Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 14:56   #826
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

I'm planning to visit Calicut this weekend with family (plan to leave early morning say 3am on Saturday), and have been taking the Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Wayanad - Calicut route in all my past trips.

Considering the recent agitations on the way to Mysore and the Karnataka wide bandh situation tomorrow, what would you recommend? Would you rather recommend leaving Friday early morning (like 2am) instead?
Old 8th September 2016, 15:14   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Considering the recent agitations on the way to Mysore and the Karnataka wide bandh situation tomorrow, what would you recommend? Would you rather recommend leaving Friday early morning (like 2am) instead?
Do note that the bandh call is for 9-Sep, Friday. So in that sense, traveling on Sat is safer. However, if you are planning of starting on Friday it is best to start early.

However, I am not aware of ground situation on Mysore road as of now. You can refer the route mentioned by Ramanagaram police here.

I guess an early morning start, following that route will be helpful.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:53   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Do note that the bandh call is for 9-Sep, Friday. So in that sense, traveling on Sat is safer. However, if you are planning of starting on Friday it is best to start early.

However, I am not aware of ground situation on Mysore road as of now. You can refer the route mentioned by Ramanagaram police here.

I guess an early morning start, following that route will be helpful.
Thank you for the recommendation. Would you recommend going via the Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore route instead - even if I'm travelling Saturday early morning?
Old 8th September 2016, 17:42   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. Would you recommend going via the Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore route instead - even if I'm travelling Saturday early morning?
As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure of the current situation of Mysore road. There were reports yesterday that it was blocked. Considering tomorrow is a bandh lets assume status to remain same.

If you are planning of starting on Saturday morning, my suggestion would be to take Kanakpura road and join Mysore. You may end up wasting time if you go on Mysore road and find it blocked.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:10   #830
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure of the current situation of Mysore road. There were reports yesterday that it was blocked. Considering tomorrow is a bandh lets assume status to remain same.

If you are planning of starting on Saturday morning, my suggestion would be to take Kanakpura road and join Mysore. You may end up wasting time if you go on Mysore road and find it blocked.
Thanks a lot. Will keep your suggestion in mind.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:29   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And also keep an eye on the news reports. Sometimes events of the bandh day triggers further undesirable activity on subsequent days.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 08:57   #832
Senior - BHPian

Any sense in doing this route on Thursday?

Being Onam, the Cauvery issue has spoilt plans.

With today and tomorrow being shut down, I am not sure if Thursday will be peaceful. The other point being, I need to return via the same route on Saturday.

I was planning on the usual routes, Blore-Mysore or via Kanakapura, Kollegal, Gundlepet.

Last edited by tharian : 13th September 2016 at 09:19.
Old 13th September 2016, 10:36   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any sense in doing this route on Thursday?

Being Onam, the Cauvery issue has spoilt plans.

With today and tomorrow being shut down, I am not sure if Thursday will be peaceful. The other point being, I need to return via the same route on Saturday.

I was planning on the usual routes, Blore-Mysore or via Kanakapura, Kollegal, Gundlepet.
Wait for Wednesday evening to take the final call. Situation can change every hour. In case you travel, avoid Mysore/Mandya.

I think chamaraj nagar -kollegal - kanakpura route will be safest based on reports so far. If it can be done late night, that will be the best option. I asked few of my friends to cross muthanga by 8.30 pm and reach Bangalore by 2.30am or so.

Whoever is travelling, please post updates in this thread so that others can make use of that info.

Also see if few cars can travel together

Last edited by arjithin : 13th September 2016 at 10:38.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:53   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across in another forum that Bangalore - Calicut via both Mysore and Kanakpura route is open as of yesterday.

However, there are conflicting reports about Friday about a protest planned. I am unable to find any information about that in news, however those planning of returning on Sunday do keep an eye.
Old 14th September 2016, 19:02   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

Whoever is travelling, please post updates in this thread so that others can make use of that info.
A friend of mine travelled from Kothamangalam to Bangalore via Calicut/Batheri/Kollegal today.

Started at 3 AM, Breakfast at Batheri (9:00 AM) and Whitefield at 3.00 PM
Drive was uneventful.
Vehicle - Tata Indigo.

[15:29, 9/14/2016] : Any issues en route?
[15:36, 9/14/2016] : None. Road was less crowded than expected. Many areas I could drive at 90 kmph safely. Not sure if lack of vehicles were because of Kaveri situation or is that the general trend
Old 16th September 2016, 13:10   #836

When I traveled on the NH209 route in August, there were a few stretches of the road between Malavalli and Gundulpet which were undergoing repairs. Some small stretches were being leveled out. Overall distance of these stretches was probably under 5kms. Does anyone know if this road work complete now ?
Old 16th September 2016, 14:48   #837
BHPian

Does anybody know the road conditions in Pantheeramkavu-Kuttikkattor-Kunnamangalam stretch ?

For going from Ramanattukara to Kalpetta, Google Maps is suggesting to turn off at Pantheeramkavu and reach Kunnamangalam via Kuttikkattor. Confused whether to take this route and take the regular route.
Old 16th September 2016, 15:40   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvbengaluru View Post
Does anyone know if this road work complete now ?
My brother travelled through that route few weeks back. Though the work is not completed, there is nothing to worry about. However, now with less traffic on regular Mysore road and with road work between Mysore and Gundlupet almost done it may make sense to take the Mysore route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Does anybody know the road conditions in Pantheeramkavu-Kuttikkattor-Kunnamangalam stretch ?

For going from Ramanattukara to Kalpetta, Google Maps is suggesting to turn off at Pantheeramkavu and reach Kunnamangalam via Kuttikkattor. Confused whether to take this route and take the regular route.
It is best to take NH 17 Bye-pass, take right at Malaparamb junction and take NH 212. I guess the reason why Google is redirecting through Kuttikaatoor is due to -
- Ongoing bridge work at Mavoor road - NH Bye-pass junction causing slow moving traffic.
- Malaparamb junction has huge block sometimes. Two weeks back I was stuck all way from housing colony bus stand till junction on a weekend evening.
Old 17th September 2016, 09:06   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post

Depends on what time of the day you plan to travel. It does save time and distance if you are travelling during peak traffic. I very often take these roads. Only issue is that the roads may be confusing for someone who is not local, but if you travel with googlemaps, then no issues.

Be aware that this route is mostly 1.5 lane roads. Surface is good enough for 30-50kmph speed. Expect couple of bad stretches of 10-20 meters and few unmarked humps.

You can even try Pantheeramkavu - Kuttikattoor - Chathamangalam - Koduvally as well.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 06:11   #840
BHPian

I did a drive to Bangalore on Saturday, 17th Sep, which was an uneventful, but pretty long due to traffic.

I had to start my journey from Edappal, and that too very late at 11:30 AM for some reasons. Took the regular NH route to Kalpetta. Soon got royally stuck for around 30 minutes at Valanchery (12 to 12:30 PM). Google Maps had advised to turn off at Kuttippuram and take the Tirur route, which I chose to ignore.

The progress was very slow going forward, and at Kolappuram, Google asked me to leave the NH and go via Kolappuram->Calicut Airport->Kondotty->Edavannappara->Mukkam to Thamarasseri. This time, chose to go with Google and took that road. The roads were ok, but not very wide, similar to what arjithin mentioned above. Reached Thamarassery around 4:30 PM.

Thereafter, it was smooth flow. Luckily did not get stuck behind any slow moving heavy vehicles in Churam, and was able to reach Gundelpet around 7:30 PM. Reached Srirangapattanam at 9:15 PM and NICE road entrance at 11:30 PM.

Did not see any roadblocks in Mysore-Bangalore road.

Lesson learnt is to avoid Valancheri town during daytime. With the byepass work moving at snail's pace, it may take a long time before the bottleneck is cleared.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks