Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2023, 22:54   #5956

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
I will be travelling on August 10th from Bangalore to Goa.

I am planning to take the Anmod route while going and Karwar route while coming back.

From the posts it looks like the anmod route is BAD for around 30-40 mins but apart from that its OK and ghat section is scenic as well.

I have a comparatively high GC car so don't mind taking this route.

Also, the Karwar route is also it seems not without its own set of problems.

Any thoughts are welcome.
You could go for it with a good ground clearance car but it's just getting worse with every spell of rain. I would recommend that stretch is best avoided until the rains slow down.
Albatroz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 09:42   #5957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatroz View Post
You could go for it with a good ground clearance car but it's just getting worse with every spell of rain. I would recommend that stretch is best avoided until the rains slow down.
You have put doubt in my mind

As @chorispao mentioned, the Karwar route is also not bed of roses a few posts earlier, I was then thinking of taking the smaller route.

I am going to North Goa so from that perspective also the Anmod route looked more logical.
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:11   #5958
BHPian

Quote:
I will be travelling on August 10th from Bangalore to Goa.
Maybe I will start posting this daily :-).

Please take the Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa route, even if you are going to North Goa. Several posts have validated this approach. Being logical does not work in our country...do whats best for you.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 09:01   #5959
BHPian

Got to Blore via Anmod last night by KSRTC Airavath. Departed Panjim at 1915 and was at Jalahalli Cross at 0545, 10.5hrs with a half hour break It's slush all the way in the 12km 'adventure' stretch, puddles etc. and it wasn't even raining! This would be really adventurous if the rains set in! So for a hassle free drive, Karwar is the preferred option for now. For those familiar with Anmod and with patience, this stretch can be done too. Again via Anmod is the fastest way to North Goa and Karwar to South Goa.

#Tourist season is lean now and expect it to peak at the Independence weekend.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th August 2023 at 16:35. Reason: minor spacing
chorispao is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 09:30   #5960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Maybe I will start posting this daily :-).

Please take the Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa route, even if you are going to North Goa. Several posts have validated this approach. Being logical does not work in our country...do whats best for you.
How's the Bankapur - Mungod - Yellapur stretch? It used to be a narrow but scenic route with average roads going through some villages l, 11 years ago when I took it. Gmap is suggesting to take this shortcut and thereby, save 60 km/1 hr time.

Also Kalaghatgi - Hubbali had some patches of repairs going on, when I travelled last year. Is this stretch better now?
Old 3rd August 2023, 09:45   #5961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How's the Bankapur - Mungod - Yellapur stretch? It used to be a narrow but scenic route with average roads going through some villages l, 11 years ago when I took it. Gmap is suggesting to take this shortcut and thereby, save 60 km/1 hr time.

Also Kalaghatgi - Hubbali had some patches of repairs going on, when I travelled last year. Is this stretch better now?
I would avoid the shortcut of Bankapur Mungod Yellapura. You really do not save much time taking this to reach Yellapura. This would be true when NH48 was expanded to 6 lane and Bankapura Hubli stretch had diversions. Today there are no diversions and its all 6 lane and the other reason is you no longer need to go all the way to Hubli circle, enter Hubli-Dharwad bypass to access NH52 for Yellapura/Ankola. Instead, the new interchange comes up a couple of km before Hubli circle where you exit NH48 and merge onto NH-52, 7 km ahead!

After this, the WIP section is so short that you will not even realize when you cross it. Then, the Kalhatgi town itself has a road with a median now that its quicker to pass.
1. Bankapura Hubli Yellapura Ankola - 186 km, 3h33m as per google
2. Bankapura Mungod Yellapura Ankola - 136 km, 3h06m as per google
Reality - You will gain an easy 15-20 minutes over google maps estimate when you take the Hubli Kalghatgi route but you may hardly gain 5 mins on Mungod route.

I have driven to Goa (and Karwar) twice in the month of March and April and I would vouch for the longer route only due to the efficiency factor. Also remember that the Hubli route will be less stressful too.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:54   #5962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
It's slush all the way in the 12km 'adventure' stretch, puddles etc. and it wasn't even raining! This would be really adventurous if the rains set in! So for a hassle free drive, Karwar is the preferred option for now. For those familiar with Anmod and with patience, this stretch can be done too. Again via Anmod is the fastest way to North Goa and Karwar to South Goa.
Looks like via Karwar it is then.

Was looking to test my ScorpioN on the 'adventure' stretch but if its slush all the way then I will give it a pass.

Maybe next time.
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:18   #5963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How's the Bankapur - Mungod - Yellapur stretch?....
/u/paragsachania has beautifully summarized the things. Again, we shouldnt be logical but practical. Just because a map says its a shortcut, dont think it would work out in your favor. There are lots of associated costs.

For people taking Bankapura road, the hassles are not worth it.

People who take Anmod route are overlooking the annoyance that happens on Hubli-Dharward 2 lane road, and careless drivers causing extreme discomfort beyond Dharwad, not to mention the "adventure" aspects.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th August 2023 at 16:35. Reason: minor spacing
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 10:31   #5964
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like via Karwar it is then.

Was looking to test my ScorpioN on the 'adventure' stretch but if its slush all the way then I will give it a pass.

Maybe next time.
I am on the same boat or rather car

I researched so much in last year August before leaving from Bangalore and due to the pathetic condition Anmod was in, opted for the Bangalore - Haveri - Mundgod - Yellapur - Karwar - North Goa route. I was going in Vento, so I didn't risk taking those bad roads in Anmod. I wished if I had an SUV, I would have glided over those potholes.

Now things have changed & I have a 3 month old Scorpio N. So as a revenge, I wanted to take the Anmod route and see how bad it can be But looking at the posts above, I think it's better to be practical and take the Hubli Karwar route. I will be travelling on 12th August, so considering the long weekend if there is a block, the Anmod ghat stretch might have longer delays.

Last edited by DheerajNK : 4th August 2023 at 10:33.
DheerajNK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:03   #5965
BHPian

I have travelled multiple times on Anmod route in sedan and SUv and didn't face much issues, sedan I had to be really cautious but manageable, it was much better than Chorla ghat route which had huge and deep potholes.

Anmod route is definitely doable in an SUV, the really bad sections are just a few unless very deep potholes have suddenly developed. The road is also under completion now after the cases were vacated (hopefully within next year?)
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 12:00   #5966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DheerajNK View Post
I am on the same boat or rather car

I researched so much in last year August before leaving from Bangalore and due to the pathetic condition Anmod was in, opted for the Bangalore - Haveri - Mundgod - Yellapur - Karwar - North Goa route. I was going in Vento, so I didn't risk taking those bad roads in Anmod. I wished if I had an SUV, I would have glided over those potholes.

Now things have changed & I have a 3 month old Scorpio N. So as a revenge, I wanted to take the Anmod route and see how bad it can be But looking at the posts above, I think it's better to be practical and take the Hubli Karwar route. I will be travelling on 12th August, so considering the long weekend if there is a block, the Anmod ghat stretch might have longer delays.
I need to go to Ponda and Anmod/mollem is the shortest route. I am travelling on 12th as well and if I can do it on my Corolla, I bet your Scorpio N won't disappoint you either.
Old 6th August 2023, 12:06   #5967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatroz View Post
Trip Report:( Bangalore-Goa) I traveled to Goa, Nerul on 29th July from Bangalore with my family. Drove a Altroz petrol. We took the Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad-Anmod-Nerul route. We started from KR Puram at 4:50 am. Next, we stopped at Apoorva Resorts for breakfast . The road condition after Nagasandra for the next half an hour or so is poor with potholes appearing out of nowhere. Eventually, the road conditions get better on NH48.
After Apoorva Resorts, which is close to Davangere, we drove straight to Goa with just a couple of quick stops including a petrol refill. Traffic between Hubbali and Dharwad on the two lane road was decent and not heavy. We went through that stretch without too much trouble.
However all things said, the stretch after turning left from Dharwad, I guess close to Anmod, for about 10-15 Kms is really really bad. Since it had rained heavily for last week, all the potholes were filled with water and it was really difficult to judge the depth and navigate. Thankfully we made it through safely with a full car, but I wouldn't do that route again until those craters are repaired. It's just not worth it.
As soon as we crossed the Goa border, the roads magically became really good. It was a really good drive down the ghats. We finally reached out Airbnb in Nerul at 3:50 pm making it a total duration of 11 hours and drive time of 10 hours. Next time I'd definitely stay in South Goa and take the Karwar route.
Hope this helps all those who will travel soon to Goa.
Goa to Bangalore
We started back from Goa on 3rd August. The return
leg we decided to take it easy and break up the journey. Stopped for a quick breakfast at Panjim and then headed towards Karwar for lunch. It was a brisk 2 hour 20 min drive. Very good roads throughout but bit of traffic at Margaon.
We enjoyed some delicious seafood at Hotel Amrut, Karwar and headed towards Hubli for our night halt. We took the Ankola - Yellapur road. I am glad I took this route instead of Anmod on my way back. This was for most parts, a joy to drive. As someone mentioned earlier, there are quite a few sections where the road is "rutted" but nothing close to as bad as Anmod ghat roads. One can maintain an average speed of 70-80 kmph throughout. Lots of Oil Tankers and Trucks on this route, which were easy to overtake considering traffic was sparse due to off season time.
We reached Hubli by tea time and checked in to our hotel for a night's rest. Next morning we started from Hubli post breakfast and stopped only once on the way post Chitradurga for lunch.
Finally, based on the recent travel, I would advice the adventurous kind with good ground clearance vehicles can try Anmod route. But, if you have a sedan/hatchback and don't want to take a chance of falling into a unknown pothole (possibly damaging your car) then please take the Karwar route as it is a joy to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_2023080610163976_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg  

Albatroz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 10:21   #5968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Hello,

I am planning a trip to North Goa (Candolim to be precise) 11-15th August. Appreciate if you could update post your 29th July trip.

I am considering the following three routes as per Google estimate.

1. Bangalore - Hubli - Belagavi - Mulgoan - Calangute (640 KM, 11.5 hrs)

2. Bangalore - Hubli - Anmod - Calangute (620 KM, 11.5 hrs)

3. Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Calangute (645 KM, 12.5 hrs)

I am driving a Skoda Superb ......
Hi folks,

Thanks for all those who shared their recent experience.
I planning to take rounte-1 (via Belagavi) for onward journey and route-3 for return. Just wanted to try different route.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen much updates on route-1, any inputs will be highly appreciated.
Old 7th August 2023, 11:00   #5969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks for all those who shared their recent experience.
I planning to take rounte-1 (via Belagavi) for onward journey and route-3 for return. Just wanted to try different route.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen much updates on route-1, any inputs will be highly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
Drove Bangalore - North Goa and back over the weekend in the 330i.

Bangalore - Belgaum:

Between Davanagere and Hubli there are exactly two detours, so if you are driving in the night, keep and eye out as the road just before the diversion is bad.

Hubli to Belgaum is perfectly fine, just that the 30KM stretch initially is single lane with trucks crawling at really slow speeds.

Belgaum to North Goa (Mapusa)

- Through Amboli (recommended): I took this route in my onward journey - the roads are average with some bad patches. Definitely manageable even with 18" low profile tyres as long as you keep an eye on the speedo. Longer road, by about 25 KMs or so but the best road to get to north Goa from Belgaum.

If you are driving from Bangalore to north Goa, you have to choose between the slow drive through Amboli or go through Ankola - Karwar and South Goa. Driving through South Goa is a pain in itself so the Belgaum - Amboli route may be a better option.
A few pages back there was mention of the Bangalore-Belagavi-North Goa route but after that no one else mentioned it.

As per HighRevving, people visiting North Goa should prefer Belagavi route.

Check post number 5799 of this thread.

I am not sure what is the status of that route at this time.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 17:05   #5970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I need to go to Ponda and Anmod/mollem is the shortest route. I am travelling on 12th as well and if I can do it on my Corolla, I bet your Scorpio N won't disappoint you either.
We have an Octavia joining us now & we have 3 kids below 5 in the group So just to be on the safer side, we have decided to take the Karwar route, that too with a stop over in Haveri. I will post my updates once we reach Goa.

Thanks,
Dheeraj
DheerajNK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks