Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 10:48   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Yes, I agree with that! How about road conditions? Anything to worry about?

Starting from Kolhapur, I am planning to break the journey at Bangalore or Hosur, any suggestions?
You get 4-lane all the way Kolhapur to Kanyakumari. There are some traffic prone sections like Tumkur-Bangalore or Bangalore-Krishnagiri which you can manage smartly. That apart roads are all good!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:50   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post

Thanks once again to all, I will share the feedback on Shanthi Inn.
Hi Bobby, how did you find this hotel? I am also thinking of doing a break journey to Kodai. Travelling with 2 kids .
Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 17:17   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
Hi Bobby, how did you find this hotel? I am also thinking of doing a break journey to Kodai. Travelling with 2 kids .
Thanks
Overall experience was good

It is 5 minutes detour from the Salem Kodai main road and is easy to located using Google maps. Parking is available and check-in was smooth. Rooms and toilets are big and clean.

They have a restaurant running from 8 am to 10 pm, but we didn’t get a chance to try the food out there.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:55   #304
BHPian

Planning to drive towards Batlagundu to visit a known acquaintance this weekend with extended family. Although intention is to carry food and stop only for bio breaks along the way, alternately, thinking whether it is feasible to stop for food as well just to reduce the stress on ladies to cook something and also start early.

Would like get some inputs from fellow members who have travelled this route recently for planning few pitstops -

1. Stop at Krishna Inn or A2B near Shoolagiri - Since it is a weekend, it will be crowded for sure. But how is the crowd control and safe distancing measures, hygiene conditions etc for breakfast here ?

2. Stop at Salem for a break - Generally we find Salem stop too early for lunch, any good hygienic place for restrooms along the highway?

3. Lunch option midway between Salem and Dindigul - Options were less earlier too on this stretch for a pure veg lunch. Given the current situation, any recommendation for lunch, even with a slight deviation from highway?

Any other recommendation for pitstops are also welcome !

Last edited by mankuthimma : 15th October 2020 at 09:58.
Old 18th October 2020, 11:28   #305
BHPian

Yesterday we did our trip to Vattalagundu using the usual route. Here is an update on the current situation if it may be of help to others -

Prior to the trip, had applied for TN e-pass to be on the safer side since had heard the checking might be random. Also saw the same approach with other cars bound to TN. And regarding food, we thought lets take a chance eating out on the way by cautiously choosing the places that may be less crowded. Had equipped ourselves with all types of disinfectants - sprays, wipes, sanitisers etc

Being a weekend of navarathri holidays and late start by 7 AM, we expected crowded tolls and restuarants, but just got plain lucky I guess, overall it was a pleasant relaxed drive.

Crossing Attibele toll was surprisingly smooth. There was no checking of epass at the Hosur checkpost. TN police were just waving off all the cars/trucks at the border. But the myriad barricades could cause a congestion on a busy day.

For breakfast, had planned to stop at Adith Bhavan which comes first since it is comparatively less crowded and a decent place in the past, but it was closed. We thought we will check out Krishna Inn. Even though the parking lot was full of cars, but the crowd inside Krishna Inn was much less than expected, all together just 8-10 families. They had arranged outside seating area too ( later noticed that Saravana Bhavan or A2B had no outside seating ) and also it seemed like that they had increased the spacing between tables inside. Overall we were satisfied with covid safety measures and crowd control and breakfast as usual was lipsmacking.

Traffic thinned out after diversion to Chennai at Krishnagiri where it seemed like majority of the cars were headed too and it became even more sparse after crossing Salem. Overall, there were more KA cars than TN cars on the road all along. The road after Salem towards Dindigul and even the Kodiakanal highway had a fresh tarmac all along. There were road works happening at later part of Thoppur ghats and traffic was allowed on only lane, but didnt hinder the traffic flow. Looks like TN govt made good use of lockdown time upgrading roads unlike the fate of Bengaluru roads during the same time.

Since we were making good time, skipped our planned stopover for lunch going into Karur town and proceeded further to checkout few google suggested stops on the highway. Valluvar restuarant had closed, Stopped at this place called Anandas restuarant. It is on the right side, but there is a U turn right in front of the place, We were the only guests at 12.30 PM. Clean restrooms, cheap and best veg meals that one would expect in TN interior areas. So no worries for a safe stopover between Karur and Dindigul.

Vattalagundu is its usual self, busy and crowded with no signs of pandemic situation. Only saving grace are few knowledgable people wearing masks. But there is surprising amount of construction going on for cafes, restuarants, petrol bunks by the road side, probably expecting a tourism boost from lockdown frustrated crowd.

There is a strict check for ePass esp for non TN vehicles at the first checkpost itself on the Kodai Ghat road. Our final destination was not Kodaikanal, hence we didnt apply for it. May be we will apply for it if we decide to go there during our stay here.
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:00   #306
BHPian

Went for a drive today to Kodaikanal. Had applied for separate ePass. The message said application needs to be approved by District Collector, Dindigul. But the approval came in 15 mins.

There is a strict checking of ePass at 3 places, both for TN and more so for non-TN vehicles - at the entry of Kodai Ghat road, at the entry of Kodaikanal town limits and at the Kodai entrance fee collection booth before Silver Cascade falls.
Here they insisted us for taking Covid tests since we are non-TN people which they claimed it is compulsory for outsiders entering Kodai to take tests. But we somehow convinced them saying we had already entered TN few days back and got exemption from tests.
The ePass checking is just for namesake, no entries were made or no tracking or no quarantine period as mentioned in the ePass.

Kodaikanal resembled a ghost town with absolutely no tourist frenzy ! It is at its best - calm and serene. All restuarants and shops were open.
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:39   #307
BHPian

Bumping an old thread, me and my wife are planning to visit Kodaikanal from Bangalore on coming Friday (25th - 27th December weekend). Though I enquired with the homestay where we'll be lodging and taken the e-pass pre-hand. Just wanted to know from a recent experience, if we still require to take the covid test while entering the Kodai ghats or not. The homestay owner did not mention any such thing but did ask us to get the TN state e-pass.
The route which we plan to take is from Bangalore to Kodaikanal via Dindigul, Batlagundu, Poolathur.
Old 27th December 2020, 11:27   #308
BHPian

I went to Kodaikanal two months ago and here is my experience.

You need an ePass, which will be checked once at the Checkpost just before the Ghat Road starts. Then there is one more Checkpost near the Tollgate near Silver cascade about 5kms before Kodai town. On long weekends, there could be a long queue here - people have reported waiting for two hours or more. Expect delays here, especially in the forenoon.

We reached at 5.30 pm and there were only two cars before us. Here, the official asked us to make an entry in a register and fill up a form. It took just five minutes. There was no Covid test.

There is no rule saying that you have to get tested before you enter Kodaikanal, but it looks like the health officials there are making some money on the side by asking some people to undergo the test. Locals told us that they have heard of a scam - an agent at the testing site calls you aside and asks you to pay 5000 rupees or more (depending on number of people) or they will give a Covid Positive report!

I dont know whether this is still happening, but please be aware of this Scam. In case they ask you to undergo a test, don't agree and tell them there is no such rule.

Have a good trip!
Old 14th March 2022, 14:07   #309
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this old thread. Planning for a Pune - Kodaikanal trip this month. My plan is to halt somewhere near Hosur at the end of day 1.

Questions:
  1. What would be a good place to halt at Hosur or nreaby for me and family for the night? Need to have good and secure parking.
  2. What is the best route from Hosur to Kodaikanal?
  3. Any recommendations for a good place at Kodaikanal for the stay. Need a place with good parking facilities.
  4. Are there any current Covid restrictions (entry pass etc.) for entry into KA (MH->KA) and into TN (KA->TN)? My guess is that there are no such restrictions now.
Old 14th March 2022, 19:18   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

What would be a good place to halt at Hosur or nreaby for me and family for the night? Need to have good and secure parking.
Claresta is a good place on the left side. There is ASR Parklane and TGI Grand Fortuna both on the other side of the road.
Quote:
What is the best route from Hosur to Kodaikanal?
The standard route through Dindigul-Batlagundu is good. GMaps should guide you. The only thing to watch our for is just after you get down the 90degree right turn flyover as soon as you enter Dindigul, you would have to get on to the service road although your exit to Kodai is a couple of bridges away.
Quote:
Any recommendations for a good place at Kodaikanal for the stay. Need a place with good parking facilities.
Depends on your budget - Hotel Kodai International is a good old hotel with good parking. There are plenty of other options according to your budget and preference. If you have zeroed in on some options, I can help filter them.
Quote:
Are there any current Covid restrictions (entry pass etc.) for entry into KA (MH->KA) and into TN (KA->TN)? My guess is that there are no such restrictions now.
None. But all eligible individuals would need to carry their proof of vaccination.

Last edited by luvurride : 14th March 2022 at 19:23.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:21   #311
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Planning a family trip to Kodai from Bangalore , in May. Need a few guidelines to ensue we avoid any recent pitfalls.Starting at 5.00 Am from Bangalore.

1. Assume the usual route of Blr-Salem-Dindigul-Betlagundu-Kodai is the best option ?
2. Will need a pit stop for b/fast between Hosur and Krishnagiri ( since we will pass Hosur by 6.00.
3. ON the return , plan to stop a night with a friend in Pollachi (via Palani) . How good is the Kodai-Palani route ?
4. WHich will be the most convenient return route from Pollachi to Bangalore (would like to avoid Tiruppur, unless there is a bypass) .

Woudl be grateful for any feedback .

Regards,
Old 19th April 2022, 11:42   #312
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Planning a family trip to Kodai from Bangalore , in May. Need a few guidelines to ensue we avoid any recent pitfalls.Starting at 5.00 Am from Bangalore.
I'm blissfully unaware of current road conditions, but here are some possible options:
1. Onward via Batlagundu (now the town has a bypass that joins the kodai road)

2. Breakfast stop - Murugan idly on th left before the Krishnagiri toll OR Sree Saravana Bhavan on the left after the Krishnagiri toll (there's a lake right opposite this place on the right side). Avoid the namesake (again on the left) that's about 200-300meters before this restaurant, that's why looking out for the lake as landmark will help

3. Not sure about current condition of Kodai-Palani

4. Return you can do Palani-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai and join NH 47, then regular route via Salem-Bangalore. Again, not sure about current condition.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:04   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

1. Assume the usual route of Blr-Salem-Dindigul-Betlagundu-Kodai is the best option ?
Yes. The route is in excellent shape.

Quote:
2. Will need a pit stop for b/fast between Hosur and Krishnagiri ( since we will pass Hosur by 6.00.
There are few options such as Saravana Bhawan, A2B and Murugan Idly. Most of these places are pretty crowded per my experience.

I prefer the A2B at Thoppur as it is relatively less crowded. However this place is on the other side of the road and one needs a ~1km u-turn detour to reach this.

For lunch, you can check out the new Thalapakatti outlet at Batlagundu. My in-laws had their lunch at that place 3 days and were happy with the cleanliness, service and taste. They were on their way to Kodaikanal.

Another option is Thalapakatti at Dindigul by-pass which is a decent option as well (I went in Oct 2021 last time).

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th April 2022 at 12:07.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 13:18   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

3. ON the return , plan to stop a night with a friend in Pollachi (via Palani) . How good is the Kodai-Palani route ?
4. WHich will be the most convenient return route from Pollachi to Bangalore (would like to avoid Tiruppur, unless there is a bypass) .

Woudl be grateful for any feedback .

Regards,
1. I returned Chennai from Kodaikanal through Vathalagundu and Dindukkal in first week of April and the road is smooth. For the last long weekend there was a quite bit of traffic jam at Kodai entry in the regular ghat road due to crowd. Please check last posts of Kodaikanal Travelogue (VW Polo - Kodaikanal edition - Unveiled) that shows an alternate ghat route to climb Kodai hills. I saw it too late and hence could not try that out.

2. Multiple options are available between Hosur to Krishnagiri or Thoppur A2B is also okay to have breakfast.

3. I did not go to Palani but the resort person told Palani road is also good just in case if I want to go there.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 14:33   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
3. I did not go to Palani but the resort person told Palani road is also good just in case if I want to go there.
From Madras, Palani route doesn't make sense since its a detour. But from Bangalore, one can either take Aravakurichi-Dharapuram or Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram and take the Palani route.

The leadup and ghat are relatively free than Vathalagundu route.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks