Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 19:04   #181
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Thanks Ampere and Ravi!!

Ampere - can you please share the google maps of the thuraiyur road which i have to take? I have been through thuraiyur, Trichy & thanjavur many times in my past till 2009 . Thats when i graduated. I studied in SASTRA university. Now i forgot all these places and not able to recollect it :( Kind of nostalgia trip for me

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th July 2016, 19:35   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Ampere and Ravi!!

Ampere - can you please share the google maps of the thuraiyur road which i have to take? I have been through thuraiyur, Trichy & thanjavur many times in my past till 2009 . Thats when i graduated. I studied in SASTRA university. Now i forgot all these places and not able to recollect it :( Kind of nostalgia trip for me

Thanks in advance!
If you have studied in Vallam sastra university, obviously you will recollect a lot of things

This google maps link will help you completely.

https://goo.gl/maps/XkKju4HRb3A2

Note that you don't have to drive till Thuraiyur town as you can exit at Kannanur and join at Pagalavadi.

Budget for total 10 hours trip. 6 to 7 hours from Bangalore to Trichy. Another 3 hours approximately to reach Thiruvarur.

Needamangalam to Thiruvarur, i heard road widening/land acquisition work was happening. So watch out if you are crossing this place after dark. Also, by design all the roads are winding roads in Chola kingdom, so keep honking as needed and never overtake in turns. Drive Safe !

PM me if you are planning for Temple visits. I can tell you must visit temples list

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 10th July 2016 at 19:40.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 19:42   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
If you have studied in Vallam sastra university, obviously you will recollect a lot of things
Extremely sorry! We both did not see this.

Ravi, he was to leave on Sat! @Sairamboko I hope you found your way. Its the same map which Ravi posted.

Quote:
Thanks Ravi and Ampere!! I found the way , thanks to Google maps. However the roads from thanjavur to thiruvarur are in pretty bad shape. Took me 2 hours to cover!!
The route has usually been a bit rough. You will end up taking about 1.5 to 2 hours. Mainly because of Nedamangalam and the road beyond to Thiruvarur. Apart from the 2 in Nedamangalam there is one more railway crossing beyond. (I got stuck in all 3!)

Last edited by ampere : 10th July 2016 at 19:49.
Old 10th July 2016, 19:46   #184
BHPian

Thanks Ravi and Ampere!! I found the way , thanks to Google maps. However the roads from thanjavur to thiruvarur are in pretty bad shape. Took me 2 hours to cover!!
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:31   #185
BHPian

Back from my trip to Thiruvarur. The main goal of this trip was to visit a temple called Ettukudi Murugan Temple. Its the family temple of my wife. The roads from bangalore till Thanjavur was too good. I took the BLR->Salem->Namakkal->Trichy->Thanjavur->Thiruvarur . Namakkal to Trichy is a 2 lane state highway. Less traffic during my trip , hence no issues. Thanjavur to Thiruvarur is also a 2 lane but very bad roads. I covered Bangalore to thanjavur in 7 hours including breaks. Then the remaining 50 to 60 odd kms to Thiruvarur took me gruelling 2 hours!! :O I followed the google maps all the way.

@Ampere & Ravi - Google maps guided me properly. I took the roads suggested by google and landed near palpannai. I believe this is not the thuraiyur route.
@Ravi - thank you I have been to many temples around this region, courtesy my mother. She is a native of thanjavur. This trip was mainly to visit Ettukudi Temple.
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:38   #186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took the roads suggested by google and landed near palpannai. I believe this is not the thuraiyur route.
I think you have taken the Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri route. Thanks for the update on road conditions.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you have taken the Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri route. Thanks for the update on road conditions.
NPV - Thats the one. One word of caution. The entire route after Salem to Thiruvarur had heavy breeze!! If I take on of hands off the steering or my leg off the accelerator, my nano was pushed in the direction of the wind. Nevertheless my nano handled all that was thrown at it
Old 13th July 2016, 20:16   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
NPV - Thats the one. One word of caution. The entire route after Salem to Thiruvarur had heavy breeze!! If I take on of hands off the steering or my leg off the accelerator, my nano was pushed in the direction of the wind. Nevertheless my nano handled all that was thrown at it
You should actually try the Thuraiyur road. It has near minimal traffic. And the best part it lands you up right at the north side of Trichy on GST from where getting on the Tanjore road is easy.
Thuraiyur stretch taken 3 years back

Cross posting form:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3411557 (Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries)

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2016 at 20:24.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:09   #189

Dear BHPians,
I am planning to visit Velankanni from Bangalore and from all the posts convinced that Trichy road is the best to be considered even though Google Map suggest Kumbaonnam road.
From the posts I am confused of the direction from Namakkal to Trichy and from Tanjore to Nagapattinam. Can someone suggest the right direction considering less time and better roads, help with google map route will be most welcome.

Regards
Mathew
Old 1st August 2016, 16:04   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigism View Post
From the posts I am confused of the direction from Namakkal to Trichy and from Tanjore to Nagapattinam. Can someone suggest the right direction considering less time and better roads, help with google map route will be most welcome.
There are two options:
- Get into Namakkal town and look for road to Thuraiyur.

Route Link

- Exit at Budhan Santhai and take the road via Sentha Mangalam

Route Link

I would suggest get into Namakkal town.
Old 1st August 2016, 16:07   #191

Thanks Ampere, and from Thuraiyur connect to Trichy is it?

How about the Tanjore to Nagapattinam route, which one do you suggest?

Regards
Mathew
Old 1st August 2016, 16:23   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about the Tanjore to Nagapattinam route, which one do you suggest?
Thuraiyur-Trichy Toll Gate - Tanjore Road.

Beyond Tanjore, I think a better option is Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthiraipoondi-Nagapattanam

Route Link

For the standard Tanjore-Nedamangalam-Thiruvarur-Nagapattanam:
- Nedamangalam is a pain to cross
- And roads beyond are narrow and many sections are on a bund.

Also lets hear from others who have been here more recent.

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2016 at 16:24.
Old 1st August 2016, 17:44   #193

Hello Ampere,

Google map shows a different route via Musri from Namakkal to Trichy, is that not advisable?

Regards
Gigi Mathew
Old 1st August 2016, 19:52   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Google map shows a different route via Musri from Namakkal to Trichy, is that not advisable?
Thats also a good option. But if you go via Thiruaiyur, you end up at Toll gate directly and hence you exit on to Tanjore road is swift.
Old 1st August 2016, 20:42   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats also a good option. But if you go via Thiruaiyur, you end up at Toll gate directly and hence you exit on to Tanjore road is swift.
Quote:
Hello Ampere,

Regards
Gigi Mathew
Both the routes join at Trichy Toll gate.

However, Musiri route is Bus route and you end up having lots of heavy vehicles and sand lorries.

Thuraiyur road is calm and quiet with almost negligible traffic for stress free driving.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks