Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 20:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only reason why people stick to the other route is because its more scenic. Else NH7 is the best option in terms of ease of commute.
Thanks Ampere. Are there decent hotels in NH7 beyond Salem?

-tortoise
Old 20th April 2010, 20:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Thanks Ampere. Are there decent hotels in NH7 beyond Salem?

-tortoise
I am not aware of any. I think MX mentioned that one new hotel like A2B was coming up some near Dindigul.
It was some Bhavan (I think Meenakshi Bhavan but not sure.).

But dont know, if the hotel is opened up.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
hvk a pilgrimage is in the making at home. Whats the best route for Velankanni from Bangy ? I usually do a stop over at Pondy and then drive on from there. I am just contemplating on a direct drive from here if things are well.
There are 3 possible routes for Bangalore-Velankanni.

First is Bangalore-Salem-Karur-Trichy-Thanjavur

Here is the detailed route profile via Salem, Trichy

http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...pT5MNmkW1w_4BQ

The second is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai-Neyveli-Chidambaram-Velnakanni

Here is detailed route profile via Tiruvannamalai, Neyveli.

http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...ocOGWUY90Yyf_g

Third is a variation of Route 1, where you turn off NH7 at Namakkal instead of Karur, since NH67 from Karur to Trichy is in a bad shape, and the SH from Namakkal to Trichy via Musiri is preferable.

Lot of road widening work between Trichy and Thanjavur.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion it would be better to go via TVMalai. Lesser traffic and lesser congestion than the blocked Nammakal Musiry - Tanjore section.

Roads OK and not great. NH66 is a 2L with pot holes at many places.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think Riju has a Truck, so the potholes of NH66 should not be too much of a bother for him.
@ HVK - the only small change I would suggest is to carry on from Tiruvannamalai towards Villupuram, from Villupuram reach Panruti and then continue to Chidambaram via Cuddalore or Neyveli.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think Riju has a Truck, so the potholes of NH66 should not be too much of a bother for him.
@ HVK - the only small change I would suggest is to carry on from Tiruvannamalai towards Villupuram, from Villupuram reach Panruti and then continue to Chidambaram via Cuddalore or Neyveli.
When in TVMalai Nov last year, the hotel guys mentioned that TVMalai-Villupuram road now in good state. I have never done that though.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

AS suggested by srikanth and ampere, the T'Malai-Villupuram road is also good - someone went on it recently, he said it was good, avoids the extra distance and time going around Tindivanam. However, I would avoid the T'Malai-Villupuram route at night, it being quite lonely and having poor facilities.

The road via Karur to Trichy (NH67) is totally avoidable since road is being widened. The SH via Musiri is very good now.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
However, I would avoid the T'Malai-Villupuram route at night, it being quite lonely and having poor facilities.
Sir nothing to worry, its hardly an hour's journey and the nearest village is never more than couple of kms away. There is also bus traffic between Villupuram and TVMalai almost right through the night.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

The nearest bypass that I have done was a very-very good but very-very narrow road from some place 15 Km ahead Gingee (on the NH66) to Mailam. This totally by-passes Tindivanam and directly joins NH45 at the Mailam junction. It goes through many villages, but not good at night as its very narrow. Two vehicles cant even cross easily.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ Ampere - The road you are referring is the road via Rettanai which joins the NH45 at the Kootteripattu Jn. It is too narrow road and I doubt you would make up any time as compared to passing through Tindivanam especially if you are traveling in the night.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@ Ampere - The road you are referring is the road via Rettanai which joins the NH45 at the Kootteripattu Jn. It is too narrow road and I doubt you would make up any time as compared to passing through Tindivanam especially if you are traveling in the night.
Thats exactly what I mentioned. I had been to the Mailam temple through Tindivanam. While coming back at from Mailam, I saw at the NH45 junction about a which said Gingee. Since it was evening I took it and I also geographically see that it would help by-pass Tindivanam. That really saved time since I avoided Tindivanam and also about 30Km. But more importantly the crowded town.

But yes in the night its not worth it.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2010 at 10:38.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

We (Me & Wifey) have planned for a weekend Getaway to Kodaikanal during the second week of October. Since this will be my first drive to Kodai, I was really hoping if some experienced/veteran travellers here could help with the following:

1. Which is the Best and the Easiest route to drive through? We stay close to Forum and were planning to start between 3.30-4am from Bangalore. Is it possible to reach Kodaikanal by atleast 11am?

2. Would the weather conditions be acceptable if not good during the Second week of October?

3. By the looks of it, we might be staying at the "Highland Homes, Highland Parade" resort. Anyone has stayed here? Is it a descent resort? Also, how far is it from the main city in Kodai?

4. What are the places that we should be seeing around during our 2 day stay at this resort?

Really appreciate all your inputs on this guys and would be of immense help to me (Us).

Last edited by Vik0728 : 20th September 2010 at 12:10.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Easiest route is NH7 all the way till Dindigul and then turn to Batlagundu and the climb the hills. You should be able to reach by 11 (or somewhere around that time). if you start at 3:30 AM.

Not many hotels after Salem. So Have BF at Thoppur A2B which is on the other side of NH7 while going to Kodai (You will have to take a U and come back).

No idea of the resort.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ampere, thank you for that information buddy.
Would be better if you could provide a detailed road map like the kind of towns I would passing by or the places that I might need to ask for during the drive.
I am not very fluent with tamil and can just about manage, but in case I loose my way, this would help me a lot.

Thank you again for this information.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Ampere, thank you for that information buddy.
Would be better if you could provide a detailed road map like the kind of towns I would passing by or the places that I might need to ask for during the drive.
I am not very fluent with tamil and can just about manage, but in case I loose my way, this would help me a lot.

Thank you again for this information.
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishanagiri-Dharmapur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul.

At Salem keep going on the by-pass and look out for directions to Madurai/Dindigul/Karur etc.

You dont need to ask any till Dindigul. At Dindigul get on the by-pass and look for the Theni road (NH45). This will lead you to Batalagundu. Directions will be marked there for Kodai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks