Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 16:18   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No, I haven't done it. Is it required? I normally never do webcheckin for myself.

Also, my mom will have wheelchair assistance so they usually help her with the checkin.
As another member had posted, it may not be compulsory. But me being me, I always complete it in advance; at least a day before.
Old 25th July 2023, 16:26   #1337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just booked a ticket for my mom on a domestic Indigo flight. While choosing seats, the chart showed not a single free seat left - so I clicked skip & went ahead with booking the ticket. What happens now? Will she be allotted a seat at checkin or will she have to pay during checkin time?
I highly, highly recommend selecting a seat (it is typically, 250 - 750) when travelling as a family or with children / senior citizens. Almost every airline now assures only the most uncomfortable seats (middle, back of the plane) for those who don't select seats (i.e. pay for them). What's worse is that with this, families are separated, and this becomes a problem when traveling with a small child.

In your specific case, since your mother is travelling by herself, get her a nice seat (preferably aisle, front of the plane) so she is not inconvenienced.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 18:09   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I haven’t personally used it, but I have heard some good reviews about it. Check out the link.

https://www.aviserv.co/aviserv-sleeping-pods/
Indeed, I was seeing this option. It almost costs 9k for 4hrs for two people. Was wondering if its really worth it or maybe easier to find a hotel nearby which probably will cost the same but with space and shower.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 14:19   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Was wondering if its really worth it or maybe easier to find a hotel nearby which probably will cost the same but with space and shower.
Connecting to Coimbatore (CJB) from EU or US is always tricky as international flights land late at night and domestic connections to CJB start next morning. After certain age (say student/college age) you want to get some rest elsewhere than airport while transiting. I found sleeping in pods or just long hours waiting at airport a pain in the ass. Usually I book to BLR / BOM / DEL direct from AMS and stay at some hotel overnight and proceed further to CJB

If you have 9hrs, I would recommend checking out courtyard or lemon tree hotels which is a short taxi ride (they too offer pickup which is even more convenient) from BOM. Should cost around 100USD/EUR and the rest is worth it for a fresh arrival to family/friends/work the next day. And then you don’t feel sleepy next whole day.

PS : For me it is a no brainer to spend a fraction of my flight costs on resting while transit. i find it strange people spend thousands of USD/EUR on international flight tickets sitting hours in an aircraft, but not a hundred or two for proper rest.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 14:29   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I haven’t personally used it, but I have heard some good reviews about it. Check out the link.

https://www.aviserv.co/aviserv-sleeping-pods/

I have used Radisson Blu near to Mumbai T2 for overnight transits for my company executives visting from London. They also provide airport pick up and drops at a nominal charge .

https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us...d+h:INMHBOMAIR
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:47   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Connecting to Coimbatore (CJB) from EU or US is always tricky as international flights land late at night and domestic connections to CJB start next morning. After certain age (say student/college age) you want to get some rest elsewhere than airport while transiting. I found sleeping in pods or just long hours waiting at airport a pain in the ass. Usually I book to BLR / BOM / DEL direct from AMS and stay at some hotel overnight and proceed further to CJB

If you have 9hrs, I would recommend checking out courtyard or lemon tree hotels which is a short taxi ride (they too offer pickup which is even more convenient) from BOM. Should cost around 100USD/EUR and the rest is worth it for a fresh arrival to family/friends/work the next day. And then you don’t feel sleepy next whole day.

PS : For me it is a no brainer to spend a fraction of my flight costs on resting while transit. i find it strange people spend thousands of USD/EUR on international flight tickets sitting hours in an aircraft, but not a hundred or two for proper rest.
Agree, I think the same,the extra 100 odd euros as "part of the ticket cost". I always transit via Delhi and stay at Aerocity, have my route, hotel and timelines.

My question was more on what are good options esp Bombay (as I have not transited this route) has two terminals and getting cabs for short distances are a pain in the neck. Not looking for suggestions to on whether to spend the money but on what is a "good" recommended option.
kraft.wagen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 19:30   #1342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Awhat are good options esp Bombay (as I have not transited this route)
1. JW Marriott Sahar: Located close by, have pick up and drop, reasonable rates. Very cozy rooms.
2. Radisson Blu: Mumbai International Airport: Same facilities as option 1.
3. Holiday Inn: Saki naka junction, Mumbai International Airport, an IHG Hotel: Nice food, Have many other food options nearby (Pop Tate's is one I tried). Little far (by 1 Kms or so) than option 1/2. Have pick up and drop.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2023 at 20:24. Reason: minor typos
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 20:36   #1343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just booked a ticket for my mom on a domestic Indigo flight. While choosing seats, the chart showed not a single free seat left - so I clicked skip & went ahead with booking the ticket. What happens now? Will she be allotted a seat at checkin or will she have to pay during checkin time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

In your specific case, since your mother is travelling by herself, get her a nice seat (preferably aisle, front of the plane) so she is not inconvenienced.
+1 to libran's opinion.

While free seats are randomly allocated and one sometimes gets lucky, free seats are more often than not the most uncomfortable ones (middle if solo traveler), and often back of the plane.

I mostly fly Indigo, and prefer their flexi-fare option. Usually 10-15% over their standard fare, but perks include a snack + beverage and a free standard seat of your choice (or 50% discount on an XL seat). Booking on their app now also gets convenience fee (~350 INR) waived off. Front-row seat (so last in, first out) + something to munch & sip in-flight + quick access to cabin crew if you need help with anything (very useful for senior citizen or child travelers), for not a lot more than standard ticket prices.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2023 at 20:39.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 21:54   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
While free seats are randomly allocated and one sometimes gets lucky, free seats are more often than not the most uncomfortable ones
Last week I took an Akasa Air flight and system allocated 32F, right window seat of the last row. Upon request during baggage drop, they allocated me 16A (emergency exit).

During return journey I took Indigo and system allocated me 2B and 4B.

On a side note, there is a lounge recently opened in Guwahati (GAU) airport. It's a small lounge and found it very crowded during our visit in May 2023. But last Sunday I counted only 5 people + me at around 8:00 pm. It seems they have now severely restricted cards and only specified cards from Banks are accepted.
Old 31st July 2023, 15:59   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
No, I haven't done it. Is it required? I normally never do webcheckin for myself.

Also, my mom will have wheelchair assistance so they usually help her with the checkin.

My understanding is, if you book for wheel chair assistance, you cannot select a seat. The flight will allocate a seat, usually at the front or at the back. This is done so that the person can be easily transferred to and from the wheel chair. More chances are that, it will be in the back of the flight unless you had booked business class.

Also, I would suggest you to do web check-in whenever possible, as most of the budget airlines outside India charge you for doing check-in at the counter.
Old 14th September 2023, 19:20   #1346
BHPian

@Mods: Didnt find a thread specifically for Mumbai International Airport. Plz move if not the appropriate thread

BREAKING NEWS: A Private Jet crash landed at Mumbai International Airport today at approx 5 PM.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/priv...ndtv_topscroll

https://x.com/ANI/status/1702310133928542412?s=20

I started seeing multiple BOM flights being diverted to AMD and then searched to find of this accident. There seem to have been 6 Pax and 2 Cabin crew in the aircraft. This happened on runway 27, which is the main runway at BOM airport

The aircraft was registered VT-DBL, (A Learjet 45 / registered to VSR Ventures) flying in from Visakhapatnam to Mumbai.

Last edited by GJ01 : 14th September 2023 at 19:24.
Old 16th September 2023, 10:56   #1347
BHPian

Not a frequent traveller.
Travelling today from MAA to BOM.
Is printed copy of ticket required at airport?
Flight is Indigo.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 16th September 2023 at 11:08.
Old 16th September 2023, 11:13   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Is printed copy of ticket required at airport?
You don't need a printout of anything at all; you can show the ticket confirmation / boarding pass to CSIF at the airport gate, at the Security check and the boarding pdf / email while boarding.

If you have baggage to be checked-in, you can request them to not print the boarding pass, and they'll give you just the baggage tags.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:24   #1349
BHPian

I have a booking with Indigo for CJB-BLR on a weekday evening. Because of the Pratt & Whitney engine failures mid air (recently 3 incidents reported in India and Indigo’s A320 family jets are the most affected), thinking of changing the booking to spicejet (equipment : de Havilland dash D-200) or go by road. I have an international connection to catch from BLR and am not sure how reliable Spicejet is. Suggestions from frequent flyers on spicejet’s service reliability welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 16th September 2023 at 22:34.
Old 16th September 2023, 23:09   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I have a booking with Indigo for CJB-BLR on a weekday evening. Because of the Pratt & Whitney engine failures mid air (recently 3 incidents reported in India and Indigo’s A320 family jets are the most affected), thinking of changing the booking to spicejet (equipment : de Havilland dash D-200) or go by road. I have an international connection to catch from BLR and am not sure how reliable Spicejet is. Suggestions from frequent flyers on spicejet’s service reliability welcome. Thanks.
IMHO you should stick to your current IndiGo flight and not worry too much. The PnW engineers are on a small percentage of their aircraft, of which a significant number are already grounded.

I for one will never travel on a Spice Jet flight.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks