Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 13:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Ashish for your PM and Anurag for your recommendation.

@avi,
don't worry about booking.
as i earlier posted, as exams are going on, there is no seasonal rush at mahaby.
you can get bargain price for door booking.

make calls to the hotels when you reach near satara and final the hotel when you are in mahaby. park your car near bus stand car parking area[ paid] and hunt for the nearby hotels. i am sure, you will get good prices surely. don't fall in the trap of touts.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:43   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@avi,
don't worry about booking.
as i earlier posted, as exams are going on, there is no seasonal rush at mahaby.
you can get bargain price for door booking.

make calls to the hotels when you reach near satara and final the hotel when you are in mahaby. park your car near bus stand car parking area[ paid] and hunt for the nearby hotels. i am sure, you will get good prices surely. don't fall in the trap of touts.
Do you really think its advisable? I called a couple of them and they said, "sorry its full".

You are forgetting its a long weekend so probably there is some rush for this particular weekend.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think its advisable? I called a couple of them and they said, "sorry its full".
if you are going on week end, then better to book early,
i thought otherwise.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:35   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyderabad-Mahabaleshwar Road Update

I travelled from Hyderabad to Mahabaleshwar on April 2nd, 2010 and return trip on April 4th, 2010. Used the following route for both onward and return journey

Hyderabad-Solapur-Pandharpur-Satara-Medha-Mahabaleshar : 580kms

Hyd-Solapur : Roads have improved as travelled during september towards goa, they were in a bad shape.Now back to doing some scorching speeds on this road.

At the bypass my greedy friends (cops) waved me down. I just ignored and drove on.

On my return timed Solapur in blistering heat ( 2:45pm) and they were not standing then...LOL

While going, thankfully not much truck traffic at Mohol but during return i encountered quite a bit.

Pandharpur to Satara was a fun drive, lot of open land and not much traffic and beautiful stretches even if they were not butter smooth.

Onward : 5:30AM started from home and was in Mahabaleshwar at 3:30pm with 3 stops of total time of 1 hour

Return : 10:30AM started from Mahabaleshwar and was home at 8:00pm with 3 stops of total time of 1 hour

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th April 2010 at 15:37.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:30   #95

I went from Hyderabad to Mahableshwar during the New Years (3 months back) and took a slightly different route. Instead of taking the Satara route, we took the Baramati route (NCP Chairman Sharad Pawar's constituency) ie. Hyderabad-Sholapur-Indapur (then take left diversion towards Baramati)-Baramati-Nira-Lonand (take right diversion)-Khandala-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleswar : 590kms in all.
The roads are okay but the only problem being is they are 'patched' almost throughout from Zaheerabad onwards till Indapur. So a car must be in good 'suspension' condition to take it. Also the internal stretch between Indapur to Khandala is slightly narrow (being a state highway) and has a lot of bullock-cart caravans (I say caravans because they amble along in lines of 25-30 each line and the gap between each bullock-cart is so narrrow that it becomes almost like a goods train). It is tough to cross them without an onward coming car not pushing you off the road (state buses will try to do that and sometimes you are squeezed between them and the bullock-cart caravans). I started very early in the morning from Hyderabad (around 4 am) and encountered them around afternoon. So if you are a slow driver and start around 6 am or later from Hyderabad, then you shouldnt take this route as then you will encounter this stretch in the evening or even later and then its not safe as bullock carts don't have lights and you suddenly run into them as the road is narrow. Once you reach Khandala then you take a left diversion towards Wai and this road is quite good though the ghats start here. From Wai to Panchgani is a short journey of an hour and the roads are quite good. But baring the bullock carts, the traffic is also not much and is a fairly decent road but again - 'patched' which means some tar-cement job to cover the potholes but not decent enough to avoid noticing a slight bump.
Old 10th April 2010, 08:49   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedirfan View Post
I went from Hyderabad to Mahableshwar during the New Years (3 months back) and took a slightly different route. Instead of taking the Satara route, we took the Baramati route (NCP Chairman Sharad Pawar's constituency) ie. Hyderabad-Sholapur-Indapur (then take left diversion towards Baramati)-Baramati-Nira-Lonand (take right diversion)-Khandala-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleswar : 590kms in all.
The roads are okay but the only problem being is they are 'patched' almost throughout from Zaheerabad onwards till Indapur. So a car must be in good 'suspension' condition to take it. Also the internal stretch between Indapur to Khandala is slightly narrow (being a state highway) and has a lot of bullock-cart caravans (I say caravans because they amble along in lines of 25-30 each line and the gap between each bullock-cart is so narrrow that it becomes almost like a goods train). It is tough to cross them without an onward coming car not pushing you off the road (state buses will try to do that and sometimes you are squeezed between them and the bullock-cart caravans). I started very early in the morning from Hyderabad (around 4 am) and encountered them around afternoon. So if you are a slow driver and start around 6 am or later from Hyderabad, then you shouldnt take this route as then you will encounter this stretch in the evening or even later and then its not safe as bullock carts don't have lights and you suddenly run into them as the road is narrow. Once you reach Khandala then you take a left diversion towards Wai and this road is quite good though the ghats start here. From Wai to Panchgani is a short journey of an hour and the roads are quite good. But baring the bullock carts, the traffic is also not much and is a fairly decent road but again - 'patched' which means some tar-cement job to cover the potholes but not decent enough to avoid noticing a slight bump.
During my previous trip to Mahabaleshwar in May'09. I used exactly the same route that you mentioned and didnt encounter any of those bullock carts.

Infact, Ashish Pallod ( TBHPian who lives in Baramati) mentioned about this problem. Hence, took the Satara route.

But, the Baramat-Nira-Lond-Wai-Mahby route is damn scenic

Here is my mahabaleshwar travelogue where i mentioned i took above route :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-country.html
Old 10th April 2010, 09:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the bypass my greedy friends (cops) waved me down. I just ignored and drove on.
lol the Solapur cops are back in action!!! I didnt encounter them in the last couple of drives and I thought I had seen the last of them..but looks not,from your update:(
Old 10th April 2010, 09:32   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
lol the Solapur cops are back in action!!! I didnt encounter them in the last couple of drives and I thought I had seen the last of them..but looks not,from your update:(
Yes, they are back in action. I guess they will be there from 9am to 11am-12pm and then back from 4:30pm till late evening. Thats what i deduced from my many trips passing the by-pass.

Thats why i timed my return on that bypass so that i dont bump into them...LOL

Infact, another TBHpian from hyderabad was travelling to pune the same day i started from hyderabad and he was crossing solapur bypass around 4pm, they were not there and i had warned him about my morning escapade with them.

In other season, they would be there by that time.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:48   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedirfan View Post
Indapur to Khandala is slightly narrow (being a state highway) and has a lot of bullock-cart caravans (I say caravans because they amble along in lines of 25-30 each line and the gap between each bullock-cart is so narrrow that it becomes almost like a goods train). But baring the bullock carts, the traffic is also not much and is a fairly decent road but again - 'patched' which means some tar-cement job to cover the potholes but not decent enough to avoid noticing a slight bump.
Quote:
Ashish Pallod ( TBHPian who lives in Baramati) mentioned about this problem. Hence, took the Satara route.
As Baramati is sugarland, there are lot of co-op sugar mills.
Those sugar mills operate in the time frame of october to march/april depending upon the availability of sugarcane.
You can expect lot of sugarcane traffic during that time which is really pain for outsiders but good for everyone in the area.[ sugarcane and milk is the bread and butter of life in this area].

Indapur-baramati-nira-lonanad is wide road.
Indapur to baramati is somewhat patched road and after baramati, its smooth upto lonanad.

lonand - khandala[ pargaon] road is internal district road which is very narrow.

baramati-nira-lonand-khandala-wai-panchagani-mahaby is 125 km which is my regular picnic route.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:21   #100
BHPian

Re: Update Needed : Sholapur- Pandarpur-Satara-Panchagani-Mahabaleshwar

Hi All
I will be leaving for kaas, mahabaleshwar from Hyderabad this week. Planning to leave 4AM on Wednesday. Planning the Solapur-Pandharpur-Satara Road. Will be driving an Innova (Rented for self drive). How good is this road? Has anybody done this recently? As Mobike said the road was good and decent speed could be maintained, just wanted to be sure that the monsoons haven't made the road bad.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:32   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
Hi All
I will be leaving for kaas, mahabaleshwar from Hyderabad this week. Planning to leave 4AM on Wednesday. Planning the Solapur-Pandharpur-Satara Road. Will be driving an Innova (Rented for self drive). How good is this road? Has anybody done this recently? As Mobike said the road was good and decent speed could be maintained, just wanted to be sure that the monsoons haven't made the road bad.
This road will be in generally in good condition as I have driven in monsoons several times until Pandharpur and diverted towards Goa.

Pandarpur to Satara is one long lonely stretch. Not too broad road but, decent road condition.

I started from home at 5:30AM and reached hotel in Mahabaleshwar at 3:30pm for 580kms with 2 stops of 1 hour and 30 mins for lunch and tea-break in morning.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:12   #102
BHPian

Quote:
This road will be in generally in good condition as I have driven in monsoons several times until Pandharpur and diverted towards Goa.

Pandarpur to Satara is one long lonely stretch. Not too broad road but, decent road condition.

I started from home at 5:30AM and reached hotel in Mahabaleshwar at 3:30pm for 580kms with 2 stops of 1 hour and 30 mins for lunch and tea-break in morning.
Returned yesterday evening. While going took the Pandharpur road, and the baramati road while coming back.

Road conditions (Pandharpur Route): about 50 kms before satara is broken tarmac with average speed 50-60, but otherwise ok. Speed of 100+ can be achieved on the mohol - pandharpur stretch and 40 kms beyond.

Started at 2:30AM from kondapur, but an idiot petrol pump guy filled in diesel in our petrol swift. His reason being no petrol available and these days their are so many diesle swifts available :O Fortunately a mechanic was available, and took two hours to empty it completely. Had to go on mechanic moped to get petrol

Finally left at 4:30 AM. Reached Satara 2:30PM with half hour break and 4-5 15 mins breaks. Last two hours drove in auto pilot mode because of the sleeplessness

Road Conditions (Baramati) : Road from NH4 to Londha completely broken. Average speed of 30-40. From Londha to Bramati and Indhapur, is good road with ocassional bad patches. Left Mahabaleshwar at 6:45AM. Reached Baramati around 11 (half hour breakfast) and Indhapur at 12. Got the shock of my life when I saw "Hyderabad 400KMS" board Fortunately there was a white skoda Laura (JK 02 number with a familiar "Tune Up" sticker which i saw at the hyderabad drag race), who also seemed to be in a hurry. Managed to reach Gachibowli at 6PM. (Thanks to the ORR from patancheru to gachibowli)) Road from Solapur to Hyderabad was good except the bad 70-80 km Karnataka stretch near Homnabad. Payed no regards to the bad road there and was driving above 100 only.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
(Thanks to the ORR from patancheru to gachibowli)) Road from Solapur to Hyderabad was good except the bad 70-80 km Karnataka stretch near Homnabad. Payed no regards to the bad road there and was driving above 100 only.
Hi Vivek----is that stretch near Homnabad 70-80 kms in length or are you referring to speed? I might go to Mahabs this Dusshera.
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I might go to Mahabs this Dusshera.
Keep watch on weather in this part of country.
Heavy rains during last few days.
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hi Vivek----is that stretch near Homnabad 70-80 kms in length or are you referring to speed? I might go to Mahabs this Dusshera.
Was referring to the length of the road. Did this stretch again two weeks back while returning from Pune. Night Speeds would be around 60-70 kmph. Left Solapur around 10:30PM and reached hyderabad at 3AM. Day speeds can go up as you can spot the potholes early.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks