Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 18:10   #16
BHPian

I was in Mysore last Dec and hence this gyaan . For a day's visit, here's how I think you can plan - I'll post few pics so it helps you decide.

As you plan to leave around 7am, you can straight drive into Mysore and hit the palace. Am not aware of the eateries on the way for breakfast, but am sure you'd know better. You can spend about 1.5hrs in the palace - its actually not so much of walking, so should be Ok. There are few camel and elephant rides that am sure your son will enjoy.

Help with Mysore trip-image006.jpg

You can then head to the other palace (sorry forgot its name) to see the paintings. Come out of the main palace and ask one of the horse ride-walas for directions. You can infact take one of these and go the other palace, see it and have lunch as there are many restaurents in the vicinity.

Post lunch you can head to the Rail Museum for a short 30-45 mins break. Its near to the Railway station and people/sign boards can guide you.

Help with Mysore trip-rail-museum.jpg
Help with Mysore trip-rscn2366.jpg
Help with Mysore trip-rscn2365.jpg

You can then head to the zoo (don't forget the zoo cart - I regret not taking it as we attempted to walk and could hardly cover 1km of the total 3kms), spend an hr or so there.

Head back to Bangalore and visit Ranganathittu on the way - there are enough boards (those yellow Karnataka tourism boards) for directions. Spend 30-45 mins, take a boat ride and relax.

Help with Mysore trip-rthittu.jpg
Help with Mysore trip-rthitu-croc.jpg

If you can squeeze in time and have the need to visit a temple, stop at Srirangapatna, otherwise head back home!

Driving within Mysore should not be a problem as there are plenty of boards and everything is within a 5km radius
Old 18th February 2010, 19:21   #17
BHPian

Here is a foodlog of what to eat and where to eat in Mysore
Mysore Food Guide
Ranganathittu is a Birders Paradise, now is the season, you can catch up lots of birds, i guess you need to be here early if you intend to take some serious Photographs.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

For a one line Food summary:
Mysore Masala Dosa @ Dasa Prakash Paradise dot com
Old 19th February 2010, 12:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks All,

First i shall visit Ranganaithittu to escape the sun (but how early we'll get boats?) and Evening in Mysore palace confirmed (so before leaving, we could see the palace with lights turned on)!!!

Confusion is on what best to accomodate between 10AM till 4PM, without travelling much. Is Mysore Zoo worth visiting (compared to our Bannarghetta National Park)? Where exactly is this rail Museum?

Last edited by jacs : 19th February 2010 at 12:19.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Mysore zoo is definitely worth a visit. Much bigger, more animals and well organized. In fact they also have a battery operated car, which carries people and shows them around.

The rail museum is on the KRS road. Max of 4-5 Km (I guess its not even that far) from the the railway station.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks All,

First i shall visit Ranganaithittu to escape the sun (but how early we'll get boats?) and Evening in Mysore palace confirmed (so before leaving, we could see the palace with lights turned on)!!!

Confusion is on what best to accomodate between 10AM till 4PM, without travelling much. Is Mysore Zoo worth visiting (compared to our Bannarghetta National Park)? Where exactly is this rail Museum?
For photographers (you have to pay Rs 250 for half hour and 500 for full hour), 6:30 am
For normal cycle, 8:30 am
Old 19th February 2010, 17:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

I'm not a hardcore photographer, so 8:30 would be fine . BTW 500 bucks is per head or per boat? Let me plan to Visit Mysore Zoo and Rail Museum ( i love to see old locomotives ) and offcourse some local eatouts. Shall keep you posted after the trip. Thanks.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not a hardcore photographer, so 8:30 would be fine . BTW 500 bucks is per head or per boat? Let me plan to Visit Mysore Zoo and Rail Museum ( i love to see old locomotives ) and offcourse some local eatouts. Shall keep you posted after the trip. Thanks.
No its for the boat

yea don't forget to try Gayathri Tiffin Rooms for a snack and Kamat Madhuvan for a perfect North Karnataka meal
Old 20th February 2010, 17:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
No its for the boat

yea don't forget to try Gayathri Tiffin Rooms for a snack and Kamat Madhuvan for a perfect North Karnataka meal
Nashemaan or Nishemaan ( Cant get the spelling right) is a must for Paya and Ghee rice. It servers hot food till later in night ( Last time, we went at 1.00 PM). Ritz is a must visit for Pork Chilly.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just returned from the trip! It was the shortest trip ever but ever memorable

Thanks everyone for the support. Shall give you the updates tomorrow and of course photos through a travelogue!
Old 21st February 2010, 09:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, just returned from the trip! It was the shortest trip ever but ever memorable

Thanks everyone for the support. Shall give you the updates tomorrow and of course photos through a travelogue!
Hi All,

Trip was from 6AM till 8PM, covered only 3 places in the 14 hour trip. Ranganaithittu, Mysore Zoo and Mysore Palace but we spent quality time everywhere.

Travel time : 2.2 hours onward being early morning and 3 hours on return since traffic was more.
Total Distance traveled : 332KMs

Ranganaithittu Bird Sanctuary (Spotted various species of cranes, pelicans, ducks, kingfishers, sparrows, crocodiles, monkeys etc
Entry Pass : Rs25 per adult, Rs30 per Car/Jeep (no additional pass for Camera)
Boating : Rs500 for an hour trip (independent boat)
Distance from Bangalore : Less than 140KM
Rating : 10/10
Remarks : Superb, observed no cons

Mysore Zoo (Varieties of Birds, Animals and reptiles including rare Water elephants, Gorillas etc)
Entry Pass: Rs30 per adult, Rs10 for still camera, Rs10 for Car parking
Carriage Trip: Rs60 per adult (its worth the money, can see everything without walking and which helped my inlaws and they do explain things)
Distance from Bangalore : Less than 150KM
Rating : 7/10
Remarks : Well organized, cons are like very crowded on holidays

Mysore Palace (showcases the heritage of Mysore kingdom)
Entry Pass: Rs20 per adult, Rs10 for car parking (No Camera and footwear allowed inside, should keep in locker and baggage can is compulsory)
Distance from Bangalore : Less than 150KM
Rating : 9/10
Remarks : Magnificent, cons are huge crowd due to tight security - not a photographers place and footwear locker is a mess

Since we carried breakfast, only lunch was a concern apart from knik knacks. We had our lunch from Embassy (adjacent old Maharaja Hotel on the way to Railway station/Bangalore return from Palace road). They served good food (we ordered Chinese non veg) and I sipped a gulp of drought (not as good as in BLR). The ambience is good (No AC, but its a kind of open door with open roof and all) and quite affordable too. A heavy lunch for four with soft drinks and the drought beer costed 6xx odd.

Ranganaithittu is a must go now being the season of migratory birds, you could not imagine how many are there. Shall post the Travelogue soon.

Last edited by jacs : 21st February 2010 at 10:00.
Old 9th March 2010, 14:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranganaithittu is a must go now being the season of migratory birds, you could not imagine how many are there. Shall post the Travelogue soon.
Dear All,

Started the travelogue as promised.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tu-mysore.html
Old 7th April 2010, 03:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Hi t-bhpians,

I am planning 2 Nights/3 Days in a resort nearby Mysore and the places to visit will be likely zoo, brindavan garden, Chamundi Hills, Mysore Palace.
I would like to spend some time in the resort as well.
I looked up the net and found Young Island Resort to be affordable with good surroundings though I haven't seen/visited this place before.
Please voice your valuable opinions and also clarify the following concerns:
1. Quality of the food(Veg) in Young Island
2. Security in Young Island
3. Good hotels in Mysore while visiting zoo, brindavan garden, Chamundi Hills, Mysore Palace
3. This place is 12Kms from Mysore. Is it a good idea to commute to Mysore and back everytime when we want to visit Mysore?

Find below the list of resorts collected from the net of which I found WindFlower good but expensive.
Young Island
#17/A, 17/B, Bommur Agrahara
Srirangapatna Taluk
Mandya District

White Orchid Resorts
Mysore - Bangalore High Way Road
176, Kalasthavadi, 6 Kms from Mysore City, Mysore - 570 003.

Thanks in advance,
Girish
Just came across this tread. Small info from my side.

NOTE: This is a LODGE and not a resort.

HOTEL AYODHYA (Next to Suburban bus stand, Blr- ooty main road, Mysore)

And

HOTEL AJANTHA PALACE (Near to suburban bus stand, Blr- ooty main road, Mysore)
  • Both the Lodges are in the center of Mysore city.
  • Around 100 Rooms with AC/NON AC, Bath tub facilities is there.
Usually the rate depends from season to season. But I can get nearly 250-300Rs/Room discount.

I can arrange for free breakfast/dinner if it’s a bulk booking only.

If anyone is interested PM me.

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 7th April 2010 at 03:10.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip from Chennai-Mysore with a halt at Hosur. Pls guide me if this is the best route to take. Chennai-Hosur will be via NH4 & NH46, so no issues. Housr-Mysore is my question.
Hosur-Kanakapura-Halaguru(NH209)-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore
OR
Hosur-Bangalore-Mysore super highway?

Car-WagonR
Passengers - Me, Wifey, Cousins 16 & 14, my Son 2.5 & infant Daughter.
We don't really intend to get into Bangalore & strongly avoid Bangalore Traffic
Planned time - 04:00 leave from Chennai, 10:00 leave from Hosur

Pls suggest. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Take the regular NH7 to Electronic City, hop on to NICE road and then take the Mysore road.
Much easier to drive.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2010 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks