Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 13:08   #46
BHPian

Re: Alternative routes - Mahabalipuram to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you starting from Whitefield, why head to Hosur. Take the Kolar-Mulbagal road. You can save quite some time.
Really? I never thought of taking this route... doesn't it cross into AP as well? I read in another thread (cant remember which one now), that border crossiing into AP may have some checks whcih can hold you up for sometime. Any idea if this is true?
Old 8th May 2014, 13:40   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Really? I never thought of taking this route... doesn't it cross into AP as well? I read in another thread (cant remember which one now), that border crossiing into AP may have some checks whcih can hold you up for sometime. Any idea if this is true?
That was Telangana agitation times. I think that thing is over now and its quite easy to drive.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:14   #48
BHPian

Hmm, OK. So the route would be to take NH-4 all the way to Chitoor, and then join Vellore? Or Chitoor to Kanchipuram directly?
Old 8th May 2014, 14:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm, OK. So the route would be to take NH-4 all the way to Chitoor, and then join Vellore? Or Chitoor to Kanchipuram directly?
Yes thats the route. See Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore thread. There are many who stay near Old Madras Road, who take route.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:31   #50
BHPian

I'm back from a great weekend trip to Mahabalipuram. I didn't use the Kolar Chittoor route, and stuck to the Sarjapur->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Sriperumbedur->Vandalur->Kellambakkam route. Traffic was light, only encountered a bit of a mess crossing Sarjapur town. The road here is patheric (craters that can swallow an SUV),but only for a short stretch. After crossing Sarjapur, roads were great all the way.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm back from a great weekend trip to Mahabalipuram. I didn't use the Kolar Chittoor route, and stuck to the Sarjapur->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Sriperumbedur->Vandalur->Kellambakkam route. Traffic was light, only encountered a bit of a mess crossing Sarjapur town. The road here is patheric (craters that can swallow an SUV),but only for a short stretch. After crossing Sarjapur, roads were great all the way.
Some time back there was post stating they had closed the road. I was hopeful and thought they may be laying out that so-called "bypass" section!

But looks like no updates on that.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Some time back there was post stating they had closed the road.
Are you talking about the road through Sarjapur town? Yes it looked like some locals were trying to close it down, by heaping a mound of mud across the road. However, most cars are able to cross it by going on the extreme right end (as you head towards Sarjapur). From a distance, it did look like it was closed, but then another car crossed just before me, so I followed. Once inside the narrow lanes of Sarjapur, we were again stuck for some time, as some puja procession was going on. I saw the locals there were giving threatening looks to drivers who were honking (expressions clearly saying that they own the road, and we car owners are a damn nuisance). Luckily, I made it through without any hassles.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Are you talking about the road through Sarjapur town? Yes it looked like some locals were trying to close it down, by heaping a mound of mud across the road. However, most cars are able to cross it by going on the extreme right end (as you head towards Sarjapur). From a distance, it did look like it was closed, but then another car crossed just before me, so I followed. Once inside the narrow lanes of Sarjapur, we were again stuck for some time, as some puja procession was going on. I saw the locals there were giving threatening looks to drivers who were honking (expressions clearly saying that they own the road, and we car owners are a damn nuisance). Luckily, I made it through without any hassles.
Sarjapur bypass road is complete and it is a breeze to cross Sarjapur. You may still encounter traffic because of the Sarjapur bus stand, but it may be only few minutes.

If you are coming from Bangalore side - once you cross Sarjapur bus stand - take a left instead of right. At the end of bypass, take a left - to go towards Bagalur and then Hosur.

Route: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...7881374,17.49z

Last edited by maheshramaling : 1st September 2015 at 11:23. Reason: Added the route map
Old 10th December 2015, 08:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hyellow folks,

I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Mahabalipuram during the Christmas weekend.

I have a few questions in mind:

- How is the current situation in Mahabs, after the recent flood fury ?
- How is the beach there ? Our major attraction is the beach. So wanted to know more about it. A beach resort is what I am looking at.
- How long will be the drive from south Bangalore (silk board precisely) ?
I drive a Chevy Beat, speeds would be hovering around a steady 100, with 3 adults (includes me) and a kid in tow.
- Assuming I start around 4-4:30 AM, with 2-3 breaks of 30 mins each, what would be my ETA ?
Old 10th December 2015, 08:49   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hyellow folks,
- How is the current situation in Mahabs, after the recent flood fury ?
- How is the beach there ? Our major attraction is the beach. So wanted to know more about it. A beach resort is what I am looking at.
- How long will be the drive from south Bangalore (silk board precisely) ?
I drive a Chevy Beat, speeds would be hovering around a steady 100, with 3 adults (includes me) and a kid in tow.
- Assuming I start around 4-4:30 AM, with 2-3 breaks of 30 mins each, what would be my ETA ?
Kanchipuram-Chengalpet-Mahabalipuram

Take a note on how to bypass Kanchi: Route Link

- Once you take the first exit from GQ towards Kanchi town, and you have driven a couple of km, you will see an exit board for Vandavasi.
- Take that road, and come back to towards the city via the Military road and join the Kanchi-Chengalpet SH.
- Its is a good wide SH.
- Once you the GST (NH45 Chennai-Trichy 4L) at Chengalpet, the SH goes below the 4-lane
- Get into the town, and head towards the Govt hospital.
- Just before the hospital you will the SH exit for Mahabalipuram.
- If you see the hospital gate, be aware that you have gone the exit.
- As about hotels, the best one is Radisson Blue. I think there was BHP meet as well which happened there.
Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ry-2015-a.html
Timing:
- Kanchi should be about 4.5 hours max.
- Kanchi bypass 20-25 minutes
- Kanchi-Chengalpet : 40 minutes
- Chengalpet town and drive to Mahabalipuram: 50 minutes to an hour.
Now coming to current situation:
- Kanchi was flooded as per what I know. Chengalpet was OK. But I have no idea about Mahabalipuram
- So with regards to current condition, you may want to check with others or locals if things are in order.

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2015 at 08:51.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 09:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kanchipuram-Chengalpet-Mahabalipuram

Take a note on how to bypass Kanchi:
Thanks a lot ampere ! I was awaiting your response !
Looking back at the route the Team BHP meet guys took, the distance is almost equal to what you have suggested.

So now I have two routes:

https://goo.gl/maps/Jdfb3ZaiinJ2 - Via Kolat - Chitoor

https://goo.gl/maps/LwcJSnvNjvL2 - Via Krishnagiri - Vellore

My question now is:
- Which one of the two has better 4 laned road, with lesser traffic ?
- Which one would have more eateries and stops, since I have a baby in tow ? I read somewhere that after Shoolagiri, there are not much eateries until Vellore.

The Radisson Blu has lost its plot, its charging 1 lakh for a room during the Christmas weekend
How is the TTDC resort in reality ? Read on a few threads that it is good, is it ?
Old 10th December 2015, 09:53   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
- Which one of the two has better 4 laned road, with lesser traffic ?
- Hosur 4-lane any day!
- Go past Krishnagiri till Ambur. And break fast at Sai Sangeeth. The best place on this highway. And an awesome location too.

Quote:
- Which one would have more eateries and stops, since I have a baby in tow ? I read somewhere that after Shoolagiri, there are not much eateries until Vellore.
That landscape has changed. In fact these days when ever I drive towards Chennai, I always stop after Krishnagiri, because that way crowd is way lesser. The south bound Kerala traffic is filtered out. As I said earlier Sai Sangeeth is one of the best places to have your break. Even at 6:30 in the morning they have their full menu up!

And how to spot this place? Its precisely 12km after Vanyambadi toll on your side of the road, while driving towards Chennai.

Quote:
The Radisson Blu has lost its plot, its charging 1 lakh for a room during the Christmas weekend
Oh My Goodness! I dont think I have ever seen such pricing even in Goa!

I am not aware of any other places as such. Will just say go by tripadvisor ratings. I see quite many of them.

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2015 at 09:57.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:31   #58
BHPian

Hi All

Planning a small trip to Mahabalipuram from BLR. The place I am travelling is not exactly in M'Puram and is somewhere closer to Odiyur lake.

Google maps suggests the 3/4 of the Pondi route i.e. till Vandavasi, and then follow the SH115 till the destination.

Alternative routes shown by GMaps show bypassing Kanchi, joining SH118A and touching SH115.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rish
Old 7th February 2016, 19:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Google maps suggests the 3/4 of the Pondi route i.e. till Vandavasi, and then follow the SH115 till the destination.
This is the perfect option! Take it by all means. Once past Vandavasi it about 20-30km to the 4-lane at Soothupakkam (Melmaruvarthur).

Quote:
Alternative routes shown by GMaps show bypassing Kanchi, joining SH118A and touching SH115.
Not worth it. There is a Kanchi bypass possible but its quite convoluted. Also given you are heading to the point you mentioned, it does not make sense to take the Kanchi route. Vandavasi makes much more sense.

Please keep maps/GPS handy. Its very useful. Though roads are good, its always reassuring to know, that you are on the right track!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 16:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
This is the perfect option! Take it by all means. Once past Vandavasi it about 20-30km to the 4-lane at Soothupakkam (Melmaruvarthur).

Please keep maps/GPS handy. Its very useful. Though roads are good, its always reassuring to know, that you are on the right track!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ampere - You are truly a Travel Encyclopedia.

Are we referring to the SH115 being a 4 laner, and all the way to the Odiyur lake? If thats the case, there seems to be '0' worries.

Surely Yes - Whilst going to Pondy, the network was good enough to support the mapping thruout. This time again, Gmaps will be kept handy at all points.

Thanks again Ampere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks