Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:24   #421
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
just a clarification, by "Karur" you mean going all the way till Karur and get back or connect to Karur NH from Namakkal via thotiyam, kulithalai ?
HVK has already answered your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Widening work on NH67 from Karur to Trichy is almost all done and is the best route to take.
For this, continue on NH7 on Karur bypass till the end (towards Dindigul), where you will see sign boards indicating 80 kms in 80 kms. Turn left off NH7. This will take you into the Karur bypass on NH67. And thereafter to Trichy via Kulitalai.
Only thing I wonder is how do they decide where they need 4-lane versus a wide 2-lane ? Because west of Karur all the way to CBE, its a wide 2-lane. Trichy-Tanjore is 4-lane.

Traffic Density study? (I doubt! )
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:58   #422

Traveled from Bangalore to Nagapattinum on 4th May. Went upto Salem and then took the Ullundurpetai Road to Chidambaram and then on to Nagapattium. Reached in about 10 hours with stops of about 1 hr 15 min. There was some rioting along the ECR some days back and so the entire stretch was barricaded by police at intervals, which led to traffic. Would have reached in 9 hours otherwise. Road were good all throughout except a few km near Chidambaram and the narrow roads between Sirkazi and Karaikal.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:06   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Widening work on NH67 from Karur to Trichy is almost all done and is the best route to take.
For this, continue on NH7 on Karur bypass till the end (towards Dindigul), where you will see sign boards indicating 80 kms in 80 kms. Turn left off NH7. This will take you into the Karur bypass on NH67. And thereafter to Trichy via Kulitalai.

Namakkal is before Karur (when coming from Bangalore/Salem) and the route form Namakkal takes you through Namakkal town & THuraiyur to Trichy.
Ok understood, you're referring to travelling from Karur - Trichy not Bangalore to Trichy. If one has to reach trichy from Bangalore then till Namakkal its straight & clear NH7, from Namakkal to Trichy is what I was asking about. Its still good via Thuraiyur no alternatives isn' t it ?
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:22   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok understood, you're referring to travelling from Karur - Trichy not Bangalore to Trichy. If one has to reach trichy from Bangalore then till Namakkal its straight & clear NH7, from Namakkal to Trichy is what I was asking about. Its still good via Thuraiyur no alternatives isn' t it ?
I think HVK is making the point that now since KarurTrichy is sufficiently good, it does not make sense to go via Thuraiyur (unless of course you want to bypass the town and are going towards Tanjore). In that case I think Thuraiyur option is better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:35   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I think HVK is making the point that now since KarurTrichy is sufficiently good, it does not make sense to go via Thuraiyur (unless of course you want to bypass the town and are going towards Tanjore). In that case I think Thuraiyur option is better.
But if you go via Karur and return its 40 km more than normal route isn't ? Does it still make good fuel saving ?
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:23   #426
BHPian

Quote:

But if you go via Karur and return its 40 km more than normal route isn't ? Does it still make good fuel saving ?
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:51   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir ji, you cannot make route selections merely based on kilometres saved or otherwise.

But based on:
- which is the better road?
- which is simpler?
- which bypasses towns & has less traffic?
- which is less risky (meaning miscellaneous traffic, etc)
- which is the NH vs SH or MDR, etc?

The Namakkal-THuraiyur route had become standard route because NH67 was being widened & in a mess. Now it is much better after being almost fully done.

As ampere mentioned above, now that NH67 is better, it is better to revert to the old route. I would prefer NH67 any day. Karur city is bypassed, and crossing Trichy is also easy (no need to go into the city)
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:59   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would prefer NH67 any day. Karur city is bypassed, and crossing Trichy is also easy (no need to go into the city)
Oh yes! I was thinking NH45 when I was writing of bypass! Very true you are at the north end when you make an entry.

Is this the kind of bypass which you were referring to ?

Route Link

If some one wants to take the Kallanai SH, even then its easy. Many options available.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:14   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes! I was thinking NH45 when I was writing of bypass! Very true you are at the north end when you make an entry.

Is this the kind of bypass which you were referring to ?

Route Link

If some one wants to take the Kallanai SH, even then its easy. Many options available.
Yes, that is the one, not a true bypass bu steers you away from the Trichy city centre, and normally you can get to the NH45 bypass without any difficulty or confusion.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:59   #430
BHPian

Yes the Namakkal -> Karur -> Kulithalai stretch is approx 30 - 35 kms more than Namakkal-> Thottiyam->Kulithalai but the Karur -> Kulithalai stretch is far better than going through the Thottiyam->Kulithalai.
Moreover the work is really getting completed fast from Karur to trichy and most likely will get done by 2-3 months time. That is good news for lot of people.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:50   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As ampere mentioned above, now that NH67 is better, it is better to revert to the old route. I would prefer NH67 any day. Karur city is bypassed, and crossing Trichy is also easy (no need to go into the city)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
Yes the Namakkal -> Karur -> Kulithalai stretch is approx 30 - 35 kms more than Namakkal-> Thottiyam->Kulithalai but the Karur -> Kulithalai stretch is far better than going through the Thottiyam->Kulithalai.
Moreover the work is really getting completed fast from Karur to trichy and most likely will get done by 2-3 months time. That is good news for lot of people.
Just to confirm, is it a wide 2-lane road like its previous section (CBE-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur) or its a 4-lane like the next section? (Trichy-Tanjore)
Meanwhile I was looking at Karur "road geography". Its surprising that NH67 links to NH7 north of the town. We still need to take NH7 to go south of Karur and then take the bypass, while NH67 directly goes into the town.

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2013 at 07:52.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:37   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to confirm, is it a wide 2-lane road like its previous section (CBE-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur) or its a 4-lane like the next section? (Trichy-Tanjore)
Meanwhile I was looking at Karur "road geography". Its surprising that NH67 links to NH7 north of the town. We still need to take NH7 to go south of Karur and then take the bypass, while NH67 directly goes into the town.
1. NH67 is a widened 2-laned road between Karur & Trichy via Kulithalai.

2. Karur NH67 bypass starts south of the town from NH7 (the last flyover towards Dindigul on NH7)

3. The NH67 (original) hits the previous flyover (when coming from Coimbatore) & goes through town, but if those travelling through on NH67 want to take the bypass, they have to first turn right onto NH7, drive till the next flyover (south-bound direction) & then take the NH67 bypass towards Trichy

4. There are clear signages pointing 80 kms to Trichy where the NH67 begins off NH7. Don't turn anywhere into Karur town before that
Old 30th May 2013, 17:25   #433
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am driving down to Tanjore tomorrow from Bangalore. Plan to leave around 3 PM and reach Tanjore by night 10 PM. Parents and kids will be on-board, so journey speed will be mostly sedate.

From ampere's and HVK's previous posts, I am planning to take the below route :

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Karur-TrichyBypass- (NH67)Kulithalai-Trichy-Thanjavur.

http://goo.gl/maps/tqHi3

I am only familiar with route conditions untill Salem and have absolutely no idea about the Karur routes. Is it safe to drive in the night? I am not concerned at all about the additional distance as long as the roads are good and safe.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Greg
Old 30th May 2013, 17:52   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I am only familiar with route conditions untill Salem and have absolutely no idea about the Karur routes. Is it safe to drive in the night? I am not concerned at all about the additional distance as long as the roads are good and safe.
Few notes:

- Drive till Karur is 4-lane
- Bypass to Trichy is to the south of Karur town. In other words, NH7 will bypass the town to the south and then you should see markings for Trichy on your left
- Karur Trichy is not fully done. I read here that about 15km is still not done.
- Check this post by @RGK

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3134824

- So please be careful for the last section.
- NH67 should continue through the city. But for a bypass the easiest I can suggest is take the bridge over Cauvery twice.
- Keeps google maps. Should be really helpful at these late hours if you get lost in the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 23:10   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Few notes:

- Drive till Karur is 4-lane
- Bypass to Trichy is to the south of Karur town. In other words, NH7 will bypass the town to the south and then you should see markings for Trichy on your left
- Karur Trichy is not fully done. I read here that about 15km is still not done.
- NH67 should continue through the city. But for a bypass the easiest I can suggest is take the bridge over Cauvery twice.
- Keeps google maps. Should be really helpful at these late hours if you get lost in the city.
Thanks Ampere for the suggestions. I will post the road conditions once I am back from the trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks