Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I am also trying to workout a backup alternate route. Since I have a e71 with GPS, I was trying to load OVI maps customized and need some tips from users of the same here.
On E71, best route is:

1. Install Garmin Mobile XT
2. Purchase Maps from Satguide ( Cost : 2k )

In my experience, routes + POI info in Pune/Mumbai/Delhi/Uadpur is excellent.

OVI maps does not have details outside 7 - 8 major cities.

EDIT : You can check OVI maps coverage online on : Ovi Maps - Find Places

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 3rd December 2009 at 22:24.
Old 4th December 2009, 05:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The route is almost 99.99%
I am also trying to workout a backup alternate route. Since I have a e71 with GPS, I was trying to load OVI maps customized and need some tips from users of the same here.

Since I am not really sure, I am not booking any hotels enroute and would finalize the same by 6pm everyday. Is that a good idea. ?
YOu can check out the following links for route infor:

LADAKH Sep 2009 - hvkumar | Google Groups
This one has route details till Kathua, after which I have taken teh shorter route to Udhampur, bypassing Jammu

http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...ripSep2003.xls
This one has the Srinagar-Jammu route, where you can see the turn off point for Katra at Domel

I do not think there is any need to make any advance bookings. Carry numbers of all JKTDC resorts en route, call them 2-4 hours in advance while on the road and check if they have room and block it, else try the next JKTDC resort on the route.

And please avoid the downloadable maps.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Current situation in Ludhiana and Srinagar have got me a little worried.
Any suggestions on bypassing ludhiana altogether ?
Old 4th December 2009, 23:45   #34
BHPian

You can definitely give Ludhiana a miss. You will have to continue on to Chandigarh from Ambala and then proceed to Jammu via Hoshiarpur
Old 5th December 2009, 05:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Current situation in Ludhiana and Srinagar have got me a little worried.
Any suggestions on bypassing ludhiana altogether ?
I don't think you should worry - NH1 is an important highway and traffic will not be affected. In any case, take the Ludhiana and Jalandhar bypasses.

Srinagar is in and out of curfews and bandhs. Nut constant bandhs and hartals can affect your travel plans.

Last edited by hvkumar : 5th December 2009 at 05:13.
Old 5th December 2009, 16:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't think you should worry - NH1 is an important highway and traffic will not be affected. In any case, take the Ludhiana and Jalandhar bypasses.

Srinagar is in and out of curfews and bandhs. Nut constant bandhs and hartals can affect your travel plans.
Ok
I assumed I had to pass thorough ludhiana and not take the by pass road via tranport nagar ?

HVK, I am a little bit lost on taking the ghorebunder road which leads to surat. Sorry havent travelled much towards mumbai side.
From your log

Quote:
Zero point is Kalamboli where the Pune- Bombay expressway ends.

Expressway end-Belapur, 8 kms

Belapur-Turbhe Flyover, 7 kms
I got lost here
Quote:
10 kms from Turbhe, the road goes down into a subway and at the signal in the subway, turn left. This is Airoli, and the subway (after you turn left) goes under the railway line. DONT go straight although that also goes to Thane.
Turbhe-Airoli, 10 kms
Go on this road 16 kms and you will reach the NH8 junction at Ghodbunder (immediately after a toll gate - Rs 15), which is after you climb up and down a small ghat.
At the NH8 junction, turn right (left goes to Dahisar/Bombay) and it is all the way.
Old 5th December 2009, 16:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Keep a watch on the Ludhiana situation - hopefully, blockades of NH1 will be controlled by the cops.

You got lost?
Old 5th December 2009, 16:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep a watch on the Ludhiana situation - hopefully, blockades of NH1 will be controlled by the cops.

You got lost?
Sure will do.. As akadian has said, I can bypass ludhiana altogether, are there any alternatives you want to suggest?

I mean i got confused.. lots of left/right turns

Quote:
10 kms from Turbhe, the road goes down into a subway and at the signal in the subway, turn left. This is Airoli, and the subway (after you turn left) goes under the railway line. DONT go straight although that also goes to Thane.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 5th December 2009 at 16:55.
Old 5th December 2009, 16:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think the route suggested by Akadian is the best route to avoid Ludhiana if required. But try to go via Ludhiana as far as possible, unless situation deteriorates further.
Old 12th December 2009, 22:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the route suggested by Akadian is the best route to avoid Ludhiana if required. But try to go via Ludhiana as far as possible, unless situation deteriorates further.
Definetly HVK. Thanks for the tip akadian
Old 14th December 2009, 11:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Ok

HVK, I am a little bit lost on taking the ghorebunder road which leads to surat. Sorry havent travelled much towards mumbai side.
From your log
Rahul, The ghodbunder road connects the eastern exp highway(thane) to the
western express highway(near vasai).

from Pune jump on the expressway. when you exit the expressway, continue on that highway, till you see a big road bend which has directions for Vashi,Mumbai with a flyover on the left. Continue straight on that point and you will be on the Thane-Belapur road. Ask anyone for thane belapur road and they will guide you as well. Keep going straight on the T-B road and you will come to a bridge.Cross that Thane creek bridge, past the circle, take the first right that comes. the road will wind to the left and come to an intersection of roads. Take right on this larger road and keep going straight on it. Couple of speed bumps and you will see a big junction intersection which has about 5 roads merging in on that circle. You need to take a round and take the right towards the eastern exp highway(the second road on the right side while approaching the junction). Follow this road, cross the eastern exp highway and now you will be on the Ghodbunder road. Stick to the road and you will reach the toll gate after about 10 odd kms. After the toll gate, take the right on the western exp highway and you should be on your way.

Just check out the directions visually on google maps as well. login with your gmail id and in my maps, create a map with starting and ending points, it should draw the same.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Lonford

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am getting a grip on it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Rahul, The ghodbunder road connects the eastern exp highway(thane) to the
western express highway(near vasai).

from Pune jump on the expressway. when you exit the expressway, continue on that highway, till you see a big road bend which has directions for Vashi,Mumbai with a flyover on the left. Continue straight on that point and you will be on the Thane-Belapur road. Ask anyone for thane belapur road and they will guide you as well. Keep going straight on the T-B road and you will come to a bridge.Cross that Thane creek bridge, past the circle, take the first right that comes. the road will wind to the left and come to an intersection of roads. Take right on this larger road and keep going straight on it. Couple of speed bumps and you will see a big junction intersection which has about 5 roads merging in on that circle. You need to take a round and take the right towards the eastern exp highway(the second road on the right side while approaching the junction). Follow this road, cross the eastern exp highway and now you will be on the Ghodbunder road. Stick to the road and you will reach the toll gate after about 10 odd kms. After the toll gate, take the right on the western exp highway and you should be on your way.

Just check out the directions visually on google maps as well. login with your gmail id and in my maps, create a map with starting and ending points, it should draw the same.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:27   #43
BHPian

Travel query from Chittorgarh to Pathankot

Hi All,

I am planning a road trip from Pune to Jammu in December.
I did the same trip last year in November and am familiar with the routes except for the one i took after entering Punjab. Below is the route i took:

Chittorgarh-Kishangarh-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Bhatinda-Amritsar-Pathankot.

My journey was extremly quick till Abohar but thereafter i had to put the breaks on as the roads were in a really bad condition after Abohar till Amritsar. From Amritsar as well, the road till Pathankot was a single lane and took a lot of time.

To time it, I started from Chittorgarh at 4:30 AM and reached Abohar at 2 PM. But i could only manage to reach Pathankot by 8:30 PM.

I require your help in figuring out another route that could help me reach Pathankot without going through Amritsar. I also want to avoid the Delhi route as am sure i will get stuck in traffic and waste a lot of time in crossing Delhi.

Would really appreciate your help here.

My Plan is as below:

Start Date : 13th Dec 2012
Leave in the evening for mumbai(have friends there)

14th Dec 2012
Start at 3 AM from Wadala(Mumbai) and head towards Chittorgarh. Should be able to reach by 1700 hrs as last time around i made it there at 1800 hrs in my i10.

15th Dec 2012
Start at 4 AM from Chittorgarh and travel towards Kishangarh.
The query starts from here and I require your help to figure out which way to take.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:26   #44
BHPian

re: Pune - Jammu - Pune : Route Queries

Hi HVK,

Can you help me with the current road conditions and which route to take.. I'll then furninsh the complete plan and get started with my plan..
Old 1st November 2012, 10:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Jammu - Pune : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrahul View Post
Hi HVK,

Can you help me with the current road conditions and which route to take.. I'll then furninsh the complete plan and get started with my plan..
Ideally, go via Bombay on GQ route till Kishangarh, then avoid Jaipur, Delhi & NH1 north of Delhi by taking the Bhatinda superhighway.

The route profile is as follows:
Pune-Bombay (please follow the bypass guide)-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozepur-Zira-Amritsar-Pathankot-Jammu.

You can also go from Abohar via Jalandhar, but the road widening mess around Jalandhar can make it less preferred to going via Amritsar.

Here is the detailed route plan:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzW...3ZPSG95Qjl6VWM

Here is the detailed guide to bypass BOmbay (also listed in the detailed route plan above):
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkuma...bypass---south
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks