Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 18:36   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
Thanks. Plan is to mostly lounge around in a resort with quick visits to Mullayangiri and Kemmangundi
Roads leading to both these places will not be in good shape or rather, these places may be inaccessible in general due to the rains in the last few months.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 20:16   #317
BHPian

Big thanks to @dailydriver with the suggestions of whom and with the bit of research on the internet and Google maps, we did the wonderful road trip of this year to Chikmagalur.

This time I and my wife decided to go to Chikmagalur but not to the regular places like Mullayyanagiri, Hebbe falls, Kemmannugundi or Bababudangiri.
We planned for a quick visit on the weekend. From our previous visits, we had a fair idea of narrow hill roads at Chikmagalur and the chaos created by tourist vehicles.

So this time the plan was to drive till Chikmagaluru from Bengaluru and then rent a two-wheeler there for the local rides. Wanted to rent a RE Himalayan but due to non-availability had to settle for Activa 5g
But it never disappointed us during our 2 days 200+ km run within interior and few difficult stretches too.

We took below route to reach Chikmagalur
Bengaluru > Tumakuru > Tipaturu > Banavara > Javagal (To visit spectacular Sri Lakshmi Narasimha swamy temple) > Belavadi > Kalasapura > Magadi Handpost > Chikmagalur

Note: Never ever try Tumakru bypass road as it is in a complete mess and doesn't seem to get ready for at least next 6 months. Belavadi > Kalasapura > Magadi Handpost is real fun to drive road with complete peace of mind.

After completing hotel check-in at Chikmagalur town and getting the rented scooter we headed towards Hirekolale lake which is around 10 km from the town.
Spending around 30 mins there we rode towards Mallanduru Sunset point (As marked in the map), later came to know that it is actually Mallandur shooting point.

We took Chikkakolale > Kabbinahalli > Ulluvagilu > Jakkanahalli > Mallanduru to reach the spot. This route is super scenic and a must-try.

Spent that evening at calm and quiet Mallandur shooting point and took back Mallandur road to get back to town.

I have attempted to capture the beauty of this ride here even though it doesn't make full justification, enthus can take a look...

ThilakNex is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:46   #318
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Given the current condition of roads inside Hassan City, best is to take the longer route which is peaceful and adds extra 5 minutes to overall time to get out of the city peacefully.
On my way back from Sringeri, stopped at Hotel Raama for lunch. I was told by the staff there that the road towards end of Hassan bypass (Shown in Parag's post on right pane of the image attached in his post) is closed for road work now, so I took the Gorur Road as shown here - turn right at the big junction after Hotel Raama and then left at the NH 75 towards Bangalore. So I guess, for now this is a good option for those wanting to go towards Belur or returning from Belur via the Thanneruhalla junction.

The concrete work on the SH 57 main road in front of Hotel Raama is complete, the junction of Gorur road is yet to be asphalted, but after that the Gorur road leading back to NH 75 junction is fine except for a couple of places where it a bit rough but definitely manageable.

Here is a pic of what I just mentioned.
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-belurhassanblr.png

Last edited by NPV : 3rd November 2019 at 06:48.
Old 1st December 2019, 13:00   #319
BHPian

Guys,

Need help: Planning to go Chikmagalur, Karnataka in the 3rd week of Dec.

From Belgaum should i use
Belgaum - Davanagere -Channagiri - Ajjampur - Kapur - Chikmagalur.

Is the road conditions good, car is Civic.

Thanks,

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2019 at 15:50. Reason: typo fixed
Old 1st December 2019, 14:39   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Chikmagalur
Hubli - Davangere is a painful drive thanks to all the deviations because of road construction.

If you want a peaceful and relatively comfortable drive to Chikkamagaluru, I would suggest you take
Hubli - Tadas - Hangal - Soraba - Sagara - Shimoga - Tarikere - Lingadahalli - Chikkamagaluru
- A friend drove from Hubli - Sagara a few months ago and was able to comfortably do the same in 2.5 hrs with a break inbetween.
- Sagara - Shimoga is butter smooth and take about an hour.
- Shimoga - Lingadahalli - Chikkamagaluru is easily doable in 3 to 3.5hrs of driving.

You could also do Hangal - Shikaripura - Shimoga but I am not sure about road conditions between Shikaripura - Shimoga.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:44   #321
BHPian

hi all - wanted expert views on the best route to do Bangalore - Chikmagalur; plan is to start from Whitefield around 6-630 AM with the intent to reaching Chikmagalur by 2-3 PM, which includes a quick visit to Shravanabelagola.

Planning to do this trip during the Christmas break on my Nissan Sunny. I have never driven on this side and hence would appreciate any inputs on road conditions, detours to take to avoid bad roads as well as places to eat on the highway. Thanks much !
Old 19th December 2019, 13:55   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Bangalore - Chikmagalur
Google maps should take you down the right roads. Standard route is Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - CKM. 6 Lane till Hassan post which its good 2L roads. My preferred pit stops are:
1. Swati Delicacy, after Kunigal
2. A2B Udayapura
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 19:51   #323
BHPian

For anyone planning to visit Devaramane of Mudigere from Bangalore, here is the latest road update. I have covered both the routes to reach Devaramane. ie: From Mudigere hand post and from Banakal.
Personally I feel stretch from Banakal to Devaramane is in good condition and is great fun to drive.
Have a look and decide it yourself:

ThilakNex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

CHIKKAMAGALURU HABBA 2020

Chikkamagaluru district administration is holding a three day cultural festival from 28-02-2020 to 01-03-2020.

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img20200219wa0007.jpg

The events planned include a range of cultural extravaganza, local food festival, indigenous games, helicopter and glider rides, film shows etc.

More importantly, a kite flying competition and athletic events in farm sludge (ಕೆಸರು ಗದ್ದೆ) are being organized tomorrow => 23-02-2020.

The former will be held at IDSG Government College and the latter at Nallur.

If you are in Chikkamagaluru during the said times, have a go at these events.

Last edited by dailydriver : 22nd February 2020 at 12:56.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 09:00   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
CHIKKAMAGALURU HABBA 2020
If you are in Chikkamagaluru this weekend, you are in for a proper feast - in every sense of the word.

Water Sports: Nallur Lake
Paragliding: AIT grounds
Helicopter ride - Chikkamagaluru Darshan:IDSG College grounds
Dance Festival: Kuvempu Kalamandira
Cultural Events: District Field
Food Festival: Roads adjoining District Field
Film Festival: Nagalaxmi & Milan theatres
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:38   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Travel advisory in case anyone has planned to visit even from a non tourist perspective.

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img20200707wa0004.jpg
I was there 3 weeks before visiting my folks when cases in Bangalore were under control.

Later Bangalore started to witness a spike and it is when there was a meeting held by the Homestay and hotel owners with Administrative officials and they seem to have taken this decision.

Source: WhatsApp.

But seems like this one is from ToI that I don't subscribe. However, hearing recent developments from my folks here, I will blindly believe this piece of news.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 22:53   #327

Quote:
Travel advisory in case anyone has planned to visit even from a non tourist perspective.
Thanks @paragsachania for this news bit. I was planning a drive this weekend (23rd Aug) to Chikmagalur and Im wondering if this is still the situation. Would you or anyone here have any further information to share.

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2020 at 23:47. Reason: fixed quoted post
Old 22nd August 2020, 08:15   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Thanks @paragsachania for this news bit. I was planning a drive this weekend (23rd Aug) to Chikmagalur and Im wondering if this is still the situation. Would you or anyone here have any further information to share.
Situation is back normal. In fact, I drove 3 weeks before with parents and everything was slowly limping back to normalcy though the tourist crowd wasn't in typical numbers as before.

Hence, nothing to worry.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:30   #329
BANNED

Hey Folks
I am heading to Goa via Chikmagaluru - Jog Falls mid-week next. The plan is to have an overnight stay here then another overnight stay around Jog falls before hitting Palolem (or maybe do Jog falls overnight on return trip). So I have some questions about road conditions and scenic spots to stop and go for time-pass.

Primary goal is to experience isolation and serenity in pin-drop silence click some nature shots. I am driving a Gypsy and looking for some mild non-technical off-road adventure in forest trails Here are two options I have in mind and seek your feedback about.

Options:
1) Do a 4h round-trip around the circumference of Bhadra wildlife Sanctuary from Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Tarikere and back to wherever I book the stay. What are the road conditions on the circuit seen in the map attached? How many places are worthwhile for stop and go for picturesque views and phot-shoot and experience of forest bird/water sounds in otherwise blissful silence? If its mostly narrow metal roads with steep drop on the sides I can avoid this option - I am looking for short picnic stops along water bodies or views of forest topped peaks on the way.
2) Head from Chikmagalur straight to Hebbe falls and back. I haven't been there in more than 10 years and would like to know options for safe parking. Amount of time to walk to the falls and back (looks like 8km one-way)? Mine is a soft top Gypsy and while we will take care not leave behind any belongings in the car, I just want a general sense around theft robberies around this place.
3) Bhadra wildlife Safari - The only issue is that I am travelling with my pet dog and I cannot leave him behind as the vacation is also for his experience of outdoors. I hear one can still visit Kallathigiri mountain inside the sanctuary without opting for Safari? Are pets allowed inside here if not opting for the Safari jeep ride but using own vehicle?
4) Heading out from Chikmagalur to Jog the next day, I want to go via Shivamogga - Agumbe ghat - Baindur up to Jog because I cherish my last visit driving the ghats in Agumbe. But that was in a Tempo traveller with a larger group. Do you think this route (second map attached) trumps the direct route up north from Shivamogga to Jog in terms of scenic beauty for stop-click-go enjoyment? Are the roads around Baindur under repair?

We plan to reach Chikamagalur by 12pm and have just that one day for this. Is Hebbe falls and back do-able in 4h assuming 1h at the falls?

Thanks for your inputs on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-chikmagalurroundtrip.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd February 2021 at 14:44.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:57   #330
BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

Hi Guys,

We are heading to Mudigere on this Good Friday weekend. Our plan is to start by 5-5.30. And it is not a pleasant experience driving from Whitefield to reach Mangalore highway on a long weekend. I was looking at alternatives this time to avoid all the mess. One option is Devanahalli - Dabaspet - Gudemaranahalli. But it takes double the distance and time. Other way I was thinking why not drive through the city and reach Sunkadakatte-Tavarekere and take the Gudemaranahalli route. Gmaps says it is about 20kms extra against the regular route.
https://goo.gl/maps/z87YEfMg3uyGVt9YA

I came here to ask about this route and I see these comments.

Quote:
Earlier I had recommended those staying in South Bangalore to take the NICE exit at Magadi and then reach Hassan Highway at Gudemaranahalli (before Kunigal)via Magadi but I drove last Saturday on Bangalore-Magadi road and the condition of this route has deteriorated with occasional rough patches and potholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
We used this road recently in one of the WindowsDownMotoring drives to go toward Chikamaglur. That was in October 2020 and this road was quite nice that time. It was quite scenic too, and we enjoyed the early morning misty views while driving on this. But even that time, I did not think it saved us any time.
What do you guys suggest ? Any other alternatives ?
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks