Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 09:47   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Doing Velanganni-Bangalore tomorrow early morning. Is this the best route as of now? any better options?
Thats one of the best options. There is one more via Namakkal-Thuraiyur. But then for that you need to endure trucks around Namakkal bypass which I think is a pain.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:58   #152
BHPian

Any idea on the condition of the road's between Tanjore and Velankanni (Thuraiyur) ? Is the Mannargudi preferred over the Thuraiyur route ?

Some one who has done a trip to Velankanni can throw some insights.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:16   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Any idea on the condition of the road's between Tanjore and Velankanni (Thuraiyur) ? Is the Mannargudi preferred over the Thuraiyur route ?

Thanks

It remains a good road. Stick to the NH67. Its a twisty after Nedamangalam with bunds. Hence need to be careful. But overall you can stick to NH67. You can potentially get a bit delayed if you get stuck at multiple railway crossings at Nedamangalam. But otherwise no other issues.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2014 at 10:17.
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:55   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

Thanks
My office colleague had been to Velankanni recently (Oct 2014). I suggested him to go via Trichy, Tanjore, Thiruvarur, Needamanaglam and Nagapattinam. He said the road conditions were good , narrow but a lot of 2 wheelers on the way. Near Needamangalam one has to cross about 3 to 4 level crossings.
Post Thanjavur roads are in a zig zag fashion. Also there are quite a number of speed breakers enroute.
Hope this helps.
Old 11th January 2015, 11:22   #155
BHPian

Can somebody share the latest road condition of the Bangalore - Velankanni stretch? I will be travelling on R-Day weekend.
Old 11th January 2015, 12:21   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Can somebody share the latest road condition of the Bangalore - Velankanni stretch? I will be travelling on R-Day weekend.
Bangalore-Karur : 4-lane
Karur-Trichy : Nice wide 2-lane
Trichy-Tanjore : 4-lane : Expect traffic till BHEL/NIT on Tanjore road
Tanjore-Nedamangalam-Velankanni : Nice roads. The road has bunds at many places and hence be careful on turns.

Nedamangalam has three railway crossings. May end up losing time if you get stuck. Typically makes up for a small jam.
Old 12th January 2015, 06:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My office colleague took the following route from Trichy to velankanni about 2 months back.
Via Tanjore by pass, Needamangalam and Thiruvarur. Bangalore to trichy road condition is 4 lane all the way till karur by pass. karur by pass to Trichy is an extended 2 lane road. Trichy to tanjore by pass is also a 4 lane road. The rest of the roads till velankanni are 2 lane
Near Needamangalam my friend said there are about 3 level crossings that can slow you down. also to watch out for are the moronic 2 wheelers enroute.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 11:58   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Karur : 4-lane
Karur-Trichy : Nice wide 2-lane
Trichy-Tanjore : 4-lane : Expect traffic till BHEL/NIT on Tanjore road
Tanjore-Nedamangalam-Velankanni : Nice roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My office colleague took the following route from Trichy to velankanni about 2 months back.
Thanks ampere and suresh_gs. How much time would required for the route mentioned? I will be doing a sedate driving.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:05   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere and suresh_gs. How much time would required for the route mentioned? I will be doing a sedate driving.
- Bangalore-Trichy : ~5.5/6 hours with break
- 30 minutes to cross Trichy (drive time)
- 40-45 minutes to Tanjore (drive time)
- 2 hours from Tanjore-Nedamnagalam-Velakanni. (Drive time)
Old 12th January 2015, 14:15   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- 30 minutes to cross Trichy (drive time)
Thanks again Ampere!! Is there a way I can bypass Trichy? If available, please share the Google map.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:44   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again Ampere!! Is there a way I can bypass Trichy? If available, please share the Google map.
There is not much of an option. This following is what you take:

Trichy Bypass : NH67 In to NH67 Out

Follow this to the T. According to me thats the best possible option.

Please note: I did not want to suggest the Namakkal - Thuraiyur road as an option to drive to Trichy. In case you drive via Thuraiyur, you arrive at Toll gate.

Trichy Bypass: Thuraiyur In : NH67 Out
Old 28th January 2015, 14:17   #162
BHPian

Route info Bangalore to Velankanni

Recently completed Bangalore - Velankanni trip.

Following route is used for the trip: Bangalore - Hosur - Salem - Karur - Trichi - Tanjore - Thiruvarur - Velankanni. Entire stretch is very good and can be done in 8-9 hours with breaks.

This route is used to bypass Trichi.
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:00   #163
BHPian

Did Bangalore- Velankanni on last saturday (21st March 2015, Saturday)

Started by 4 AM from Bangalore and reached Velankanni by 11.30AM
Route taken was Bangalore- Salem- Namakkal- Trichy- Tanjavur- Thiruthuraipoondi- Velankanni. This was the route without any level crosses.
Total kilometer clocked: 495kms
Total Toll Paid: Rs. 301 (3 tolls between Bangalore and Salem, excluding Electronic City Elevated path toll+1 toll for Trichy -Tanjavur road (Rs.60))

While returning took the Nagapattinam- Needamangalam route to reach Tanjavur
Total distance covered while returning- 490Kms

Started around 8AM in the morning from Velankanni on 22nd March (Sunday) and reached home in Koramangala, Bangalore by 4.15PM after loosing almost 20mins @the level crosses between Nagapattinam and Tanjavur.

Vehicle Used: Ford Classic TDCi

And I must say the Trichy- Tanjavur stretch (60Kms) was super awesome for the toll amount of Rs.60 paid, very less vehicles plying all the time and you can easily and safely throttle on 150s and 160s on this as you ll get clear visibility for almost a km to your front at most of the places in this 4lane road.

The worst was Velankanni- Tanjavur stretch and Salem - Namakkal is also a bit crowded single lane road but still better than the Velankanni- Tanjavur one.

Bangalore- Salem was as usual with Trucks blocking the way almost all the time till Krishnagiri and post which its ok. Managed to cover the 200 kms in some 2.5 hrs.
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Did Bangalore- Velankanni on last saturday (21st March 2015, Saturday)

Started by 4 AM from Bangalore and reached Velankanni by 11.30AM
Route taken was Bangalore- Salem- Namakkal- Trichy- Tanjavur- Thiruthuraipoondi- Velankanni. This was the route without any level crosses.
Total kilometer clocked: 495kms
Total Toll Paid: Rs. 301 (3 tolls between Bangalore and Salem, excluding Electronic City Elevated path toll+1 toll for Trichy -Tanjavur road (Rs.60))

While returning took the Nagapattinam- Needamangalam route to reach Tanjavur
Total distance covered while returning- 490Kms

Started around 8AM in the morning from Velankanni on 22nd March (Sunday) and reached home in Koramangala, Bangalore by 4.15PM after loosing almost 20mins @the level crosses between Nagapattinam and Tanjavur.

Vehicle Used: Ford Classic TDCi

And I must say the Trichy- Tanjavur stretch (60Kms) was super awesome for the toll amount of Rs.60 paid, very less vehicles plying all the time and you can easily and safely throttle on 150s and 160s on this as you ll get clear visibility for almost a km to your front at most of the places in this 4lane road.

The worst was Velankanni- Tanjavur stretch and Salem - Namakkal is also a bit crowded single lane road but still better than the Velankanni- Tanjavur one.

Bangalore- Salem was as usual with Trucks blocking the way almost all the time till Krishnagiri and post which its ok. Managed to cover the 200 kms in some 2.5 hrs.
Is the Needamangalam route better than the Thiruthiraipoondi route apart from the level crossings in the former.
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:08   #165
BHPian

Needamangalam route is bit crowded than Thiruthuraipoondi route and the condition of road is also not that good when comparing to the Thiruthuraipoondi one. Zigzag road with the unusual ups and downs throughout the route.. I ll not suggest Needamangalam route though 5to 10 kms less than the other

Most Viewed