Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2024, 18:11   #6151
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Made a trip to goa this weekend. Onwards I did Hubli-Dharwad-Chorla ghat - goa : Didn't like this route due to the bypass + the broken sections in the ghat roads

While returning I took the anmod ghat - castle rock - durg - tadas diversion and for a motorcyclist it's an excellent alternative, very less road deterioration and also skip the Hubli-Dharwad stretch. However not advisable for night driving as it is through hinterlands. But this will be my go to route next time to north goa.

Motorcycle: Bullet Std 350 CI.

Last edited by masterChief007 : 6th May 2024 at 18:14.
Old 8th May 2024, 18:16   #6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Hi, All. I have a route query for the seasoned Bangalore-Goa travelers. My friends and I are planning a road trip to Goa from Bangalore (E city) next Sat. Due to some constraints, we can only start at 11 am. I'm thinking of taking the Nice Road-Tumakuru-Davanagare-Hubli Bypass-Yellapur-Karwar-Panjim route with an overnight stay at Karwar.
I returned from this trip on 3rd May. Took the Tumakuru-Sira- Davanagare-Hubli Bypass-Yellapur-Karwar-Pollem routev for both onward and return. Hubli to Karwar route has been repaired and is easily navigable even at night. Would recommend this slightly longer yet more comfortable route for South Goa.

Last edited by navin : 8th May 2024 at 19:10. Reason: fixed broken tags and some punctuation
Old 17th May 2024, 11:31   #6153

Hello All,

I recently did a Bangalore(RT Nagar) to South Goa(Varca) and back. Thanks to all your inputs in this thread, was very helpful as always.

Travel Team - 4 adults and a lab.
Vehicle - Honda City - 5th Gen

Started at 11:30PM on 12th May, reached on 13th 11:30AM.

Route taken - Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Varca

Condition:
- Great roads till Bankapura.
- Bankapura - Mundgod - Roads are in ok shape.
- Mundgod - Yellapur - Roads have craters(Sedan ) and we were hoping Yellapur onwards roads will improve.
- Yellapur onwards - Good roads all the way till Varca.

Distance - 585 Kms. Mileage - 19.1 kmpl (Full tank to full tank)

Google Maps - https://maps.app.goo.gl/NJJCC3mc5Qea5yY36
-----------------------

On return, started at 10AM, reaching Bangalore fuss free (read 0 traffic) at 10PM yesterday - 16th May.

Route taken - Varca - Ankola - Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Tadas - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore

Condition:
- Great roads till Yellapur.
- Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Excellent roads, you will love driving.
- Kalaghatgi - Tadas - Good roads
- Tadas onwards - Great roads all the way till RT Nagar.

Distance - 605 Kms. Mileage - 18.3 kmpl (Full tank to full tank)

Google Maps - https://maps.app.goo.gl/8eiC31eDv8zcrusA9

------------

Synopsis - Any day Tadas - Kalaghatgi roads are better. Whole route was scenic and lot rains & green both ways.
sanjoyraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:16   #6154
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I travelled from Bangalore to Goa.

Started late in the day around 2pm, had a couple of work calls to attend on the way. Roads all the way till Belgavi are normal NH48, nothing specific about it.

I took Chorla route - drove between 9:45pm - 11-45pm on this Belgavi - Sanquelim section. The road is getting constructed on KA side, GA is good.

KA section is not in great shape compared to Anmod or Tilari. But it’s still faster, easy to reach and worth taking as my destination is within 80kms from Belgavi central! I had absolute fun driving through night and in my XUV7OO. Except a few places where the waterlogged potholes were seen, I did not have to crawl. Average 40-45kmph is easily possible. No trouble for the late night drive too - way too many trucks, cars on that section until early morning there!

Also, point to note - this is my usual home stretch, I know every turn and corner on this section like bank of my palm and hence no hesitation to drive here at any time of the day or night.

Cherry on cake - sighted the herd of Indian Gaur between Kankumbi and Chorla!

For the day time, I wouldn’t hesitate to take this route for sure if I am driving in SUV - the low slung sedans and cars with tiny tires may need super extra caution, especially after the rains.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:13   #6155
BHPian

We just got back from Goa (Benaulim) to Bangalore on May 20th.

Left hotel in Goa around 10am was home by 10pm with 3 stops.
Took the Benaulim - Madgaon - Ponda - Mollem - Ramnagar - Dharwad bypass - Hubli - Chitradurga - Bangalore route.

Most of this route is quite good, with nice roads.
3 SPEED CHECKS between Ponda and Mollem. From Mollem the road surface is bad in patches but you can maintain moderate speed. Its a forest zone anyways.
As earlier post points out Dharwad bypass to Hubli is quite bad. 2 way and has a lot of trucks. Tough to overtake.

Hubli to Bangalore was largely quite decent. Closer to Bangalore(last 200kms) had a lot of trucks , most likely since it was a Monday.
Old 6th June 2024, 12:48   #6156
BHPian

Hi,

I am travelling to Anjuna, next week in a sedan (Skoda Laura).

What is the best route for me?

Blr-Kalghatgi-Mollem-Anjuna or
Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Anjuna

If I take the first option should I go via Castlerock or Ramnagar?
Is the Castlerock road too narrow?
Or, do I avoid Castlerock and go via Ramnagar?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-via-castlerock.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-via-ramnagar.jpg  

Old 7th June 2024, 15:20   #6157

I'm not sure how those routes are, but I travelled from Panaji to Bangalore two weeks ago and this was the route I took. The roads were good then, only a few patches between Anmod and Ramnagar. It was smooth driving everywhere else.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20240607145959.png

This detour bypasses the bad sections near Anmod, and this is the only narrow stretch on the route.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20240607150227.png

Speeds didn't exceed 100 as my City is over 10 years old. We stopped twice for breaks, about half an hour each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Hi,

I am travelling to Anjuna, next week in a sedan (Skoda Laura).

What is the best route for me?

Blr-Kalghatgi-Mollem-Anjuna or
Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Anjuna

If I take the first option should I go via Castlerock or Ramnagar?
Is the Castlerock road too narrow?
Or, do I avoid Castlerock and go via Ramnagar?
nitro_xlr8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 11:28   #6158

Bangalore to Karwar Route Suggestions

I have an upcoming road trip planned from Bangalore to Karwar. I wanted to get some suggestions on the route to take. According to a few reviews, it was suggested to avoid the route recommended by Google Maps, especially after the Bankapur Toll Gate.

This is what the map shows now:

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20240617-11.25.488239am.png

Please guide , what would be best possible route as I would be riding a sedan(BMW 330 li)
Old 17th June 2024, 11:50   #6159
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Karwar Route Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiikmonk View Post
I have an upcoming road trip planned from Bangalore to Karwar. I wanted to get some suggestions on the route to take. According to a few reviews, it was suggested to avoid the route recommended by Google Maps, especially after the Bankapur Toll Gate.

Please guide , what would be best possible route as I would be riding a sedan(BMW 330 li)
For Karwar, the route is now quite nice and clear. Just drive all the way to Hubli. Just before Hubli toll plaza, there is a new bypass that directly connects to Hubli-Ankola road. Take that bypass on your left (watch Google Maps showing you the exact exit to this bypass - don't miss that).

And from there, you have all good roads all the way to Karwar now. The previously notorious bad stretches from Yellapur onwards are all fixed now! The roads are lovely. Still, there might be an occasional "new" surprise pothole here or there. So when driving the 330Li, you should always be careful and watching out for surprise potholes on any roads. Other than that usual precaution, there is nothing to worry. This road is beautiful now - scenic as well as smooth!

So don't take any shortcuts via Bankapur (those shortcuts with narrow roads and village traffic are just not worth it). Just go all the way to Hubli, take the bypass just before Hubli, and then drive all the way to Ankola and then to Karwar. Simple, easy and fast route that is! Have a good drive!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 17th June 2024 at 11:53.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 12:11   #6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
For Karwar, the route is now quite nice and clear.
====
Have a good drive!
Noted . Thanks for the suggestion. By any chance you would have the map location url for hubali toll

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th June 2024 at 12:13. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2024, 12:13   #6161
BHPian

Quote:
I have an upcoming road trip planned from Bangalore to Karwar.

Nope, the road from Bankapur - Mundgod - Yallapur is unsuitable for a low riding sedan such as BMW 330 li. This stretch is essentially a single lane passing through villages and forest area. The road is pretty rough too.

Instead, kindly opt for Bankapur - Hubli - Kalghatgi - Yallapur - Ankola - Karwar route. It's much better for a sedan.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 12:18   #6162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noted . Thanks for the suggestion. By any chance you would have the map location url for hubali toll
Here is the bypass highlighted in the map (note that Gabbur is where the old toll plaza is):

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-hublibypass.jpg

Take the bypass highlighted in blue color. That NH52 where this joins is the Hubli-Ankola road. That road is very good now.

Here is the Gmaps link for this bypass: https://maps.app.goo.gl/9h2XjqmNzfisvzNDA

Last edited by Dr.AD : 17th June 2024 at 12:44.
Dr.AD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 18:07   #6163

Just Completed a Goa - Bangalore - Goa trip From 26th June to 30th June. Details below .

Cars -
Hyryder Strong Hybrid
Innova Hycross

8 Adults (2 Senior Citizens ) - 1 Toddler , 2 Kids - Total Time 11.5 Hours with 2 breaks .

Started from Bellandur at 3 30 AM . Stopped for coffee at Chitradurga
You will hit Chitradurga before 7 AM and a lot of Restaurants do not start service by then so plan the stop accordingly . Moved ahead after a 30-40 min stop towards Hubli . Took the Hubli Dharwad Road as per Google Maps.
Next stop was at Big Mishra Peda between Hubli and Dharwad on the NH for 45 Minutes
Final Stop was at Goa - Candolim through Ramnagar - Ponda - Goa

Road Conditions
Bangalore to Tumkur was a breeze as i left at 3 30 AM No Traffic anywhere
Tumkur to Hubli - Fantastic Roads E2E except a couple of diversions - You can maintain 120+ speeds for extended period of time here
Hubli to Dharwad - 2 Lane roads - Hard to overtake or maintain speed but good roads.
Dharward to Ramnagar - Narrow roads through forest - Good condition - Can maintain 80+ speed as there is very less traffic - Hard to overtake .
Ramnagar - Ponda - The stretch is not that good ,its a 20-30 km stretch with may be 5 - 8 bad sections . There are a couple of places with very big potholes but nothing to worry about if you are in an SUV , even cars will do fine if you are careful.
Once you cross the Karnataka Goa Border roads are again great , not a single pot hole after the border on the Goa Side.

The Return Journey we took an overnight stop at Davangere ( WCT20 final match ) and left the next day . The traffic on Tumkur Bangalore road is quite heavy in the evening so you can even do a non stop from Goa to Bangalore and try to hit Bangalore late night to avoid it.
Key is leaving early as getting stuck in Bangalore traffic and Tumkur Traffic is something which will tire you very early .
The Hyryder gave a mielage of around 20 overall because there are sections where you go at 125+ for long and i have a very heavy foot else you can do 22 in it.
Ishan karan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 12:03   #6164

Hey all. I am new to Team BHP and one of the reasons for joining this forum was to get expert advice, which why I am asking my very first query here -

So we will be travelling to Goa from Bangalore in mid-August (the long weekend of 15th August to 18th August). I would prefer to travel in my good old super-trustworthy Xcent. Its 10 years old now but drives like a charm, no issues, no hassles even on long journeys! We recently did our second trip to Pondicherry in the Xcent, 300 kms+ and as expected, it didn't give any trouble. So while my preference is by car and I am driving for 10 years now, what I am not confident about is ghat roads. I understand there are couple of routes one can take from Bangalore to Goa (South Goa is where we are heading to), but what would be the best option to avoid ghat roads? Absolute zero ghat roads would be best, but if not possible, how can minimise the ghat road sections?

Also, how will be the roads in mid-August? Given that it might still continue to rain in August, how safe is it to travel 500 kms+ with a 7 year kid? Chances of water logging, roads getting washed away due to heavy rain, slippery roads, etc.?

Lookin forward to the experts to help me decide - whether to go ahead and plan the travel, or wait till rains recede.

Thanks in advance,
Ritam

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th July 2024 at 12:22.
Old 10th July 2024, 14:39   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswasin View Post
Hey all. I am new to Team BHP and one of the reasons for joining this forum was to get expert advice, which why I am asking my very first query here
====
Lookin forward to the experts to help me decide - whether to go ahead and plan the travel, or wait till rains recede.
For piece of mind in peak rainy season and considering low GC of your car I recommend following route
Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Irrespective of your destination of north or south Goa I prefer this road in rainy season. The ghat is not a heavy one, roads in Goa are buttersmooth and other ghats are not recommended in rainy season for low GC cars. This route is a bit longer but with less anxiety while driving.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th July 2024 at 18:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks