Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

I was planning a trip to Velankinni this weekend, could somebody give me thr route and also the road conditions.
Old 25th January 2008, 07:41   #2
BHPian

Prashanth,
Did you get any information about the route? I am also planning a trip around Feb-March time.
Old 25th January 2008, 19:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-tanjore-velankanni

Hai,

I think your best option is thro, Salem, Trichy, Tanjore, Nagapattinam and Velankanni.

If you search the Bangalore-Tanjore threads you'd get lots of inforamtion on the road conditions till Tanjore, from there Nagapattinam is about 90 KM and from there about 30 to Velankanni...... if you want accurate milage and timings, please see my logs of 12th to 15th, URL:

http://www.arkzsol.com/Abad-Tvm-Abad07.htm

Happy Traveling,

--Ramky
===============
Old 26th January 2008, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I was planning a trip to Velankinni this weekend, could somebody give me thr route and also the road conditions.
We did a trip to Velankanni few months back. It was a bus trip. Onward journey was via Pondichery and return via Trichy. We found the Pondichery route was much better than the Trichy one in terms of distance and road conditions.

Bangalore - Pondichery: Road conditions were pretty good.
Pondichery - Velankanni: Patches road were bad and narrow.

The Trichy route has to come via Salem-Dharmapuri, which is a strech to be avoided, if possible, these days.

Regards
Rex
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Folks, waking up this old thread.

My people are planning to do Bangalore- Velankanni in a few weeks. I am looking for a route which has best roads. We're doing this trip for the first time, so a bit detailed road directions are also welcome.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:10   #6
BHPian

The best and traffic free route would be Blr-Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai.At TVmalai, ask for Tirukkoilur , on to Banruti. At Banruti, ask directions for Sethyathoppu, on to Bhuvanagiri,Sirkali,Karaikkal,Nagapattinam and Velankanni.
Had done this route 2 months back and roads are excellent except the last 20 kms which goes through some village and roads are just enough for a car to go.But for this, all other roads are excellent.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Joe, its Panruti. You have to take a right to Sethiatoppu at the Panruti cross roads left goes to Chennai and straight goes to Cuddalore. Please note that on the way from Tirukoilur to Panruti you would have to cross the Chennai-Dindigul NH45. At the Jn. continue going straight ignore the left and right.

But you could also explore doing Tiruvannamalai - Pondicherry - Karikal - Velankanni. Its certainly longer but better roads upto Pondicherry.

Cheers

Srikanth
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Getting into and out of Pondicherry is a hassle at times. So its much easier doing Thiruvanaamalai - Thirukoyilur - Panruti - Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal - Nagapattinam - Velankanni.

Panruti - Sethiathoppu road is not as good as Panruti - Cuddalore.

However Sirkazhi - Karaikal road is almost a single lane and you might get into trouble overtaking on that road.

You could do Sirkazhi - Mayiladuthurai - Karaikal as well. Though this is a little roundabout the road is better than the single lane.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

jocherian, pypkmsrikanth, csentil- Thanks a lot!!!
Old 29th October 2008, 15:30   #10
BHPian

Just wanted to let the folks know who is searching for Bangalore to Velankanni .
I had recently completed this blr-velankanni .The route i took is

Blr-Krishnagiri-salem-nammakkal-musri

From musri there are 2 ways to go to trichy.

From trichy go towards tanjore .I had my stay in tanjore @ hotel gnanam .The hotel is good .decent and pretty neat .I intitally went to oreiental towers , this hotel is rusty and pretty old .I felt like this was once a upon a time a good hotel may be in the mid 80's or 90's .

I stayed in tanjore and the next day went to velankanni .The drive from tanjore to velankanni is around 1.5 to 2 hours .

Hope this will be heloful for folks planning to go to velankani
Old 14th January 2009, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Velankani- Nagapatinam (10)-Tanjore (90)-Trichy (65)-Murshiri(40)-Namakal (46)-Salem (59)-Yercaud(20) - Total Kms-330 kms (pikced from Ramkya1 logs)

How is the road condition and approximatly how long it would take to cover this distance? If routes are bad any alternative routes?

HVK: How is this option of CHN-VLK-YER-CHN? As suggested dropped Rameshwaram?

Last edited by Surprise : 14th January 2009 at 10:23.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good idea, except that the Namakkal-Salem road is being widened.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even the road from Tanjore to Trichy is being widened. Highly irritating driving on it. It takes almost 2 hrs at times to do this section !! I also think Trichy towards Namakkal is also being 4 laned.

Namakkal - Salem road is pretty bad with the widening going on as mentioned by hvkumar.

If you don't mind a little roundabout you could backpaddle towards Cuddalore and then Panruti - Thirukoyilur - Thiruvanamalai - Uthangarai - Salem - Yercaurd.

or Velankanni -Thiruvarur - Kumbakonam - Sethiathopu - Panruti and then onwards to Thiruvanamalai - Uthangarai.

Actually the other shorter route is Velankanni - Thiruvarur - Kumbakonam - Virudachalam and then go left towards Attur - Narasingapuram - Ayodhyapattinam - Salem. However I'm not sure of the route on this.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:24   #14

Folks : I m planning a trip Bangalore to Velankanni, I m ok with a longer route if it means reaching faster. I m looking for help with the latest update on the fastest route from Bangalore to Velankanni. Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 20:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

The better route is still the same:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Thiruvanammalai - Thirukoyilur - Panruti.

From Panruti its either of these two routes.

-> Sethiathopu - Kumbakonam - Thiruvarur - Velankanni

-> Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal - Nagapattinam - Velankanni.

I did the second one as the roads were in better condition in this route. Sethiathopu road was not that great when we enquired in Panruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks