Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 06:35   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Given this what would be a good restaurant near dindigul or 4 hrs from salem?

Thanks in advance
Thalappakatti Biriyani in Batlagundu is a good option for you.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:37   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to travel to Kodai this weekend. I am travelling with infant and a child. Planning to start early at 6am (that is the earliest we can start owing to infant).

We plan to break for breakfast at Salem, however I am not sure if we can reach kodai for lunch as I am not an aggressive driver and with kids I will have to take frequent breaks. Not to mention the ghat section slows us down considerably due to motion sickness.

Given this what would be a good restaurant near dindigul or 4 hrs from salem?

Thanks in advance

You should be able to get to Kodai in 4 hrs even if you drive at a normal pace. Stopping between Salem and Dindigul will be an absolute nightmare ( read thermal shock )

If your kids have motion sickness , suggest you don't get them to eat before a ghat climb. It's a good 90 min climb. Maybe something like biscuits would do.

Alternatively Venu Biriyani in Dindigul town is a famous joint. 49, East Car Street, Begambur, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu 624001. ( Avila Le on Google Maps )

Talpakatti Biryani is available at Bathlagundu.

There is a Dindigul Tallapakati just opened 2 weeks
ago at Kodaikanal( opp Govt Hospital ). Easy to find and at the entrance of Kodai. Good food. Was there the day it opened.

Tank up in Shoolagiri , while coming back there is an A2B somewhere close to Dharmapuri. That complex had a company operated fuel bunk. Bunks in Kodai open only at 8 am so if you going to start early and need fuel , tank up the previous day.

Enjoy the climate. It's just awesome for summer.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 14:51   #213
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

If your kids have motion sickness , suggest you don't get them to eat before a ghat climb. It's a good 90 min climb. Maybe something like biscuits would do.
Thanks, I think I will carry some snacks just incase and try to hit Kodai for a late lunch. I am lodging at villa retreat- will check if they can hold on to lunch for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Enjoy the climate. It's just awesome for summer.
Absolutely, thanks!
Old 4th May 2017, 19:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I think I will carry some snacks just incase and try to hit Kodai for a late lunch. I am lodging at villa retreat- will check if they can hold on to lunch for us.

Absolutely, thanks!

Stayed in the same place. Call Shyam. I am sure he will organise something.
Old 7th September 2017, 13:42   #215
BHPian

Hi All.. I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kodai on the night of Friday 29th Dec. Since roads are expected to be full of traffic, I am planning to start around 12 AM Friday Night/ Sat Morning cusp and reach Kodai by Mid-day latest (considering extra Traffic).

I hear that the Salem -> Dindigul -> Vattalagundu route is safe from law and order perspective and I plan to do the Ghats in the morning light.

I will be using a 80K KM old second hand Santro (took it at 75K KM and serviced at Bosch - in good condition as far as I reckon) or a Myles 7-Seater, depending on number of guests that arrive.

Do you folks see any risk in this? Or any advise and suggestions please? We did this in a chauffer drivel car last year but started at 2 PM and reached at 11 PM.

I have decent driving experience like Pune -Goa, around Bangalore (300+ KMS) and also do extensive Motorcycle rides with my wife. So the sleep factor, Driving Skills are kind of OK .

Ah yes and I plan to stay at Greenland Youth Hostel - 2100 per night, (cheaper rooms also there), and a awesome valley/ mountain/ jungle view and very, very serene. Was suggested by a local friend and wanted to share this with all.

Regards,
Saurab Chatterjee

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 7th September 2017 at 13:45. Reason: Added the accommodation which I found extremely VFM and awesome location
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 14:06   #216
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I hear that the Salem -> Dindigul -> Vattalagundu route is safe from law and order perspective and I plan to do the Ghats in the morning light.
Route is good, a friend drove in the night few months ago, did not face any difficulties.

Quote:
I have decent driving experience like Pune -Goa, around Bangalore (300+ KMS) and also do extensive Motorcycle rides with my wife. So the sleep factor, Driving Skills are kind of OK .
Night driving is a different animal, don't want to discourage you but the least you must do is to make sure you are well rested (get enough sleep) before the drive.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 14:50   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Route is good, a friend drove in the night few months ago, did not face any difficulties.

Night driving is a different animal, don't want to discourage you but the least you must do is to make sure you are well rested (get enough sleep) before the drive.
Many thanks for your points.

Yes, agree 100% that Night Driving is indeed a different animal. Early experiences in Maharashtra were tiring and tolling. Attempted it first time in the Southern India for Kasargod, started 2:30 AM. Did not feel much stressed.

Since the route is safe, and it will be New Year Traffic, I plan to go ahead with my schedule and yes, shall ensure am rested and have a good conversation running with my passenger

Thanks Again!!
Saurab
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:08   #218

I am planning to go to kodaikanal with my family on the new year.
How are the road conditions, is it prone to landslides ?
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:46   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldeGaur View Post
I am planning to go to kodaikanal with my family on the new year.

How are the road conditions, is it prone to landslides ?

The road condition is very good. Yes the roads are prone to landslides but I guess it is not raining anymore. Suggest you check with your resort. Give them a call.

It is going to be very cold there now. Expect sub 10 degree C.
Old 24th April 2018, 13:07   #220
Senior - BHPian

Let me start off the 2018 edition of this thread.
I plan to do Vellore-Kodaikanal this week which is largely the same route as discussed in this thread.
I plan to stop for breakfast at Salem - can someone suggest which place will be good to have a relaxed breakfast. Maybe something with a good play area for kids or open space for some fresh air after breakfast.
The options I have looked at are - Radisson (Park Plaza), Grand Estancia and Cenneys. Looking for a good spread with Indian and continental options if possible.
As I am travelling with my mother (who has mobility issues), wife and along with 2 children (including an infant) I may need to break the journey and go up the hill the next day.
Old 24th April 2018, 14:12   #221
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The options I have looked at are - Radisson (Park Plaza), Grand Estancia and Cenneys. Looking for a good spread with Indian and continental options if possible.
Don't know about Cenneys, but Radisson and Estancia are your best bets given you're looking for a good breakfast spread. I'm not so sure about the play area for kids at these places.
Among other regular options, Sai Sangeet at Thoppur (on right side) probably has the best food and a lovely store on the ground floor. This is inside an Indian Oil petrol bunk campus just before the Thoppur toll.
There is also a Bharat Petroleum campus nearby, again on right side with an A2B (run down and badly maintained), but it does have a small play area for kids. I would avoid this A2B.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 09:33   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't know about Cenneys, but Radisson and Estancia are your best bets given you're looking for a good breakfast spread. I'm not so sure about the play area for kids at these places.
Among other regular options, Sai Sangeet at Thoppur (on right side) probably has the best food and a lovely store on the ground floor. This is inside an Indian Oil petrol bunk campus just before the Thoppur toll.
There is also a Bharat Petroleum campus nearby, again on right side with an A2B (run down and badly maintained), but it does have a small play area for kids. I would avoid this A2B.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably end up with Radisson for a relaxed breakfast. Ive stopped at Sai Sangeet for lunch once and it was great. Isnt there a CCD right next to it.
Ive also had a break for coffee at the BP and A2B place and found it too crowded and full of flies. The petrol bunk was great though! I think they had a small donut place which was decent.
Old 25th April 2018, 13:29   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

will be driving to Kodaikanal this weekend (Saturday onward and Tuesday return) from Bengaluru. 3 families of 2 adults and 1 kid each in 2 cars
will depart at 6AM. Planning to reach Shoolagiri Mcd/Krishna complex by 7:15AM for Breakfast
I expect that it'll be ~8AM by the time we can finish breakfast and leave.
Need suggestions on where we can stop for lunch.
Or is it possible that we go directly to Kodaikanal by 2PM?
Old 25th April 2018, 20:07   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Planning to reach Shoolagiri Mcd/Krishna complex by 7:15AM for Breakfast
I doubt you can reach by 2 PM.

Should take 5-5.5 hrs for Shoolagiri-Vathalagundu and 2.5 hrs-ish for Kodai. Take an early lunch between Karur and Dindigul
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 20:14   #225
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
will depart at 6AM. Planning to reach Shoolagiri Mcd/Krishna complex by 7:15AM for Breakfast
Keep in mind it's a long weekend and you need to negotiate 1 or 2 toll plazas (BETL, Attibele. If you take NICE Road, then you avoid BETL) before you reach Shoolagiri.

For lunch you can stop somewhere around Dindigul/Bathlagundu probably. The ghat road starts from Bathlagundu, so if there are folks with motion sickness, you may want to rethink where to have lunch.

I would start early so that I can reach Kodai by lunch time, but this being a long weekend changes the equation (I don't know how early is early enough to beat the traffic ?).

Last edited by NPV : 25th April 2018 at 20:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks