Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 17:01   #6181
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,
I am starting from Bellandur in Bangalore on 25th night to Palolem, it will be an overnight drive.
Kindly suggest -
1. Which route would be the safest to go. (given the heavy rains/landslides situation)
2. Where all can I take pit stops for a quick tea/coffee break or maybe even a nap in case I feel very sleepy.
3. What all precautions do i need to take? Or what do I need to be careful about?

Kindly suggest!
Thank You and Best Regards
Your destination is Palolem which is one of the southern most beach in Goa and about 20 -25 kms from Karwar (Karnataka border).

That means the Anmod route, Chorla ghat etc all are out of reckoning as they are suitable if your destination is North Goa.

You are proposing to drive in the night. So safety is paramount. Sticking to a 4/6 lane NH for as long possible should be your aim.

So, that leaves the Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur road is out. Because it's a single road passing through forest areas and in monsoon it could be tricky (treacherous) for an unsuspecting driver in night. Better to avoid night driving in this road.

That leaves only one option that's already suggested earlier. Bangalore to Hubli (NH). Take bypass to Kalghatgi - Yallapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa. This road has heavy night traffic as the long distance buses and trucks use this road. So, safety is better and there are some whole night open restaurants on this route.

Pitstop may be at some all night restaurants along the NH upto Hubli (there are quite a few of them), Yellapur has an eatery or two. The night buses halt at some places in this stretch (Hubli to Ankola). The restaurants are well lit and you can't miss them. The road is reasonably good.

Safety wise, the route is a heavy traffic route, so relatively safe. You can take a nap while parked at one of the all night restaurants along the route. Do not stop for pee break on the unknown roadside in the night. Instead use the restaurant rest rooms. Drive safely and you are covered.

If you were driving in daytime, then you could try the Bankapur - Mundgod - Yallapur road that is 50 kms shorter over Hubli route and also saves one hour travel time. But it's a NO for night driving as it's a single road with no signage and through forest area and it's monsoon season too.

Last edited by ashkamath : 25th July 2024 at 17:05.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 21:40   #6182

From a safety perspective, How does this route compare to the Hubli-Yellapur, if one drives at night with family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
That means the Anmod route, Chorla ghat etc all are out of reckoning as they are suitable if your destination is North Goa.
Old 25th July 2024, 22:14   #6183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajgir View Post
From a safety perspective, How does this route compare to the Hubli-Yellapur, if one drives at night with family?
From a safety perspective, Anmod and Chorla are quite safe for night driving with family. There's decent traffic on both these routes. The actual ghat section is very short and there are villages along the route. Both routes are safe.

However I have heard that Anmod some small section road is very bad and so is with Chorla ghat. Other than that they are safe to travel in night.

But again, I will chose these 2 routes only if my destination is North Goa such as Calangute, Baga, Candolim, Anjuna, Siolim, Morjim etc. For anything in South Goa such as Palolem I think Yallapur - Karwar route is better as it is shorter to destination and saves lot of time traversing through Goa from north to south.

Last edited by ashkamath : 25th July 2024 at 22:25.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks