Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2023, 17:41   #4111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
5 AM start form Pune makes it a 7 hr 40 min drive time till Mopa whereas a 10 AM return from Mapusa till home took 8 Hr 25 min drive time (thanks to crazy traffic between Satara - Pune in evening).
Thanks for this update. Couple of questions:

1. I plan to start at 5 AM from Pune when I travel to South Goa next week, so hopefully will cross Karad around 7.30 AM-ish. Would there be a lot of traffic due to the flyover construction at that time too?

2. Apart from Hotel Rane (before Malkapur) and Hotel Saraswati (near Rajapur) mentioned a few posts ago, any other suggestions to take snack/meal breaks on this route?

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th November 2023 at 17:42.
Old 19th November 2023, 18:14   #4112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
1. I plan to start at 5 AM from Pune when I travel to South Goa next week, so hopefully will cross Karad around 7.30 AM-ish. Would there be a lot of traffic due to the flyover construction at that time too?
Based on day of travel I believe. I traveled on a Friday and traffic was OK in the morning. I believe, weekend may have slightly higher traffic, but manageable.
I stay near NIBM which helped me reaching Khed -Shivapur toll gate in 30 min by taking the Katraj ghat road.

Quote:
2. Apart from Hotel Rane (before Malkapur) and Hotel Saraswati (near Rajapur) mentioned a few posts ago, any other suggestions to take snack/meal breaks on this route?
If you are traveling early morning, you wont find anything in that road, not even tea. Once you reach NH66, there will be lot of options though.
I would suggest, carry sandwich or similar that can be eaten cold and tea in flask and make a small picnic on the beautiful ghats and forested area. We did that and loved it (ordered subway previous night and kept in fridge and carried them like that).

Last edited by PetrolRider : 19th November 2023 at 18:16.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 20:14   #4113
BHPian

Quote:

We returned today and I crossed Karad around 6am and there was still traffic. However, you needn’t worry, it will slow you down but keeps moving.

Quote:
I had zeroed in on the resort below after a quick google search in case we needed food / bathroom facilities. Did not use it, but is well located right midway between Malkapur and Oni.
Anuskura Resort and Rastaurant
082618 18394
https://maps.app.goo.gl/azwrWV2mfSyhJUxKA?g_st=ic
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 08:39   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Based on day of travel I believe. I traveled on a Friday and traffic was OK in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
We returned today and I crossed Karad around 6am and there was still traffic. However, you needn’t worry, it will slow you down but keeps moving.
Thank you PetrolRider & PGNarain for your replies and suggestions. 1 more question - Apart from the flyover work in Karad, are there any diversions before Umbraj too, while going from Pune to Goa? At least GMaps is showing one today.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-nh48.jpg
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 09:44   #4115
BANNED

Quote:
1 more question - Apart from the flyover work in Karad, are there any diversions before Umbraj too, while going from Pune to Goa? At least GMaps is showing one today.

Attachment 2533318
I don't think so. There were quiet a lot diversion on main highway though. In fact, you would find a lot of diversions between Satara and karad.

Don't worry, if you are leaving early, it wont hamper your time too much. As I mentioned, it took me less than 8 hours of drive excluding break and I never crossed 80 in entire stretch (not even on NH66 / NH48). Plus, I had to be little extra careful in ghat sections as my wife gets motion sickness.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 09:52   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are travelling to South Goa shouldn't you be taking the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod Route which will take you closer to South Goa instead of traversing entire Goa from North to South?

If you start at 5 am from Pune, you should be reaching Karad ideally at 6.30 am during when the traffic is very low.
Old 20th November 2023, 10:08   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you are travelling to South Goa shouldn't you be taking the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod Route which will take you closer to South Goa instead of traversing entire Goa from North to South?
I have used the Anmod route many times, so just wanted to try something different this time. Also, traveling to South Goa via North Goa isn't that much of a hassle now, with all the bypasses/connecting bridges being fully functional. I took the Amboli - North Goa - South Goa route in Jan '23 and the difference in time taken compared to the Anmod/Chorla routes was negligible.

Quote:
If you start at 5 am from Pune, you should be reaching Karad ideally at 6.30 am during when the traffic is very low.
I am a very sedate driver, and have never taken less than 2h 15m to reach Karad. So, always prefer to be pessimistic in my guess-timations

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th November 2023 at 10:12.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 10:28   #4118
BHPian

Need suggestion on the best route from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar and then to Siolim, Goa.

Travelling on the 26th Nov (Monday) from Chembur to Mahabaleshwar. I suppose the best route here is to take the Pune expressway - Wai - Mahabaleshwar? Or is the old highway doable till Mahabaleshwar? Old highway also gives an opportunity to visit few Ganpati Mandirs (Pen & Mahad) enroute as we have no particular plan but just to chill in Mahabaleshwar and then in Goa.

From Mahabaleshwar to Siolim, Goa please suggest the best route.

Ok to drive early morning or late nights but need to avoid traffic as much as possible.
Old 20th November 2023, 21:54   #4119
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the flyover work in Karad, are there any diversions before Umbraj too, while going from Pune to Goa? At least GMaps is showing one today.
I came across no such diversions and no idea why Gmaps is showing this detour. It could be a major jam on the main highway leading GMaps to plot an alternate route.

I Drove back from Goa yesterday through South Goa - Anmod - Belgavi - Pune - Mumbai and just encountered regular diversions from the main highway onto adjoining service roads.

Quote:
Also, traveling to South Goa via North Goa isn't that much of a hassle now, with all the bypasses/connecting bridges being fully functional.
+1 to the above. In its current state the Anuskura Ghat route till Oni is the best, safest, easiest and least headache inducing way of getting to Kudal, Goa by far and all the way from North to South Goa, upto Morbor.

Last edited by PGNarain : 20th November 2023 at 22:07.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 08:44   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Drove back from Goa yesterday through South Goa - Anmod - Belgavi - Pune - Mumbai and just encountered regular diversions from the main highway onto adjoining service roads.
Did you take the Khanapur Belagavi route through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary by any chance? How is the road condition. In April when I travelled that stretch the road was just laid with stones and no tarring in place. Had a tough time travelling, post Khanapur roads are good all the way till Pune barring the road works between Hattargi and Karad.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd November 2023 at 11:37. Reason: A small typo
Old 21st November 2023, 09:31   #4121

Suggestions Please. I've done the Anuskura Ghat route when travelling to Goa from Pune. I will now be returning back to Pune on my bike this week. Which other routes would you suggest ?

I will start from South Goa. I have always done the Amboli -> Ajara -> Nipani route but want to try out something different this time.

Mainly deciding between these:

- Dodamarg -> Tilari -> Nipani -> Kolhapur -> Pune
- South Goa -> Anmod -> Khanapur -> Belgavi -> Pune (map suggests)
- NH66 -> Anuskura -> Karad -> Pune (due to good roads)
- Anything else with a single day break in between eg. via Ratnagiri
Old 21st November 2023, 23:41   #4122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you take the Khanapur Belagavi route through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary by any chance? How is the road condition. In April when I has travelled the stretch the road was just laid with stones and no tarring in place. Had a tough time travelling, post Khanapur roads are good all the way till Pune barring the road works between Hattargi and Karad.
Yes, I came back via the Bhimgadh WLS route. Can breakdown the road conditions in parts as follows:
1. The road from the Anmod Ghat Booze Checkpoint to the turn-off into the WLS (about 50mtr) is broken and katcha road.
2. From here till Rangarook Village is good (abt 4kms)
3. From here till the Bhimgadh Nature Camp Entrance is bad with the road either broken and / or levelled but still katcha with loose gravel and dirt.
4. From here the road is narrow but largely in acceptable condition though with steep broken roads shoulders on either side till the railway crossing (about 14kms)
5. From here the road is mostly bad and very uneven till you join the main Khanapur - Belgavi Highway (abt 2.7kms). On this section, after about a kms, you will come across a fork in the road, and you would need to take the right fork, which looks really bad (and is bad) but is the shortest and quickest route connecting you to the main highway. Gmaps also shows this route and there is a rickety board at the fork pointing towards this path reading - Belgavi.

Overall and having traversed this route several times over the past year, it has gotten better actually, but is still far-far from being a good road.

Below is a pic of my odometer that I reset while crossing the Anmod Booze Checkpoint till I reached the main highway. As you can see the total route through the Bhimgadh WLS is about 20-22kms and took me close to an hour to traverse, driving nice and easy!
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-f167eda6ec9e48d9b605a1a7c8cdf2b0.jpeg

Last edited by PGNarain : 21st November 2023 at 23:47.
PGNarain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 23:53   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1922 View Post
Which other routes would you suggest ?
Do you intend to have a one day stay or is continuous? Also, do you prefer ghat roads or highways like NH66/NH48?
Old 22nd November 2023, 06:27   #4124
BHPian

Hi guys, a bunch of us are doing an 8 day Pune to Pune bike road trip and on the Vengurla Tarkarli Malwan stretch were recommended Maachli resorts. It seems nice but super pricey. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2023, 07:22   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On this section, after about a kms, you will come across a fork in the road, and you would need to take the right fork, which looks really bad (and is bad) but is the shortest and quickest route connecting you to the main highway. Gmaps also shows this route and there is a rickety board at the fork pointing towards this path reading - Belgavi.
Oh I remember that fork for sure coz I missed the board and moved ahead, then had to reverse back to the fork junction and take that right. All along the road till the main highway I was cursing the MH govt for the pathetic road.

Its been 10 months now and still the bad road conditions still remains and I don't see the roads being repaired in the coming years either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks