Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 21:09   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Coimbatore - Best route options

hello all,

planning my next long drive. need to be in coimbatore by Feb 6, 2009 for a wedding on the 8'th.

the road trip is 90% confirmed. (if its only me and the wifey, and no other relatives)

i have been asking around for advise on best route to take. but i've been getting many conflicting opinions. plus some of the reports are outdated with respect to current road conditions.

so basically, i need your inputs on these specific queries :
1. NH4 or NH17
2. NH4 route. which places will I be hitting ?
3. NH17 route is straightforward upto karnataka border. then i guess there are multiple options. head towards kozhikode, cut to palakkad and head to coimbatore. alternatively after karnataka head towards ooty- mettupalayam and coimbatore. OR go through the bandipur reserve.
4. road conditions on both routes.
5. which sections are two-lane and which sections are expressway ? distance of sections would also be a help.
6. bad sections on both routes.
7. where to put up at night on both routes. I'd like to make it a one night stop over trip.

my original preferences were :
NH17 as route is more scenic, plus wifey has not driven on that route. continuing on NH17, is it possible to cut through ooty so that we get some scenic ghat section as well ?

It'll be just me and my wife. both of us drive and we are used to long distance drives. just recently did a mumbai-chandigarh-mumbai trip. so the long distance driving part is not an issue.

looking forward to your inputs.

thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:10   #2
BHPian

based on these very helpful inputs by steeroid :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-kerala-5.html

can i choose NH 212 (kozhikode-sultan battery-gudalur-ooty-mettupalayam-coimbatore

as opposed to NH 213 (kozhikode-mallapuram-palakkad-coimbatore)

steeroid's above post is august-september of 2007, which is about the same time i had last driven on the cbe-palakkad stretch.

are there any inputs to suggest that i do not choose NH 212 over NH 213 ? because NH 212 does seem to offer the more scenic route.

of course the above is only valid if I choose to go the NH 17 way from mumbai.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you go on the NH4 and return on NH17.

NH4 route (shortest) would be as follows:

Bombay-Pune-Satara-Karad-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Haveri-Ranebennur-Harihar-leave Nh4
Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Krishnarajpet (K R Pet)-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajnagar-Dimbam-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore

Ideally, you can take an overnight break at Shimoga (Hotel Jewel Rock). Or if you have some more time, proceed from Tarikere to Chickmagalur and take a break there, and maybe half-one day off.

NH4 is good all the way to Haveri, after whoich thanks to road-widening work, there are some interruptions, although the road is good. You have to turn off Nh4 at Harihar, and the road to Shimoga will be moderately good. Some bad sections are reported in the Shimoga-Tarikere section. Some bad sections are also reported in the Chamarajnagar-TN border section. Mysore city can be bypassed easily.

The return can be on Nh17, but please bear in mind that the NH17 is bad all through Karnataka.

The route is as follows (assuming you want to come via Ooty):

Coimbatore-Mettupalayam-Conoor-Ooty-Gudalur-Cerambadi-Meppadi-Kalpetta-Mananthavadi-Kuthuparamba-Kannur (NH17 from here on)-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapura-Bhatkal-Honavar-Kumta-Karwar-Goa-Bombay

The route from Gudalur to Kuthuparamba is very scenic. Assuming you have no stop over at Ooty, you should ideally have your night stopover at Kannur. On Day 2, you could stop over at Udupi, Kollur (off Kundapura-Baindur), Murudeshwara, Gokarna, etc - lots of stay options en route. And return via Goa or come up the ghats on NH63 (from Ankola) to Hubli and return on NH4.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:21   #4
BHPian

hv kumar,

you really are DA MAN !!! walking atlas by god !!!

great inputs. will go over the route on google maps or live maps and get back to you with any further queries if at all.

Thanks a ton once again.

ciao,
hell_rider
Old 25th January 2009, 14:07   #5
BHPian

hv kumar saab,

the route you have suggested takes me through nipani - belgaum - hubli.

as mentioned in the following thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...er-issues.html

these border issues worry me. is there an alternative route you can suggest if this is going to be a problem ?
Old 25th January 2009, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

No choice, you have to go through KA in any case.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:24   #7
BHPian

hv kumar

one more query sir,

apart from the mumbai-pune expressway stretch, which other parts of the route are expressway type stretches. what type of highways can i expect pune onwards ?

thanks again.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

From Pune to Haveri, the road is excellent all through MH, and the Kolhapur-Belgaum stretch can be classified as one of the best roads in the region. If you go off NH4 and go via Shimoga, you will travelling on conventional 2-lane roads.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:10   #9

Dear Hell Rider

Did you do the trip?

Please give update on road conditions for the following section

Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Krishnarajpet (K R Pet)-Srirangapatna-Mysore

Please also indicate timings if possible.

Thanks in advance

Swiftgeorge
Old 21st October 2009, 10:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I found this is a old Thread, But I can not stop writing my Trip to Kalpetta which was already covered a little.

While coming back to Coimbatore from kalpetta, I took Cherambadi route, and I recommend everyone to try this atleast once if you enter Coimbatore from North Kerala.

Kalpetta -Meppadi- Cerambadi- Guddalur - Ooty - Coimbatore is the route,and the road with Kerala as neatly laid, and the hill driving was amazing.
Old 26th December 2009, 13:06   #11
BHPian

I would rather suggest the following:

Reach till Peenya (NH-4) take nice road and completely bye-pass Bangalore.

Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mettur-Andhiyur-Gobi-Sathyamangalam-Karamadai-Gandhipuram (Covai).

The ideal choice in any given time. Expect less traffic from Thoppur till Sathyamangalam.

Let me know your views...
Old 26th December 2009, 13:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post

Kalpetta -Meppadi- Cerambadi- Guddalur - Ooty - Coimbatore is the route,and the road with Kerala as neatly laid, and the hill driving was amazing.
One of the most scenic drives in the region. For those looking for coordinates:

Kalpetta -Vythiri 15 kms-Meppadi 10- Cherambadi 25- Pandalur 13-Devala 6-Nadugani 5-Guddalur 11.

From Nadugani, you can turn right and go to Nilambur (and from there Palakkad, Trissur or NH17). From GUdalur, you can proceed to Sultan's Battery, Ooty or Mysore.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:54   #13
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Coimbatore - best route options

Road is very good except for very few diversions between Harihar and Chitradurga, but still one could cruise at 70-80kmph speed in this stretch. Bumpers are few and manageable.
I took the right turn to NH 207 via Dobbasapete, Doddaballapur, Yelahanka, Hebbal, Mahadevapura, ITPL Main Road towards EPIP Zone. Stayed for the night at Whitefield, Bangalore.

Left Bangalore at 815am. Took the Varthur- Sarjapura Road and reached Attibele at 902am.- NH 7 was a breeze in the four lane road all the way upto Salem. All along used the Byepass at Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Omalur and before reaching Salem took the Byepass to switch from NH 7 to NH 47 and proceeded towards Coimbatore. I did not take the turn to Mettur at Thoppur.

I took a halt at Arasur, Paladam near Coimbatore for a fuel halt (Reliance Diesel is sold here) and behind it there is Annapurna Group's run veg restaurant, where we took lunch at 1.00pm. Left at 2.00pm to be at destination at 2.45pm. Took the byepass run by L&T, which is a toll road towards Kerala to enter Coimbatore near Trichy Road.

The route taken was NH 4 - between Mumbai and Bangalore; Between Bangalore to Coimbatore it is NH 7 up to Salem; and NH 47 - From salem to Coimbatore. The stretch between Bangalore and Coimbatore via NH7 and NH47 taking the Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Salem byepass is excellent.

I made the return Journey from Coimbatore to Mumbai via Mysore and Bangalore. I took the route of NH 207 via Annur, SatyamangaLam, Chamrajnagar up to Nanjangud and thereafter it was NH 212 to Mysore. The road between Chamrajnagar and Nanjangud was okay and motorable and we could maintain an average speed of 60kmph in this stretch. The scenic beauty of Satyamangalam forests and ghat roads are a treat.

From Mysore to Bangalore- SH 33 - Required to slow down when approaching towns and bumpers. Otherwise, easily cruised between 80 to 90 kms and journey time was three hours for 140 kms. Stayed at Shanti Nagar, Bangalore overnight.

From Shanti nagar, Bangalore to Nelmangala, prefered to take the NICE road early morning going westerly directing for 20 kms before heading north towards NH 4.

All along the route, I filled diesel only from Reliance Petro Outlets. They are as follows:
1. Village Itkare - 350kms from Mumbai- 31kms ahead of Kolhapur;
2. Agadi Village Hubli - 607 km from Mumbai;
3. Neelmangala - 931 km from Mumbai;
4. Arasur, Palladam Coimbatore - 1361km from Mumbai;

On my return came via Mysore. Reliance outlets are:
5. Lakshmi Petroleum (Reliance Outlet) Srivasapura Mandya.
6. Arishna Kunte Village, Nelamangula Taluk.
7. Pethnaka NH4, Tal. Walwa, Sangli- 47Kms from Kolhapur towards Mumbai.

Journey Time
1. Mumbai to Kolhapur- took 7 hrs time including 30 minute break for fuel / refreshments.- 400 kms.
2. Kolhapur to Bangalore takes 10 hrs including 1hr 30 minute breaks for fuel/ lunch/ refreshments.- 600 kms.
3. Bangalore to Coimbatore – takes 6.30 hrs including 45 minute breaks for fuel / refreshments.

It means one can cover the distance of 1400 kms in 24hrs with breaks of 3hrs during the driving time. An early morning start helps to beat traffic in places like Mumbai / Bangalore / Coimbatore and the above timings can be reduced further.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 12th July 2011 at 17:21.
Old 14th July 2011, 20:47   #14
BHPian

1. Fully agree with Innowagon.
2. My regular route therefore my timings slightly on lesser side, Kolhapur is doable in 5'30 and then another blistering run (100Km, in about 60-65 mins) will get you half way to Belgaum in 6'30"
3. Night halt can then be at Bangalore (13-14 hours, ex- Mumbai). Time your departure from Davangere to avoid Bangalore traffic. If required- work backwards to time your departure from Mumbai. Stay at Tumkur, or beat the city chaos and halt at Hosur or even Salem- depending on your ability to do the Belgaum-Bengaluru stretch in the same time as Mumbai-Belgaum.
4. NICE Ring Road around B'luru is best. After that please stick to NH7 and NH47.
5. All other roads are the jungles (meaning <40kmph averages) and/or sanctuaries--- all that can be explored on your way back, to make the turn to Mumbai more 'enjoyable' including Coimbatore-Conoor-Ooty-The Loops-Mysore-Hassan-Shimoga-Harihar and back on NH4. It shoud be about 150+km shorter, and trust me you will question the wisdom of saving the 150.
:-)

Drive safe. Have a good time on the road.

KD
Old 6th January 2012, 20:48   #15
BHPian

Made my second trip to Coimbatore and returned to Mumbai.

Left Goregaon on 28th Dec'11 at 6.23am. Took a 8minute break after Khalapur toll gate at the Food Court to stop BP Talegoan for diesel fuel and breakfast at Kailash Parbat Outlet. The next halt was at Sai Veg before Kolhapur for lunch to stop for Diesel refill at BP Wadegoan, Kolhapur. The next halt for refuel was at BP Sira to reach Bangalore at 1130pm in the late evening.

Toll charges are Airoli-Rs. 30/-, Khalapur- 165/- Khedshivapur&Anewadi-110/-, Taswade-Kini-115/-, Kognoli-25/-, Hattargi-15/-, Bagewadi-65/-, Bankapur- 40/-, Hubli-Dhawad-37/-, Guilalu-45/-, Karjivanhalli-45/-Tumkur-29/- Neelmangala-15/-.

Stayed at Shantinagar overnight to leave at 6.41am via Hosur Road-BETL towards Athibele. Stopped at Kamat Upchar Hosur for breakfast eventhough there are also other food options within 15kms further with Macdonalds and Anand Adyar Bhavan at BP Hosur. Filled Diesel at BP Hosur. After 158 kms from here, a recently opened 'Shree Sravana Bhavan' is a good halt with its cleanliness (toilets and hotel is very clean and coffee is okay).

Since lots of diversions are made 55kms from Coimbatore, we need to slow down till Avinashi and we took the L&T byepass as the destination was on Trichy road Coimbatore. Fuel halt was HP COCO at Odderpalayam in this byepass. Reached destination at 1.01pm with a halt of 58 mins for breakfast and refuelling.

During the return journey, encountered fog after Avinashi upto Thoppur ghats as we left at 6.05am on 2nd Jan'12. The first halt was at BP Thoppur for breakfast at Anand Adyar Bhavan and diesel refuel here. After a 48min break we reached Bangalore at 12.15pm and we had to slow down between Hosur and Athibelle due to truck traffic. At the BETL we found cops welcoming vehicles who drove above the speed limit of 80kmph.

The toll paid for this stretch was BETL-35/-, Atibelle-20/-, Krishnagiri-50/-, Thoppur-73/-,Omalur-58/-, Salem-46/-, Kumarapalayam-41/- and Neelambur-11/-.

The next day, left shantinagar at 5.58am, to take the Mysore road to join the NICE Road after paying toll of Rs. 58/-. After driving 67kms halt was at HP Fuel outlet at Neelmangala and Kamat Upchar outlet for breakfast. After driving for 4hrs took a halt at Hotel Garuda for colddrinks and biobreak. The next stop was for diesel refuel at BP Kottur and thereafter a drive of 35mins the lunch break was at Hotel Sankam Regency, off the highway at Belgaum. After a 45min break, crossed Kolhapur at about 430pm to halt at 7.18pm for 22 minutes at HP Coco ahead of Narayangaon crossing. Took tea at Kamat Upchar and after one hour drive we reached Soul and Curry at Wakad Pune for dinner taking a break of 25minutes. Reached Goregoan after a 2hr 30 minute drive at 1131pm.

The Diesel Fuel cost was 4120.84 from Mumbai to Coimbatore and the toll paid was Rs. 1070/- for the distance of 996km from Goregoan to Shantinagar Bangalore and thereafter 348km to Coimbatore aggregating 1344km.

During the return journey the diesel fuel cost was Rs. 4216.35 and the toll paid was Rs. 894/- as I had taken the NICE road on the way back. The distance from Coimbatore to Goregoan was 1368kms.

Driving time from Mumbai to Coimbatore was 20hrs 30 mins excluding the night break. During the journey the total break time for fuel and food etc. was 4hrs.

The return timings were similar.

Most Viewed