Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 15:15   #466
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Returned back from a BLR - TRZ - BLR trip today (24/9/2013).

Started Friday 20th evening.

6 pm - ORR.
8 pm - Krishnagiri
11 pm - Nammakkal
12:30 am (25/9) - Trichy (KK Nagar)

Last time I did this stretch via Karur (bypass) in June. When compared to that the road condition remains same except the following

The construction activity along the Hosur -> Krishnagiri stretch barring first 4 kms from Karnataka border improved a lot. Few mini flyovers (the ones with pedestrian passing) are opened for traffic on completion and not too many diversion now.

When I reached namakkal in NH7 I decided to try the old route via thotiyam, musuri, No 1 tollgate and I didn't regret my decision. This stretch is done newly in parts and the road is good to drive at decent 80 kmph. Even at night driving I managed to reach trichy city in 1:30 hrs. I believe the lorry traffic is definitely less now and it will lot easier to manage and drive in the day time.

On return I thought I would check on the status of NH 67 via Kulithalai Lalapet but people around advised me against do that stating the road is still not motorable for the first 8 kms from Trichy City.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 15:54   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
I believe the lorry traffic is definitely less now and it will lot easier to manage and drive in the day time.
Mettur dam opened and for water is flowing in it instead of sand tippers. Once the dam is closed, we can expect the 'normal' level of sand blasting on our windshields.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:30   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
947.1 km in 24 hours.
Wow! You are having miles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And not just that; but also for your sleep I guess ! 24 hours of drive with sumptuous food! Thats the recipe for a road trip. Any power naps in between ?

I posted your response to this thread, as it might be useful. Did you take the Tirupathur/Nattam route to Dindigul on the way back from Pilayarpatti ? If yes, how was it ?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:07   #469
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any power naps in between ?
While returning, I had a power nap of about an hour just before Thoppur ghats. But, in my relatives home, I had short naps whenever I was left alone!

Quote:
I posted your response to this thread, as it might be useful.
I thought of posting a detailed road conditions today after full-fledged sleep in perfect horizontal position. Thanks to you, ampere, for posting that link.

Quote:
Did you take the Tirupathur/Nattam route to Dindigul on the way back from Pilayarpatti ? If yes, how was it ?
Yes. Here are the detailed road conditions:

Bangalore to Trichy: Passing through the interstate border at Attibele/Zuzuwadi at 2:15 am was a smooth affair without any hiccups. I took the time-tested Namakkal>Thottiyam>Musiri route. From Namakkal to Thottiyam, many stretches had new tar surfaces. It was a breeze to drive in our usual speeds. There were some rough stretches between Thottiyam and Musiri. Here, the average speed reduced, but clearly driveable as there were no potholes or craters as such; only the surface was rough, thanks to overloaded sand-laden trucks, who rule the roost 24x7 on this stretch. From Musiri to toll gate, the road was excellent with butter-smooth tarmac resulting in increase in average speed.

Trichy to Pillayarpatti: I drove via Pudukottai and Tirumayam on the 2-lane NH, which is being improved by NHAI as a toll road. But, the toll is not being collected yet as the works are still in progress. There were some diversions due to construction of bridges. But, travelling to Pillayarpatti from Trichy/Pudukottai side is now made easy with very good roads. These are the pictures of the completed stretch of the NH:

Pillayarpatti to Dindigul: my MapMyIndia tried in vain to convince me to drive back to Bangalore via Pudukottai/Trichy/Musiri route only! But, I overruled it by taking Nattham/Dindigul route as I do always for the return journey to Bangalore. There were some diversions and rough stretches between Nattham and Dindigul, but manageable.

Dindigul to Bangalore: I just enjoyed driving on this stretch with my usual speeds, which reduced after Krishnagiri due to road-widening works, but with good diversions. 3 lanes of Thoppur ghats were not enough for those overloaded trucks, who hogged on all the lanes and gasped for breath! Zigzagging through them was testing my patience. Again, passing through TN/KA border was a smooth affair after the midnight.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd October 2013 at 11:11.
  (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:18   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
While returning, I had a power nap of about an hour just before Thoppur ghats. But, in my relatives home, I had short naps whenever I was left alone!
I was almost tempted to write : "And miles to go before I sleep!"

Quote:
Bangalore to Trichy: Passing through the interstate border at Attibele/Zuzuwadi at 2:15 am was a smooth affair without any hiccups. I took the time-tested Namakkal>Thottiyam>Musiri route. From Namakkal to Thottiyam, many stretches had new tar surfaces. It was a breeze to drive in our usual speeds. There were some rough stretches between Thottiyam and Musiri. Here, the average speed reduced, but clearly driveable as there were no potholes or craters as such; only the surface was rough, thanks to overloaded sand-laden trucks, who rule the roost 24x7 on this stretch. From Musiri to toll gate, the road was excellent with butter-smooth tarmac resulting in increase in average speed.
So no Thuraiyur from now on? Maybe Musiri helps because you need to get into the city. If driving towards Tanjore, may be Thuraiyur is a better option.

Quote:
Trichy to Pillayarpatti: I drove via Pudukottai and Tirumayam on the 2-lane NH, which is being improved by NHAI as a toll road. But, the toll is not being collected yet as the works are still in progress. There were some diversions due to construction of bridges. But, travelling to Pillayarpatti from Trichy/Pudukottai side is now made easy with very good roads. These are the pictures of the completed stretch of the NH:
This is news indeed! I always thought going via 4-lane and Tirupathur was a better option. But seeing 210 in such a good state is amazing !

Quote:
Pillayarpatti to Dindigul: my MapMyIndia tried in vain to convince me to drive back to Bangalore via Pudukottai/Trichy/Musiri route only! But, I overruled it by taking Nattham/Dindigul route as I do always for the return journey to Bangalore. There were some diversions and rough stretches between Nattham and Dindigul, but manageable.
Thanks for confirming this. The reason why I ask this is in case if some one wants to drive to Rameshwaram, then one can use this option in a very effective way and in the process also visit the temple. This by the way is one of my favorite temples too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Even you go via Thuraiyur, it joins at Nochiyam (Musiri route). So, its same if you are going to Tanjore.

For getting into city, Kulithalai used to be the better option but given the road conditions now, I would suggest anyone to take Musiri route only.

Thanks NFS. Good point. I missed it. Should be there some time soon. Cant wait to drove on these roads ! Esp the tree lined 2-lanes.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2013 at 11:41.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:32   #471
BHPian

Quote:
So no Thuraiyur from now on? Maybe Musiri helps because you need to get into the city. If driving towards Tanjore, may be Thuraiyur is a better option.
Even you go via Thuraiyur, it joins at Nochiyam (Musiri route). So, its same if you are going to Tanjore.

For getting into city, Kulithalai used to be the better option but given the road conditions now, I would suggest anyone to take Musiri route only.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 3rd October 2013 at 11:34.
nfsfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:04   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post

Any update on Karur NH ?? Have they completed till jeeyapuram atleast
Sorry for the belated reply. Drove through kulithalai route last night. The final 10 kilometres to trichy is a collection of choicest possible potholes with broken roads. Best to avoid it.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:27   #473
Senior - BHPian

Returned from a trip from Hyderabad to Srirangam.
Update on the road conditions between Namakkal and Srirangam.
Onward journey via Thottiam- Musiri- Srirangam.
Namakkal- Thottiyam- some rough stretches of roads about 10-15kms newly laid roads.Can maintain 60-70kms speed.
Thottiyam-Musiri bad stretch occasion potholes. This stretch slows you down.
Musiri - Srirangam Good roads throughout.

Had to travel from Trichy- Kulithalai and back. The road condition road widening and concrete laying is happening one side of the road was opened up so deviation and waiting for down coming vehicles.
Better to avoid this stretch.

Return Srirangam- Pagalvadi-Kannanur-Alanganatham piruvu-Senthamangalam- Rasipuram- Salem. The route was to avoid Namakkal town traffic. This route was good minimal traffic from Alanganatham pirivu to Rasipuram problem lot of small villages to cross but manageble.

The preferred route to me still Namakkal- Kannanur- Pagalvadi- Srirangam.

Last edited by gajadonga : 15th October 2013 at 11:29.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 11:49   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Return Srirangam- Pagalvadi-Kannanur-Alanganatham piruvu-Senthamangalam- Rasipuram- Salem. The route was to avoid Namakkal town traffic. This route was good minimal traffic from Alanganatham pirivu to Rasipuram problem lot of small villages to cross but manageble.

Namakkal can have pretty bad traffic. So looks like as you say, this road via Senthamangalam on to Rasipuram can be a good alternative. Good find!

Also does it really slow you down while travelling through these small villages?
Old 15th October 2013, 12:09   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Namakkal can have pretty bad traffic. So looks like as you say, this road via Senthamangalam on to Rasipuram can be a good alternative. Good find!

Also does it really slow you down while travelling through these small villages?

Traffic in this stretch is minimal and crossing the villages slows you down. The town traffic in Rasipuram was minimal. This route saves about 15-20 mins of running time between Trichy - Banglore. Small ghats section between Senthamagalam- Rasipuram.
A bypass road for Rasipuram from Senthamangalam side is in completion stage except for the railway under bridge.

Last edited by gajadonga : 15th October 2013 at 12:22.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:52   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Nice find. Thanks for the update gajadonga.

Is this the route you took? :http://goo.gl/maps/JSnPW

Also, below one could be an option which joins at Pudhanchanthai.
http://goo.gl/maps/Wxqvi (joins directly at highway between Namakkal and Rasipuram).
PS: I am not sure about the road conditions, just stumbled across while checking in maps for route suggested by gajadonga.

May be, I would check these options if I drive to Trichy during Diwali.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 22nd October 2013 at 11:55.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:12   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post

Nice find. Thanks for the update gajadonga.

Is this the route you took? :http://goo.gl/maps/JSnPW

Also, below one could be an option which joins at Pudhanchanthai.

The route you have shown in the maps is the route I had taken.
The second route suggested by you from Senthamangalam to Budan santhai might be better than what I had traveled. Simple reason you reach the four lane highway quicker and you can avoid the villages in between.
The road condition between Senthamagalam to Budan santhai is not known.
This route can be used in the day time if you want to avoid Namakkal town traffic.
I crossed Hosur from Srirangam in about 4.30mins this time in this route.
The single road from Kannanur to Pagalavadi has been widened.

Last edited by gajadonga : 22nd October 2013 at 12:22.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 18:28   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Returned from a trip from Hyderabad to Srirangam.
Update on the road conditions between Namakkal and Srirangam.
Onward journey via Thottiam- Musiri- Srirangam.
Namakkal- Thottiyam- some rough stretches of roads about 10-15kms newly laid roads.Can maintain 60-70kms speed.
Thottiyam-Musiri bad stretch occasion potholes. This stretch slows you down.
Musiri - Srirangam Good roads throughout.

Had to travel from Trichy- Kulithalai and back. The road condition road widening and concrete laying is happening one side of the road was opened up so deviation and waiting for down coming vehicles.
Better to avoid this stretch.

There is one more option available.
Srirangam- Pagalvadi-Kannanur-Alanganatham piruvu-Senthamangalam - Budan Sandai ( it will take you to GQ again), - Salem.

Last time when I traveled on this route. Could save around 20 min.
double is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 16:17   #479
BHPian

returned back from trichy last weekend. Used Trichy - Karur - Nammakal - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore route.
Trichy - Karur --> The first 12 km (Kudamurtti river bridge to Jeeyapuram) is done neatly by SG. Road is cleanly laid, however no lane marking done or highway furniture installed. If you're driving after dusk like I did then it will an issue as this stretch has got some wild turns.

Rest of the stretch as it is no major breakthrough in construction activities from Krishnagiri to Hosur. All completed stretches are lane marked and median painted. Some mini flyovers(the one with pedestrian underpass below) have speed breakers in them with sign boards warning of them appropriately. Not sure if it will be permanent or just put up till smoothening connectivity to down ramp.
Old 9th December 2013, 14:45   #480
BHPian

Dear BHPians

Just wanted to update all BHPian's travelling to Trichy

A friend of mine based on my recommendation travelled to Trichy (NIT) from Bangalore VIA Thuraiyur and was able to complete the travel in 6:30 hrs (Departed at 6:00am on a weekday)

Road conditions were good too

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 9th December 2013 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks