Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 11:45   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
An unfortunate consequence of Brexit: Indians (as with other foreigners) can't travel to the UK on European carriers that have a halt in a European country, without a Schengen or transit visa. This has been so since 1-Jan but the full effect will be seen only now, given resumption of flights without restrictions.
Not sure how they would enforce it though. Most EU airports have a Schengen and a non Schengen section. Coming from India, you would always go via the non Schengen section. If you are transferring to a non Schengen country on most EU airports you would not pass immigration. You would just walk to the other gate.

Jeroen
Old 31st May 2022, 14:21   #1232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Coming from India, you would always go via the non Schengen section. If you are transferring to a non Schengen country on most EU airports you would not pass immigration. You would just walk to the other gate.
Yes, but this transit without EU Visa is only available for US/ Canada visa/ green card holders and like. They need to add the UK to that list.

On the subject, KLM has allowed transiting to the UK, not sure about Lufthansa.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...chengen-visas/
Old 31st May 2022, 15:05   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how they would enforce it though. Most EU airports have a Schengen and a non Schengen section. Coming from India, you would always go via the non Schengen section. If you are transferring to a non Schengen country on most EU airports you would not pass immigration. You would just walk to the other gate.

Jeroen
My experience has been that if you are an Indian passport holder and have to transit through any Schengen country, enroute to a non Schengen country, you need a Schengen visa (barring the exceptions for Green card holders etc).

They enforce it by ensuring that you have a valid Schengen visa before you board. If you don't have a valid schengen visa the airline denies you boarding. There are no checks at the Schengen airport

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 31st May 2022 at 15:08.
Old 31st May 2022, 17:13   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how they would enforce it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
On the subject, KLM has allowed transiting to the UK, not sure about Lufthansa.
Is the rule enforced by respective immigration authorities of the country or the airlines? Can the airline override the visa requirement?
Old 31st May 2022, 17:45   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
My experience has been that if you are an Indian passport holder and have to transit through any Schengen country, enroute to a non Schengen country, you need a Schengen visa
Slightly different. If you are changing just one Flight in any Schengen Zone, you (Indians) do not need Schengen Visa. However, if you are changing flight Twice within Schengen Zone, Schengen Visa is a must.

For example
DEL - FRA- SFO
DEL - CDG - SFO
Schengen Visa is Not required. I have been through this and similar route more than Ten times.

But
DEL - FRA - ZUR - SFO
Schengen Visa is required
Old 31st May 2022, 18:32   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Slightly different. If you are changing just one Flight in any Schengen Zone, you (Indians) do not need Schengen Visa. However, if you are changing flight Twice within Schengen Zone, Schengen Visa is a must.
Not entirely correct. All my travels involve only a single change in Schengen area and have always required a Schengen visa. I travel mostly to Africa and regularly transit through CDG.
Your case, I assume, will anyway require a Schengen visa (or exemption) because you are entering the Schengen area, isn't it?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2022 at 19:26. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Old 31st May 2022, 18:43   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have an early morning (3.30AM) flight from Dubai and I am checking out of my hotel the previous morning. So one night, I need to spend at DXB.

I expect to reach the airport by 9PM and my intention is dinner, a nap and freshening up just before the flight. All told, perhaps 4-5 hours of stay.

Which (paid) lounge is recommended?
1. Do you plan to come out of DXB Airport? (Arrival and Departure dates are not mentioned. )
2. Lounge will depend on which terminal your using. DXB has 3 terminals. Hope it is not terminal 2.
3. Which airline you are using?

I can provide information based on above input.
top_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:47   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
I can provide information based on above input.
Oh sorry, my trip starts from DXB - I am not transiting - and it is T3 (Emirates). There are 3 lounges listed here and there is EK's own lounge. Different price points and quality of service.
Old 31st May 2022, 19:52   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Is the rule enforced by respective immigration authorities of the country or the airlines? Can the airline override the visa requirement?
Both and no

Airlines tend to check your travel,documentation such as passport and visa very carefully. If they don’t and let somebody through without the correct papers, they will need to repatriate that person at their cost. So they have an incentive to check. But they can’t override visa requirements. Immigration is the only authority who can make a binding decision to allow or not allow somebody into a country.

Jeroen
Old 31st May 2022, 22:45   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Oh sorry, my trip starts from DXB - I am not transiting - and it is T3 (Emirates). There are 3 lounges listed here and there is EK's own lounge. Different price points and quality of service.
Ok.

You can use Emirates Lounge if you are Silver/Gold Member with them. You dont have to pay any charges.

If not silver/gold member, Marhaba offers more variety in food and drinks. Bit crowded but equally big with smoking zone.

I prefer Ahlan as it is less crowded and bit peaceful.

Check with your credit card card providers if they support complimentary visit to dubai lounge.

Any query in/for DXB, PM me. (I dont have PM facility yet)
top_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 14:59   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer Ahlan as it is less crowded and bit peaceful.
Thanks. Is Ahlan and Lounge @B the same? It seems to be perfectly suited for my timing and budget.
Old 1st June 2022, 21:36   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Not entirely correct. All my travels involve only a single change in Schengen area and have always required a Schengen visa. I travel mostly to Africa and regularly transit through CDG.
Your case, I assume, will anyway require a Schengen visa (or exemption) because you are entering the Schengen area, isn't it?
No. I am not crossing Immigration at Schengen zone. Just change flight. No change of Airport. Maybe it is the US Visitor Visa that allows this facility. But, I have never taken a Schengen Visa and have mostly had a flight change at Frankfurt, Munich, Paris and London flying to and from USA
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:44   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Is Ahlan and Lounge @B the same? It seems to be perfectly suited for my timing and budget.
Please check with your service provider if you will have access t o concourse B before making payments. It depends on departure gate.

At DXB airport, my credit cards gives complimentary access , so i dont do much research.
Old 2nd June 2022, 18:40   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check with your service provider if you will have access t o concourse B before making payments.
Well, I booked it anyway. From what I've seen in the past there are no passage controls between the concourses of T3 at DXB.
Old 2nd June 2022, 19:31   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I booked it anyway. From what I've seen in the past there are no passage controls between the concourses of T3 at DXB.
Well, it is walking distance that matters. You can access lounge only after security check which depends if you have boarding pass in hand.

Good thing is T3 has only Emirates so you can try checking in early to make most of your paid money.

All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks