Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 20:05   #331
BANNED

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries

Thank you @Aviator_guy.

So my dilemma right now is :
A : Bangalore - NH44 - dindigul bypass - batlagundu - south to north kodai ghat
B : Bangalore - NH44 - vedasandur - oddachantram bypass - palani ring road bypass - north to south kodai ghat

Which of these offers :
1) better road surface
2) lesser traffic, hence less chance to get stuck
Old 28th September 2022, 20:58   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Palani route will definitely have lesser traffic. Batalagundu is the prime route. Am not aware of current Palani-Kodai route condition though. However rather than going via Vedasandur-Vadamadurai-Oddanchatram, take the Aravakurichi-Kannivadi-Dharapuram-Palani route. The disadvantage I see is, you will land inside Palani town not on the bypass. This is much more peaceful than doing Dindigul-Oddanchatram-Palani which is flooded with traffic.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:20   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Thank you @Aviator_guy.

So my dilemma right now is :
A : Bangalore - NH44 - dindigul bypass - batlagundu - south to north kodai ghat
B : Bangalore - NH44 - vedasandur - oddachantram bypass - palani ring road bypass - north to south kodai ghat

Which of these offers :
1) better road surface
I took this route for both onwards and return journey last week. Road condition is excellent and did not get stuck in traffic. As I mentioend, they are doing some road work at a few places but traffic was not disrupted much. Just before entering the Kodai ghat road, there are many petrol pumps and eateries as well.
Old 8th March 2023, 19:48   #334

Last week I drove from Bangalore to Kodaikanal via this route -
Bangalore (Whitefield) - Salem - Dindigul - Bathlagundu - Kodaikanal.
Returned via same route. Road condition is excellent throughout. Few diversions but good quality road sideways. Drive time - 7.5 hours + 1 hour of breaks. Overall a comfortable journey.
rg12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 15:50   #335
BHPian

Travelled Bangalore to Munnar via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu last week. We started from Bangalore at 3.15 AM and reached Munnar around 1:00 PM - this was after total break timings of 1 Hour 15 mins. Total drive time of 8.5 Hours.

Return journey, started around 8.40 AM and reached Bangalore 6.40 PM, with breaks of approximately 1 Hour. We had to take a detour at Theni, as road was blocked due to some protest. This added 15 mins to our journey time.

Some details shared at the following post on other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
I travelled BLR (Whitefield) to Munnar 22 - 25 Mar with family and took the same route both sides....(cont.)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5522128 (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries)
Old 17th April 2023, 15:58   #336
BHPian

We are travelling to Kodaikanal coming Thursday. Plan to leave by 5 am and have breakfast around Salem.
We want to have our lunch at least an hour before the ghat section starts (for our kids comfort). There are quite a few near the highway exit at Kodai Forest Bus-stop but thats a bit late. Can anyone suggest a good, clean place around Dindigul on the highway itself (don't want to deviate).

Also, while returning, am wondering if we can take the alternative route being shown on G-maps via Palani and Erode. Will it be narrow and slow (We had a very frustrating drive via Palladam, Udumalaipettai while going to Munnar last year)?
Old 21st May 2023, 22:46   #337
BHPian

Planning a trip from Bangalore (Whitefield) to Kodaikanal (Xanadu resort) the coming week. Couldn't find much info on recommended refreshment stopover points en-route in this thread. Anyone who has documented the same, please share your quality recommendations - it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd May 2023, 04:43   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
Planning a trip from Bangalore (Whitefield) to Kodaikanal (Xanadu resort) the coming week. Couldn't find much info on recommended refreshment stopover points en-route in this thread. Anyone who has documented the same, please share your quality recommendations - it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

If you take BLR - Salem - Dindigul - Batlagundu route, I have captured route and food stops in my short travelogues for Kodaikanal and Munnar. Route is common till Batlagundu. Links below:

Kodaikanal: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5494257 (Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review)

Munnar: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...diary-2-a.html (Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2)
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 08:20   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For the route, take the Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimetu-Munnar route. Fantastic road conditions.

On rest stops. Till Salem, as you probably know, plenty of options. Salem-Dindigul good options are not many. An A2B, I believe is there on the Dindigul bypass.

Once past Dindigul, the best and only place to stop is the "Temple City Restaurant" just before the Kodai turn off. Large place, good food and a bunch of other small shops. After this there is pretty much nothing till you get closer to Munnar.

Link: Hotel Temple City
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 14:46   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
If you take BLR - Salem - Dindigul - Batlagundu route, I have captured route and food stops
Thank you.
Though apart from "Grand Estancia" and "a small coffee shop outside Kumbakonam Degree college" I couldn't identify any other stop suggestion in your beautiful blog, especially in the challenging stretch post Salem towards Kodai.
Old 24th May 2023, 15:36   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.
Though apart from "Grand Estancia" and "a small coffee shop outside Kumbakonam Degree college" I couldn't identify any other stop suggestion in your beautiful blog, especially in the challenging stretch post Salem towards Kodai.
In the Munnar thread, you will find a reference to A2B Dindigul bypass - which for me is perfect before beginning climb allowing food to settle down. Since this is a KM further ahead I’ve provided Google marker as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post5523905 (Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2)
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:48   #342
BHPian

Planning a trip to Kodai. It is approximately 450 km from my home.

While coming back, we want to break the journey into two parts and spend half a day sight-seeing if possible? Is there any place around 200-250 km from Kodai where we can do some sight seeing and stay for the night?

I did some google search and found Shivanasamudra falls as one interesting option. But that seems too far from the midpoint.
Old 29th May 2023, 13:11   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

While coming back, we want to break the journey into two parts and spend half a day sight-seeing if possible? Is there any place around 200-250 km from Kodai where we can do some sight seeing and stay for the night?

I did some google search and found Shivanasamudra falls as one interesting option. But that seems too far from the midpoint.
Cannot think of any place worthwhile to stop. There is nothing really once you get down the ghats on the Bangalore Route via Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.

If you come down via Palani, then you get to Bangalore via Avinashi-Salem. Here there is a possibility to go via Bhavani-Erode-Mettur and join back at Thoppur. Some places like the Bhavani Sagar Dam/Mettur Dam etc. But in my view not worth it at this time.

Not sure how Shivanasamudra came in your route. Only way that happens is if you take a long detour (time wise) and return via Palani-Gobi-Dimbam-Chamrajnagar-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore. If you have the time for that, may as well come via Mysore and spend some time there.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:17   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

One option with little detour - Hogenakkal falls. You can make an overnight stop in Erode/Salem/ Dharmapuri depending on your plan.

I planned this way last time I visited. Kodai (depart in afternoon) -> Salem (overnight stay) -> Hogenakkal falls (half day) - > Return to Blr via Dharmapuri as I was more comfortable with this route.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 29th May 2023 at 13:30.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 14:16   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not sure how Shivanasamudra came in your route. Only way that happens is if you take a long detour (time wise) and return via Palani-Gobi-Dimbam-Chamrajnagar-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore.
Thanks Rajeev. You are correct, that was one of the routes Google was showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
One option with little detour - Hogenakkal falls. You can make an overnight stop in Erode/Salem/ Dharmapuri depending on your plan.
Thanks, will check this option.

If nothing worthwhile materializes, might end up taking the bus and saving a day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks