Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 10:07   #1981
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Has anyone traveled on Kolhapur-Gagan Bawda route recently? What is condition of this road post Monsoon?
I believe that area received very heavy rains this year.

I am traveling tomorrow to Kudal hence need to make choice between Amboli, Ponda and Karul ghat.
Old 7th October 2016, 10:35   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Amboli remains the safest bet. Bypass Sawantwadi by taking the right turn over the bridge a few kilometres before getting there, and then the right turn onto Nh17 takes you to Kudal.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 11:18   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Amboli remains the safest bet. Bypass Sawantwadi by taking the right turn over the bridge a few kilometres before getting there, and then the right turn onto Nh17 takes you to Kudal.
Is this bypass useful for folks travelling to Goa too? Or would it be better to go via Sawantwadi town?

I'm starting for Goa (Calangute) on Sunday, and still in 2 minds whether to take Amboli or Chorla.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 7th October 2016, 11:54   #1984
Senior - BHPian

No, this bypass joins NH17 on the northern side, so it doesn't make sense for southbound traffic to Goa. Amboli route does not have a viable Sawantwadi bypass for Goa. In your case, I suggest Amboli, keeping Chorla in your pocket as an alternative if the roads are bad on the drive out.

Last edited by Sawyer : 7th October 2016 at 11:56.
Old 7th October 2016, 12:08   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Has anyone traveled on Kolhapur-Gagan Bawda route recently? What is condition of this road post Monsoon?
I believe that area received very heavy rains this year.

I am traveling tomorrow to Kudal hence need to make choice between Amboli, Ponda and Karul ghat.
Last I had been on those routes was last new year, did both GaganBawda and Sawantwadi-Amboli routes onward/return. Both were equally good and bad to say one better than other. The rains would have caused similar situation on either I guess.

If you have to go upto Kudal or even upto Goa, your better bet from speedy travel perspective maybe, Pune-Kolhapur-GaganBawda-Vaibhavwadi-NH17 (smooth 4 laned NH66 now)-Kudal
Old 7th October 2016, 12:55   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps Gaganbawda to Kudal is better; but certainly this is not the case for Goa. Because all other things being equal, that leaves you longer on the slower nh17 when compared to nh4.
Old 7th October 2016, 17:23   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
The road between Ajra and Amboli had worsened in the last two weeks.
A lot more potholes and several deep ones as well which could not be avoided.
I also found the road from NH4 - Nipani and Uttur to Ajra to be quite "lumpy" - though maybe that's the effect after having driven on the super smooth NH4 for the previous couple of hours.
SS
This observation made me think about Whether to stick to Amboli or to choose Phonda or Gagan Bawda.

I think tomorrow I will stick to Amboli. If I find it bad on return I will take chance with Gagan Bawda.

Had it been Goa, no second thoughts for Chorla. As on date that is the best and fastest way to get into Goa.

I hope soon the will start NH17 (NH66) widening the way they have done in Zarap-Patradevi section!
Old 7th October 2016, 18:03   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
This observation made me think about Whether to stick to Amboli or to choose Phonda or Gagan Bawda.

Had it been Goa, no second thoughts for Chorla. As on date that is the best and fastest way to get into Goa.
I think by Phonda ghat you are referring to the route through Radhanagari sanctuary?

That would be my pick out of the options, my observation has been that it has far lesser traffic resulting in a far more pleasant drive.

Cheers!
SD
Old 7th October 2016, 20:57   #1989
BHPian

Quote:

I think tomorrow I will stick to Amboli. If I find it bad on return I will take chance with Gagan Bawda.
Can you please provide an update after you take the Amboli route tomorrow? I am in a dilemma over this route as well. Thanks in advance!

I am confused between Mollem, Chorla and Amboli routes when I drive next week to Delhi from Goa. On the way in I took the coastal route from Ganpatiphule and then NH17 in to Goa.
Old 8th October 2016, 15:07   #1990
BHPian

All those heading to Goa from Mumbai/Pune, better stick to the routes from Belgaum for good roads.

For North Goa --> Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Sanquelim-Bicholim-Assnora-North Goa

For South Goa --> Belgaum -- Khanapur -- Ramnagar -- Anmod ghat -- Mollem -- Ponda bypass -- Madgaon/ South Goa

For Panjim,Donapaula,Miramar,Old Goa take the Chorla route.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 12:51   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
All those heading to Goa from Mumbai/Pune, better stick to the routes from Belgaum for good roads.

For North Goa --> Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Sanquelim-Bicholim-Assnora-North Goa

For South Goa --> Belgaum -- Khanapur -- Ramnagar -- Anmod ghat -- Mollem -- Ponda bypass -- Madgaon/ South Goa

For Panjim,Donapaula,Miramar,Old Goa take the Chorla route.
Thanks vivek95. I took the Chorla - Sanquelim - Assonora - Calangute route while going and Old Goa - Mollem - Anmod - Belgaum route on my way back to Pune. Both are in great shape, barring the odd rough patches and diversions on the Anmod route.

After Anmod check post, I turned left to go via the shorter route through Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary (extremely scenic). This road joins Anmod to Khanapur directly and saves almost 20 kms over the Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur route. It is a single lane narrow road, but in decent shape and open only from 6 AM - 6 PM.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th October 2016 at 13:01.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 19:24   #1992
BHPian

Quick update on the Pune - Goa route (08th /11th October) went via Belgaum - Chorla route both ways, road is absolutely amazing. Its butter smooth to be precise. Pune - Satara diversions are a nuisance but the surface is ok.
Old 16th October 2016, 05:58   #1993
BHPian

What's with these people hanging out outside toll booths asking someone for a drop in lieu of free toll? I warned two if them of complaining.

In other news, anmod ghat road in KA section is already breaking apart though it was tarred just few months back.
Old 16th October 2016, 09:29   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
What's with these people hanging out outside toll booths asking someone for a drop in lieu of free toll? I warned two if them of complaining.
Usually the toll booth staff leaving at odd hours. If they miss their drop vehicle/shuttle or find it inconvenient, they usually hitch a ride. I have obliged them a few times, but within city and on my daily drive routes.

I suggest you should refuse if not comfortable, but please appreciate the location and timing of their work practically forces them to beg for a ride. And they never ever stop a family in a car, always a single or two males.
Old 16th October 2016, 09:58   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Usually the toll booth staff leaving at odd hours. If they miss their drop vehicle/shuttle or find it inconvenient, they usually hitch a ride. I have obliged them a few times, but within city and on my daily drive routes.

I suggest you should refuse if not comfortable, but please appreciate the location and timing of their work practically forces them to beg for a ride. And they never ever stop a family in a car, always a single or two males.
Oh I do drop off people whenever I find them reasonable but this was during broad day light, one at 9am and second at 10.3am. Both happened around Karad area and the persons didn't appear like staff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks