Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 16:03   #76
BHPian

re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks a lot, indivic, for kind advice. I shall follow this route so that I will have the halwa and eat it too!
You are welcome ! If you get spare time on your hand there are several temples on this route starting with the one at Thiruvaiyaru, then Thingalur, at Ganapathi Agraharam enroute Thiruvaiyaru to Swamimalai (my native village from father's side). As the name goes, its famous for its Ganesha temple, you can see the gopuram and arch from the road, do check it out.

The temple closes by 12.00 noon and reopens at 4.30ish in the afternoon.
Old 21st January 2011, 18:25   #77
J.Ravi

Thanks once again, indivic. Yes, I could see Ganapathi Agraharam on SH 22 in MMI. We will visit the Ganesha temple along with Thiruvaiyaru, Thingalur [one of the Navagraha temples] and Thirunageswaram. We will also visit Thanjavur Periya Koil.

Old 30th June 2011, 20:21   #78
BHPian

Planning a drive to Thanjavur. Planning to take Trichy route. Any alternates? Understand that Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thanjavur is not good even though it is shorter
Old 30th June 2011, 20:26   #79
BHPian

It is the quickest route. Just 45 mins from trichy.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 22:50   #80
Team-BHP Support

Better to take that route. Its 4L all the way! What more do we need!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 23:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Planning a drive to Thanjavur. Planning to take Trichy route. Any alternates? Understand that Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thanjavur is not good even though it is shorter
Yes. You are right. I did this route and the condition is horrible. Better stick with NH45 to reach Trichy and then proceed to Thanjavur.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 10:54   #82
BHPian

Thanks for the quick advice. I will update after the trip.
Old 4th July 2011, 17:29   #83
BHPian

Had a wonderful trip. Left Chennai at 6.30 am, had 45 min break at Aryas Garden at Tindivanam and reached Thanjavur at 12.30 pm.

On the return trip left at 12.15 pm and reached Chennai at 5.30 pm after a 15 min break on the way.

Fully 4 laned all the way.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

My previous visit was all through 4 way via Trichy and it was fine. Those days there was no toll between Trichy and Tanjore. Is there toll now a days if So How much.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:44   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys

I know this question is repeated but I'm looking for the route for Chennai -Tiruchi - Thanjavur. Chennai to Tiruchi is not a problem since I've driven many times Chennai-Madurai, so I'm looking for details like where I should leave NH45 to drive towards Thanjavur, is there a by-pass etc.

Thanks.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guys

I know this question is repeated but I'm looking for the route for Chennai -Tiruchi - Thanjavur. Chennai to Tiruchi is not a problem since I've driven many times Chennai-Madurai, so I'm looking for details like where I should leave NH45 to drive towards Thanjavur, is there a by-pass etc.

Thanks.
While going from Madras towards Trichy, IMMEDIATELY AFTER crossing the two Cauvery bridges, you'll reach a major junction - turn left at that point to go to Thanjavur.

I think there is a bridge at that junction now, so you'll have to take the side road, without going over the bridge.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 17:01   #87
BHPian

I hope you know the Paal Pannai (Milk Farm) Junction. That's where you have to take left. If you havent been recently after they built the flyover, you will find it difficult as the place is completely changed.

Just watch for the Thanjavur sign, but don't take the left immediately, I think the board it kept too early, you need to go little and take the left service road.

You will be amazed how good the road between Trichy and Thanjavur, it is similar to NH45 with 4 lanes on each side. You can reach Thanjavur pretty quickly, you have to pay toll though
carbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 18:02   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I hope you know the Paal Pannai (Milk Farm) Junction. That's where you have to take left. If you havent been recently after they built the flyover, you will find it difficult as the place is completely changed.

Just watch for the Thanjavur sign, but don't take the left immediately, I think the board it kept too early, you need to go little and take the left service road.

You will be amazed how good the road between Trichy and Thanjavur, it is similar to NH45 with 4 lanes on each side. You can reach Thanjavur pretty quickly, you have to pay toll though
Yes, indeed it is in great condition. I did Trichy-Tanjore in 35 minutes flat. Only slow down area is till thiruverumbur till you cross the bustand. After that, road is all yours

-Ravi
Old 28th January 2012, 08:44   #90
Team-BHP Support

The other point to note is if one tries to take our new found route (Vridhachalam-Jayankondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam-Tanjore), it does not help much either.
A reduction in 40km but you pay with heavy traffic and twisted roads.

I think the 4-Lane is the best option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks