Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 13:23   #2146
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi everyone.

Just en route back to Mumbai from Margaon.

Took Amboli ghat via the Banda shortcut which was all good. Slight bad patches for a few 100 metres at a time around Amboli but nothing insurmountable.

Returned via Mollem with a shortcut through Bhimgad sanctuary which is always scenic and totally empty. This route deposits you on the highway at Belgaum within 3.5 hours (from Margaon).

Hope this helps a fellow traveller.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:30   #2147
BHPian

Just back from Goa, all good with few bad patched in Ajara. Nothing to worry about.

Encountered very heavy rainfall in Lonavala and Khandala both times. The clouds were so low, was almost driving blind.

Here is the video I shot from my dashcam

So please be careful those who travelling this month.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 11:52   #2148
BHPian

The Bhuinj(between Mahableshwar phata and Satara) flyover was open for traffic yesterday. It used to be a mess, specially during long weekends.
P.S.: I don't kow if this was mentioned earlier.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:00   #2149
BHPian

Tomorrow I plan to drive to Goa via Amboli as I have some work in Sawantwadi. I heard there is landslide in Amboli ghat. Any update?

On return I have some work at Kanakvli. To come up which route has better roads? Phondaghat-Radhanagari or Tarale-Gaganbawda?

Please update if anyone has traveled recently on these routes.
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:36   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Tomorrow I plan to drive to Goa via Amboli as I have some work in Sawantwadi. I heard there is landslide in Amboli ghat. Any update?

On return I have some work at Kanakvli. To come up which route has better roads? Phondaghat-Radhanagari or Tarale-Gaganbawda?

Please update if anyone has traveled recently on these routes.
It's fake news, at least that's what people close to the police have told me. Pictures circulating around are old pictures.
There is no landslide.

PS: there are currently no news reports acknowledging or denying the rumor.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 23rd August 2017 at 13:39.
rambo1o1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:39   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
It's fake news, at least that's what people close to the police have told me. Pictures circulating around are old pictures.
There is no landslide.

There has been a landslide, but at a different location :
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/auran...w/60172870.cms
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 11:54   #2152

Can anyone post an update on NH17. I'd like to take this route with family to enjoy the beauty of the hills in the rains. I leave tomorrow. Although I must have driven 50 + times on this route, I have opted to take the Pune route in the past decade. I can also break the journey if too tedious. Prompt advise would be appreciated.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:26   #2153
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the NH17 is all pain and little pleasure. If you really want the latter along with pain you need to take state highways linking the seaside towns, further to the west of NH17. But there is enough beauty of the hills to be seen getting down from NH4 to the Konkan via every ghat that does this.

A via media is to leave NH4 for NH17 as late as Kolhapur and stay on it, with slower progress to, presumably, Goa.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:41   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
I'd like to take this route with family to enjoy the beauty of the hills in the rains. I leave tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A via media is to leave NH4 for NH17 as late as Kolhapur and stay on it, with slower progress to, presumably, Goa.
I concur with Sawyer; drive till Kolhapur, then climb down via either Phonda Ghat or Gaganbawda, and then proceed to Goa via NH17. If that seems too far, then another option is to use either Kumbharli or Amba ghats to touch NH17. Any of these options will give you the best of both worlds

I went on a small day trip last week, and the ghats are a carpet of green right now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4253628

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th August 2017 at 12:43.
Old 1st September 2017, 12:28   #2155
BHPian

Hello!

Anybody recently through Chorla Ghat? I am leaving for Goa tomorrow and wanted to have update if anyone has been through Chorla recently.

Thanks and drive safely
Rajesh
Old 1st September 2017, 13:59   #2156
Senior - BHPian

What is the condition of the road from Ganapati Pule to Goa via Ratnagiri? Is it scenic? Also any updates on the Kolhapur - Ganapati Pule route?

thanks in advance.
Old 1st September 2017, 14:36   #2157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
What is the condition of the road from Ganapati Pule to Goa via Ratnagiri?
Since you are asking about Goa to Ganapatipule, it will be a combination of the erstwhile NH17 till Hathkhambha and then NH166 till Ratnagiri.

The route conditions usually remain a combination of Excellent - Good to bad but only in small patches.

These videos from last year should give you hints.

Quote:
Is it scenic?
Definitely Yes. The video what you see about is some hint to drive .

Quote:
Also any updates on the Kolhapur - Ganapati Pule route?
For this the preferred option will be via Ratnagiri - Hathkhambha - Amba Ghats - Panhala - Kolhapur. Amba ghats as on today could be a mixed bag. Please check for the latest conditions on this thread itself. I also recollect Hemant.Anand driving here few weeks before.

Here you go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ai-sagara.html

For Ratnagiri - Ganapatipule:

The shortest but more preferred due to the scenes around will be obviously through MSH4. It will take you really closer to the sea coast albeit road conditions that may not be the best in every section but no one ever complains as the beauty around supplements this.

A glimpse of Arrey Warrey road that connects Ratnagiri to Ganapatpule through MSH4:

There is another alternate route which is a regular road but I would insist that you take MSH4 only because it offers some lovely scenes that you should miss if you are driving here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 14:55   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Since you are asking about Goa to Ganapatipule, it will be a combination of the erstwhile NH17 till Hathkhambha and then NH166 till Ratnagiri.

The route conditions usually remain a combination of Excellent - Good to bad but only in small patches.

I would insist that you take MSH4 only because it offers some lovely scenes that you should miss if you are driving here.
Thanks a lot Parag. I would definitely follow your recommendation.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:44   #2159
BHPian

Just did Pune-Amboli-Goa-Chorla-Pune (between 25th Aug and 28thAug). The Chorla route was far better with almost no potholes, and more scenic. Amboli ghat stretch has many potholes now, and while is not too bad, it stretches for a long duration.
Old 4th September 2017, 23:48   #2160
BHPian

Hello
We shall be driving to Goa from Allahabad in the last week of September in our Skoda Rapid.

I would like to know the suggested route from Mumbai for Goa. We wanted to take NH17 as it is supposedly one of the most scenic roads around.
Would be a great help if the regular travelers to Goa apprise us of the current road conditions and the route that needs to be taken.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks