Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 17:52   #1

Mumbai - Hampi : Route Queries

Hello friends!

I'm planning for a road trip to Hampi from Mumbai in my Lancer.I would like to know about the road conditions especially from Hubli to Hampi.I spoke with few people/friends , some say that the traffic on this road (Hubli to Hampi) seems to be horrible due to speeding trucks carrying iron ores and even the roads are bad/bumpy w lot of speed-breakers.Since i'll be driving my beloved Lancer (w tubeless tires) would like to get some feed back on road conditions.I've already checked the route on mapmyIndia. It would be great if anyone can share your experiences from Mumbai-Hampi route.

Thanks
Raj
Old 8th September 2011, 17:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Hampi : Route Queries

Bumping this old thread up since I am planning to do a Pune-Hampi trip (and thenceforth to Bangalore) in October.

Route suggested by Google maps is:

Pune--> Hubli (NH4)--> Gadag (NH 63)--> Hospet (NH 63) --> almost till Bellary (NH63)--> Hiryur (Bellary-Hiriyur Road)--> Bangalore (via NH4)

I am wondering if a better route would be to continue on from Bellary towards Anantapur and take NH7 all the way into Bangalore. That will also get me to the city centre faster than approaching it from NH4 side (I presume).

We plan to stay over near Hampi (Hospet?)- recommendations for a reasonable yet clean accomodation welcome.
Old 8th September 2011, 17:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Bumping this old thread up since I am planning to do a Pune-Hampi trip (and thenceforth to Bangalore) in October.

Pune--> Hubli (NH4)--> Gadag (NH 63)--> Hospet (NH 63) --> almost till Bellary (NH63)--> Hiryur (Bellary-Hiriyur Road)--> Bangalore (via NH4)

I am wondering if a better route would be to continue on from Bellary towards Anantapur and take NH7 all the way into Bangalore. That will also get me to the city centre faster than approaching it from NH4 side (I presume).

We plan to stay over near Hampi (Hospet?)- recommendations for a reasonable yet clean accomodation welcome.
- Pune-Hampi will need NH63 from Hubli till Hospet. That is the correct route.
- Hampi-Bangalore : Hampi-Hospet-Bellary-Chalkere-Hiriyur-Bangalore.
- Places to stay: At Hampi there is a KSTDC (Mayur). At Hospet: Mallgi and Royal Orchid.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 17:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@ampere- so what you're saying is I should NOT head towards NH7 from Bellary and instead tke NH4? Is there any7 specific reason for that? I was hoping to squeeze in as many routes as possible? Return will be direct along NH4 anyway.

I have stayed once at Malligi LONG ago (98-99 or so) and was really impressed by it. Wll probably park there this time as well.
Old 8th September 2011, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Do not go to Bellary please! Never Ever! There are no roads bellary side, only dirt tracks where mining trucks are the only creatures that run.

Pune to Hubli is a breeze cz of the NH$. Hubli to Gadag and Hospet is good. Average speed would be greater than 80. There are speed breakers every town, so beware of them. As you approach Hospet (After Koppal to be precise) the road will start getting broken (as of Dec 2010) Hubli to Hospet you can cover in 3 hours in day.

Hospet to Hampi is 20 mins drive. Hampi itself doesnt have good hotels, while hospet does. But I always prefer to stay in Hampi. There are very good cheap cottages across the river in Hampi. For them you will need to park your car on the main Hampi side and cross the Tungabhadra in a boat. The cottages on the other side offer a good double bed room for Rs 500, and the food their is plain awesome. From very good israeli, continental to spanish you will get everything. And just cant forget their chocolate pancakes Have been to Hampi 5-6 times and now go there more for food than for sight seeing. The main tourist attractions are on the main hampi market side only. Would be glad to plan out Hampi outing for you.

From Hampi/Hospet I would recommend you going by Chitradurga route only (ie NH 13 and then NH4). The whole stretch around Bellary is horrible to drive (Although since the banning of mining in the area truck traffic would have reduced)
Old 8th September 2011, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
noop, I have been planning to go there too either in October or November. Dates would be finalised based on some other pending logistical confirmations

There is another more recent Hampi travelogue with recommendations of places to stay and route details from Bangalore that you may find useful
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html

I have been informed by a friend that roads around Bellary are quite bad and avoidable.

If and when you decide to stay across the river do ensure that the boat service is working as I read somewhere that the service is suspended when waters are released. Quite likely right now than in October, but better to be aware nevertheless

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th September 2011 at 17:47.
Old 8th September 2011, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If and when you decide to stay across the river do ensure that the boat service is working as I read somewhere that the service is suspended when waters are released. Quite likely right now than in October, but better to be aware nevertheless
Yes generally the boat gets stopped after 1-2 in the noon due to the rising water. What we do is we directly go to the other side by car. The other side is accessible by a 20 mins drive from hospet. So in total it is 40 mins from one side of the river to the other (via hospet) I am sure I would have confused you by now.
I will attach a map and show you the two sides
Mumbai - Hampi : Route Queries-hampi.png

Shanti cottages is the best ones amongst all the cottages. If you do not plan to stay for long in Hampi, it would be good if you stay in Haspet or main Hampi.
Old 8th September 2011, 18:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so what you're saying is I should NOT head towards NH7 from Bellary and instead tke NH4? Is there any7 specific reason for that? I was hoping to squeeze in as many routes as possible? Return will be direct along NH4 anyway.
Yep, you'd rather take the NH4 and NH63 combo; NH7 is terrible.

We thought the same - let's try diff. routes; everyone advised against it. The hotel manager, the locals - they know the condition of the road well and they say it's best you stick to NH63.

Quote:
I have stayed once at Malligi LONG ago (98-99 or so) and was really impressed by it. Wll probably park there this time as well.
Hotel Malligi is really good even now; though October being peak-season, it might get pricey (~2k for a standard a/c double bed).

Royal Orchid is a luxury hotel (~8k for double bed) so that's that if you want to be spoilt and pampered.

These 2 are in Hospet.

Staying in Hampi doesn't make much sense unless you plan to roam around Hampi on a bicycle (staying closer helps). Hospet - Hampi is a good drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have been informed by a friend that roads around Bellary are quite bad and avoidable.
You needn't enter Bellary. On that excuse of a SH that goes towards Bellary, there is a railway crossing about 20kms before Bellary that puts you on the Bellary bypass. It is an extremely missable railway bypass (we missed it on the way to Hampi but unknowingly were on it on the return journey); you can check the pic on my Hampi travelogue. The bypass is bliss to drive (at least was before rains!)

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th September 2011 at 18:13.
Old 8th September 2011, 18:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

@noop,

I hope your question with respect to Bellary, is related to Hampi-Bangalore part of the journey.

If that is the case, then yes, you need to go to Bellary. Dont take NH13 from Hospet to
Chitradurga. Instead go to Bellary and take the SH to Hiriyur via Chelkere. But yes there is a bypass at Bellary which would take to the SH.

Here is the route link:

Unknown road to NH 4 - Google Maps

PS: I did not understand where is the NH7 aspect coming from?

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2011 at 18:51.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't Anantapur close to Bellary? Can't you connect to NH7 from there?
Old 8th September 2011, 20:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not worth taking that option.
Roads would be in pretty bad shape. Access to Hampi is much better via NH4.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 20:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

Since you are driving from Mumbai why don't you do this route

Mumbai - Belgaum - Badami - Hampi and back in the same route

Mumbai, Maharashtra to Hampi, Karnataka - Google Maps

We did this road in 2008 during our Bangalore - Hampi - Badami - Goa trip and roads were decent between Hampi and Belgaum.

The advantages

a) The roads till Belgaum on NH 4 is topclass.

b) SH 20 from Belgaum to Badami via Yaragatti & Ramdurg. Till Yaragatti is top class. After that it is decent road.

Belgaum, Karnataka to Badami, Karnataka - Google Maps

c) Opportunity to see Gokak falls on the way - A small deviation

d) Spend a day in Badami visiting World heritage sites of Badami - Aihole - Pattadakal. I always advsie clubbing this heritage complex with Hampi as it is so near to each other but generally missed out.

e) The road form Badami to Hampi again a single lane but is doable.

f) The road from Belgaum to Badami is covered by greenery through out.

d) You will avoid NH 63 from Chitradurga to Hampi which is the traditional route but bad

Stay at

a) Badami court in badami
b) Malligi in Hampi

Raoyal orchid is no VFM.

Last edited by Fauji : 8th September 2011 at 20:29.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 09:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its raining now in Hampi. Check weather before you start in Oct.
Hopefully it would have quietened by then.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-anyone-5.html
Old 9th September 2011, 11:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@Fauji- that looks like a great option, mate. Thanks!

@ampere- this is in end of Oct- hopefully the monsoons have died down by then. Only problem is the roads may be in bad shape by then.

As things stand will take the Pune-Belgaum-Badami-Hampi route, then Bellary-Hiriyur-Bangalore on NH4.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Fauji- that looks like a great option, mate. Thanks!

@ampere- this is in end of Oct- hopefully the monsoons have died down by then. Only problem is the roads may be in bad shape by then.

As things stand will take the Pune-Belgaum-Badami-Hampi route, then Bellary-Hiriyur-Bangalore on NH4.
You are welcome noopster. take alook at this nice travelogue on Badami - Hampi by Biju

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ttadakkal.html
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks