Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 15:55   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
When I checked roads between Mannargudi to Velankanni, Gmaps shows a detour which skips Thiruthurai poondi.

Any idea about such a bypass road? Is it recommended?
It takes the detour at Vadivaikal and joins back on Thiruthurai poondi to velankanni route at Alangudi bus stop.

Adding a screenshot from maps here for reference
It is a local road beside a canal all the way from that detour to the ECR. I followed Gmaps and took that road last year and it was a well paved and scenic road, but it is narrow with few tractors and two wheelers on it. If there is a block for whatever reason, it will be a difficult to turn around too. Best to take the route via Thiruthuraipoondi which is faster.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 16:03   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is a local road beside a canal all the way from that detour to the ECR. I followed Gmaps and took that road last year and it was a well paved and scenic road, but it is narrow with few tractors and two wheelers on it. If there is a block for whatever reason, it will be a difficult to turn around too. Best to take the route via Thiruthuraipoondi which is faster.
Thanks for that
Old 13th April 2023, 14:31   #318
BHPian

Recently did Kottayam to Velankanni and back with a detour to Kodaikanal.
The best part of the trip I liked was the bypass roads constructed all the way from Gudalur to Dindigul. You don't have to enter any of the towns between Kumily and Dindigul.

Gudalur, Cumbum, Uthamapalyam, Chinnamanur, Periyakulam, Theni, Batlagundu, all had new bypass roads which brought down the entire travel hours by atleast 1 hour which is tremendous advantage for all traveling in Kumily Dindigul route. Even if the entire route is just a normal double-lane road its wide enough and can easily traverse at good speeds. The only thing you must take care of is the barricades you have to face every now and then. So, you will have a slowdown in every 5-10kms for sure.

Dindigul bypass to Trichy bypass was smooth but the scorching sun will tire you soon. Full-speed AC also cannot defeat the power of the sun while on TN roads this summer. The same is the case in Kerala too.
Before reaching Trichy got on a detour as suggested by Google Maps and got on Tanjavur road and again as Maps told we got on Mannargudi road without getting inside Tanjavur. Mannargudi to Tiruthuraipoondi was slowest in the entire trip while going and coming back with at least 2 humps on every turn with lot of local traffic on the road. Post Mannargudi till Velankanni was still better. So overall the roads were really good expect for few small patches here and there.

While returning we went uphill to Kodaikanal and stayed there one night and the next day went till Poomparai and Mannavanur dutching the regular known spots in Kodai and then directly back hom via Kodai town

On a Thursday Early morning 4AM we started from home near Kottayam and took only 2 stops in between, one for fuelling and one for breakfast (after Dindigul around 8.30AM) and reached Velankanni by 1PM.
Took rest in the hotel near church and went to church and chappels by around 6.30PM and there was mass near the pond church in the evening. Then we visited all churches in the night itself to escape from sunny daytime. By night 9.30, we got back to hotel and next day morning again visited the main basilica after breakfast and by around 11AM we started our return journey aiming Kodaikanal and we reached Kodai by around 4.30PM and did a drive around the lake and then moved to the hotel.
Next day morning after breakfast we directly went to see Poombarai and Mannavanur. In Mannavanur there is Sheep and Goat farm which the kids liked very much. The entire route is scenic, relaxing, and refreshing. Reached back Kodai town by around 3PM during the return journey and reached home by around 8PM. Posting few en route photos
Vehicle used was a 2016 Innova Crysta.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.37.25-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.37.37-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.38.08-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.38.38-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.40.51-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230413-2.42.08-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Bibin : 13th April 2023 at 14:45.
Bibin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 12:53   #319

Hi Folks! This may be a longer post to this thread and maybe I'd end up making a new thread. I'll try to keep it as short as possible here.

I will be travelling from Mumbai to Velankanni with my Family in the second week of May. My ride will be a 2005 Toyota Innova 2.5 V Diesel 7 seater. The car's documents are cleared and in check. It is a well maintained car and has around 1,50,000 on the ODO currently, which is way less for a car of its age.

1. My Route from Mumbai to Velankanni will be as follows:
• Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Hubbali (Karnataka) - Banglore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Virudhachalam - Chidambaram - Karaikal - Velankanni

Google Map Link:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LbwqguXPMZDKqEB59

After a Two day stay at Velankanni, I will be travelling to Kodaikanal.

2. My Route from Velankanni to Kodaikanal is as under:
• Velankanni - Mannargudi - Vallam (Thanjavur) - Tiruchirapalli - Manapparai - Dindigul - Batlagundu - Kodaikanal

Google Map Link:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3YGrHR8BFxWxcqhC9

This is my first time traveling to Kodaikanal. Any suggestions on budget hotels or homestays in Kodaikanal? Recommended restaurants or places to visit? Do share. I will be travelling back to Mumbai after having spent two days at Kodaikanal.

3. My Route from Kodaikanal to Mumbai:
• Kodaikanal - Batlagundu - Dindigul - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bengaluru - Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai

Google Map Link:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/KnoPJpsYMKQkijN48

This will be my longest road trip so far. The farthest I have driven to is Goa from Mumbai. I would like to know any updates on these routes, if any. Also, whether it is safe to follow these routes shown by Google Maps without any issue. Since, this is my first time driving to Velankanni by road, Kodaikanal and back, any suggestions on routes, road conditions, things to keep in mind while driving, cops checking, any tips or suggestions, please do feel free to share.

Thanks!!
Old 26th April 2023, 10:39   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus12 View Post

Google Map Link:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LbwqguXPMZDKqEB59
This will be my longest road trip so far. The farthest I have driven to is Goa from Mumbai. I would like to know any updates on these routes, if any. Also, whether it is safe to follow these routes shown by Google Maps without any issue. Since, this is my first time driving to Velankanni by road, Kodaikanal and back, any suggestions on routes, road conditions, things to keep in mind while driving, cops checking, any tips or suggestions, please do feel free to share.
Your route seems good. But first things first - have your vehicle documents (including the FC and Pollution under control certificate) ready in hand with copies. You are crossing many states on the way.

You will be going through NH roads as well as small state highway roads. The state highway roads like the one from Kallakurichi to Ullundurpet will be narrow and you might face the oncoming traffic. Space out your journey to manageable chunks like around 500 km per day. I am speaking from my experience of travelling in south India for the last 40 years.
As for Kodaikanal , you are going at the peak of summer and so accommodation might be dicey.

Have a Nice and Safe Journey.

Quote:
Recently did Kottayam to Velankanni and back with a detour to Kodaikanal.
In Mannavanur there is Sheep and Goat farm which the kids liked very much. The entire route is scenic, relaxing, and refreshing.
Thank you Bibin for your crisp travelogue. About this Sheep farm, you can buy a sheep from there ? Do post more snaps on this trip.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:30   #321
BHPian

Quote:
The best part of the trip I liked was the bypass roads constructed all the way from Gudalur to Dindigul. You don't have to enter any of the towns between Kumily and Dindigul.
Useful info. Thanks for sharing the details.

There is a dedicated thread for Kottayam - Velankanni route, fyi, please.
Old 28th April 2023, 06:51   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Useful info. Thanks for sharing the details.

There is a dedicated thread for Kottayam - Velankanni route, fyi, please.
oh is it? I did not know that. Will post my experience there too, could you please share the link to it?
Old 28th April 2023, 13:06   #323
BHPian

Quote:
oh is it? I did not know that. Will post my experience there too, could you please share the link to it?
Here it is:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...queries-7.html (Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries)
Old 12th September 2023, 21:27   #324
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to drive from Bangalore to Tharangambadi this weekend. Using Tharangambadi as the base for hotel and will be driving to Vailankanni for a day visit.

Any route recommended from Bangalore to Tharangambadi and back?.

Any other tips for breakfast or lunch on the way are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 13th September 2023, 06:39   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Planning to drive from Bangalore to Tharangambadi this weekend. Using Tharangambadi as the base for hotel and will be driving to Vailankanni for a day visit.

Any route recommended from Bangalore to Tharangambadi and back?.

Any other tips for breakfast or lunch on the way are welcome.

Thanks.
I would say go via Mayavaram.

Salem-V Koot Road - Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam-Meensurutti-Anaikarai-Pompuhar Road (SH22) - Mayavaram bypass - Thirukadiyut - Tharangambadi. (Route Link)

Breakoptions: Till V Root Road you have plenty: Many till Salem and an A2B after Salem. Once past you dont get much.

Last edited by ampere : 13th September 2023 at 06:48.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 14:18   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say go via Mayavaram.

Salem-V Koot Road - Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam-Meensurutti-Anaikarai-Pompuhar Road (SH22) - Mayavaram bypass - Thirukadiyut - Tharangambadi. (Route Link)

Thanks a lot - default gmaps options says Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Kallakurichi - Chidambaram - Tharangambadi.

Seems to be slightly faster and lower in KMs. Any feedback on this route.
Old 13th September 2023, 15:44   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot - default gmaps options says Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Kallakurichi - Chidambaram - Tharangambadi.

All sections post Krishnagiri would be 2-lane and not much to eat after Krishnagiri. And you will need to get into Thiruvannamalai town. Else if the bypass is up you can take. But for 400+ km I would prefer the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 16:35   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had taken this route on the return from Velankanni in February this year. Although on a motorcycle, it is time consuming atleast till Thiruvanamalai. There are road widening works on the East Coast road and after that speeds will be low till Thiruvanamalai. Thiruvanamalai bypass is open, atleast from where I hit it.
The other route is the standard route via Salem-Namakkal-Trichy bypass - Mannarguddi-Velankanni which is longer and tiring compared the route suggested by ampere.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 19:10   #329
BHPian

Folks, any updates on the Bangalore Velankanni route? GMaps still shows Tiruvannamalai-Ulundurpet-Chidambaram-Nagapattinam. Is this still the best option? Though less distance wise, I am not sure of the time passing through smaller towns. I would prefer 4 lane roads as much as possible.

What is the status of the Trichy-Tanjore-Thiruvarur route? Its been in the works for ages now?
Old 28th October 2023, 20:00   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
What is the status of the Trichy-Tanjore-Thiruvarur route? Its been in the works for ages now?
I am realising this may be a better option. Given any route beyond Vridhachalam is under construction. I dont know if it's so bad that we need to alter the path.

But you can try Trichy-Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankani. It's about 40-50km more but I am guessing it may a cleaner route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks