Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 09:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh please see mmy post earlier, the lower anaicut bridge is under repair near Kumbakonam, you either have to go via Chidambaram - Mayavaram - Kumbakonam or opt for tractor towing your car across the river bed. Given the conditions I doubt you would be able to reach Tanjavur in 4 hours from Chennai.

Both Options 1 & 2 would invovlve tractor towing.

Option 3 could be a decent bet as the roads upto Perambalur or in good shape but still I doubt you would reach in 4 hours

Option 4 is a non starter because you would lose a lot of time trying to get out of Trichy until you cross Tiruverumbur etc. also the Trichy - Tanjavur road does not allow you to do a fair clip because of traffic, and some road widening work.

My Wagon R was towed across the river when my Mom went to Kumbakonam about 10 days back. It costed them Rs. 250, not wanting to take a risk they opted to come back via Chidambaram.

You will be able to make it to Tanjavur in about 6 1/2 hours and nothing less if you opt via Chidambaram. If you opt via the regular route taking into account the towing you should be able to make it about 5 1/2 hours.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 11th May 2009 at 09:57.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:41   #17
BHPian

Thaks for the update srikanth. Based on your inputs, I will go for option 3. Any idea on Perambalur - Tanjavur road condition?
Old 11th May 2009, 12:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mahesh, if you are OK with towing I would suggest you stick to the regular route because it would still be the fastest. Though I did not drive the day my Mom went, the guy who drove my car was a fairly experienced chap who had confirmed to me "the towing was nothing to worry about" and took only about 10 minutes to cross the river bed.

Am not sure of the road conditions from Perambalur onwards so a known devil is better than an unknown angel, not to forget that the buses do not take the regular route from Vadalur onwards upto Kumbakonam meaning the roads are free as well.

After starting at 4.30 with a break in Melmaruvathur and Neyveli for breakfast my Mom reached Uppiliyappan Koil at 10.30 despite the towing through the river bed would give you an idea of how much time you might take to reach Tanjavur.
Old 11th May 2009, 13:33   #19
BHPian

Srikanth:
Sure going thru panruti, I can pickup some jack fruits & mangos for my relatives.
Any idea how deep is the water? Mine is a Fabia with a lower ground clearence. Thats why I'm worried.
Old 11th May 2009, 13:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its more to do with Sand than water, if my Wagon R can cross I think the Fabia can cross as well.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:14   #21
BHPian

Thanks a ton Srikanth.
Old 6th June 2009, 08:05   #22
BANNED

any update - lower anaicut bridge repair situation & kumbakonam to salem route

TRIP : From chennai to kumbakonam then to salem to chennai. is there any latest update on the lower anaicut bridge repair . where exactly one has to take detour near TINDIVANAM to go to kumbakonam via Valavanur- panruti-sethiathoppu..if this is suggested. your guidance is much appreciated.

what is the better way to go to salem from kumbakonam/thanjavur. (Thanjavur- tiruchi-namakkal-salem ?)

preference is smooth travel/better roads.

Mods- if i have combined two question ..kindly do the edit.Thanks.
Old 6th June 2009, 22:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
TRIP : From chennai to kumbakonam then to salem to chennai.
Salem to Chennai via which route Krishnagiri or Ulundurpet? Krishnagiri route would be marginally higher (around 40 kms extra). This route is finished completely (except in two place where in (very) small stretches, both the side traffics will be on single lane). Via Krishnagiri is a fantastic route. Anacut bridge is still not ready...
Old 6th June 2009, 23:01   #24
BANNED

Thanks for the reply.
you have mentioned "Anacut bridge is still not ready..." so what do you suggest for chennai to kumbakonam.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:49   #25
BANNED

How abou this option -chennai To Swamimalai,Kumbakonam

What do you think about this option
An option to avoid ARIYALUR..
After reaching ULUNDURPETTAI(Chennai - Chengalpattu - Tindivanam) taking the road towards MANGALPET THANDALAI UDAYARPALAI then to SWAMIMALAI. TIA
Old 20th July 2009, 09:28   #26
BANNED

any update on Anacut bridge

any update on Anacut bridge . have they started allowing vehicles. TIA
i google'd but no proper info. so posting here .
Old 20th July 2009, 15:41   #27
BHPian

Chennai - Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
... so what do you suggest for chennai to kumbakonam.
I had to make a quick temple run to Kumbakonam this weekend. Never been there, so for the onward journey, went by the route recommendation of the hotel - which was ECR, Pondy, Cudalore, Chidambaram, Sirgazhi, Mayiladuthurai, & Kumbakonam. The quality of the roads severely limits speed - left home at ~7:00 PM & reached Kumbakonam at ~2:00 AM (no stops en-route) - the distance covered was ~320 Kms. Beyond Cudalore, the road narrows to the point where one doubts its a NH anymore, it was the ungodly hour that kept traffic away & hence helped progress.

A cab driver in Kumbakonam suggested that the better route was the one through Panruti. The route is Kumbakonam, Anakarai, Setiyarthopu, Vadalur, Panruti, Vikravandi, Tindivanam, & Chennai. For the most part this route is good with broad 2-laned roads, but some sections are quite bad with badly broken or poorly patched tarmac. This route merges with NH45 just before Vikravandi (I think on the newly constructed Ulunderpet section). Left Kumbakonam at ~3:00 PM & reached home at ~8:00 PM - the distance covered was ~275 Kms.

Based on this weekend's experience, the Chennai to Kumbakonam route, via Panruti, appears to be the better route. However, if one's taking the Chidambaram route to Kumbakonam, please note that on the stretch between Chidambaram & Sirgazhi a bye-pass is being constructed. The construction & the diversion away from the unfinished bye-pass is not clearly marked - one can easily get on to the bye-pass not realizing that its only half-finished (as I did !)

Last edited by im_srini : 20th July 2009 at 15:46.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:09   #28
BHPian

Guys...any news on the road condition and the construction update on the bridge pls?

I'm going to Kumbakonam this Friday and so contemplating between the following routes:

a) Chennai - tambaram- Tindivanam - Vikravandi - Panruti - Vadalur - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam

b) Sethiathope - use the tractor towing to cross the bridge

c) Use ECR and enter through Chidambaram

Please suggest best route. Will option A involve crossing the bridge again using the towing facility?

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2009, 17:12   #29
BHPian

Koolaruny,

I went to Kumbakonam a month back & they were letting cars to pass by anakarai bridge, which was earlier restricted. This being the case, you can opt for plan A.

In case if this does not work out, you might also try out the route below:
Chennai-Tambaram-Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti-Vadalur-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram-Sirkali-maayavaram-Kumbakonam

~Gops
Old 19th November 2009, 13:36   #30
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to goto Thanjavur tomorrow. I will be starting around 2-3 pm from Sholinganallur, Chennai. I have planned to take the following route. Please advice me on the road conditions, are they good/bad and also the time taken to reach tanjore in this route(I am a sedate driver and never cross 100 KMPH on highways)

Chennai-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Perambalur-Ariyalur-Tanjavur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks