Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 03:52   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Hello Everyone. One of my friend is planning to do a Bangalore > Munnar. Kindly suggest him the best route based on present road conditions. He will be traveling with family.
Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar

This is better although it adds about 50 kms to the trip. It's the NH7 till Dindigul and you will hardly find any traffic for about 80%of the trip
Old 21st March 2016, 06:50   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Hello Everyone. One of my friend is planning to do a Bangalore > Munnar. Kindly suggest him the best route based on present road conditions. He will be traveling with family.
If your place of stay is near Club Mahindra, then going via Theni makes sense otherwise stick to the Udumalaipet route. Do note that the latter route has more traffic compared to the Theni route.
Old 1st April 2016, 13:21   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If your place of stay is near Club Mahindra, then going via Theni makes sense otherwise stick to the Udumalaipet route. Do note that the latter route has more traffic compared to the Theni route.
Any idea as to the current condition of the Udumalaipet route? I'm planning to go via the Theni route but come back via Udumalaipet so that we can drive through Chinnar and maybe spot something wild.
Old 1st April 2016, 16:36   #1009
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
Any idea as to the current condition of the Udumalaipet route? I'm planning to go via the Theni route but come back via Udumalaipet so that we can drive through Chinnar and maybe spot something wild.
Route is fine, except for some narrow, slightly rough patches inside the Chinnar forest, nothing unmanageable. Also, during December there was some pipe laying work on the road leading towards Chinnar from Udumalaipet town, took us about 15-20 minutes to cross that work in progress zone. It may be complete now.
Do plan a visit to the Eravikulam national park to see the Nilgiri Tahr, it is on the Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Chinnar route.

Where will you be staying ? If you take the Theni route you will reach Chinnakanal first (Sterling, Mahindra and other resorts) and from there it can take about an hour or so to reach Munnar town which is about 20Km away.

Last edited by NPV : 1st April 2016 at 16:39.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:48   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Route is fine, except for some narrow, slightly rough patches inside the Chinnar forest, nothing unmanageable. Also, during December there was some pipe laying work on the road leading towards Chinnar from Udumalaipet town, took us about 15-20 minutes to cross that work in progress zone. It may be complete now.
Thanks for the update. Will try out this route on the return.

Quote:
Where will you be staying ? If you take the Theni route you will reach Chinnakanal first (Sterling, Mahindra and other resorts) and from there it can take about an hour or so to reach Munnar town which is about 20Km away.

Club Mahindra. So it arrives first before Munnar town. Any ideas on places to see nearby apart from Kollulumalai Tea Estate?
Old 3rd April 2016, 17:05   #1011
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
Thanks for the update. Will try out this route on the return.

Club Mahindra. So it arrives first before Munnar town. Any ideas on places to see nearby apart from Kollulumalai Tea Estate?
If you are gong to stay at Club Mahindra, I would suggest that you take the Theni route. Anayirankal Dam is a nice place to visit, which is close to the Club Mahindra resort.

Food is expensive at Club Mahindra. There are some small restaurants close to the resort, which are not bad at all.
iamnarayang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 13:29   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
If you are gong to stay at Club Mahindra, I would suggest that you take the Theni route. Anayirankal Dam is a nice place to visit, which is close to the Club Mahindra resort.

Food is expensive at Club Mahindra. There are some small restaurants close to the resort, which are not bad at all.
Thanks for the info on the dam, seems like a nice place to check out.

Yes, the buffet is expensive in Club Mahindra. However they had some kind of express short eat service sometime back at other resorts, wonder if it will be available here as well. The small restaurants sound interesting.
Old 5th April 2016, 14:19   #1013
BHPian

Hey guys, i am planning a trip to Munnar this weekend. I will be taking the Bangalore-Dindigul-Theni route. Need help in terms of a good restaurant for lunch en-route. PLan to leave between 5:30-6:30 AM from Bangalore and hopefully will reach around Karur/Dindigul by lunch time. Any info on restaurants on NH7 around these places would be highly appreciated.
Old 5th April 2016, 14:32   #1014
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Need help in terms of a good restaurant for lunch en-route. PLan to leave between 5:30-6:30 AM from Bangalore and hopefully will reach around Karur/Dindigul by lunch time. Any info on restaurants on NH7 around these places would be highly appreciated.
If you start at 5:30, you can stop for breakfast at the Saravana bhavan Aasai Dosai in Salem by 8-8:30am.
Your lunch stop can be at Theni - Western Gatz or Meenakshi Bhavan. You may reach tad early for lunch, in that case try to start by 5am so that you can be at Munnar for a late lunch.
Where do you plan to stay at Munnar ?
The Theni route will take you via Chinnakanal where you have Sterling, Mahindra and other resorts. From there you need about an hour or so to reach Munnar town which is ~20Km away. Munnar town - try Saravana Bhavan (namesake but good veg. food) or Silver Spoon or Sujatha Inn (north Indian/Rajasthani food).

Last edited by NPV : 5th April 2016 at 14:35.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:40   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Any info on restaurants on NH7 around these places would be highly appreciated.
If you would be around Batlagundu for lunch time, you can try one of these

Nonveg:
If you are a fast driver, You can opt for Thalapakatti Restaurant near Batlagundu (very limited veg menu, so avoid if you are travelling with vegetarian folks)

Veg:
Meenakshi Bhavan just before Batlagundu.
Old 5th April 2016, 14:46   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
If you start at 5:30, you can stop for breakfast at the Saravana bhavan Aasai Dosai in Salem by 8-8:30am.
Your lunch stop can be at Theni - Western Gatz or Meenakshi Bhavan. You may reach tad early for lunch, in that case try to start by 5am so that you can be at Munnar for a late lunch.
Where do you plan to stay at Munnar ?
The Theni route will take you via Chinnakanal where you have Sterling, Mahindra and other resorts. From there you need about an hour or so to reach Munnar town which is ~20Km away. Munnar town - try Saravana Bhavan (namesake but good veg. food) or Silver Spoon or Sujatha Inn (north Indian/Rajasthani food).
Thanks @NPV. I am not a very early riser , so leaving early is a bit doubtful and with 2 kids, it becomes even more doubtful. Will try my best, let's see. Breakfast I am planning somewhere between Krishnagiri and Salem. Saravana Bhavan wd be a good option. For lunch, I think i would be around - Karur or Dindigul or Batlagandu during the lunch time. Will stay in CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
If you would be around Batlagundu for lunch time, you can try one of these

Nonveg:
If you are a fast driver, You can opt for Thalapakatti Restaurant near Batlagundu (very limited veg menu, so avoid if you are travelling with vegetarian folks)

Veg:
Meenakshi Bhavan just before Batlagundu.
Thanks @nfsfreak. Yes, Thalapakatti is a nice one; I plan to have lunch here on my return journey. Onward, would prefer a light and veg lunch. Have you tried Meenakshi Bhavan? How about Eden garden just after Batlagandu?
Old 5th April 2016, 15:03   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Onward, would prefer a light and veg lunch. Have you tried Meenakshi Bhavan? How about Eden garden just after Batlagandu?
Yes, I had tried breakfast and lunch @ Meenakshi Bhavan. It's good.

It is located just before Batlagundu, towards Theni on your left side. Hard to miss, and usually crowded during holidays. After crossing Dindigul, it's the first decent veg restaurant that you'd see.

Sorry, havent tried Eden garden yet.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 16:48   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, i am planning a trip to Munnar this weekend. I will be taking the Bangalore-Dindigul-Theni route. Need help in terms of a good restaurant for lunch en-route. PLan to leave between 5:30-6:30 AM from Bangalore and hopefully will reach around Karur/Dindigul by lunch time. Any info on restaurants on NH7 around these places would be highly appreciated.
To add to your options:

1. There is a Ponram food square(NonVeg) just under the byepass bridge when you turn off at Dindigul.
2. There is another Meenakshi Bhavan in Theni which comes just after Theni town to your right.
3. Hotel Valluvar(n?) in Aravakurichi about 30km from Karur is also pretty good.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:30   #1019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Breakfast I am planning somewhere between Krishnagiri and Salem. Saravana Bhavan wd be a good option. For lunch, I think i would be around - Karur or Dindigul or Batlagandu during the lunch time. Will stay in CM.
Just before Batlagundu while coming from Dindigul, I noticed a Sai Arya Bhavan. Dont know the quality. Just saw the hotel while passing. Its about 1.5 km before the town T-Junction.

Please also note:

You now have a Batlagundu bypass. I think you will need to drive past the bypass for about a km towards the town to reach this hotel.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:14   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just before Batlagundu while coming from Dindigul, I noticed a Sai Arya Bhavan. Dont know the quality. Just saw the hotel while passing. Its about 1.5 km before the town T-Junction.

Please also note:

You now have a Batlagundu bypass. I think you will need to drive past the bypass for about a km towards the town to reach this hotel.
Yes Ampere, I have been to this hotel earlier for some snacks. It was good.

Any pointer on where this new bypass has come up? Is there any sign board?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks