Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2024, 14:09   #6241

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketav View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Lanja (Konkan) via Goa on the 04th of Sept.

Hubbali - Dharwad - Tinai Ghat - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Towards Konkan Region.

The road is good.
Hi Ketav,

How was the condition of the Tinai Ghat road? I need to go to North Goa, if Tinai ghat road is good I will take that, otherwise I will take South Goa route.

Thank you.

Last edited by varunait2003 : 22nd September 2024 at 14:26. Reason: Missed checking information that was already available
Old 22nd September 2024, 15:08   #6242

Tinai Ghat road was fine. Maybe 2-3 kms was poor. A bridge is being built.
Ketav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2024, 10:03   #6243

I drove from Bangalore to North Goa yesterday.

Bangalore > Hubli > Dharwad > Tinai Ghat > Anmod > Ponda > Candolim

I started at 4:30am and still encountered traffic jam after Neelamangala around 6am ( I think the reason is buses/trucks coming from the wrong side).

Number of diversions on the NH48 have become its character now, count has only increased since my last trip 6 months ago.

The road from Hubli to Dharwad is still single lane (I thought somebody mentioned it's four lane now).

I had stopped for lunch around 1:30pm at Hill View Restaurant 10 Kms after exiting Dharwad bypass (by the time I would reached Amigos it would have been late). Restaurant's owner told me that both the routes are open.

As I didn't want to drive on the loose gravel road I took the tinai ghat road. First half is very good, in second half there are few pot holes which you can easily navigate if you drive slow.

On the Anmod Ghat it started drizzling and misty, with people stoppingto enjoy the roadside waterfalls and taking pictures(reminded me of Lonavla). But after Ponda it started raining very heavily with poor visibility, also a lot of time I was stuck behind slow moving trucks on the single lane road. Had to drive slowly and reached the hotel just before 7pm.
varunait2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 14:27   #6244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Turbo View Post
Usually how long does it take to reach Goa from Bangalore (gorguntepalya) google says 10-11 hours. I will be travelling to Goa on Oct 3 and return on Oct 6 in my kuv100, planning to take the above suggested route to Benaulim.
Reposting this to seek some advise

Last edited by ampere : 25th September 2024 at 22:55.
Old 25th September 2024, 14:40   #6245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
will be leaving Bangalore by 5-6 Am
How long usually - It takes anything between 9 to 12 hours depending on traffic and stops.

My suggestion would be, try to start a bit earlier than 5.00 AM, crossing Tumkur is the biggest hurdle, past that its mostly smooth sailing till Belgaum byepass.

Also, by starting early, you will be able to reach Goa around lunch time. That way skipping another stop enroute and also saving some time for you to rest on reaching your place of stay.

To give a comparison, I usually start by 3.30 AM - 4.00 AM from near to HSR layout. Stop for breakfast just before Belgaum. Reach Goa by around noon.

Ofcourse, with kids in car, you may have to make additional stops, still even if you add an hour or two, you would end up driving the whole day.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 20:14   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs mpksuhas, will definitely try to leave as early as possible
There's a thumb rule that holds good for a majority of the long distance travels / drives in India that I have noticed over a period of time. This is my personal observation.

50 Kms / hour distance covered is the thumb rule.

You divide your total distance by 50 and you get your hours of drive time. This includes your coffee breaks, bad road / good road / a bit of traffic etc conditions.

I have consistently noticed that 50 Kms per hour is the distance covered in most cases unless you drive extremely fast or you drive lethargically slow.

Please plan your start time, break fast / lunch breaks, arrival at destination time as per this thumb rule.

For example, from Gorguntepalya, Bangalore to say Calangute, Goa. the google maps say the distance is 589 Kms. let us round it off to 600 Kms.

600 Kms / 50 Kms per hour is 12 hours. give or take another half an hour. This includes your breaks, heavy traffic, light to no traffic, great 4 lane, single narrow lane, great smooth roads to bad pot holed roads. Eventually it evens up and breaks down to 50 Kms per hour

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th September 2024 at 16:31. Reason: Minor spacing and formatting
ashkamath is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 21:44   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
There's a thumb rule that holds good for a majority of the long distance travels / drives in India that I have noticed over a period of time. This is my personal observation.
This makes sense Ashkamath, any ideas about sunfilm in Goa

Last edited by ampere : 25th September 2024 at 22:56.
TM_Turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 22:03   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
For example, from Gorguntepalya, Bangalore to say Calangute, Goa. the google maps say the distance is 589 Kms. let us round it off to 600 Kms.
600 Kms / 50 Kms per hour is 12 hours. give or take another half an hour. This includes your breaks, heavy traffic, light to no traffic, great 4 lane, single narrow lane, great smooth roads to bad pot holed roads. Eventually it evens up and breaks down to 50 Kms per hour
To add to this, try maintaining 80-90kmph speed with light foot. You can easily get 75kmph average on good roads. The equation goes like this for me. Goa trip has real painful part of Anmod ghat and further road to Ponda with strict 60kmph limit that slows you down badly and affects the equation. However I often visit Mantralaya. AP that is 400km with very good to excellent roads. In first hour you will be haunted by city traffic no matter how fast you wish to travel resulting in only 40kmph. But start speeding after leaving the city behind and stay consistent at 90kmph with super light foot no matter how nice and empty the road is. You will see the both the averages increase dramatically i.e. mileage and distance per hour. I take 6 hours with one 30 min break for food and fuel. I learnt this over time and helped to reach the destination peacefully and happily.
rajivtelang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 22:28   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
This makes sense Ashkamath, any ideas about sunfilm in Goa
Well, the police here are hyper active about sunfilms. They actually tear it up. But again it's just pure chance. The police are not everywhere. Do Look out for them when you get down the ramp of Atal Sethu in Panaji, both directions. At the end of bridge, both sides they generally wait.

As I said, you getting caught for sunfilm is purely by chance. There are some days when no police seems to be around and some days they are everywhere.

One suggestion is to wind down the window glass in the city limits so that no one can notice that you have tinted window glasses. The weather is pleasant. So AC is not necessary and driving around with windows glass down is pleasant too.

Police are not there in the interior areas like Calangute, Baga, Candolim etc. These are touristy areas but generally police don't loiter around there.

Overall I think there's no need to be worried. It should be fine.

Last edited by ashkamath : 25th September 2024 at 22:30.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 16:32   #6250

Hi BHPians,

Are there any COCO pumps on or near the North to South Goa highway after Candolim ?

If not, please recommend other reliable ones.

Thanks 🙏
Old 26th September 2024, 17:48   #6251

Hi fellow BHPians,

I am travelling to Siolim, North Goa on the 5th of OCT, I would like to know which route to take after Hubballi. Google Maps suggests to take Belagavi route. Last year I had taken Tinai ghat road but faced a lot of bad stretches, was able to navigate it thanks to Seltos. As we are a group of 6 adults and 4 children (travelling in 3 cars Seltos, Nexon and Rapid) would like to know which route is good after the heavy rains this year.

Also would like to know the NH toll one has to pay.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th September 2024 at 16:30. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 27th September 2024, 13:21   #6252

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I am travelling to Siolim, North Goa on the 5th of OCT, I would like to know which route to take after Hubballi. Google Maps suggests to take Belagavi route. Last year I had taken Tinai ghat road but faced a lot of bad stretches, was able to navigate it thanks to Seltos. As we are a group of 6 adults and 4 children (travelling in 3 cars Seltos, Nexon and Rapid) would like to know which route is good after the heavy rains this year.
Also would like to know the NH toll one has to pay.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions
It has been raining a lot since Monday, so not sure about the current condition of Tinai Ghat road.

Toll is 635 (till Dharwad - fastag)+ 55(Dharwad-Ramnagar in cash)
varunait2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2024, 15:37   #6253

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
we rode (3 bikes) to goa via this route : https://maps.app.goo.gl/uE3ruC3npDgbAepW9

Awesome, scenic route. The traffic was sparce and 95% of the route with perfect road condition.
Is this a strict 2 wheeler route? Is it viable for 4 wheelers as well? I am driving an XUV700 and first time driving from Bangalore to Goa. Any route recommendations, destination being Palolem?

Also, any recommendations for breakfast and lunch en route would also help.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th September 2024 at 16:30. Reason: Reordering quoted post above the reply for better readability.
Old 29th September 2024, 13:22   #6254

Any update on the Tinai ghat route? Anyone who used the route in the last two days? I will be taking the route on Oct 3.
Old 29th September 2024, 17:14   #6255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.joe View Post
Is this a strict 2 wheeler route? Is it viable for 4 wheelers as well? I am driving an XUV700 and first time driving from Bangalore to Goa. Any route recommendations, destination being Palolem?

Also, any recommendations for breakfast and lunch en route would also help.
Palolem is in the Southern end of Goa. So it makes sense to enter Goa from Karwar (Karnataka) side and from Karwar, your destination is just about 30 kms inside Goa.

The most commonly used route is to take the Bangalore Pune National Highway. At Hubli (I think it's about 450 kms from Bangalore) take the left towards Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (Palolem). This is the bus route (Bangalore to Goa buses) and it's a fairly busy route, nothing much to worry.

There's a shortcut at Bankapur, after Haveri on the Bangalore to Hubli route. This takes you through minor state roadsl via Mundgod to join the Hubli - Ankola road at Yellapur. This route shortens your distance by 50 Kms / 1 hour drive time. This route is a decent route, not recommended for low GC cars. XUV 700 shouldn't have any issue here.

The route you referred in your query is a very different route that avoids the Bangalore - Pune National Highway and takes you through the state highway via Tiptur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - etc. This is a proper highway too with many state buses and trucks plying. However it's not 4 lane or as quick as the NH.

If you want to explore Karnataka state roads, towns and have more time on hand, then you could try the route that you mentioned in your query. If you want a good, straight forward highway with cruise control, then take the Hubli route. It's quicker.

Every town that you pass on the highway has some decent restaurants. Many good restaurants are on the highway too and you get their signboards much in advance to plan your stops. Restaurants are not a problem in any of these routes.
ashkamath is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks