Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2024, 17:22   #4201

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,

Been reading about how the route to Goa via Anuskura and Oni Is the preferred one.
Question is since this route has a far amount of more inclines, bends , slopes and narrow roads than Chorla and Anmod any idea how well can the Ignis AMT handle it? Lone woman driver here.. hence the Qs.
Thanks in advance
Old 13th April 2024, 18:07   #4202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen22 View Post
Been reading about how the route to Goa via Anuskura and Oni Is the preferred one.
Question is since this route has a far amount of more inclines, bends , slopes and narrow roads than Chorla and Anmod any idea how well can the Ignis AMT handle it? Lone woman driver here.. hence the Qs.
I don't think Anuskura ghat is any more difficult or challenging than say Chorla ghat. In fact, I found this route to be quite good and simple enough. I won't call it a challenging one at all. I have not driven Ignis AMT, so I can not comment on that. But since you are comparing to Chorla, I would say that if you can drive Ignis AMT in Chorla, you can surely drive that in Anuskura ghat. It is a routine hill road with nothing extra challenging over say Chorla ghat or any other road to Goa.

You can see pictures of this road in my earlier post (Post #4172) in this thread.

Of course, one must take all usual precautions for any hill drive, or any drive in general, and one must follow all safe practices and driving discipline.

Wish you all the best for this drive!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 13th April 2024 at 18:12.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 18:36   #4203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how well can the Ignis AMT handle it? Lone woman driver here
The car will manage it just fine. The ghat doesn't have a very steep gradient, has quite less traffic, and has freshly laid tarmac, so you'll enjoy it.

Do note that that you won't find any type of support (food, garage) for large patches on this route. From the point you turn off NH48 to Kankavli on NH66, you'll find about 2-3 villages spread over an hour's driving distance or so where you can find very basic food options.

Safety won't be a concern (at least during day time - although haven't heard of any issues at night), but do plan to be by yourself.

If you're new to the area and like to explore - do consider Amba ghat. At the Malkapur T-junction, Anuskura is left and Amba is right. Both join NH66 at around the same place. Amba has significantly more traffic (which may be good and bad) and has more food options / populace.

Enjoy your drive!

EDIT:

For food:

- Do consider Rau's Misal, Karad for a meal (breakfast and lunch/dinner options are fantastic here): https://g.co/kgs/uD8KTtL
- We typically have lunch at Mintleaf in Kankavli: https://g.co/kgs/mYLuhBr
- If not Rau, there's a new McDonald's just at the turn off NH48

If you have an interest in history, do visit Pawankhind - the site of the famous battle: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Fdfecwy3TgPGvuWq6

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th April 2024 at 18:47.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 00:31   #4204
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Hi Rocket Queen,

I suggest that you stick to Anuskura Ghat and avoid Amba Ghat as the last time a friend of mine used it he said it was in bad shape.

There is a "Rane Dining Hall" with decent food and clean washrooms near Malkapur. Please search on Google maps.

Please make sure you exit this SH road and join NH66 at ONI and NOT anywhere else. Do NOT be tempted to take any shortcuts.

This is the route to take : Karad / McDonalds / NH48 / Narayanwadi (Turn Right) / Undale / Ranjanwadi / Malkapur / Anuskura / Pachal / Rajpatan / Saundal / Oni / NH66

Search for the Cherilyn Monta Resort on the right just before you get to Oni at a village called Vatul. It is a decent place but has a very small sign board which you may miss. Food is also available here.

Once you are on NH66 please resist the temptation to speed or else you will get a speeding ticket. Please also note that you may encounter several unmarked speed breakers.

Please note that from NH48 to NH66 it is better to download the offline map as the mobile signal is very sketchy.

Rgds,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 08:23   #4205
BHPian

Drove from Mumbai to South Goa on Wednesday. We were transiting through goa on our drive to Kerala.

Started late from Kandivali East at 11am. It took us 3 hrs just to reach Pune expressway! Had booked Fern Residency at Karad for the night. Stopped for lunch @ Sri Dutta just before Pune exit. It took us little under 3 hrs to reach Karad. While there are diversions post Satara but the roads have well laid tarmac.

Started from Karad at 7am and reached Porvorim in 4 hrs 15 mins. Drove nonstop and had brunch at Navtara. Never expected MH to have such good internal roads. I think I goofed up and followed google maps taking left from Talvade. The roads were narrow, albeit well laid in patches. I could have continued straight and joined NH66 at Oni.

Once on NH66 it was smooth sailing. Porvorim-Palolem took us 1 hr 20 mins. Retired for the day at Green Leaf resort.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_2199.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 17:30   #4206

I travelled from Pune to Goa (Panjim) on the 06 Apr 24 and back on 12 Apr 24. Many thanks to all the folks here who recommended taking the route through the Anuskura ghat. It proved to be a great decision and made for an amazing driving experience.

Some thoughts about the route that might help others planning to take the route :
  • Please look up the old posts that point out where to turn off NH48 towards Anuskura Ghat. An easy was is to add the 'Saj Furniture World' at Karad as an interim stop. Cross the shop and the McDonalds after that and take the right from under the tunnel. Check the videos in #4196 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)
  • The McDonald's at Karad opens only by 1030h. We had missed checking the hours for the place and had planned to have breakfast there.
  • About 8 kms after descending Anuskura ghat there is a small newly opened place called Hotel Shree Kalambadevi Prasanna that has some local produce and clean toilets. A peculiar thing about the toilets - the gents toilet has only a urinal. Photo placed below.
  • After joining NH66 watchout for small speedbreakers. While they are often preceded by rumbler strips, its too short a notice to slow down. I ended hitting a couple too fast for comfort.
  • On NH66 there are a couple of places where they have placed rumblers on where the road curves. If you pass over them at a high speed, they tend to cause the wheels to slip a bit. While it didn't feel too dangerous, one is best advised to slow down.
  • On the return leg, while I had added the Kolhapur - Pachal fata as an interim point, Google Maps recommends taking a diversion just after Pachal. Google suggests exiting NH66 at Pachal on the left. It is recommended to just follow NH66 till the fata and taking a right under the bridge as suggested in the video in post #4196

Some photos we clicked when we stopped at the highest point at Anuskura Ghat and a pic of the pit stop after Anuskura Ghat -
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20240412_084525.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20240406_110122.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20240406_110230.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20240406_110355.jpg  

madgoks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:05   #4207
BHPian

I'm planning to visit north Goa in May. All the recent posts suggest Pune - Satara - Karad - Malkapur - Anusukura - Oni - Goa route.
I wonder what happened to the old route we used to follow (Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Nipani - Amboli - Savantwadi - Goa)?
Old 17th April 2024, 11:52   #4208
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Vasco, near Dabolim airport, from Pune, with a halt at Kolhapur in a Vento. So unfortunately, the Anuskura ghat route won't make sense for me. Based on the current road conditions, what would be the ideal route via Kolhapur: Gargoti/Nipani-Amboli ghat-Goa highway, or Belgaum-Chorla/Anmod ghat?

I'd been via Anmod ghat 4 years ago and though the ghat by itself was mostly concrete, the 10-15 km jungle patch before Anmod was a nightmare, with terrible roads and huge craters. Luckily I was in my EcoSport which has great ground clearance. So the car was safe. But this time, will be in a fully loaded Vento, so can't afford to travel over deep potholes.
Old 22nd April 2024, 19:52   #4209
BHPian

Just back from a ride to Vengurla from Pune via Anuskara Ghat. Route taken was Pune - Karad - Malkapur - Anuskara - Oni - Vengurla.
That last stretch after Anuskara Ghat til Oni has been completed with fresh tarmac making this entire route a pleasure to travel.
There is a chap with excellent sol kadi, chaas stall at the Anuskara view point.
AKSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 15:35   #4210
BHPian

Thanks to the feedback and updates on the route to Goa from Bombay.

We have an annual sojourn every year in May to GOA and after many years last year we flew down.

This year back to the drive. Whereas the traditional stop used to be at Kolhapur, the new route means the pitstops have changed.

Have booked Fern at Karad , South and North bound and will follow the route as suggested.

Would like to highlight that Google maps also shows this route as default.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 15:37   #4211
BHPian

I drove down to Goa during the end of March.

Mumbai - Goa took the following route:

MTHL - Chirner - Karnala Bus Stop (join NH66 here till Sangameshwar) - from Samgameshwar till Watul head east (state highway but good roads) and rejoin NH 66 at Watul (before Oni). Continue down to Goa via NH66.

From Bandra to Siolim, drive time (minus stops) was 8hrs 15 mins. Left at 6 AM. Post MTHL for 120-140 km, went through some villages with narrower roads, speedbreakers, then roads with one side construction. Started to regret my decision, but it then suddenly gets so much better after a while. Parts of the completed NH66 are really good and low on traffic.

Goa - Mumbai took the following route:

Followed google's advice. NH66 till Kerepatan - Ansukara Ghat - Narayanwadi (connect to NH48) - then Satara - Pune - Mumbai

From Siolim to Bandra, drive time (minus stops) was 9hrs 45 mins. Again left at 6 AM. Ansukara ghat is nice, but route is longer and NH48 can be a pain with traffic. The extra time doesn't seem worth it.

I am going again in May. This time I will connect to NH66 via JNPT and stick to the route I took last time.

Last edited by Fiero : 29th April 2024 at 15:41.
Fiero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 15:02   #4212
BHPian

Hi Guys
Going a little offtrack here as couldn't find active thread for my case. We are planning to leave for our maiden long trip from Mumbai to Gokarna with overnight stay at Ratnagiri tomorrow and wanted to know the best route for the same. In earlier posts lot of forum members have recommended taking Mumbai-Pune-Karad-Malkapur- Anushkura Ghat-Oni-Goa and then from there to Gokarna. However, G maps is recommending taking NH66 from Mumbai while route from Pune is taking more time and is longer also.

Any help on the same will be very helpful.

Regards
Eragon92
Old 30th April 2024, 18:16   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragon92 View Post
Hi Guys
Going a little offtrack here as couldn't find active thread for my case. We are planning to leave for our maiden long trip from Mumbai to Gokarna with overnight stay at Ratnagiri tomorrow and wanted to know the best route for the same. In earlier posts lot of forum members have recommended taking Mumbai-Pune-Karad-Malkapur- Anushkura Ghat-Oni-Goa and then from there to Gokarna. However, G maps is recommending taking NH66 from Mumbai while route from Pune is taking more time and is longer also.

Any help on the same will be very helpful.

Regards
Eragon92
Pune - Anuskara ghat is much longer (by 100km) and will always take longer. I think you should connect to NH66 at Kasar Bhat, Dolvi, or ahead of Nagothane (recommended) and continue on. Even if road construction is not completed fully it will still be significantly faster overall. The road between Mahad and Sangameshwar (where you turn off for Ratnagiri) is mostly good as far as I remember with maybe small hiccup around Chiplun.

I went to Goa via this route 1 month ago. For your onward journey to Gokarna please see my last post. NH66 is superb at some places especially in the latter half towards Goa.

Enjoy your drive!

Last edited by Fiero : 30th April 2024 at 18:20.
Fiero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 14:35   #4214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
Pune - Anuskara ghat is much longer (by 100km) and will always take longer. I think you should connect to NH66 at Kasar Bhat, Dolvi, or ahead of Nagothane (recommended) and continue on. Even if road construction is not completed fully it will still be significantly faster overall. The road between Mahad and Sangameshwar (where you turn off for Ratnagiri) is mostly good as far as I remember with maybe small hiccup around Chiplun.

I went to Goa via this route 1 month ago. For your onward journey to Gokarna please see my last post. NH66 is superb at some places especially in the latter half towards Goa.

Enjoy your drive!
Is it possible to pls share the Google link of the route you used from Goa to Mumbai?
I did Anuskura the day before yesterday on my way to Goa and while the whole Anuskura route is a gem to drive on.. the rest of the road right upto karad was a mess... Multiple jams ... Upon entering Goa via NH66 again.. Goa roads had multiple diversions...
Old 5th May 2024, 08:20   #4215
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to pls share the Google link of the route you used from Goa to Mumbai?
I did Anuskura the day before yesterday on my way to Goa and while the whole Anuskura route is a gem to drive on.. the rest of the road right upto karad was a mess... Multiple jams ... Upon entering Goa via NH66 again.. Goa roads had multiple diversions...
The route I took back from Goa to Mumbai was as follows:

NH66 upto Kharepaten, then turn east onto SH 114 (you can also go up to Oni and then turn onto Pachal road) upto Pachal; pass Anushkara ghat and proceed up to Narayanwadi; then NH48 to Mumbai. This usually shows up by default on google maps. Here is the link:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VPRJP6nXQrMfVRvLA

However, the following route (which I took from Mumbai to Goa) is likely to take lesser time based on my experience:

NH66 till Watul; east onto MH 175 till Sangameshwar; rejoin NH66 at Sangameshwar; then NH66 till a little before Nagothane (you can follow NH66 further if you want - see my previous post though); turn east towards Pali; then Khopoli-Pali road then Mumbai Satara highway. While this route has some diversions/construction, you should be able to maintain fairly good average from Goa to Mahad, and then things slow down. Here is the link:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tqgeSYzZ2GmmdvcS9

Let me know what route you finally take and the present road condition. Will help all.

Cheers!

Last edited by Fiero : 5th May 2024 at 08:26.
Fiero is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks