Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2024, 15:55   #1381
BHPian

Re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
I'm wondering why folks need to pass immigration checks to catch their connection? Would they be able to do at all without a transit visa?
I said they DO NOT have to pass through immigration for transit connection. Not sure if there was a misunderstanding.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd February 2024 at 21:21. Reason: Typo
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:51   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Hello. I seek your advice on the below situation.

I'm about to book return tickets for my daughter (13) and wife (43) for their flight from Bangalore to Detroit (BLR-DTW) this April.

3. They have two choices of routes:

Bangalore - Frankfurt (FRA) - Detroit (Lufthansa)

OR

Bangalore - Paris (CDG) - Detroit (Air France/Delta)

Disregarding the layover periods and flight durations (they change based on dates), which one should we prefer? I hear Air France/Delta operates in a seamless manner, without a need to collect baggage and recheck-in at CDG.
An update regarding the above, I compared the the fares of Lufthansa with those of the Delta/Air France/KLM/Virgin alliance (the base fare changes with time, and these were the ones current when checked):

With Delta/Air France/KLM/Virgin:

- with 1 free checked bag up to 23kg per passenger:
-- Rs. 2.6L. There is no option for seat selection even after check-in.

- with 2 free checked bags up to 23kg each per passenger:
-- Rs. 2.78L, with free seat selection after check-in.
-- Rs. 2.84L, with paid seat selection before check-in (seat selection chargeable only for the BLR-AMS flight at Rs. 2.7K per seat, and free for the other legs).

With Lufthansa:

- with 1 free checked bag up to 23kg per passenger:
-- Rs. 2.25L. There is no option for seat selection even after check-in.
-- Rs. 2.65L, with paid seat selection before check-in, at Rs. 5K per seat per leg. This is what I ended up booking.
-- Rs. 2.73L, with paid seat selection as above and one paid extra checked bag up to 23kg for the DTW-BLR flight at Rs. 7.8K per bag per flight. I will opt for the one paid extra checked bag up to 23kg for the DTW-BLR flight, which we might need to accommodate all items that are to be got for family and friends.

Some questions:

1.Can experts please let me know if I could have done anything better with respect to the above choices?

2. I completed the booking and payment at the Lufthansa website and received confirmations for the same, but wasn't asked for any passport-based information (passport numbers, validity etc.). When must I furnish these details? I have booked other international flights earlier and always had to supply such information while doing so.

3. With respect to the requirement for a transit visa for the layover at Frankfurt, both Lufthansa website and that of MakeMyTrip state that this as a requirement. But, this website and this document that is current up to November 2023 state that no such visa is needed if the passengers "hold a valid visa for the United States of America". This condition holds true for our case (but the visas are on the older passports and not the current ones). Do I therefore assume that such transit visas aren't needed?

Thank you very much for your guidance.
Old 5th February 2024, 20:55   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
3. They have two choices of routes:

Bangalore - Frankfurt (FRA) - Detroit (Lufthansa)

OR

Bangalore - Paris (CDG) - Detroit (Air France/Delta)
Just a couple of points to keep in mind - I find Air France seats the least comfortable. Hardly any cushioning at all.

On the other hand Lufthansa food is very less for me and always end up landing horribly hungry.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:19   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
3. With respect to the requirement for a transit visa for the layover at Frankfurt, both Lufthansa website and that of MakeMyTrip state that this as a requirement. But, this website and this document that is current up to November 2023 state that no such visa is needed if the passengers "hold a valid visa for the United States of America". This condition holds true for our case (but the visas are on the older passports and not the current ones). Do I therefore assume that such transit visas aren't needed?
I am quite sure that airport transit visa is not needed in Schengen countries if you are transiting to the US on a valid visa.
reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:26   #1385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
I am quite sure that airport transit visa is not needed in Schengen countries if you are transiting to the US on a valid visa.
I'd be a bit careful on this aspect. Rules are being tweaked (tightened mostly), and there are a few Schengen countries which have instituted a mandatory transit visa rule even if through-booked on a single airline and holding a valid US visa.

Best to check directly on the respective airline/airport/country authority websites,
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 17:21   #1386
BHPian

The joys of Mumbai’s airport

Today I got to experience the worldcrass infrastructure we are building. For a change I wasn’t travelling, but instead was there to pick up an octogenarian, who was arriving at the shiny Terminal 2. Typically, when I travel, I alight at the drop off and walk into the airport and it is smootish. On my return, there’s the Uber/Prepaid taxi battle (which is offputting in its own way, I guess) but nothing prepares you for the experience Adaniji has curated if you choose to pick anyone from the airport.

Firstly, there is no pick-up point. You have to park (and of course PAY) if you are picking anyone from this airport. The parking is crowded and badly managed but one can survive it if one is in a good mood. I was not, but that’s only partly the airport management’s fault. Others, like the metro construction and general road maintenance have to share some of the blame. The senior citizen I had to pick up was told to wait by the Starbucks in case I got late owing to traffic. Of course, I got late. There was a jam to beat all jams to get into the airport parking. In fact, the jam started all the way outside the Leela, which is more than a kilometre away from the parking. Anyway, the Starbucks is a comfortable enough place to wait, so no complaints on that score.
Secondly, Once I parked, I was on P5 level. And the person I was receiving was on P6. No biggie, I thought. A small flight of stair will take me up, and I was right. But, before I could reach the stairs, I had to navigate my way through parked motorcycles. Parked tight, with the precision of a MAHDA bricklayer, these motorbikes left no way to squeeze through. Anyway, I channelled my inner gymnast and vaulted over three rows of scooter to get to the stairs, which, as I had thought, took me up to P6 in a matter of 10 odd stairs. Chalo lesson learnt. Will alight from a different side.

I met the octogenarian, and was glad to see that she was carrying one light suitcase. As luck would have it, there is a flight of stairs right next to the Starbucks where she was. This being a different flight of stairs, from the one I had taken previously, I assumed it would lead to a different experience. We walked down the 10 odd stairs to get to P5 where my car was parked. But, instead of finding a clear path to the car parking, we were once again confronted by motorbikes parked tightly in a grid. We were completely boxed in. This situation was far worse than the stairs at the other end, because, this was also the path for incoming motorcycles. How the hell does one get an 80 something year old person to vault over 3 rows of bikes? We decided that the bikers were coming into the parking so there must be a way out on that side to get out and started walking in that direction. Now, we were stuck amongst incoming bikers, most of who (not all though) were considerate and didn’t honk or rev up threateningly. All in all, it was harrowing and with great difficulty we managed to get past the sea of bikes to reach our car.

One had to wonder at the genius at work here. How can you create a parking with no access to the stairs? What happens in the case of a fire? If I remember right this Airport was touted as one of the world’s best when it was made recently. What happened? Did the ‘ED aided’ corporate takeover result in some leakage of good sense?

On the way out I decided to chat with the parking supervisor. For my complaints I got a toothy smile and made-up name of a manager (Rajesh Yadav) who I could, if I wished, complain to. There was no number where this manager could be reached though.
MadinMumbai is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 21:44   #1387
BHPian

Re: The joys of Mumbai’s airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
One had to wonder at the genius at work here. How can you create a parking with no access to the stairs? What happens in the case of a fire? If I remember right this Airport was touted as one of the world’s best when it was made recently. What happened? Did the ‘ED aided’ corporate takeover result in some leakage of good sense?
Mumbai T2 is absolutely one of the worst airports to get out of. If you are traveling alone (without much baggage), you can figure your way out after a few visits. But pick-up is an eternal nightmare. It has always been bad and continues to deteriorate on an ongoing basis. The road through the bus and auto stand at T2 has been dug up for repairs for over 3 years! How does it take so long to fix a 300 m section of road? Escalators at the exit don't go to all floors, they seem to be randomly arranged. Some of the staircases are unusable (as you have discovered). They have big counters and booths for payment of parking fee, but they are rarely manned or functional and the car lines to exit parking can be horrendous. And inside the parking lot, it is complete chaos, in so many different ways. Even getting an Ola/Uber is an absolute pain, having to dodge between pillars, trolleys and randomly parked vehicles just to locate your vehicle (after it has negotiated the 10 minutes wait in queue to get into the parking lot).

After having been there hundreds of times, I am mentally prepared for the worst whenever I have to go there. But, sorry, this is no way to manage an airport. Forget being world class, in my humble opinion, it is a modern disgrace to our city.
reverse_gear is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 22:18   #1388
BHPian

Hi all, I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Paris. Currently looking at Emirates for the flights. I wanted to know if a 1H55M layover at Dubai would be sufficient to catch the connecting flight? Or should I opt for a flight with a longer layover?
Old 13th February 2024, 22:48   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
I wanted to know if a 1H55M layover at Dubai would be sufficient to catch the connecting flight? Or should I opt for a flight with a longer layover?
As long as your flight is on time DXB is streamlined enough for your 1H55M layover to be easily doable. I think if that’s the most convenient flight you can stick to it. This layover is also ok for IST if you find a good TK flight.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 11:04   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Mumbai T2 is absolutely one of the worst airports to get out of. If you are traveling alone (without much baggage), you can figure your way out after a few visits. But pick-up is an eternal nightmare.
I know the new airport owners are profit oriented. But how can you have an airport that doesn't allow for pick up? The forced parking (all for a few lousy bucks) might still be forgiven if the system worked for either those being picked up or those picking up. It's a nightmare of an experience and definitely not something befitting the financial capital of the world's 3rd, 4th or 5th largest economy.
MadinMumbai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 11:41   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
T
Secondly, Once I parked, I was on P5 level. And the person I was receiving was on P6. No biggie, I thought.

All in all, it was harrowing and with great difficulty we managed to get past the sea of bikes to reach our car.
Hello MadiMumbai, I come to Mumbai a lot and always at T2. I usually have my office cab pick me up and the driver always asks me to come out of Gate C. We alight from the flight of stairs exactly opposite the Gate C, near the elevators. I may have a cabin bag at max, so getting down the flight of stairs is always faster than waiting for elevators. That takes us down to P5, where they have pre-payment counter on the way - the driver pays parking charges to avoid waiting line at exit. I may be very lucky but typically it has never taken me more than 5 mins to exit the airport once I get out of the Gate C at T2. I dont recall where the Starbucks is, but you may want to use this route in the future. BTW, I usually land at Mumbai between 8 - 10 AM and situations may be different later in the day.
Completely agree on your observations of getting out - Leela, Sakinaka are always bumper to bumper
GJ01 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:09   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
I may be very lucky but typically it has never taken me more than 5 mins to exit the airport once I get out of the Gate C at T2. I dont recall where the Starbucks is, but you may want to use this route in the future.
Thanks for the tip. As a seasoned traveller you seem to have 'cracked the code' . I will keep this in mind when I do this next time.

But the larger point remains - The unfortunate average Joe, who doesn't do this often, has a nightmarish experience. There is no reason the experience should be so. One shouldn't have to possess a special instruction booklet to navigate the airport. Signages, access points etc, should be boldly displayed and free of encumbrances. There is no reason why one set of stairs should be any different from another set of stairs. And there is no reason why a person can't be picked up from the curb without having to first go into a warren like parking.
MadinMumbai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 13:14   #1393
Senior - BHPian

For an upcoming domestic travel, I have about 7 hours to spend in the Delhi T3 at night. With airport lounges only providing for 3 hours before the departure (technically only 2 hours) what are the other options to get some peaceful sleep?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 01:03   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, there is no pick-up point. You have to park (and of course PAY) if you are picking anyone from this airport.
They tried this at Delhi T3 for a good amount of time period, thankfully they have now reverted back to the old layout. I'm fine if they want to charge me for kerbside pickup, deduct it from my fastag for being in the zone for >5min but don't force us to go into parking!
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 01:19   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, there is no pick-up point. You have to park (and of course PAY) if you are picking anyone from this airport.
During college I used to frequently fly from Mumbai T2 to Chennai and vice versa. All 3 of us friends used to travel together while coming back to Mumbai. Two of us used to book a cab and could easily get one. The other friend used to text his dad as soon as we were near the Arrival exit so that he could drive to the Departure Level. He used to go there and was also an easy hack for him to get away with the parking charges. Not advisable but hey you can give this a try too.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 15th February 2024 at 01:26.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed