Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 13:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Boss, I agree with you 100%.
I just posted this in the other thread "Driving thro MP."
I know what you mean about MP roads. Year before last I had the misfortune of driving from Bangalore to Delhi via NH7 to Hyderabad- Nagpur- Lakhnadon then on NH26 to Narshimpur- Sagar-lalitpur- Jhansi since this is supposed to be the shortest route between the two cities
The stretch from Laknadon to Jhansi was the worst I have ever encountered in all the years I have driven. The stretch of 200kms took me 11.5 hrs in my Tata Safari. Attrocious was not the word. In anyone wishes to ruin their car then thats the road to take.
I dont have good words for the MP Roads. All that I can tell is to AVOID MP ROADS if you can.
HAS ANYONE DRIVEN ON THIS STRETCH RECENTLY?/
Yeah. I second that. Drove through Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior just 10 days back . Horrible roads after Sagar and takes a hell-lot of time to cover any decent distance. Some road-construction activity is going on but seems far from complete. It didn't take 11.5 hrs though. Maybe you would have driven when this road was at its worst. Sagar-Lalitpur had a lot of deviations and therefore is time-consuming. Lalitpur-Jhansi is decent with unevenly patched roads and Jhansi-Gwalior isn't too bad either.
MP roads are second only to Karnataka in their quality
Old 19th January 2009, 13:42   #17
BHPian

Thanks!
But we have a few days in which we need to fit things....and I plan no night driving.
I have travlled along the KA coast earlier and visited Paradise resort near Manipal ....I am planning more of sightseeing based trip to Goa than a booze at the beach trip

Here's what I was thinking for now:
6th: Blore-Goa
7th:Explore Goa
8th: Goa-Bombay
9th:Bombay, leave for Aurangabad by train in the eve
10th: Ajanta Caves
11th: Ellora and Daulatabad (Leave for Bombay in the evening by train)
12th: Tour Bombay
13th:Bombay-Daman-Surat : Spend a few hours at Surat
14th: Surat -Ahmedabad
15th :Ahmedabad
16th:Ahmedabad-Udaipur
17th: Udaipur
18th:Udaipurt-Ajmer-Pushkar-Jaipur
19th: Jaipur
20th:Jaipur-Delhi
21st: Delhi
22nd: Delhi
23rd: Join Work ---> :( ugh!

Catching up with friends at Bombay and Ahmedabad, so the stays.
Dont want to spend time drving to Aurangabad (coz that would mean adding days or driving in the night).

So yeah, its a holiday for some sightseeing,driving and meeting old friends.

And will watch my speed on mind on concrete roads -- Thanks, didnt know that one!

[quote=Drivealot;1134359]Hi Danish , From your message I am of the impression that you are planning a holiday. If thats the case then my suggestion is as under. My reason for suggesting this is that I have driven all these stretches no of times .
Anyway here goes.
Drive from Bangalore to Mangalore and join the NH17 heading to Goa. The drive from Mangalore to Goa is stunning as you will be driving by the beach side then up& down the hill with each corner a photographic delight.
Just off Mangalore towards Goa you could stop at the Beautifull Malpe beach. Paradise Isle Beach Resort, Malpe, Udupi

There are other beautiful Resorts enroute and you can take a break anywhere.
Pls see the weblink for Resorts in Coastal Karnataka Hotels and Beach Resorts in Coastal Karnataka

Pls see the website of this resort at Gokarna Official Website: SwaSwara . Om Beach. A New Yoga destination
ITS V.good

At Karwar Estuary View Resorts

Goa is a place most people have visited in their life time but my idea of FUN is to see a lot of Off–beat destinations. Hence I would like to suggest that you skip the stopover part of Goa. Once you have stopped at any of the beach resorts in Malpe, Karwar or Gokarna you will not feel like stopping at Goa.
Continue driving on NH17 past Panjim thru Savantwadi :::::::::: Lotus Resort :::::::::: and past Kanakavali turn right towards Gaganbavda heading towards Kolhapur and then on to Pune. or take the Ajra- Nipani route
Pls note the above lotus group of hotels have some lovely resorts in Karwar , Goa, Aronda, etc. Pls see above web site.
If you really don’t mind the serpentine like Roads of NH17 then you could continue past Savantwadi on the same Road driving close to Ratnagiri KOHINOOR SAMUDRA & subsequently passing thro Sangameshwar and then Chiplun (Good resorts at Chiplun as well.) Khed ,Poladpur. If you wish to go to Mahbaleshwar (good hill station) then turn right at Poladpur. If not continue on NH17 past Mahad, then kolad.( Kolad has good Eco-camps), till you join the NH4C and then Nh4 to Mumbai. Pls don’t take the supposedly shortcut via Ghodbundar if you plan to do it during the day time. You will get stuck badly in between trucks and waste time. Hence drive right into Mumbai and at SION take a right turn towards the Mumbai airport to head out of Mubai towards Daman then Surat .
If the above interests you then i could put down an itinenary for you for the first 4 -5 days provided that you tell me how many kms you would like to drive in a day. Resorts/ hotels you choose, is based on your budget.
Pls ref the other posts in your link and they provide very good Valuable info about those stretches.
If you need any info about stops for food or any other info pls do write and I shall respond .

PS Pls keep one thing in mind . While driving on the Mumbai -Pune Expressway. DO NOT EXCEED SPEED Beyond 100 km/hr. since heat generated in the tyres on Concrete roads are higher and invariably leads to tyres bursting leading to accidents. Hence Please dont speed on the E-way.
Cheers
Happy & safe Driving
M.Narayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish_c View Post
Hi guys....
I am planning to drive down from Bangalore to New Delhi next month, over a period of 15 days Plan to do some sightseeing along the way.
Here's my tentative route:
Bangalore-->Tumkur->Shimoga-Goa*->Ajra->Nipani->Kolhlapur-> Pune-> Bombay*->Daman->Surat*->Baroda->Ahmedabad*->Udaipur*->Ajmer*-> Jaipur*->Delhi
Places marked with '*' = Night halts + Sightseeing

Does anybody have any updates on the highways I am planning to take. I went through some of the posts here, and then came up with this route. Would appreciate any updates/suggestions! Road conditions?Safety?Highway help?

I will be drving in a 2004 Alto Lxi, plan no night driving.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th January 2009 at 16:35. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed
Old 19th January 2009, 14:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

My speeds on the Gwalior-Sagar-Laknadon sector were as follows:

Gwalior-Jhansi, 120 kms, 2 hrs
Jhansi-Lalitpur, 94 kms, 1.45 hrs
Lalitpur-Sagar, 109 kms, 2.15 hrs
Sagar-Narasingpur, 140 kms, 4 hrs, but had heavy fog also
Narasingpur-Laknadon, 73 kms, 1.45 hrs

Total, 535 kms, 13 hrs, non-stop
Old 19th January 2009, 15:39   #19
BHPian

Bangalore- New Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Yeah. I second that. Drove through Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior just 10 days back . Horrible roads after Sagar and takes a hell-lot of time to cover any decent distance. Some road-construction activity is going on but seems far from complete. It didn't take 11.5 hrs though. Maybe you would have driven when this road was at its worst. Sagar-Lalitpur had a lot of deviations and therefore is time-consuming. Lalitpur-Jhansi is decent with unevenly patched roads and Jhansi-Gwalior isn't too bad either.
MP roads are second only to Karnataka in their quality
TAZ, You are right , When I drove through that God forsaken Roads it was awfull. Our plan then was to start at 5am from Nagpur ( which we did) and get to Gwalior by the evening but managed to reach Jhansi by late evening and in the process lost my booking amount at the Usha Kiran Palace hotel Gwalior. Hence I rate MP bottom most.
Talking of Karnataka and Bangalore in particular (my orginal home town) I completely agree with you . It is known for 2 things among others(1) Only place in India where they use paint brush to tar roads.
hehehehehe

(2)The city where the sleeping Ex PM Deve Gowda hails from.

I studied at the Christ college and my parents still live there so have a soft corner for Bengluru
warm Rgds
Narayan
Old 19th January 2009, 16:28   #20
BHPian

Hi Danish , Your plan is cool . If you need any help in and around Pune feel free to sms me or call. While in Jaipur try take out time and see the Ranthambhore wild life Scantuary. In all probabilities you will Tigers in their natural habitat. While in Udaipur DONT Miss the Crystal Museum
As regards stops for food etc after Goa you could take a break at Savantwadi ( Kamath group), Ratnagiri etc Pls see my post to which you have replied.
Cheers
Happy & safe Driving
M.Narayan
Old 21st January 2009, 12:38   #21
BHPian

On the way from Goa To Bombay via Kolhapur, has anybody tried the routes via Phonda or Kasarda? How are these routes to Kolhapur.

I want to avoid entering MH from KA, if possible ! heheh!
Old 21st January 2009, 14:44   #22
BHPian

Bangalore - New Delhi

Quote:
On the way from Goa To Bombay via Kolhapur, has anybody tried the routes via Phonda or Kasarda? How are these routes to Kolhapur.

I want to avoid entering MH from KA, if possible ! heheh!
Hi Danish C , If you want to avoid getting into Karnataka from Maharastra then see my post to you earlier.
Continue driving on NH17 past Panjim thru Savantwadi :::::::::: Lotus Resort :::::::::: and past Kanakavali turn right towards Gaganbavda heading towards Kolhapur and then on to Pune.
I have driven on this stretch 4months back and roads were fairly good.
The other option is for you to go on Mumbai on NH17 and at Pen turn right to meet the Mumbai-Pune E way to Pune. NH 17 has Good Quality roads but with lots of turns.
The Phonda road will land you in Karnataka, and the last stretch before Karnataka border ghats is really bad.
Rgds
Narayan
02135-308747 Direct Office No
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:18   #23
BHPian

Thanks, How long is the Kakanwali-Gaganbavda-Kohlapur strech? (Time/Distance)

I want to give NH-17 a skip because I have heard it takes longer to reach Bombay by that route...though its 50-70 Kms shorter.....?

And I want to avoid Nipanni etc because of the brewing MH-KA border dispute....
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:25   #24
BHPian

clarification

You're suggesting I use SH-115 instead of SH-116 in MH right?
Also, while heading to Bombay is there a bypass road also at kohlapur while coming via this route and at pune ?
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:10   #25
BHPian

Bangalore - New Delhi

Quote:
Thanks, How long is the Kakanwali-Gaganbavda-Kohlapur strech? (Time/Distance)

I want to give NH-17 a skip because I have heard it takes longer to reach Bombay by that route...though its 50-70 Kms shorter.....?

And I want to avoid Nipanni etc because of the brewing MH-KA border dispute....
Hi, The Kanakvali to Kohlapur stretch is approx 135kms should take 2.5hrs (two and half hours.)
Yes I agree with you , skip NH17, and skip Nipani. Why invite trouble. ?
Rgds
MN
Old 31st January 2009, 10:41   #26
BHPian

HI danish

when you are crossing mumbai. I am also travelling from mumbai to delhi but by train around 5th feb. If you near mumbai somewhere that time and you are comfortable i could join you by road.

Ram
Quote:
You're suggesting I use SH-115 instead of SH-116 in MH right?
Also, while heading to Bombay is there a bypass road also at kohlapur while coming via this route and at pune ?
Old 5th February 2009, 11:17   #27
BHPian

@Rammishra
Sorry buddy, we're all loaded up. And we will be in Bombay on the 9th.
@MN
I am planning to use the Kakanwali-Gaganbavda-Kohlapur route. Any further updates on the border issue ?
Old 26th February 2009, 11:27   #28
BHPian

trip done :)

Hi guys! thanks for all your help....
The trip went as planned and I reached Delhi on the 20th. I did a quite a bit of sightseeing on the way...Here's the blog : Bangalore to New Delhi by Road (Feb 2009)
Need to update a few days of posts, will do them shortly.

Here's the route we took:
Bangalore -Goa
Bangalore
Tumkur
Gubi
Siddapur
Kadur
Badravati
Shimoga
Hunavar
Ankola
Karwar
Margaon
Panaji
Baga

Goa-Bombay
Mapusa
Pernam
Patradevi
Savantvadi
Kudal
Kankauli
Talere
Vaibhavvadi
Kolhapur
Karad
Satara
Pune
Chembur
Mumbai

Bombay-Surat (Not the shortest route, as we took diversions to Daman and Dandi) -- Stick to NH-8 for the shortest route.
Mumbai
Khaniwada
Manor
Vapi
Daman
Pirdi
Chikhli
Dandi
Sachin
Surat

Surat-Ahmedabad (Not the shortest route, we took diversion to Bharuch and Champaner) ---Stick to NH-8 for the shortest route
Sachin
Olpad
Kim
Ankleshwar
Narmada River/ Bridge
Baruch
Pavagarh
Halol
Champaner
Ahmedabad
Gandhinagar

Ahmedabad-Udaipur
Ahmedabad

Himatnagar
Khuwada
Udaipur

Udaipur-Ajmer-Pushkar-Jaipur

Jaipur-Delhi
Jaipur
Chandwazi
Kotputli
Behror
Gurgaon
Delhi

I have updated the route on the google map on the blog.

Total distance clocked: 3370.6 Kms (Kormangala,Bangalore-Sector-56, Gurgaon)
Car: 2004 Alto Lxi

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2009, 16:25   #29
BHPian

Thats one hell of a trip. How much did you spend on fuel?
Old 11th March 2009, 17:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hai Danish,

Congrats on finishing a long trip and thanks for sharing the details. Your account is very detailed and interesting.

--Ramky
======
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks