Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2023, 22:00   #5881
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Will be travelling to Goa from Bangalore on 21st Feb. Planning to take the Hubli>Dharward>Anmod route. Want to take the quickest/shortest route.
If someone has recently taken this route please share the road feedback. I believe lot of road construction ongoing in this route.

What other route can be taken as alternative which will be faster & better from road conditions perspective. Travelling on Creta with wife & 2 kids.
Refer my comment below with alternates . Hubli--Dharwad-- Anmod Ghat road is still fastest (if not with most peace of mind ) with 11-14 km of adventure and dusty ride. Alternative as in my original comment is to take castlerock detour. It's narrow but with more peace of mind and with a Creta would be no fuss. Adds around 15-18 km but with 10 min extra time.

If you want to avoid wannabe Lewis Hamiltons - Yellapur - Karwar - Goa is far better. Provided you are heading towards south side of Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
Did the Blr-Goa last Sat -
The usual rigor from Nelamangala till after Tumkur. After that its sweetest drive till Hubli Bypass but with lot of race track wannabes.

From Hubli bypass Dharwad is again heavy truck and 2-lane issues - At times might make whole Project planning to be done for overtaking series of 10 trucks with slowest in the lead and Cars drivers showing amazing overtaking skill set especially when it least expected to do that maneuver... what a challenging Emotional Stability we see at times.

Anyways , take left from Dharwad bypass- I still don't understand why there is Toll booth there for completely broken road ahead - Might be for the bad patch we just have passed ....

Ramnagar to Anmod is in bad shape- So I took left for the Castlerock road - The road is really nice, but was stopped at 4 places by local kids (6 - 16 year age) carrying long tree branch and asking for money.... I learnt that honling continuously and not rolling down window makes them move quickly... Some Village level extortion going on here- So please keep that in mind. And I am pretty sure they are going to get bolder as more and more private vehicles start passing. Roads are narrow on places and I had to back up for 10 mtrs twice to let other vehicle pass. Almost no signal for 15 kms with Forest drive - Please keep offline map downloaded for the area if taking this route.

Time saving is there, but not advisable to be done early morning or late evening.
Quote:
Did Blr to Goa and Hyd to Goa 3 times in last 5 months and below is comparison as per different routes.

1) Anmod Ghat- as in Quoted reply above- the ramnagar to anmod remains bad but lot of people use it and is manageable with caution. Travelled 4 times and took Castlerock detour 3 times (details in quoted reply above) - it is scenic, better road, time-saving, not good for folks with motion sickness, narrow road, no signal

3) Returned to Bangalore via Ankola-Yellapur.
With slightly longer modified one - Goa --> Karwar-->Ankola--> Yellapur-->Kalaghatgi --> Tadas--> Kunnur --> NH 48 after Tadas-Kalaghatgi bypass.

Overall , having gone through 3 major inwards/outwards from Goa- I would recommend 1st - Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-NH48-Benagalore , 2nd - Goa-Pollem-Castle Rock-Ramnagar-Dharwar-Hubli-NH48-Bangalore , 3rd - Take a sea ferry, 4th- If no other chance take Chorla Ghat road to belgaum

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th February 2023 at 08:35. Reason: Minor typos and formatting.
rustyg is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st February 2023, 13:38   #5882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Refer my comment below with alternates . Hubli--Dharwad-- Anmod Ghat road is still fastest (if not with most peace of mind ) with 11-14 km of adventure and dusty ride. Alternative as in my original comment is to take castlerock detour.
If you want to avoid wannabe Lewis Hamiltons - Yellapur - Karwar - Goa is far better. Provided you are heading towards south side of Goa.
Traveled last weekend to Goa

Belgaum to Khanapur new 4 lane high way has opened.

Khanapur to Ramnagar work is going on with lot of diversions and had to drive on gravel and under construction stretches took close to 45 mins.

Ramnagar to Anmod

Some areas road work is going on .For about 12 kms there is diversions and pot holes but can be driven no issues .I was driving very early in the morning but still had traffic.Almost 70 percent of the road is concrete surface. Once we enter into Goa state roads are excellent in the ghats.

Mollem to Piliem should drive less than 60 kms speed .Got caught by a speed gun on this stretch. On the whole trip had to show my car papers thrice so have to keep PUC ,RC ,Driving License , Insurance papers. Fine is quite heavy.

On the return came via Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli.
Two lane highway lots of undulation but most of it is tarred stretch .Very minimal potholes. Ghat section is a pleasure to drive

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st February 2023 at 13:45.
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:10   #5883
BHPian

Dear Tribe,
Driving down with couple of friends to Palolem next week.
Will be finishing work and leaving late afternoon at around 3 PM, from Electronic City.
Vehicle - Hyundai Creta 1.5 SX IVT

We decide to stop at Hubbali for a overnight halt.
I need suggestion on a decent place to sleep overnight - will need neat rooms, safe parking and AC would be a plus. (for now have shortlisted Metropolis Hotel, Koppikar Rd)
Planning to reach by 9 PM or so and have dinner at the famous Basaveshwar Khanavali at Chennamma Circle.

In our earlier visits - we have always taken Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem route ; so this time since we will be halting at Hubli - I plan to try the other route via Hubli - Haliyal - Dandeli - Joida - Anshi National Park - Karwar - Palolem.

PLEASE GUIDE IF THIS WOULD BE SAFE ENOUGH TO TRY and HOW ARE THE ROAD CONDITIONS THAT WE CAN EXPECT ??

Any other recommendation/suggestions/best practices are most welcome.

Thank You!
Old 22nd February 2023, 13:06   #5884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
so this time since we will be halting at Hubli - I plan to try the other route via Hubli - Haliyal - Dandeli - Joida - Anshi National Park - Karwar - Palolem.
For this route, this place is ideal - Ramya Residency https://goo.gl/maps/j33uH1w8MHKF9zxM6
It is on the highway and no detour is required to enter either of the twin cities.
Traffic is sparse in Dandeli - Joida - Anshi, roads are good in most stretches, and would recommend driving during the day to enjoy the scenery.

In case you can't leave earlier than 3 PM, Davanagere is the ideal stop (10 PM), and here is a good place - Srigandha Residency, https://goo.gl/maps/K3hngjPhB1T7KLXF6
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 15:31   #5885

Hi,

Driving to Vagator from Bangalore in a BMW 3 next week. I have been to Goa before through the Belgaum Chorla route in a Polo with just 2 people. But the floor is lower this time with a longer car the may hit potholes.

There are 3 people and their bags for 4 days. What road would you suggest we take?
Old 27th February 2023, 02:14   #5886
BHPian

Had been to Goa starting 21st Feb & return on 25th on Creta IVT. Took the standard route Hubbali-Ramnagar-Anmod. The roads are pretty good except for few bad patched between Ramnagar & Anmod. But these are no so bad that someone needs to take a detour. Only at some places the roads are under construction or existing road is damaged but I could see all sorts of vehicles passing through (Alto to BMWs).
So I would say who ever wants the short route this is still the best.

While going did a halt in Ramya Residency which is bang on the highway and we can avoid entering the city & save some time. Hotel is decent budget hotel with AC rooms. Surprisingly staff was very cooperative. Suggestion - Booking room directly is cheaper than the online portals. Food in the restaurant was good. There is a small Mishra Peda company outlet right in front of the hotel which sells fresh Dharwad Pedas.

While returning on 25th due to some bridge/road construction, had to take a detour through Mugad village (right after The Woods Restaurant). People taking this route in coming days might have to face small detours.

Thing to be noted - In this route once the ghat section is over (just before Mollem) the roads are pretty smooth and everyone tends to speed up but there are signage of 60Kmph speed limit and on a quick turn there will be traffic policemen hiding with speed guns. Got a gift of 1k fine. So please be extra careful and slow.
Being with family no one stopped me for any checking of vehicle or papers.
dextor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 19:31   #5887
BHPian

Travelled back to Bangalore from Gokarna via Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur - Haveri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore last week. The roads between Yellapur and Bankapur is totally in a worst possible stage. Whoever is planning to travel to Gokarna or South Goa via Yellapur, I would suggest to take Hubli - Yellapur road than via Mundgod.
Old 7th March 2023, 14:02   #5888
BHPian

The hotel name is Hill View. This is on a right handed curve (if coming from Hubli side) about 10 kms after taking the left turn from Hubli-Dharwad bypass.

I have eaten here couple of times. Have always found it decently occupied (saw a few locals as well) so I think it doesnt have a negative reputation food quality wise in the neighbourhood.

The food is pretty okay, though its slightly on the spicy side. Overall, I would mark it as a decent food stop option for families. The washrooms are nothing to talk about, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

I forgot the name but there is one not so great hotel on the road from Dharwad to Ramnagar(Is it Mayur or Hill view or something? I never stop there so cannot comment on anything). BHPians, please confirm. That will buy some more time for you to have enough digestion of your breakfast before lunch.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 16th March 2023, 07:58   #5889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
This appeared in the O Herald Dec 22, 2022. The issue of stray cattle on the NH section from Mollem to Ponda is a matter of concern with many accidents and loss of life. For those cruising especially at night, do slow down in this stretch.
This appeared in the O Herald Mar 16, 2023. The speed limit of 60kmph does need make sense too!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-oheraldogoa1678932975.jpeg  

chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:11   #5890
BHPian

Planning to drive from BLR-North Goa early morning with a breakfast break at DVG for the famous Benne Dose.
Which is a better route via Ramnagar (6hr35min) or via Khanapur (7hr10min) from DVG?
Old 28th March 2023, 16:44   #5891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshsm12 View Post
Planning to drive from BLR-North Goa early morning with a breakfast break at DVG for the famous Benne Dose.
Which is a better route via Ramnagar (6hr35min) or via Khanapur (7hr10min) from DVG?
Are you staring tomorrow coz I am starting at 5 from Yelahanka and headed to Benaulim. I am also interested to know which is the fastest route.

Can you share the google location of DVG? Any other breakfast options between Chitradurga and Davangere?
Old 28th March 2023, 20:44   #5892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can you share the google location of DVG? Any other breakfast options between Chitradurga and Davangere?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hEYVKmMBgShPZviB6 Sri Guru Kottureshwara Butter Dosa Hotel
Apoorva Resorts is another which I have heard of.
Yes, starting tomorrow at 4. Not sure of the fastest route though...waiting for others to reply
maheshsm12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 09:28   #5893
BHPian

Via Ramnagar is fastest. A 12km stretch between Anmod and Ramnagar is deplorable. Rest is all good to go!
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 23:47   #5894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Are you staring tomorrow coz I am starting at 5 from Yelahanka and headed to Benaulim. I am also interested to know which is the fastest route.

Hi
Planning goa for the weekend from bangalore north. Could you share your inputs on the route and how long it took to reach and update on the road conditions?
Old 30th March 2023, 21:58   #5895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post
Hi
Planning goa for the weekend from bangalore north. Could you share your inputs on the route and how long it took to reach and update on the road conditions?
I started from Yelahanka at 5 am in the morning and reached Goa at 2 pm with 2 halts totaling 45 mins covering 605 kms till Benaulim in Goa. The breakfast halt was at Apoorva resorts and the tea break was at Hill View hotel on the Dharwad - Ramnagar stretch. Roads till Dharwad are very good with a couple of diversions after Davangere. Look out for the trailers carrying the wind bill blades, they tend to slow down the traffic. The pain starts after Dharwad with broken roads at regular stretches, 2 railway crossings, unimaginable bad roads between Ramnagar and start of Anmod ghat where chances of car mechanicals getting damaged are high if one is not careful and alert. Most of the stretches are concretized however the drops from concrete road to bad roads is the one that needs to be maneuvered carefully. Add to that the amount of dust which gets blown during those stretches is one to watch out for. Even when driving an SUV like Harrier some stretches took me by surprise and tested my driving skill. Once Anmod ghat starts it is smooth road all the way till inside of Goa.

I spent 20 mins at each railway crossing FYI.

Apoorva resort is Ok for breakfast and the Benne dosa is Okayish, nothing really great to write about. Alternate breakfast stop can be thought of. Hill View hotel is nothing worth stopping for, again an alternate can be thought of. Local Google Parag Sachania suggested Hotel Royal Palace but it was too early after the breakfast halt hence skipped it. This can be tried.

Immediately after Anmod ghat ends, there are Goa cops waiting with speed guns. I was caught overspeeding at 82 in a 60 speed zone. The cops said there is a fine which I agreed to pay by CC and not cash. They tried entering my BH reg in their system but they couldn't as their system wasn't updated to accept BH reg. After few calls and lots of futile attempts to enter the reg no, they failed and allowed to me go. I should have clicked the expression on their faces which was priceless. Another advantage of BH registration.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by ghodlur : 30th March 2023 at 22:01.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks