Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

I agree with funnyguru. NH45 is better option. Though its a longer route, you can drive comfortably than going via traditional panruti/sethiathoppu/kumbakonam route. Its all 2 lane, so more time consuming.

-Ravi
Old 17th December 2010, 22:21   #62
BHPian

Chennai - Trichy - Varagur

Hello Guys,

I need some help in getting the route, I need to travel to Varagur (I dont knoe how many people know about this small village Near Tirukattupalli, its my family deity place). So i am planning to take the

Chennai - trichy (nh45), from trichy to tirukattupalli Via Kallanai to reach Varagur.

Usually used to go via tourist car or train till Tanjore and then take the Bus, This time i am planning to make it in my car itself

I am sure that Chennai - Trichy (NH45) is awesome expressway, So what about the other roads lane and How bad or Good it is? - Trichy to Kallani and from Kallani to Tirukattupalli? your valuable suggession please, waiting....
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:41   #63
BHPian

re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

Took the Route of Trichy-Kallani-Tirukattupalli-Varagur... The road is phenomenal.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:47   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Took the Route of Trichy-Kallani-Tirukattupalli-Varagur... The road is phenomenal.
Do you have a track log for this route? I dont see it in Google maps.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Except for the fact that this is a narrow stretch of road, the simple fact that it runs for the most part parallel to Cauvery and offshoots is simply great.

Traffic is very less along this route, and I usually get to Trichy from my native village in about 2 hours, when it would take almost the same time to get to Thanjavur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you have a track log for this route? I dont see it in Google maps.
Try this one

Grand Anicut, Tamil Nadu, India to Tiruchchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

On NH45 going towards Chennai you have to make an U-turn to take this exit. This is the route I take from Kallanai, comig from Thiruvaiyaru (SH22). There is also the option of taking the road on the other side of the river, dont know how this road is.

Last edited by indivic : 3rd January 2011 at 20:11.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:10   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Except for the fact that this is a narrow stretch of road, the simple fact that

Try this one

Grand Anicut, Tamil Nadu, India to Tiruchchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps
Thanks for the link. Sometime back someone had asked this question, if SH22 is a good option to by-pass Tanjore. Looks it potentially can be a good option.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Sometime back someone had asked this question, if SH22 is a good option to by-pass Tanjore. Looks it potentially can be a good option.

You are welcome. It is very good by day, not recommended for bad weather conditions or night in my opinion. It is best to reach Trichy before dusk falls, from my experience.

Reasons
1) Hardly any infrastructure on this route by way of repair shops, fuel stations, eating joints, hospital etc (admittedly it takes hardly 2 -2.5 hours from my native village, but still)
2) It is for all practical purposes a single lane for most of the way in terms of road width and therefore giving way to a bus or lorry past Kallanai has to be a planned move since there are no proper kerbs to the road.
3) It runs besides the river/tributary mostly and therefore I dont know what would happen during rains or if the river is in spate (less likely scenario, but still)

When I come from Tiruvaiyaru, I see some traffic till the Poondi basilica or Tirukattupalli and beyond that nothing till Kallanai, from Kallanai ofcourse there will be the tourist cabs or buses to Trichy.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:20   #68
J.Ravi

We will be visiting Swamimalai next month. I will be driving in day time only and don't mind long, but better route. Kindly advise me as to which is the better route to drive, out of the following options:

1] Trichy-Thanjavur-Swamimalai [NH 67/45C] [Learnt 4-laning works were in progress with a lot of diversions between Trichy and Thanjavur]

or

2] Trichy-Thiruvaiyaru-Swamimalai [SH 22] [road with full of twists and curves: I had driven on this stretch a very long time back]

Last edited by J.Ravi : 20th January 2011 at 15:21.

Old 21st January 2011, 13:14   #69
Team-BHP Support

It does looks like the SH22 may be a good option to by-pass Tanjore. Check one post above. But yes not not good for night driving.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:20   #70
J.Ravi

Thanks, ampere. But, the latest status of the work on NH 67 would definitely help in selecting the route. By chance, if it is completed, I would prefer the first option. I think, NH 45C bypasses Tanjavur.

Old 21st January 2011, 13:26   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks, ampere. But, the latest status of the work on NH 67 would definitely help in selecting the route. By chance, if it is completed, I would prefer the first option. I think, NH 45C bypasses Tanjavur.
Sir I am not sure there is a by-pass for 45C. You will have to go via the big-temple. (All the better is it not!).
The intersection of 45 and 67 is really chaotic. Heard of many jams on that signal.

PS: I just wanted to write Brihadeshwara temple as "big-temple". When I looked at Google maps, it indeed is mentioned as "big-temple" !

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2011 at 13:27.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:44   #72
J.Ravi

Quote:
You will have to go via the big-temple. (All the better is it not!).
Yes, ampere. That's the reason. I visited the Periya Koyil [Big Temple] a decade back in my Maruti Suzuki Omni, so now I wish to refresh my memory!

Old 21st January 2011, 14:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Sir I am not sure there is a by-pass for 45C. You will have to go via the big-temple. (All the better is it not!).
The intersection of 45 and 67 is really chaotic. Heard of many jams on that signal.
I had gone to Thanjavur last month. NH 67 is almost complete except for initial stretch from NH45 till Tiruverumbur. You are not aware that you have reached Thanjavur as there were no boards. The clue is you encounter many flyovers which points to major town being bypassed. I needed to stop and ask for directions.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes, ampere. That's the reason. I visited the Periya Koyil [Big Temple] a decade back in my Maruti Suzuki Omni, so now I wish to refresh my memory!
Even though the SH22 is quite a winding road, it makes for peaceful driving at an unhurried pace, taking in the greenery on both sides.

You could try the Trichy - Thiruvaiyaru (on SH22) - Thanjavur - Thiruvaiyaru - Swamimalai (back again on SH22), that way your exposure to NH45C is about 15km one way. An additional temptation would be the Asoka halwa at Thiruvaiyaru

We usually avoid the NH45C out of Kumbakonam to Ayyampettai, due to the nasty state/town buses competing with each other.

Hope this helps
Old 21st January 2011, 14:49   #75
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
You could try the Trichy - Thiruvaiyaru (on SH22) - Thanjavur - Thiruvaiyaru - Swamimalai (back again on SH22), that way your exposure to NH45C is about 15km one way. An additional temptation would be the Asoka halwa at Thiruvaiyaru
Thanks a lot, indivic, for kind advice. I shall follow this route so that I will have the halwa and eat it too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks