Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 18:07   #1681
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
It is very dangerous around the corners because of rashly driven vehicles. This still scares me a bit since I am traveling with kids. The only thing which is giving me second thoughts about the Chorla route.
That is also the case on NH4 stretch, isn't it? Chorala is comparatively safe ghat than even Amboli ascent or descent. The roads are wide enough to cruise at 50 Kmph. As long as you don't get lost in scenery and forget that you are driving or a moron driving onto you forgets that he is driving, there is no such thing as scary. I have driven umpteen number of times through Chorala ghat as well as Amboli. And I always prefer Chorala over Amboli unless the "Bhajji" cravings from Ajara-Amboli takes over. They are tastier than one you find in Chorala Ghat breaks

Last edited by abirnale : 9th October 2015 at 18:25.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 18:15   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Thanks for detailed feedback and comparison between the Nipani-Amboli route and the Chorla Ghat route.

2 negatives I always read about the Chorla route:

1) For North Goa it takes an hour to an hour and a half extra. Your post puts this to rest.
2) It is very dangerous around the corners because of rashly driven vehicles. The only thing which is giving me second thoughts about the Chorla route.

I am planning to do Pune-Kolhapur-Chorla-Goa at the end of October for a 5-day trip with wifey and my 5 and 1 year olds, (wish I could do an 8 day trip, envy! ). The plan so far is to leave at 4 a.m. from Pune, if we do make that departure time, I am hoping to be in North Goa by 3-4pm at max.
Thanks Harry, I am glad it was helpful. The intent was to put a comparo hence I took the Amboli route to understand the pros-cons.

Point 2 is a valid concern for all single carriageway ghats.

I would suggest take it easy- remember it takes 2 to tango. The road is excellent and breathtaking, enjoy the views and the drive and not just rush through as most people do, you have the Belgaum - Kolhapur stretch for that.
I drove very sedately on the ghats (driving with a 11month old and a 3.5yr old) and still Kolhapur - Goa was 4.5 hrs for me with a 45min break thrown in.
Kolhapur - Pune driven at 90-100kmph brought us home in another 4.5 hrs with a 1hr break at Satara.

4am is a good time to leave, you escape all the chaotic traffic right upto Karad, you can plan a longish break at Mc D for the benefit of the kids and I feel you would still be able to reach Goa by 1-2pm.

Have an awesome trip! I wish I could go for another 80 days!

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 12th October 2015, 12:14   #1683
BHPian

Just did a one day trip to Sawantwadi and back. Started at 5.45am from Pune and reached Sawantwadi at 12.45 with a single halt at Sai International. Took the Amboli route but went via Sankeshwar, Gandhinglaj and Ajra. Road between Sankeshwar and Ajra in a much better shape as compared to the Nippani Otur route. Had taken that route a two years back and it was horrible then so did not want to take any chance. Amboli ghat was fine except for a 5-6 km patch in between. Roads 5 kms either side of Ajra also are not in the greatest of shape. Started from Sawantwadi at 3.15pm for the return journey and reached Pune back at 10.30 with again a single tea halt. Met with heavy rains near Khed Shivapur which slowed progress a little bit.

Last month a had gone to Goa via Chorla route. The roads are smooth and in excellent condition there. Only pain is crossing Belgaum traffic. For South Goa Chorla is a no brainer. Amboli is good enough for travel to North Goa if you can be patient with a few stretches. Both the roads are extremely scenic especially after the monsoons.
Old 13th October 2015, 00:26   #1684
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello all, planning for a trip to Goa (Baga mostly) from Mumbai (Sakinaka - Andheri E to be precise). Have never driven to Goa before, so would like a detailed route suggestion.

We plan to start @ 4 am, so I wouldn't mind a longer route while going (if its worth) and a different shorter route for return. Condition of the road is the highest priority & also would like to know the first good fuel station in Goa (a 1.6L petrol engine makes me ask this ) enroute so we can fill a full tank both while going & coming.

Please do help, tried reading couple of pages, but not able to connect well because am not too familiar with the places.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th October 2015 at 00:31.
Old 13th October 2015, 01:46   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hello all, planning for a trip to Goa (Baga mostly) from Mumbai (Sakinaka - Andheri E to be precise). Have never driven to Goa before, so would like a detailed route suggestion.

We plan to start @ 4 am, so I wouldn't mind a longer route while going (if its worth) and a different shorter route for return. Condition of the road is the highest priority & also would like to know the first good fuel station in Goa (a 1.6L petrol engine makes me ask this ) enroute so we can fill a full tank both while going & coming.

Please do help, tried reading couple of pages, but not able to connect well because am not too familiar with the places.
Did a Mum-Goa drive last year.
Would recommend going via Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Goa. It is slightly longer than the other routes, but except for a little of traffic on the Pune Bypass (which you will not face as you are leaving at 4am, thus should be clear from Pune at 7/8am even if you stop for breakfast), and in Belgaum city.
Return the same route for best roads.

Just a few tips:
1) Use Google Maps, and plug in the route as - Mumbai - Kolhapur, Kolhapur - Belgaum, Belgaum - Baga. Last year a friend using BMW navigation ended up going the other way at the Belgaum fork, which was full of potholes and stones. We ended up waiting over an hour for him to catch up!

2) Try to plan such that you finish the expressway by the crack of dawn. The Pune bypass often sees road work happening, and you will encounter not so perfect detours. Similarly, there is always the odd pothole, so don't tailgate and just be aware - don't want to hit any potholes while driving at triple digit speeds.

3) There is a fuel bunk just before you enter Goa city. Fill up there as finding a good reliable fuel pump in Goa isn't so easy as per our experience. Better to get to Goa and enjoy the place than drive around finding fuel. If your car cannot do 630kms on a single tank, fill up in Pune/Kolhapur.

Planning another trip to Goa again this year - hoping to be able to drive down again!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 09:36   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
would like to know the first good fuel station in Goa (a 1.6L petrol engine makes me ask this ) enroute so we can fill a full tank both while going & coming.
A good place to refuel enroute is the Konduskar BPCL pump on the left just after passing the last Kolhapur right turn on the bypass.

I haven't ever had any issue with fuel in Goa, but a good pump is the HPCL - I think - pump on the road from Porvorim to Calangute, just before coming to Calangute. That one is open 24 hours, but as I said, Goa is one of the hassle free places for fuel.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 10:47   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A good place to refuel enroute is the Konduskar BPCL pump on the left just after passing the last Kolhapur right turn on the bypass.
Did the Konduskar pump start selling petrol?Till some time back it was a Diesel only pump mostly catering to heavy vehicles. Not sure now!
Old 13th October 2015, 11:24   #1688
BHPian

Quote:

1. In case you don't mind an extra hour and a half drive, Kolhapur - Belgaum- Chorla route is the best option without any doubt/debate. I took this route last December. Follow this Google maps route link which I took that time: https://goo.gl/maps/nCdgK
For return, you can take Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajra-Nipani route. Here is the Google maps route link for your return: https://goo.gl/maps/wvuuI

2. Starting at 4am should be more than ideal. When I drove down from Ghatkopar on 2-Oct-2015 (long weekend), I started at 5am and was able to clear Kamothe toll within 30 minutes. Pune Expressway was past by 7am. I didn't get much traffic while clearing the Pune through the bypass. Here you can read my post regarding this trip. I took Kolhapur - Nipani - Amboli - Sawantwadi route.

3. Start with a tankful from Mumbai and refill at this BPCL COCO after you cross Kolhapur. During my recent drive to Goa, I refilled at this bunk (just enough to reach my destination) and never faced any issue. However, keep in mind that Petrol in Goa is cheaper by Rs 10/Ltr and Goa bunks are generally safe. I got my tankful at the HPCL bunk in Nerul, Goa - No issues at all. There are some bunks in Panjim and north Goa as well.
1lokesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 23:42   #1689
BHPian

Are there any good hotels in Sawantwadi for a quick lunch break? The hotel should have a good veg menu as well.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:57   #1690
BHPian

Planning to travel to my native place - Mithbav via Kolhapur.

Need to know the road conditions on Gaganbavda and Radhanagari route.
Read that the Gaganbavda road is pothole ridden, Is Radhanagari route any better ?
Old 15th October 2015, 13:39   #1691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Are there any good hotels in Sawantwadi for a quick lunch break? The hotel should have a good veg menu as well.
Honestly - we didn't come across anything decent. Best bet is to grab a bite at Kolahpur McDonalds/KFC which is just off the highway.

Alternately, if you go via belgaum - chorla route, you might get some places at Belgaum.
Old 16th October 2015, 09:19   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
The best place for lunch in Sawantwadi is Mahalaxmi Bojnalay (Raju Bhalekar). It is famous for its non veg preparations but also has a good veg thali. It is opposite the Gymkhana and on the road to Amboli.
Old 16th October 2015, 09:48   #1693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Need to know the road conditions on Gaganbavda and Radhanagari route.
Read that the Gaganbavda road is pothole ridden, Is Radhanagari route any better ?
Take the Radhanagari route. As per what I have read on the forum, the Gaganbawda route is quite desolate.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:42   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
The best place for lunch in Sawantwadi is Mahalaxmi Bojnalay (Raju Bhalekar). It is famous for its non veg preparations but also has a good veg thali. It is opposite the Gymkhana and on the road to Amboli.
I agree with Nikhil, non veg preparations are delicious at Mahalaxmi Bhojanalay. It is also known as Bhalekar Mess.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:10   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Heading to Candolim in Mid November. Which route would be the best?
Via Amboli or Via Chorla.

I have not been able to map it out on Google maps.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 16th October 2015 at 18:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks