think for Sarva darshan which is free, there might be certain classes of people who cant even afford to come in the demanded dress code and hence TTD does not want to impose dress code. But for the paid darshans, perhaps the expectation is that people can be in an economic position to make a choice of clothes. Just my thoughts and would not want to judge someone by the sort of darshan they take. But generally for some people visiting Tirumala is a huge thing in terms of the cost and thats what they sometimes save money to do. If traditional dress code is what they wear as a part of daily life, then it wont be an additional burden. But for someone who is used to wearing other types of clothes, then they would have to spend some money in getting the type of dress code TTD would want.
You have a point in bringing different perspective and it makes sense to me. I agree for those who economically cannot afford another dress, TTD would have considered it.

On your other statement , yes its very true that people cannot really goto Tirupati/Tirumala whenever they like. They plan for years and save money for very long time and then make a trip. Its really a big thing or an yearly event or for some even a very rare thing to visit Tirumala and having darshan of lord. Absolutely agree on that part !

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 28th March 2022 at 12:31.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 14:16   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Not sure what you mean by AAD - is it one of Archana or Ashtadalam?
I think AAD stands for Archananantara Darsanam. As already clarified by adisan, it is available there under Seva on the online portal. But it now follows the lottery system. All the morning sevas (Suprabhatam, Archana, Thomala, Nijpada Darsanam etc.) which are performed on the main deity are available under Seva DIP. Earlier, prior to pandemic, the lottery used to be done on per month basis. In the last two years, they were completely stopped. TTD has resumed the Seva DIP from April now. But I think they are going quarterly from now on. The lottery for April to June was completed on 22nd March. For the next quarter, they might conduct in May or June.

If you get a morning seva, they are a far more peaceful darshan experience. Also, it allows you to take darshan few steps closer (beyond Jay-Vijay) to the Lord compared to what you get in Special / Sarva / Divya darsan.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 18:48   #717
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Shipnil, adisan. Someday I shall try for the 'Seva'. Its indeed the Archanantara Darsanam. I have some great memories of those very peaceful times up there, very early morn.

As for some folks tying a Dhoti on top of their shorts that they use while walking, they mostly have a Rs.300/- ticket that they will join post reaching the top. The only times I have managed darshan with shorts is when I walked all the way up and joined the Sarva Darshan Queue.

Meanwhile, I was just on the TTD portal and I am surprised to see several days of May/June having slots availability. Literally, 1000's of Seegradarshan tickets available. For those who were planning, please do visit the portal and book one. I just booked for myself towards end May. I got one trip coming up on 30th March as well. Can't wait.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 28th March 2022 at 18:48. Reason: Spelling
Old 29th March 2022, 08:24   #718
Senior - BHPian

After the the shocking unavailability of accomodation at Tirumala and Tirupati, I managed to get a hotel in Tirupati. So the wait for the journey now starts.

The reason I asked about the dress code is that I have a fussy teenager at home who how somehow feels wearing a dress against his wish is a sign of subduence. Hence I made him read all the above posts and now he's agreed to wear a dhoti and a simple Shirt (coloured is his choice).

Any idea of the approximate time required for the darshan on a Friday at 1600 hrs. What time should I expect to complete the darshan, around 1800-1900 hrs??
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:59   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any idea of the approximate time required for the darshan on a Friday at 1600 hrs. What time should I expect to complete the darshan, around 1800-1900 hrs??
Yesterday my friend got darshan in about 2 hours. So yes, you can expect to finish darshan by 6 pm or so, but friday, saturday and sunday takes little more time. Budget for 3 to 4 hours. If possible try to enter the queue by 2.30 pm or 3 pm itself as i suggested earlier, post lunch.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 12:02   #720
Senior - BHPian

Ghodlur- he can wear a shorts and wear the Dhoti over it (like how my teenage son does). 2 hours would be a good estimate. I’m there tomorrow morning and will share how long it takes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks