Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 11:08   #5851
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
Jokes aside, yes it indeed is no way to drive, and is a nightmare esp in a sedan. Everytime I am on that route, I stop at Ramnagar, chomp on some batata vadas and check with the locals on whats the hold up etc, its always the same story - somebody filed a PIL on environmental causes/payments to previous contractor delayed yada yada.

Its a tragedy that such beautiful landscape (the jungle section for example) is marred by inconsistent and poor driving experience (including the absolute morons overtaking on blind turns). And this time, there were more such morons in private KA/GA cars than the commercial vehicles.
So I finally decided to drive back via Ankola, Karwar and Yellapur. Left Majorda by around 6.30. While others have been complaining about the drive upto Hubli, I actually found this much more relaxing and stress free. Possibly more because the time that we left Goa, I guess. Had virtually no traffic upto Ankola.

Was not stopped for any checking at the border by either the Goa or KA cops, so was relieved.

Ankola to Kalaghatgi thanks to the 2 exhaustive accounts and instructions below, I actually had no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

Well, the incidence with my car's tyre happened about 72km before Karwar, or about 25km after Yellapur.

However, please do not depend on that. Please watch out for these potholes in the entire route, including NH48. Especially so because new potholes are emerging overnight given the heavy rains we had this year.

I my recent drives, all on the known and usual roads, I was shocked to see so many "new" potholes (and many of those seriously dangerous) emerging overnight on the otherwise known good roads. Some of the roads I drove on are at their worst condition in last 10 years that I have been driving on these roads. So just be careful everywhere no matter where you are driving now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahN00b View Post
(Little late update since my membership was still getting approved &#128513

Did Bangalore to Goa via Tumkuru, Hubballi, Yellapur, Ankola, Palolem, Morjim on Oct 29, and took the same route back on Oct 31.

Hubballi to Yellapur is a sweet drive, but you'll have to be paying attention to surprise potholes. I got caught in a pickle while overtaking someone on this stretch on my return trip - consequently had to go through the pothole and suffer a burst tyre

Attachment 2379971
Yellow represents surprise potholes stretch, Red represents bad patches which may force you to a crawl

- Yellapur to Ankola - I'd call this a very bad but navigable stretch. Can crawl through the bad patches in a low slung sedan; the key is patience and forgeting about the Tumkuru - Hubballi stretch you were on 1-2 hours ago. Be wary of folks coming the wrong way because they were trying to avoid a bad patch on their side of the road.
I kept a steady pace not more than 60 to 80 depending on the stretch. Also kept atleast 3 to 4 car lengths to any vehicle in front. This gave me sufficient time to react to the issues with the roads.

The only issue I had in this stretch was thanks to Gmaps. After Kalaghatgi it diverted me onto the State Highway. It was my mistake that I confused this turn off with the one mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Also, there is a new bypass around Hubli, from NH48 to join the Karwar road bypassing the town and the toll plazza. Google Maps will show you this road once you reach very close to Hubli (before that, Google Maps will keep telling you the shortcuts to Kalaghatagi, but best to ignore those). Take this new bypass and it is a easy and safe access to Karwar road.
The SH was a narrow road through villages with a fair no of potholes, roadwork diversions. By the time I realized my mistake it would have been far too much of a waste of time to come back, so went on. Was so relieved when I saw the NH.

Barring this and the horrible stretch of road once you reach Tumkur where potholes and bad roads seem to be norm rather than a highway. The drive was really a breeze.
Bailey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 11:38   #5852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Now having slept over this experience of mine a couple of times, I have decided to give my money to airlines for Goa trips rather than to my FNG and family physician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Morons are morons anytime of the year. I have driven during May, October and in December, and have seen the same behaviour - though the volumes are lower. Please note that my comments are valid only for Bangalore-Goa drives.

Also, your observations on places in Goa is spot on. This time, I also saw that driving and reaction aggression is increasing. Speeds humps have popped up everywhere. You can count 20+ speed breakers between Dabolim and Varca. Most of them are not marked, which wasnt the case before. Food prices in decent restaurants have beaten Bangalore prices. Steadily everything is going downhill. I guess Goa has left 5-10 years more before its fully "integerated" into India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
More than the drive, I think it's the time of the year. The Christmas-New Year week is pretty much the worst time to visit Goa. Too many people seem to think this is the only place to ring in the new year, and anything goes. Places are crowded, expensive, the crowd has gotten steadily worse over the years, both in terms of size and behavior. And while the government and the locals always complain in the papers, the people making money on the ground enure that absolutely nothing is really done to discourage the kind of tourist behavior that is really not welcome in any state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
This is my exact decision going ahead. Couple of other friends of mine also have decided the same. I think we may have just done our last long trip from Bangalore.

Its not worth driving to Goa. Please fly (if you can).
Unfortunately for us there are no direct flights from Kerala to Goa so driving seems to be the only option. Plus the added luxury of having your own familiar transportation while in Goa. The roads in Kerala all the way upto Kasargod are worse and a nightmare. Driving via Bangalore is more relaxing.

The traffic situation in Goa especially around the Zuari bridge is a nightmare this time of the year.

Methinks we need to start a new thread Rants on Goa traffic
Bailey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 14:37   #5853
BHPian

The Zuari bridge is sorted as of Dec 30. Margao - Panjim is just a 30-35 min affair with traffic getting held up at the Verna junction. Another year to go for the second bridge to get completed. A lot of work does remain from Margao - Canacona with road widening works yet to commence.

For those headed to North Goa & South Goa, Anmod & Karwar are respectively still the fastest routes from Hubli/Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230105-2.27.16-pm.jpeg  

chorispao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 14:50   #5854

Thanks to all the inputs, I did my maiden 500km+ drive from Bengaluru to South Goa
Did it in slightly under 11 hours (5AM From Yelahanka- 345PM at Cavelossim) on 24th Dec

Route was as suggested by bhpians -
Yelahanka - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubbali - Dharwad - Anmod - Mollem - Cavelossim

On NH48 till Hubbali, it was a breeze. Maintaining an avg of 120kmph was not an issue.
Between Hubbali and Dharwad on Madras Bombay Trunk road, a stretch of 27km was a nightmare purely because no one followed lane discipline. Avg speed was 25-20kmph

The drive is sheer joy once you reach the ghat road purely for the scenic beauty. Worth every minute spent on the road. few stretches were really bad with potholes and unpaved segments though, so it is better to cover it before dark.

While coming back, we were stopped twice for checking since my wife and daughter were in the backseat and not visible. Upon seeing them we were asked to leave promptly
Old 6th January 2023, 07:20   #5855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
The Zuari bridge is sorted as of Dec 30. Margao - Panjim is just a 30-35 min affair with traffic getting held up at the Verna junction. Another year to go for the second bridge to get completed. A lot of work does remain from Margao - Canacona with road widening works yet to commence.
That's a real blessing. Was stuck for close to 2 hours on both the 27th & the 28th.
Will make life easier now to those travelling via this area.
Old 6th January 2023, 08:29   #5856
BHPian

Quick update on the chorla ghat route for North Goa - Bangalore.
We did this route on 1st Jan

Route: Mapusa - Sanquelim - Chorla - Khanpur - Dastikopa - Hubli - Bangalore

Why: easy exit from North Go without heading towards Panjim. Give it was the new year weekend, inwanted to avoid narrow internal goa roads.

Condition: overall route condition is quite good. Road surface is great except for about 20-30 kms in Chorla, after you enter the Karnataka side. Goa roads were narrow but brilliant surface and quite empty.
Karnataka part of Chorla has sudden swimming pool sized craters which need careful manoeuvring. Some sections might be tough with a sedan. Was slow but manageable and we didn’t bottom out at all in our CSUV(X1). Post the ghat section, there are a few nice eateries as you come close to khanpur.

I feel GMaps misguided me from khanpur town to the NH48 highway. Took me through narrow town roads. There should be some alternate route for this section.
Took us 5 hours from mapusa to hubli including 2 stops(lunch and quick break), 6.5 hours from Hubli to Bangalore including breakfast and a breather.

PS: Note on pet friendly hotels.
We could not find much. Stayed the night at ‘smartstay hubli’. Convinient apartments and were pet friendly.
Also, stopped at Apoorva resorts(Blr-hubli side) near Davanagere for breakfast. Lovely place with gardens, ample parking and nice benne dosa.
Old 21st January 2023, 12:18   #5857

Hello,

I am planning for my first long roadtrip by car and will be taking the below route suggested by Google maps to North Goa.

Bengaluru -> Tumkur->Hiriyur->Chitradurga->Davangere->Ranebennur->Haveri-> Hubballi->Dharwad->alnavar->Ramnagar->Mollem->Ponda->Panaji.

Can you please help me with the below :

1. What is the current status of this route ? How is the ghat section.

2. I plan to start early around 4 AM in Bangalore and have breakfast at Apoorva resort ( Davangere). Can you please recommend place for lunch on the way ? ( Don't want to deviate from NH).

Aplogies for naive questions. This is my first long trip so want to be sure.
Old 21st January 2023, 20:09   #5858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgeorgian View Post
1. What is the current status of this route ? How is the ghat section.

2. I plan to start early around 4 AM in Bangalore and have breakfast at Apoorva resort ( Davangere). Can you please recommend place for lunch on the way ? ( Don't want to deviate from NH).
No issues on the NH, but check for some deep potholes near Tumkur. I don't have latest data on the potholes. You can cruise at 110-120kmph until Haveri-Hubli with some exceptions but check for speed guns. Speed limit is 100kmph at many places but just be watchful for any exceptions and don't get caught for overspeedig. The fine amounts are touching the skies now. Anmod ghat, some 8KMs are not great since work is incomplete. Sections of concrete and tar try to meet each other with deep crators, but manageable. All that after Ramnagar though towards Anmod. You will enjoy butter smooth tar roads in ghat as soon as you enter Goa. What car are you driving? Higher GC is always welcome.
There is one Ganesh Hotel before Hubli on left side of NH, you can try that for lunch, however after eating breakfast at Apoorva you will reach this hotel in a couple of hours, so have a light one at Apoorva.
I forgot the name but there is one not so great hotel on the road from Dharwad to Ramnagar(Is it Mayur or Hill view or something? I never stop there so cannot comment on anything). BHPians, please confirm. That will buy some more time for you to have enough digestion of your breakfast before lunch.

Enjoy your trip!!

Last edited by rajivtelang : 21st January 2023 at 20:15.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:56   #5859

Approaching from the south(Udupi), which is the best route to Bicholim?
Should I go on Madgaon-Panjim-Mapusa route or should I take a deviation from Madgaon and avoid Panjim?
I will be driving a sedan
Old 24th January 2023, 11:18   #5860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRaptor View Post
Approaching from the south(Udupi), which is the best route to Bicholim?
Should I go on Madgaon-Panjim-Mapusa route or should I take a deviation from Madgaon and avoid Panjim?
I will be driving a sedan
The Madgaon-Panjim route is faster than the Ponda route. There is a scenic route too via a ferry crossing at Ribandar to Chorao Island. If time is on your side, do try it for the real Goan Landscape.
chorispao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 11:21   #5861
BHPian

Driving to South Goa from Bangalore tomorrow(26th Jan). Any route suggestions or updates? Is anyone else driving from Bangalore for the long weekend?
Old 25th January 2023, 11:44   #5862
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to/from Goa on Jan 20/23, update posted on the thread below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...eries-258.html (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

The km readings of the bad patches on the Anmod check post - Ramnagar route are given below, hope they are useful for Bangalore folks using the Dharwad - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod route for their Goa trip.

The blank cells mean a short bad patch. I think the one at 1.5 is also marked on Google Maps as Anmod Car Breaker!

Name:  anmod.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th January 2023 at 11:46.
Old 25th January 2023, 13:47   #5863
BHPian

I am planning to leave Bengaluru tomorrow early morning and the destination is Karwar. Planning to return back on Sunday (29th) after visiting Honnavar and Gokarna.

The route shown in GMaps is Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola. Is this recommended or is Bankapur-Mundgod better?

Any recommendations for good stay in Karwar and Honnavar/Gokarna. Initially planned JLR but backed out as I plan to stay for 3 days.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 25th January 2023 at 13:48.
Old 30th January 2023, 13:39   #5864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
Did the Blr-Goa last Sat -
The usual rigor from Nelamangala till after Tumkur. After that its sweetest drive till Hubli Bypass but with lot of race track wannabes.

Ramnagar to Anmod is in bad shape- So I took left for the Castlerock road -
Time saving is there, but not advisable to be done early morning or late evening.
Did Blr to Goa and Hyd to Goa 3 times in last 5 months and below is comparison as per different routes.

1) Anmod Ghat- as in Quoted reply above- the ramnagar to anmod remains bad but lot of people use it and is manageable with caution. Travelled 4 times and took Castlerock detour 3 times (details in quoted reply above) - it is scenic, better road, time-saving, not good for folks with motion sickness, narrow road, no signal

2) Did Belgavi to Chorla section last week when coming from our visit to Almatti(details on that in separate forum discussion - hyd-Goa route). - and first of all Note to Self- Never go near to Bagalkote , Belagavi area if I can avoid it even by taking 60-100 KMs extra on another route. The locals, fellow drivers are entirely different breed here (only other place I have this note for is Hosadurga town near Hiriyur, Tarikere). Lots of mental agony on the route.

Anyways, Belagavi to Goa via Khanapur (to take Rangarook or Londa route further) is blocked by Police and a Local person told me it is from couple months at least - Road maintenance . So we are diverted on left road just before VTU campus in Belagaum . Goes through Chorla.

To summarize this route- Sudden potholes, not advisable for low GC vehicle, Lot of 'I-Bought-Crossover-SUV-and-Can-Drive-as-I-Please who say that Bytheway-whatonEarth-are-Lanes-for-on-hills' on this ghat sections. Sorry to generalize but 75% had MH12-14 plates. I will avoid it if possible especially if going to South Goa side.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-belagavichorlabenaulim.jpg

3) Returned to Bangalore via Ankola-Yellapur.
With slightly longer modified one - Goa --> Karwar-->Ankola--> Yellapur-->Kalaghatgi --> Tadas--> Kunnur --> NH 48 after Tadas-Kalaghatgi bypass.

This is longer but absolutely no fuss, beautiful route for most of the way- I would recommend even if coming from North Goa.
I dont know why people complaint about potholes on this route on diff forums. Barring 1 km stretch around 24 km from Ankola , which is also more of Blemishes on the road then potholes. Just maintain a little distance from heavy lorry/truck/bus in front and you will not be surprised.

NOTE1- I took Kalaghatgi route - which is longer by 20 km but Gmap showed only extra 4 mins, which indicates quality of road would be better then taking left from Yellapur.
NOTE2- SH1 from Tadas to Kunnur is not in ood shape and couple KMs to meet NH48 in end are on narrow village road.

NOTE3- Extra incentive to take this route- If you love Seafood- Try Amrut hotel in Karwar- Wow - Muaah .....

NOTE4- Compensate extra KMs with stay at Davangere and having Awesome benne Dosa - Another Muaahhhhh
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goayellapurdavangere.jpg

Overall , having gone through 3 major inwards/outwards from Goa- I would recommend 1st - Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-NH48-Benagalore , 2nd - Goa-Pollem-Castle Rock-Ramnagar-Dharwar-Hubli-NH48-Bangalore , 3rd - Take a sea ferry, 4th- If no other chance take Chorla Ghat road to belgaum
rustyg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:41   #5865
BHPian

Drove to Goa and back last week in the 330i:

Route taken:

Onward journey - Bangalore - Mysore - Mercara - Mangalore - Karwar - North Goa. I know it would have been better to take the Belgaum route as my final destination was North Goa, but we had to take this route as I had some work on this route.
  • Bangalore - Mysore expressway then had some bypasses pending, which I believe are open now. Nothing much to complain other than the service roads and their speed breakers (more on BLR-MYS thread).
  • Mysore - Mercara is all good, not conducive to coasting as the small towns have a lot of traffic, the road surface isn't very consistent either. Then again, in a regular sedan or crossover, you won't have anything to complain about.
  • Mercara - Mangalore is good too, the ghat has some surprise potholes and bad patches but those are few and easily avoidable. The last 10-15 KMs are under construction and will layer your car with some dust.
  • Mangalore - Ankola is good with 4-lane highway. Though there are no potholes or bad patches, the road has enough roughness and undulation to keep your speed under check. I would suggest 70-80 KM/hr is what you could continuously coast at, anything more and you'll have some bouncy experiences. Then again, depends on your car.
  • Ankola - Karwar alternates between 4-lane and 2-lane. This road has been under some or the other repair work for years now and I don't see it changing any time soon. The road gets worse as you approach Karwar but nothing to really worry about if you can slow down as and when required.
  • After Karwar the roads are good through and through. South Goa roads are filled with speed breakers but the surface is butter smooth. The Zuari bridge is almost complete in the South - North direction but not so much the other way around. If it helps to know, the roads to Morjim are bad towards the last few KMs and Ashwem roads are outright terrible. If you are booking something in Ashwem, be prepared to go in and out of bad roads.

I wanted to take Belgaum route on my way back, which I had travelled in December and posted here earlier and the conditions remain the same. Bangalore - Belgaum all good and then Amboli ghat is better amongst all the horrible other options. I heard from a friend that the road through Tilari Nagar is better than Amboli but this route apparently is narrow and has very steep ups/downs and may be risky without hill-assist/hold. As luck would have it, I had to stay a night in South so I took Betalbatim - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli - Bangalore route.
  • Ankola - Yellapur Road is in very bad shape. I saw a 320d fly by me only to have two flats at once in a distance of less than a KM. I crawled through this stretch while the SUVs and cabbies whooshed past me. I was praying for my 18" BBS wheels and the RFTs. This was until I reached this point:
    River pebble den Resorts
    091089 97566
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/rSMuLUy5kGFg8az87?g_st=ic

While coming from Ankola, the road gets better after this place. The place also has decent restrooms (as of now).
  • Yellapur - Hubli Road - this stretch is more or less good with no nasty surprises. Some stretches are really good and you can cover up for what you lost in the previous stretch. The last stretch as we approach Hubli is under construction and needs some detour but definitely manageable. The Hubli bypass is completely ready and is a delight to just avoid those narrow busy roads of Hubli.
  • The road as we approach Tumkur has a lot of potholes and pits. You've to be careful especially if you have low profile tyres. The Nelamangala - Bangalore road is also worn out substantially and needs to be driven carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The route shown in GMaps is Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola. Is this recommended or is Bankapur-Mundgod better?
Please avoid the Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola route, for more details check the Bangalore - Gokarna thread. The best route is what I have mentioned above - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola and then go down south to Gokarna.

Last edited by HighRevving : 30th January 2023 at 13:47.
HighRevving is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks