Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 23:25   #3886
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Nice trip and have done a similar trip in 2021 November and do share pics!

I have done the coastal road quite a few years back, taking the ferry on the way back to Mumbai from Goa first at Jaigadh, then from Dabhol, And then from Vesavi and back to Mumbai. You can find details here - https://carferry.in/ - or online in google maps as well. No prior booking necessary!

At the time the M2M ferry wasn’t operational, so drove back from Harihareshwar. Have since done Mumbai to Mandwa and back several times on M2M. Booking and details are easily available online - just search for “M2M ferry”. There is a thread here also discussing the ferry service

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post4877989 (Mumbai-Mandwa (Alibaug) Ro-Ro ferry service to start in Feb 2020)

Coming to your question on time, these ferry services are good and convenient if you are travelling between the two points or within the coastal range. For your route coming from Goa along the highway, this won’t save you much time coming from Goa Highway, as you will lose time diverting from the highway to the coastal road, traffic moves slower, bad roads maybe encountered, then waiting for ferry, boarding and de-boarding etc takes time but as an experience it is unbeatable and I would say to go for it if you have time to spare!
Thanks a ton! Although I am having a last minute plan change and now reading up road conditions between Goa and Hampi.
Old 15th March 2023, 06:59   #3887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Given the recent karnataka-maharashtra political issues, any chances of being held up by traffic wardens for papers etc. for outside state cars. Has anyone faced any such situation.
I recently did Pune-Bengaluru-Pune to visit the Aero Show, absolutely no issues with Traffic Police. if you have all the papers, you needn't worry.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:42   #3888
BHPian

Will be driving to Malvan from Pune for the first time with extended family in a Innova (revv).

Need advice on best routes, google maps show 2 options as below. Kindly provide your suggestions about the road conditions, with 4 kids in the car, it will be bit of nudging about long drive ...
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-route-query.jpg  

Old 16th March 2023, 11:13   #3889
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine just drove from Goa to Bombay.

The route he used was Mapuca - Tivim - Assonora - Dodamarg - Tillari - Chandgad - Gadhinglaj - Sankeshwar - Joined NH4 at Sankeshwar.

He reports that the route is in very good condition with some sections newly tarred.

There was very little traffic on this road.

The Tillari Ghat is quite steep with sharp bends.

Overall, he was very happy that I suggested this route to him and reckons he saved at least 25 to 30 mins compared to Amboli - Ajra - Nipani.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 19:11   #3890
BHPian

Another scenic route with good smooth roads is via Amba Ghat and then via Kharepatan on to NH 66 (Old Bombay - Goa highway). The four-laning concrete road on NH66 is mostly complete all the way to Sawantwadi.

Name:  Screenshot 20230316 190727 amba.png
Views: 955
Size:  270.3 KB
AKSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 06:57   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSO View Post
Another scenic route with good smooth roads is via Amba Ghat and then via Kharepatan on to NH 66 (Old Bombay - Goa highway). The four-laning concrete road on NH66 is mostly complete all the way to Sawantwadi.

Attachment 2429555
Thank you! How is the link road #175 that joins at Watul - NH66?

28 km extra compared to Oni - Kharepatan via Anuskura Ghat road, however, seems better with time though.
Old 17th March 2023, 11:22   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Thank you! How is the link road #175 that joins at Watul - NH66?

28 km extra compared to Oni - Kharepatan via Anuskura Ghat road, however, seems better with time though.
# 175 is the forest part between the turn off after Amba ghat and joining NH66 at Lanja. The road is decent, a little narrow but nothing too troublesome. The distance is not much at 40 km between Amba ghat and Lanja.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:05   #3893
BHPian

Has anyone recently traveled on -

a. Anuskura Ghat
b. Gaganbawda - Karul Ghat
c. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat

What is the road condition?

For Phondaghat road Google is showing option of diverting near Haldi and go around Radhanagari lake via Pungaon, Savardhan, to join the usual road near Dajipur khind. How is this road? Has anyone tried it?

TIA
Old 21st March 2023, 10:10   #3894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Has anyone recently traveled on -

a. Anuskura Ghat
Travelled through it a few weeks back, there are a few bad patches but nothing unmanageable. There is only one 200m patch which is through a muddy diversion (where a bridge construction is in progress).

I heard Amba has been relaid, so that's the better option now.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 08:27   #3895
BHPian

Travelled through Anuskura 3wks ago, condition is good. The shortest route is Anuskura, pachal, raipatan, kharepatan. Small road after Pachal but manageable.
DieselDelight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:04   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
We 3 friends made our annual pilgrimage to Goa and returned last night.

We travelled through Kolhapur - Kaveri Hotel - Ajara - Amboli Ghat - Arpora in #Dark Harrier.

Hi Ritz, I see in posts above, Ajara to Amboli road being very bad. Did you take Uttur->Amboli road? was the road okay till Amboli?
Old 28th March 2023, 16:06   #3897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Hi Ritz, I see in posts above, Ajara to Amboli road being very bad. Did you take Uttur->Amboli road? was the road okay till Amboli?
In month of February we did Pune-Goa-Pune via Nipani->Amboli. Followed google maps after taking right at Nipani and it took us through narrow roads that bypassed Ajara and landed us before Amboli. While returning we went till Ajara and then Uttur. Around Ajara the roads are dusty, however its manageable, our i20 managed with full load.

Be aware that although google maps suggests some routes, once you reach at some junctions take an informed decision. At many places the local villagers have put up their own signs pointing towards Goa. Maybe they are tired of people stopping and asking for directions.

After Amboli towards Sawantwadi there is again a bypass that will take you directly towards Goa near Mopa. There is a police check-post, immediate left after that.

Caution: Once in Goa follow speed limits, especially on bridges. Police are out with speed guns to catch people driving at 40kmph on a 30kmph speed limit bridge. Happened with me. Evidently the radar gun that captures image did not get a clear picture of our rented 2-wheeler, hence, to make his day the officer on duty fined me for overtaking on a bridge. All this while they let go foreigners without license with just a warning.
IAmGroot is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 18:48   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Will be travelling from Benaulim, Goa to Pune, whats the best and fastest route - Through Amboli ghat or through Anmod Ghat?

Just read in the above posts that there is an alternate route for the Amboli ghat through Gandinglaj reaching Sankeshwar apart from the route through Utur reaching Khanapur to touch NH48. There is hardly any difference in the kms or the timings. So which is the best in terms of road condition, fastness, lesser ghat sections etc.
Old 2nd April 2023, 23:01   #3899
BHPian

I am leaving for Varca, South Goa from Kolhapur via Ajra - Amboli - Panaji - Varca.

Recently I saw news that there are many traffic snarls due to construction activity in Panaji. Is it that bad or can we go via Panaji. Google maps show Atal Setu closure hence wanted to know.

Usually I go via Belgaum - Chorla ghat but this time around it was showing 40 mins more than Ajra so planned to take Ajra route.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 2nd April 2023 at 23:11.
Old 3rd April 2023, 09:28   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Recently I saw news that there are many traffic snarls due to construction activity in Panaji. Is it that bad or can we go via Panaji. Google maps show Atal Setu closure hence wanted to know.
I travelled from Benaulim, Goa to Pune yday and the Amboli ghat route didnt show as an option due to road closure of Atal Setu in Panaji. However in the evening the route started showing on gmaps. Better to check and travel.

I touched NH48 at Belagavi and from the there the travel wasnt anything great to write since there was a lot of construction work going on with many diversions from Belagavi till Kagal. From Kagal the 2 wheeler traffic was most nuisance till Satara after which got some empty roads till Khed Shivpur and then the Pune 2 wheeler traffic started. What was once a great drive has turned out to be bad these days with the 3rd lane being constructed.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks