Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 03:20   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Anybody has long distance experience in Lufthansa and Swiss airlines?

I am planning to fly from USA to India and back. I am looking at a multiple airline option which has Lufthansa from USA to Mumbai and Swiss from Mumbai to USA.

How is the food, entertainment and QoS on these two? Any first hand opinions would be great. thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 04:32   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have traveled on Lufhtansa many times and mostly they have been uneventful, the transit point in Frankfurt can be pretty crowded and congested, its better to finish all the washroom activities before the transit. Food is strictly OK and nothing to rave about.

In case you need special meals like AVML, Jain food, its better to reconfirm before traveling.

We just traveled back to US yesterday on BA and it was just perfect, no delays , no weather hassles nor Olympic related rush at T5 of Heathrow.One nitpick was that they messed with the AVML request and for the London to Phoenix segment , they served the regular vegetarian meal of Pasta and suace.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:35   #483
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to fly from USA to India and back. I am looking at a multiple airline option which has Lufthansa from USA to Mumbai and Swiss from Mumbai to USA.

How is the food, entertainment and QoS on these two? Any first hand opinions would be great. thanks
I have travelled in most of the European airlines including Air France, Swiss and Lufthansa, nothing to rave about both the services, not bad as well. Food is just OK on most of the European Airlines and have not faced any delays or baggage loses on any of them. I found Air France to have better leg room compared to most of them, but seat cushoning is less.

Last edited by 2500cc : 14th August 2012 at 20:37.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:55   #484
BHPian

Any opinions on Jet Airways lately on the London-Mumbai sector ?

I flew Jet 2 years ago and it was a good experience, I would not say great, but good. Any comparison with the Emirates service will be helpful. The Christmas ticket prices are forcing me to move away from Emirates as it has always been my preferred airline.
Old 14th August 2012, 21:11   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I found Air France to have better leg room compared to most of them, but seat cushoning is less.
+1. The leg room in LH is worst. Worst than the emirates. Most of there flights to & fro India has no in-seat video too.

I should agree, their food is really good.
Old 14th August 2012, 21:15   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I have traveled on Lufhtansa many times and mostly they have been uneventful, the transit point in Frankfurt can be pretty crowded and congested, its better to finish all the washroom activities before the transit. Food is strictly OK and nothing to rave about.

In case you need special meals like AVML, Jain food, its better to reconfirm before traveling.

We just traveled back to US yesterday on BA and it was just perfect, no delays , no weather hassles nor Olympic related rush at T5 of Heathrow.One nitpick was that they messed with the AVML request and for the London to Phoenix segment , they served the regular vegetarian meal of Pasta and suace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I have travelled in most of the European airlines including Air France, Swiss and Lufthansa, nothing to rave about both the services, not bad as well. Food is just OK on most of the European Airlines and have not faced any delays or baggage loses on any of them. I found Air France to have better leg room compared to most of them, but seat cushoning is less.
Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I have never traveled thru European Airlines. All the time its been Emirates. But this time the difference in flight cost is too much to ignore.

How about baggage allowance? 2 Bags per person is free or they charge us?

I was looking at the flight schedule and it says one part of the trip that says Lufthansa is operated by United Airlines. So will the baggage rule of United Airlines be applicable or Lufthansa's. The reason i ask is UA has $25 for first bag and $35 for 2nd bag as baggage cost. I don't wanna pay extra and bring the total flight cost same as Emirates.

Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 21:48   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just back last week from a Chennai to Gothenburg (via Frankfurt) Lufthansa trip.

Food: Not bad at all - asian vegetarian was quite good. Nothing to write home about, but it sufficed.

Entertainment: The flight had those personal entertainment screens. Content was meh, and not very engaging. Also if you're used to using any modern touch screen device these screens are a pain to use. I like Jet's entertainment system more.

Seats: Not impressed. Bad legroom. Uncomfortable seats. Not much padding.

Service: Fine. No complaints.

Frankfurt: Convenient. You don't have to walk much. Also, the EU border control police are so much nicer here (as opposed to Brussels where the treat you like a criminal )

All in all, if you're getting a good deal - go for it.
Old 16th August 2012, 08:15   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I have never traveled thru European Airlines. All the time its been Emirates. But this time the difference in flight cost is too much to ignore.

How about baggage allowance? 2 Bags per person is free or they charge us?

I was looking at the flight schedule and it says one part of the trip that says Lufthansa is operated by United Airlines. So will the baggage rule of United Airlines be applicable or Lufthansa's. The reason i ask is UA has $25 for first bag and $35 for 2nd bag as baggage cost. I don't wanna pay extra and bring the total flight cost same as Emirates.

Thanks
As per IATA rules, the initiating carrier's rule applies throughout the legs of the itinerary.
Also - UA charges 1st bag 25 and 2nd bag 35 for domestic - the rules are different for international.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:42   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
As per IATA rules, the initiating carrier's rule applies throughout the legs of the itinerary.
Also - UA charges 1st bag 25 and 2nd bag 35 for domestic - the rules are different for international.
For international, UA is same as Lufthansa or Swiss Air. Its $100 for 2nd bag. 1st bag is free.

Now i am confused. Because all things considered, the difference between Lufthansa and Emirates is just $150-$200.

I read lots of reviews for Lufthansa and most are negative with things ranging from poor seat comfort, lots of family leaving their children playing around in the aisle, bad food and delayed flights. I am seriously considering spending extra on Emirates as i can be assured of good, comfortable seats, good food and on time flights.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:25   #490
BHPian

Quote:
...I am seriously considering spending extra on Emirates as i can be assured of good, comfortable seats, good food and on time flights.
My suggestion, go with Emirates...limbs are more important than 100 USD
Old 20th August 2012, 15:05   #491
BHPian

Marhaba Service at Dubai airport - Is it prompt and efficient ?

Hi Bhpians

I have some queries on the airport transfer facility at Dubai Airport. Its called the Marhaba service. I am looking to avail this service for my mother's travel from UK to India via Dubai. I am looking to get this service because this is her first international flight without any company, she flew with my brother from India to UK. She speaks a little English and can understand it, sans the accent. She can read the boards as well. But she might get anxious if things get a bit too busy. I just wish to ensure that she has a trouble free travel, I will equip her with mobile phone with international roaming enable so she can call me in case of any issues. The main concern is the short transit time, she has exactly 1 hour 30 minutes for this.

I was told by one distant friend that he used this service for his parents and it was good. I just wish to get some more reviews if anyone has used this service before. Your comments on the following points will help.

1. Are they true to their promise of picking you up at the aerobridge at T3 ? I reckon the biggest confusion for my mom will be to divert towards transfers instead of exit when she arrives in the terminal.
2. Do the personnel assisting you speak any other language than English ? My mother will be comfortable in understanding English, but if a request for Hindi can be met, nothing better than that.
3. What can be done in case she does not find some one waiting to receive her ? The best I reckon will be to ask a member of Emirates for some assistance in locating the gate and as I said in moving towards the transfer instead of exit.

Any comments and opinions are much appreciated.
Deepak

Mods: I could not find a similar thread, please merge if appropriate.
Old 20th August 2012, 22:14   #492
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marhaba Service at Dubai airport - Is it prompt and efficient ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
Hi Bhpians

I have some queries on the airport transfer facility at Dubai Airport. Its called the Marhaba service. I am looking to avail this service for my mother's travel from UK to India via Dubai. I am looking to get this service because this is her first international flight without any company, she flew with my brother from India to UK. She speaks a little English and can understand it, sans the accent. She can read the boards as well. But she might get anxious if things get a bit too busy. I just wish to ensure that she has a trouble free travel, I will equip her with mobile phone with international roaming enable so she can call me in case of any issues. The main concern is the short transit time, she has exactly 1 hour 30 minutes for this.

I was told by one distant friend that he used this service for his parents and it was good. I just wish to get some more reviews if anyone has used this service before. Your comments on the following points will help.

1. Are they true to their promise of picking you up at the aerobridge at T3 ? I reckon the biggest confusion for my mom will be to divert towards transfers instead of exit when she arrives in the terminal.
2. Do the personnel assisting you speak any other language than English ? My mother will be comfortable in understanding English, but if a request for Hindi can be met, nothing better than that.
3. What can be done in case she does not find some one waiting to receive her ? The best I reckon will be to ask a member of Emirates for some assistance in locating the gate and as I said in moving towards the transfer instead of exit.

Any comments and opinions are much appreciated.
Deepak

Mods: I could not find a similar thread, please merge if appropriate.
Marhaba is excellent with their services.If its just a case of directing your mom to transfers,I dont think you really need to opt for Marhaba,Emirates would more than happily take care of it.Moreover DXB airport is majorly manned by Indian EK staff and they are more than obliging all the time.

Marhaba ofcourse comes with a slightly premium price tag and for a person just doing a transit through DXB,it really isnt much of a value since its just a move from Gate to Gate and there would be more than enough airline staff who speak all the regional Indian languages.Moreover if shes flying EK on both the legs,EK staff would ensure that she goes to the next gate(thats a part of their responsibility).IMHO,EK would do the job for you-no need for the Marhaba services.Having said that,Marhaba works excellent at Dubai & Bahrain.

marhaba corporate
Old 20th August 2012, 23:38   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Marhaba is excellent with their services.If its just a case of directing your mom to transfers,I dont think you really need to opt for Marhaba,Emirates would more than happily take care of it.Moreover DXB airport is majorly manned by Indian EK staff and they are more than obliging all the time.

Marhaba ofcourse comes with a slightly premium price tag and for a person just doing a transit through DXB,it really isnt much of a value since its just a move from Gate to Gate and there would be more than enough airline staff who speak all the regional Indian languages.Moreover if shes flying EK on both the legs,EK staff would ensure that she goes to the next gate(thats a part of their responsibility).IMHO,EK would do the job for you-no need for the Marhaba services.Having said that,Marhaba works excellent at Dubai & Bahrain.

marhaba corporate
Thanks ranjitp1. I know the EK staff will be more than helpful, it's just that I want to ensure my mom doesn't feel anxious as this will be her first unaccompanied flight. If the service is good, I think paying £25 is not much of a problem for the peace of mind it will buy me and her.
Old 20th August 2012, 23:52   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My suggestion, go with Emirates...limbs are more important than 100 USD
Thanks, that's what i did.

Can't go wrong with Emirates.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:04   #495
BHPian

Would be travelling home from London to pune around mid of November.

Company's travel agency is booking on aerofloat London-Moscow-Delhi-Pune sector.

When i checked online, could see it is cheapest deal for business class. Have never travelled aerofloat but friends have. Common complaint is the delays.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with aerofloat?

Rgds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks