Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:33   #301
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Thanks a lot @ampere both seems to show more Kms and time, would you still suggest it sir...
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:24   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Any recommendations in Vailankanni for shopping, things to do, nearby places.
Velankanni is a small village located a few km from Nagapattinum. It's only reason for fame is because of the Our Lady of Good Health, Velankanni Basilica. Unless you are a Roman Catholic, you will not have anything to do there. No shopping and no tourist spot out there.

If you are a devout Catholic, you can buy religious items - Rosary, Statues of Velankanni Madha, Silver offerings and holy water from the Madha Kulam (Velankanni Our Lady of Good Health well) from the Church's own stalls.

Stay can be expensive for such a tiny hamlet.
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:31   #303
BHPian

Thanks @prowler - Yes we have been there few times (always drove from Chennai), was hoping there were some secret places which we haven't discovered. Yes I agree the spiritual goodness in the churches are brilliant.
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:57   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Planning the trip from Bangalore to Vailankanni in the mid of next week.

Google maps is suggesting the usual Bangalore, Salem, Artur, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Vailankanni.

Hope this is the best route to take both ways?
Thanks a lot.
I would always try different routes that is not too circuitous, on my return journey. You can take the route shown in google maps. The roads after Chidambaram bye pass aren’t well paved on some sections. You will traverse through Karaikal town in this route and the roads are by and large straight.
Alternatively you can take Vridachalam outer- Kumbakonam-outer, Thiruvarur-outer, Nagapattinam-outer to reach Velankanni. I had been there in this route a month ago and although this route has lots of winding section, the roads are by and large in good condition. The winding roads has pros and cons, you will love it if you are a passionate driver while your family may find it difficult with fatigue setting in quickly.
Do remember that after Vriddachalam the roads in both the routes pass through lots of villages and hence you will have to encounter lots of speed breakers.
CArspeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:17   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot @ampere both seems to show more Kms and time, would you still suggest it sir...
Both show longer distance. But do note Vridhachalam to Chidambaram is broken. You would lose lot of time on that section. It all comes to same in spite of the additional distance.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 05:43   #306
BHPian

Thank you @ampere

Thinking of Bangalore, Krishnagiri, Salem, Nammakal, Trichy, Thanjavur and Nagapattinam (hope right)

One last q,
Thanjavur to Nagapattinam should we go via Manargudi (tolls) or via Thiruvarur (no tolls).
Old 10th October 2021, 11:39   #307
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs had a great drive to Velankanni and back.

Route taken Bangalore to Velankanni

East Bangalore - Sarjapur - Attibele - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni

Comments,
1- East Bangalore to Attibele - Road is in SUPER BAD condition, better to avoid when it rains.
2 - Attibele - Namakkal - Super roads, 4 way with medians
3 - Namakkal - Trichy - very pretty, scenic, good roads, 2 way no medians
4 - Trichy - Thanjavur - good roads. 4 way with medians
5 - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni - Small village roads, slow, road condition fine.

Route take Velankanni to Bangalore

Velankanni - Thruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - Thanjavur - Namakkal - Trichy - Salem - Hosur - Attibele - Sarjapur - Whitefield

Comments,
1- Attibele to East Bangalore - Road is in SUPER BAD condition, better to avoid when it rains.
2 - Attibele - Namakkal - Super roads, 4 way with medians
3 - Namakkal - Trichy - very pretty, scenic, good roads, 2 way no medians
4 - Trichy - Thanjavur - good roads. 4 way with medians
5 - Velankanni - Thruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - Thanjavur - Nice winding roads, road condition very good. Highly recommend this.

Recommendations for good eat outs

From Bangalore - Aasai Aasai Anandha Bhavan Delight - https://g.page/anandhabhavandelight?share

Returning Back - Sri Saravana Bhavan's Aasai Dosai -
https://goo.gl/maps/1Py4fVbdKDi2vZWCA

Overall great time...
monish_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:00   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni - Small village roads, slow, road condition fine.

I know road conditions can change because of rains in that area in the last 4 months. But, when you traveled, between Thanjavur and Nagapattinam, were there any roadworks?
I took that route was 3 years ago. I always avoid that section because it was always under roads works and 4 laning.
Google maps show close to 3 hours for just 94 kms between Thanjavur and Velankanni via Thiruvarur which makes me believe that 4 laning is still not complete or road conditions are not great.
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:11   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I know road conditions can change because of rains in that area in the last 4 months. But, when you traveled, between Thanjavur and Nagapattinam, were there any roadworks?
I took that route was 3 years ago. I always avoid that section because it was always under roads works and 4 laning.
Google maps show close to 3 hours for just 94 kms between Thanjavur and Velankanni via Thiruvarur which makes me believe that 4 laning is still not complete or road conditions are not great.
Highly recommend this "Velankanni - Thruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - Thanjavur - Namakkal - Trichy - Salem - Hosur - Attibele - Sarjapur - Whitefield" over this "East Bangalore - Sarjapur - Attibele - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni"

I believe the 3 hours for 94 kms might be due to the small village roads v/s roadworks - when I went there weren't road works but small constructions + paddy well spread on the roads ...and if you are stuck behind a slow vehicle it can be a while before you get an opportunity to overtake. Safe travels.
monish_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 16:43   #310
BHPian

Drove to Velankanni and back from Bangalore last weekend 19/20 August. Took the route suggested by Google -

Route from Bangalore to Velankanni

Bangalore (Whitefield) - Attibele - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Virudhachalam - Chidambaram - Karaikal - Nagapattinam - Velankanni

Started Bangalore at 5:30 AM and was at Velankanni at 2:30 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/bRnqGKczz8Q9MznM8

Roads are in good shape all the way to Bhuvanagiri. Chidambaram bypass in under construction and the roads could be pretty bad.

Took the same route on the way back with a pit stop at Tranquebar (Tharangambadi). Took longer on the way back due to traffic.
anugrahlall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 10:52   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Highly recommend this "Velankanni - Thruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - Thanjavur - Namakkal - Trichy - Salem - Hosur - Attibele - Sarjapur - Whitefield" over this "East Bangalore - Sarjapur - Attibele - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankannii
Travelled back from Velankanni to Bangalore on 28th Dec. Agree with you. Many people suggested to take Thanjavur - Trichy - Namakkal - Salem route over Kumbakonam - Virudhachalam - Salem roue.

Had to visit Nagore Dargah and couple of Temples between Nagapattinam & Thiruvarur. So I took Thiruvarur - Thanjavur - Trichy … route. A few KMs after Thiruvarur the road via Needamangalam is real bad. Potholes are big even for buses. Roads are being relaid, some patches have just dust & gravel. Took 2 hours for this Thiruvarur - Thanjavur 61 km stretch. Then again got stuck in heavy traffic of Chennai 4 track in Trichy city (5km) for 25 minutes .

If one has to go through Thiruvarur, I guess Thiruvarur - Kumbakonam - Virudhachalam - Salem would be better. Kumbakonam-Virudhachalam is part of Kumbakonam - Chennai route which.is well traveled route . It then joins another well traveled Salem - Chennai route midway.
viggienomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:58   #312
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone done the Thanjavur to Nagapattinam route via Thiruvarur recently?
Are there road works and is going via Manarguddi the better option? Or coming down via ECR from Chidambaram?
I am traveling from Bangalore and although I visit Velankanni every year, it has been a while since I took the Thanjavur to Nagapattinam direct route because of the never-ending roadworks.

Last edited by tharian : 1st March 2023 at 11:24.
Old 6th March 2023, 19:11   #313
Senior - BHPian

Rode to Velenkanni and back over the weekend. Onward journey was Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Kannanur-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur bypass-Mannarguddi-Thirutharaipoondi-Velankanni. Except for culvert work on the stretch betwen Thanjavur bypass and Mannarguddi, rest of the route is good.

Return was Velankanni- Karaikal- Srikazhi bypass-Chidambaram bypass- Virudhachalam- Ulundurpet bypass- Thiyagadurgam - Thiruvanamalai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.
The ECR has road works all the way from Nagapattinam to Chidambaram. The roads after that all the way back are good.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:59   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ECR has road works all the way from Nagapattinam to Chidambaram. The roads after that all the way back are good.
Good to hear that roads from Chidambaram to Vridhachalam is good.
Old 27th March 2023, 14:15   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Rode to Velenkanni and back over the weekend. Onward journey was Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Kannanur-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur bypass-Mannarguddi-Thirutharaipoondi-Velankanni. Except for culvert work on the stretch betwen Thanjavur bypass and Mannarguddi, rest of the route is good.

Return was Velankanni- Karaikal- Srikazhi bypass-Chidambaram bypass- Virudhachalam- Ulundurpet bypass- Thiyagadurgam - Thiruvanamalai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.
When I checked roads between Mannargudi to Velankanni, Gmaps shows a detour which skips Thiruthurai poondi.

Any idea about such a bypass road? Is it recommended?
It takes the detour at Vadivaikal and joins back on Thiruthurai poondi to velankanni route at Alangudi bus stop.

Adding a screenshot from maps here for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-screenshot_20230327141336.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks