Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2024, 02:27   #1396
BHPian

Re: The joys of Mumbai’s airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
During college I used to frequently fly from Mumbai T2 to Chennai and vice versa. The other friend used to text his dad as soon as we were near the Arrival exit so that he could drive to the Departure Level. He used to go there and was also an easy hack for him to get away with the parking charges. Not advisable but hey you can give this a try too.
New rule at T2, if you are a single/only person in a car, (driving it) it is obvious you aren't going to drop anyone, no entry into Departures.
It would be better to wait in the parking lot and plan it for <30 mins.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 15th February 2024 at 02:27. Reason: Typo
neofromcapone is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:03   #1397
BHPian

Re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
New rule at T2, if you are a single/only person in a car, (driving it) it is obvious you aren't going to drop anyone, no entry into Departures.
It would be better to wait in the parking lot and plan it for <30 mins.
Ah! Well done!
I am sensing a business opportunity here. An App called T2KaSaathi. Get your additional person at the airport entrance of your choice. They could, depending on the package selected, bring their own luggage and/or boarding pass to pass as genuine travellers.

Last edited by MadinMumbai : 15th February 2024 at 11:04. Reason: Getting the quote to work is a nightmare.
MadinMumbai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 12:07   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
The other friend used to text his dad as soon as we were near the Arrival exit so that he could drive to the Departure Level. He used to go there and was also an easy hack for him to get away with the parking charges. Not advisable but hey you can give this a try too.
This was always a dodgy hack. I have done this a couple of times and got away with it. But, if the traffic marshals hanging around the departure lanes spotted your car trying to do a pick up, they could ask you to move on and not allow the passenger to get in. Have seen that also happen while I was waiting there.

I used to walk through the parking (crossing Starbucks), take the ramp down to the bus stand and have the driver pick me up on that road. Even with the ongoing road closure here, you can walk along the road to the current location of the bus stand (about 3-4 min walk) and have the driver come there.

But the bigger point is that these are all hacks that regular travelers with little baggage and familiarity of the airport landscape can figure out. If you are picking up someone new to the airport, traveling with baggage after a long international flight in the middle of the night, you can't possibly give them instructions on this basis. You have to park the car in the airport parking and meet them at the gate to be able to direct them. And that's where things really go for a toss with the state of the parking and pick-up arrangements.

Last edited by graaja : 15th February 2024 at 12:42. Reason: Minor typo; please avoid using "..." style of writing
reverse_gear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 09:07   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Hi all, I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Paris. Currently looking at Emirates for the flights. I wanted to know if a 1H55M layover at Dubai would be sufficient to catch the connecting flight? Or should I opt for a flight with a longer layover?
DXB security check takes no time at all. You are good to go.
Old 16th February 2024, 09:22   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
An update regarding the above, I compared the the fares of Lufthansa with those of the Delta/Air France/KLM/Virgin alliance (the base fare changes with time, and these were the ones current when checked):

Thank you very much for your guidance.
I Flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt last year, and onwards to the US. I switched to United at Frankfurt, and if you have a valid US visa, there's no need for a transit visa. Before you board your flight at the transit point, the airline staff will re-verify your passport and visa and ask basic questions.

If it helps anybody else here, if there's a domestic connecting flight one takes after landing in the US, your luggage is offloaded and one needs to collect it at the conveyor after clearing immigration. Once collected, the airline you're flying with onwards, usually places a member of staff nearby to collect it from you once you're past the customs officer and have handed your declaration slip.

From what I remember, you will be asked for passport and visa details while checking in. Also, you can add that information to your profile I guess.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th February 2024 at 09:44. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 16th February 2024, 09:25   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Firstly, there is no pick-up point. You have to park (and of course PAY) if you are picking anyone from this airport. The parking is crowded and badly managed but one can survive it if one is in a good mood. I was not, but that’s only partly the airport management’s fault. Others, like the metro construction and general road maintenance have to share some of the blame.
First time when i heard this is how things work at the T2 i didn't believe, until i saw it myself.

How on earth can someone allow an airport without a pickup point ?

I now make it sure we never book a flight that arrives on T2, thankfully currently i am only flying local and most of the local flights still use T1.

Off late i have observed even the drop point at T2 becomes chaotic during peak hours and there is nobody to control the traffic.
Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 09:37   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I got to experience the worldcrass infrastructure we are building.
Everything we build is indeed world class. How could you possibly argue that? Except that we give two hoots about pedestrian access or safety.

Have you seen how we build foot over bridges at Railway stations? The zig zag length will equal about 1 kilometer (in feel), by the time you get to the end of it. More so if you really have to ferry someone who is disabled. A vast majority of stations have no other way to get to the other platform. I'd prefer walking to either ends of the platform to get across. A simple electronic alarm is all that is needed for a warning of an approaching train.

I have yet to see anything designed and built keeping pedestrians in mind. You don't exist in their drawings. Some private malls have dedicated walkways but hey, when did you ever have the right of way at a pedestrian crossing.

Mumbai airport is so busy that I wonder if the concept of a pick up point will ever work out. Our hero drivers will use that as a parking spot, holding placards. You'll have a traffic jam.

I've only been through a few of our airports. Bangalore, Kochi are my regulars. The former now has a Terminal that looks the part. Chennai was a construction site when I last visited in December 2022. However, not one of these Terminals have anything designed to cater to someone who has to walk somewhere. eg : Parking to terminal. I don't know when that mindset will change.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 09:52   #1403
BHPian

While not a hack, but there is a ramp going down near the exit gate which is mostly empty. We arrived in the evening from Delhi at T2 and was shocked to see my father was able to find a spot that had no cars around him. This is level P4.

From exiting the gate (near Starbucks) to taking one escalator to P4 to the car and getting out by paying through Fastag in Lane-1 was done all under 10mins.

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-img_0256.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 10:03   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't know when that mindset will change.
Not in my lifetime. I only hope by the time my kids are old people sense will have dawned on the planners. By then we will be wish-va-gurus for sure, and, possibly, the biggest economy in the universe.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 10:07   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
) what are the other options to get some peaceful sleep?
In Delhi T3, you can find many easy chairs (dentist's chair type) placed near boarding gates. Most of them are usually occupied. Its better to walk to the farthest of gates which are usually less crowded and has many of these chairs vacant. Its comfortable to rest and catch a good sleep.
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 11:46   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
One had to wonder at the genius at work here. How can you create a parking with no access to the stairs? What happens in the case of a fire? If I remember right this Airport was touted as one of the world’s best when it was made recently. What happened? Did the ‘ED aided’ corporate takeover result in some leakage of good sense?
Right after reading your post today, came across another tragic news of an incident at Mumbai airport, though this is not airport specific, rather airline specific, but still...

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../107732847.cms
Old 16th February 2024, 12:01   #1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Hi all, I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Paris. Currently looking at Emirates for the flights. I wanted to know if a 1H55M layover at Dubai would be sufficient to catch the connecting flight? Or should I opt for a flight with a longer layover?
I have traveled multiple times with 1H55M layover at DXB, shouldn't be a problem. Please ensure that you are not making two different bookings but have one PNR for both sets of legs. Let the cabin crew know as well about your connecting flight. Rest- DXB is very well managed for streamlined operations.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th February 2024 at 12:02. Reason: Minor formatting correction
Old 16th February 2024, 12:05   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. As a seasoned traveller you seem to have 'cracked the code' . I will keep this in mind when I do this next time.

But the larger point remains - The unfortunate average Joe, who doesn't do this often, has a nightmarish experience. There is no reason the experience should be so. One shouldn't have to possess a special instruction booklet to navigate the airport. Signages, access points etc, should be boldly displayed and free of encumbrances. There is no reason why one set of stairs should be any different from another set of stairs. And there is no reason why a person can't be picked up from the curb without having to first go into a warren like parking.
hello sir,

I frequent the Mumbai airport for family pick up and drops.

2 unsolicited advice ::

1. One trick is to use the 'premium' parking on P6. This P6 has a direct exit access as well. They charge 50 bucks more than regular parking but the P6 area is more or less hassle free and you dont have to queue up with the rowdie olas and ubers of the world. I use this if i am picking up my parents or some of my office visitors.

2. another well oiled machinery is to simply wait on the kerb of the WEH just before the left turn to enter the elevated road to the airport. ask the arriving passanger to take a lift to P10 and pick him up from the departures area. no parking hassles and no fees to be paid.

Regards
Diesel
Old 16th February 2024, 13:08   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Today I got to experience the worldcrass infrastructure we are building.
Firstly, there is no pick-up point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Mumbai T2 is absolutely one of the worst airports to get out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
1. One trick is to use the 'premium' parking on P6.
+1. This is by far the best of the 3 hacks to use. Actually, we cannot call it a hack, it seems to have been designed that way by the airport to make more money !! But honestly, best thing to do, if one has lot of luggage, senior citizens, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Even with the ongoing road closure here, you can walk along the road to the current location of the bus stand (about 3-4 min walk) and have the driver come there.
+1.
This is by far the best options other than the premium parking one. Ends up saving a lot of time as well.

The 3rd in order of preference would be pickup at departure gate. I would rank this the last because there is a lot of walking to be done, is more chaotic and there is a probability of not being allowed to the departure area. So there is a risk/luck involved.
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 13:23   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
2. another well oiled machinery is to simply wait on the kerb of the WEH just before the left turn to enter the elevated road to the airport. ask the arriving passanger to take a lift to P10 and pick him up from the departures area. no parking hassles and no fees to be paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
The 3rd in order of preference would be pickup at departure gate. I would rank this the last because there is a lot of walking to be done, is more chaotic and there is a probability of not being allowed to the departure area. So there is a risk/luck involved.
There are several online complaints about drivers and travellers being charged for pick up at P10. Link 1 Link 2

I have myself seen this happen on occasion. Unless it is someone who is agile enough to monitor the movement of traffic marshals and sneak in when they are not looking, I would be reluctant to follow this route. Especially, you don't want to be embarrassed after being caught doing something like this in front of your house guest.

Most Viewed