Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 13:58   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Tried the 4th Mile-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Bavali-Hand Post-Mysore route this morning. There is road working going on between 4th Mile & Mananthavady. But after Mananthavady town roads were good till the KL border at Bavali.

At the KA Forest check post, noticed that the Forest officials are noting down the number of vehicles and pax number. Now that is normal, but what I noticed is that there is a separate receipt for non-KA vehicles . When I gave my vehicle number (KA-xx), the official immediately gave me another ticket which just said Forest Check Post Bavali, DB Kuppe Wildlife Range. I remember reading in a travel forum that for non-KA vehicles some kind of fee is collected and the other receipt issued.

The road inside the Nagarahole forest is pathetic to say the least. It is more like few tarred blocks between lot of potholes. After the forest check post on the other end, roads were better. The Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery route is much better, and it may be wise to use this route (though tolls have to be paid).
Old 10th April 2023, 13:14   #1097

I am planning for a weekend trip from Bangalore - Kozhikode (Calicut). The earliest we can start from Bangalore airport is 8.30 PM and need to reach Calicut by 10 AM. I am aware that the road via Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Mananthavady-Kozhikode is open at night but we plan to take Gundlupete route (as we want to make a stop enroute and avoid wee hours night driving as myself as well as another co-driver would be having a morning flight arrival at Bangalore and post that attend office. There are high chances of feeling sleepy by 12 at night)
Please suggest some decent/manageable places for an overnight stop/sleep. We need to be queue by 5.30 AM to reach Kozhikode on time. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 10th April 2023, 14:23   #1098
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakti.mikun88 View Post
I am planning for a weekend trip from Bangalore - Kozhikode (Calicut). The earliest we can start from Bangalore airport is 8.30 PM and need to reach Calicut by 10 AM. I am aware that the road via Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Mananthavady-Kozhikode is open at night but we plan to take Gundlupete route (as we want to make a stop enroute and avoid wee hours night driving as myself as well as another co-driver would be having a morning flight arrival at Bangalore and post that attend office. There are high chances of feeling sleepy by 12 at night)
Please suggest some decent/manageable places for an overnight stop/sleep. We need to be queue by 5.30 AM to reach Kozhikode on time. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Both Gundlupete and Mananthavady routes are not wide enough for a fast drive, not a good choice for night drive (my opinion). With Gundlupete, you will have to stay overnight near Mysore/Chamarajnagar/Gundlupete and proceed in the morning.

Instead, I would say you should consider Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad-Mundur-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Calicut. Though longer distance wise, this route will ensure that you have wide roads till Palakkad and it will be much more faster with more facilities. You should be able to reach Palakkad by 3:30am, take a break for couple hours (if needed) and start to Calicut around 5:30 and still reach before 9am. I'm sure regulars on this route can validate my plan

Last edited by NPV : 10th April 2023 at 14:27.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 20:22   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The earliest we can start from Bangalore airport is 8.30 PM and need to reach Calicut by 10 AM.
With an 8:30 PM start from KIAL I doubt you'll get too far beyond Mysore in any direction before you want to break for the night. So best option is to do that in Mysore itself, where you'd be spoilt for choice. Start early - Mysore to the forest entry point is at max a 90-minute drive - and you should reach Calicut in time for your 10 AM appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Instead, I would say you should consider Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad-Mundur-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Calicut. [...] I'm sure regulars on this route can validate my plan
I think OP wants to break the journey because of their hectic travel plan in the days leading up to the trip.

Also Palakkad-Mundur-Perinthalmanna is avoidable due to road widening works. These days I take and recommend Palakkad-Lakkidi-Cherpulassery-Perinthalmanna.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:24   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
With an 8:30 PM start from KIAL I doubt you'll get too far beyond Mysore in any direction before you want to break for the night. So best option is to do that in Mysore itself, where you'd be spoilt for choice. Start early - Mysore to the forest entry point is at max a 90-minute drive - and you should reach Calicut in time for your 10 AM appointment.
You got it right. Its due to the hectic day which we want to be very careful about. I will keep the option open for stay at night. Depending on traffic and the time that we decide to power off for the day, I will take a break, definitely at or beyond Mysore. I am sure finding a night stay at Mysore on arrival won't be an issue.
I will share my experience on completing the trip.
Old 11th April 2023, 12:31   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
, definitely at or beyond Mysore. I am sure finding a night stay at Mysore on arrival won't be an issue.
Would suggest you plan stay at Mysore itself, nothing worth mentioning between Mysore to KL border and also, Mysore to the forest checkpost (the furthest you can drive in then night) is just around 1.5 hours, which you can do easily the next day morning.

Start around 5AM from Mysore the next day morning and you will be at Calicut before your 10.00 AM plan.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 13:06   #1102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Instead, I would say you should consider Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad-Mundur-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Calicut. Though longer distance wise, this route will ensure that you have wide roads till Palakkad and it will be much more faster with more facilities. You should be able to reach Palakkad by 3:30am, take a break for couple hours (if needed) and start to Calicut around 5:30 and still reach before 9am. I'm sure regulars on this route can validate my plan
Recently I traveled by Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur to go towards Mannarkkad. I don't remember the exact places but the ghat section were in terrible condition.

I may have to do a Bangalore-Calicut trip soon. How do these two options B'lore-Mysur-Calicut and B'lore-Salem-Palakkad-Calicut compare? The difference in distance/time seems to be huge as per Google maps. How about the road conditions especially the sections shown in the map here? Want to avoid ghat sections and the painful/broken roads if I can help it. Need to reach Calicut by 6pm or so, flexible to start anytime. Leaning towards Bangalore Salem Palakkad Calicut route for comfort, what would be the travel time at sedate speeds?

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-rt1.png

Last edited by androdev : 14th May 2023 at 13:09.
Old 14th May 2023, 13:47   #1103
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I may have to do a Bangalore-Calicut trip soon. How do these two options B'lore-Mysur-Calicut and B'lore-Salem-Palakkad-Calicut compare?
With the Bangalore-Mysore "expressway" ready, clearly the Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri-Thamarassery ghat-Calicut is a faster route, despite not having 4 laned sections beyond Mysore (also if you can choose an early morning time start, it will be a peaceful drive for the most part). I don't know the current condition of Thamarassery ghat, but I don't expect it to be too bad.

*I remember @binand had responded to my post on another thread saying there's ongoing road widening work on Palakkad-Mundur-Perinthalmanna route, so may not be a great choice currently (alternate route via cheruplassery may be an option but don't think it's worth it overall).

Last edited by NPV : 14th May 2023 at 13:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 19:15   #1104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I traveled by Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur to go towards Mannarkkad. I don't remember the exact places but the ghat section were in terrible condition.

I may have to do a Bangalore-Calicut trip soon. How do these two options B'lore-Mysur-Calicut and B'lore-Salem-Palakkad-Calicut compare?
Absolutely no need for any confusion. Mysore-Gundlepet-Bathery-Calicut is the default and best route. The roads are in great condition throughout. Expect around 7-8 hours of driving time. You will not encounter a pothole once you leave Bangalore all the way to Calicut.

The alternative is too long and even though 4/6 lane till Palakkad, now a days traffic is very high. The Palakkad Calicut stretch is a nightmare during the daytime. So stick to the Mysore route.

On a side note, not sure where you encountered bad roads on the gudalur Nilambur stretch. I drove the stretch in the last week of March and it was all in great condition. There was a stretch on the ghat that was repaired just 2-3 days before my trip. So assume your trip was before that.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 14th May 2023 at 19:16.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:00   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do these two options B'lore-Mysur-Calicut and B'lore-Salem-Palakkad-Calicut compare?
The Mysore route is shorter by the Salem route by about 150 km. With the BMEW opening, it ought to be the default choice - the last time I went (Feb 2023), I left home at 3 PM, entered the expressway at 5 PM and was parking in Calicut at 11.30 PM.

Caveat: You will have to go down a ghat section ("churam") any route you take beyond Mysore. It is unavoidable, given that Bangalore is at 900m+ altitude and Calicut is a coastal city - with the Western Ghats in between.

The Salem route avoids the need for steep ghats. Last time I went this way (April 2023), I started from Wilson Garden at 2.30 PM, crossed Attibele toll at 3.15 PM and was parking in Calicut at around midnight.

The pluses of Salem route is that it is not subject to night travel bans, and it offers alternatives in case the most optimal route is blocked for any reason (accident etc.).

Personally, I find daytime traffic on both routes (the 95 km Sultan Bathery-Calicut and the 115 km Palakkad-Calicut) to be horrible; with average speed of about 35 kmph and needing unwavering concentration on the road.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:08   #1106
Senior - BHPian

I did a Calicut Bangalore trip and back over the last week. Started sunday morning at 4 AM from home and reached Electronic City by 10 30 AM. Drove with just a short bio break in between. Returned the next saturday 13th May and the trip was more tiring. Started 4 AM from ECity and reached Wilton Sultan Bathery by around 8 AM. Started from Wilton at 8 30 and faced heavy traffic and multiple stand still blocks in the ghats. It took me 3 hrs to reach home from Sultan Bathery.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 14th May 2023 at 20:09.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 11:55   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

A late update

Onward - BLR - CLT - Fri- 28th April

Was planning on starting the next day, however since work got over early, decided to start from HSR at 4.00 PM. Took route through city, instead of NICE road due to ongoing work at NICE road. However, through city also it was equally bad, was nearing 6PM when we reached Mysore highway.

From there, it was fast till Nanjanguad. There was bit of a traffic past that, but nothing bothersome as such. Crossed forest checkpost around 8.15 PM and reached Wilton around 9.00 PM for a 30 mins dinner stop.

Started from Wilton around 9.30 PM and reached Calicut at 11.45PM.

Return - CLT - BLR - Mon - 1st May

Was anticipating heavy traffic, major worry being at ghats and between Mysore- Bangalore. Hence started a bit earlier than usual time at 1.45 PM from Calicut.

There was heavy traffic all way till Meenangadi and with rains too on and off, it was around 5.00 PM when we reached Batherry. Around 30 mins more than the usual time, but understandable due to weekend traffic + rains.

Took a 10 mins bio break at Mathais and started again.

Reached Gundlupet at 6.00PM, from here it was really bad the way till Bangalore.

Rain was bit heavy, traffic really bad and people were driving like crazy all way. The barricades placed on the highway for so called traffic enforcement and election related checking was causing huge jams with people trying to cut the lane and squeeze in from all the directions.

At around 8.15 PM, reached near Mysore ring road - Columbia hospital - highway signal. The last 600 meters of the ring road was water logged and had a block which took some 30 mins to cross.

Then the new highway had multiple water logged sections making the drive slow and equally dangerous. Reached NICE road junction around midnight and home around 1.00 AM. At 11+ hours, this was my longest Calicut- Bangalore drive ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Started 4 AM from ECity and reached Wilton Sultan Bathery by around 8 AM. Started from Wilton at 8 30 and faced heavy traffic and multiple stand still blocks in the ghats. It took me 3 hrs to reach home from Sultan Bathery.
3 hours from Bathery to Calicut is almost normal. The issue is, past Kalpetta byepass towards Calicut, there are no sections where you can easily overtake slow moving vehicles. Everywhere it will take bit of calculation due to narrow road/ ghat / town traffic.

One way to partially get over this is by crossing Wayanad before morning traffic picks up. If you reach Bandipur forest checkpost before 6.45 AM, you can cross most of the trucks which would have started towards Calicut side after checkpost opening inside forest or before Kalpetta.

That way, you get a comparatively fast drive till Thamarassery. Past that, you will anyway have to go through morning traffic. However, you can reach Calicut around 10 AM.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 17th May 2023 at 12:15.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 22:30   #1108
BHPian

Reached Vythiri today from Bangalore. There is forest toll being collected for non KA vehicles from both ends of the Bandipur forest (either entering KA or leaving). One interceptor inside Kerala border and some random vehicle checks.
Overall roads are good especially KL side (except Kalpetta bypass).
Old 3rd July 2023, 19:24   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Had one of the longest drives from Calicut this Saturday. Was a trip with friends and planned return for Saturday assuming the return traffic would be bad on Sunday.

Left Calicut at 12.30. As we approached the churam saw a 21 Minute delay indicated by Google. Stopped for lunch at Adivaram hoping it would become better. No luck. Had to bear our way through the jam. There seemed to be some minor breakdown causing it, but did not see the exact reason other than the heavy traffic. The 21 min delay was more like 45 min in reality. Once we climbed up, thought the worst was over. Was sadly mistaken- Again another google indicated 20 min jam around the Vythiri area. This was purely due to the tourist traffic criss-crossing the district. That also stretched to another 45 min longer than usual. The again same situation in Bathery town. Took around 45 min to cross the town.

By the time we exited Bathery it was almost 7pm. This included around 1.5 hrs of stops- So still 5.5 hrs. driving time. Post that also forest was slow, Gundlepet-Mysore was also heavy on traffic. By the time we entered the expressway it was 9.40pm with a total 2 hrs in breaks.

Thanks to the expressway and a relatively empty NICE road, reached home by 12am. If it was the old mysore highway, would have taken another 1-1.5 hrs extra.

Learning was not to attempt to cross Wayanad in the middle of a long weekend(or even on Saturdays) especially post lunch/evening. With no real alternatives, was a nightmare crawl. Have done such trips before, but in the recent instances has become very bad.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 3rd July 2023 at 19:25.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:26   #1110
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This query is for a friend who is planning to travel to Wayanad from Chennai this week/next week.
Is it a good time to visit ? Concerned about heavy rains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks