Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 08:24   #5671
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Wasn't difficult to find the replacement tyre at House of Tyres at Goa. Return was on 21st Aug, Route Taken : Emerald Palms- Anmod, Dharwad-Hubbali-Tumkur-Bangalore . Start - 9 am, Reached by 8.30 pm. I regret my decision to take this route, I think the potholes are big enough to cause concerns to T-Fort's and Jeep Wranglers and after the incident during the onward journey I was very careful. It was a crawl for 20 kms, but after that it was alright. Of course Dharwad to Huballi is not a delight either.

Seems like you are not the only one who went through this ordeal. Folks need to be careful and work through this cautiously on this section.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:58   #5672
Senior - BHPian

Scared to see the information being posted by members here, like side wall damages, man eating pot holes etc.. and not sure how peaceful an upcoming Goa drive is going to be.

Heading to this resort and gmap suggesting this as the route. Is there any problem with this route in terms of road conditions, if so, where exactly and how bad and is there any better alternate? Sorry, did not research much yet, relying on the folks here.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa-route.jpg

And I assume, since the destination is up north, touching Hubli is a mandate. Please correct me here. And if so, are these 3 the options from Hubli and which one is preferred?

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goas.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 28th August 2022 at 12:05.
Old 31st August 2022, 08:17   #5673
Senior - BHPian

Since Chorla and Anmod ghats are in terrible condition. Why not give Hubli Ankola road a try. Not too much more distance to cover.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:43   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Since Chorla and Anmod ghats are in terrible condition. Why not give Hubli Ankola road a try. Not too much more distance to cover.
That is simply adding another 2 hours in gmap to reach up to north Goa compared to any other north bound routes.

Between Chorla and Anmod, wondering which one is better or if any other routes towards north Goa.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:09   #5675

JP Nagar Phase 1 to Ponda on Aug 28. Left home at 5.45 am. Took us 14 hours with 3 stops. Had a sedate drive staying around 100 kmph on the highway. Total drive time of 11 hours. Had to stop in the ghat before Karwar for 15 mins to allow a loaded truck with a windmill blade to pass through. Had heard horror reports of both the Belgaum ghats from multiple people and multiple channels, so decided on the Karwar route. A few bad stretches like others have pointed (mainly around Tumkur and then closer to Karwar and occasionally between Gabbur to Yellapur), but nothing worrisome. In fact, the Tumkur highway has bigger potholes than the state highway. Stopped at Apoorva Resorts for breakfast (which was decent, but nothing to speak of). Missed spotting Upadhyay and Sarvodaya on time since most of the overbridges are complete and the highway is now barricaded. Lunch was at Yellapur at Shree Krishna Rasoi. They have north and south meals as well as a la carte. Again, basic food as can be expected on this side, but nothing to write about. Not much of a choice for food after Yellapur until Karwar. Thanks to everyone who have generously shared their experience here.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:26   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
..... or if any other routes towards north Goa.
If you are ok with going via Belgaum, then the Tilari ghat route is one more option. Check posts numbers 3737 and 3719 in the thread below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5386714 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

This route will take you to the Sanquelim - Bicholim - Assonora - Tivim road, which joins the Mumbai Goa highway and from there on to your destination.

However, if you are taking the Scorpio, I would say road conditions in Anmod or Chorla should not be that big of a deal breaker.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 31st August 2022 at 12:32.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:57   #5677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And I assume, since the destination is up north, touching Hubli is a mandate. Please correct me here. And if so, are these 3 the options from Hubli and which one is preferred?
If you are driving in a Scorpio, I would recommend Hubli - Dharwad - Anmod route. Apart from 20 km stretch which you can take slowly, rest of the road is good. I would prefer that any day over the Yellapur route.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:58   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
Between Chorla and Anmod, wondering which one is better or if any other routes towards north Goa.
If you are not taking a sedan, Anmod route is fine. Couple of weeks back, I had taken both Chorla (coming from Belgaum side) and Anmod (coming back to Bangalore). Chorla would be better for a sedan but Anmod is easily manageable with any kind of SUV. As others had pointed out earlier, with Anmod, you know the 20 kms odd stretch where things are bad and the bad stretches dont come all of the sudden.
enygma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 14:47   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
However, if you are taking the Scorpio, I would say road conditions in Anmod or Chorla should not be that big of a deal breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If you are driving in a Scorpio, I would recommend Hubli - Dharwad - Anmod route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enygma View Post
If you are not taking a sedan, Anmod route is fine. .

Thank you Gentlemen.

Yes, I am in a Scoprio, but there are 3 more cars coming, Sedan and Hatchs. So need a decent road for all.

With Anmod ghat, is it that 20 Kms stretch the only issue? And for Chorla ghat, there is no issue at all?

I don't really see a great advantage of Anmod as per below data pulled from gmap? So why to take that knowingly of that 20 Kms? Or is there something else in favour for this route?

• Hubli - Anmod - Ponda - Ashvem Beach > 634 Kms | 12 Hours
  • Dharwad - Chorla - Sanquelim - Ashvem Beach > 630 Kms | 11 Hr 50 mins
  • Belgaum - Tilari - Tivim - Ashvem Beach > 643 Kms | 11 Hr 50 mins

Probably I will take one for onward and the other for return.

Which would would have a smooth entry into Goa and further into Goa to the beach?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 31st August 2022 at 15:04.
Old 31st August 2022, 15:09   #5680
BHPian

Quote:
With Anmod ghat, is it that 20 Kms stretch the only issue? And for Chorla ghat, there is no issue at all?
Yes, that stretch is the only real issue with the Anmod route. For Chorla, on the Karnataka side after Jamboti for around 30kms, there are huge craters once in a while that would mean you would have to carefully navigate around those and often wait for the other side traffic to go through. Check the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa thread which has some photos and more recent updates from Chorla. With full loaded sedans, I would avoid Anmod since there are pretty steep inclines/declines at places where the concrete road ends and also lots of loose gravel.
enygma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:12   #5681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Gentlemen.

Yes, I am in a Scoprio, but there are 3 more cars coming, Sedan and Hatchs. So need a decent road for all.

I don't really see a great advantage of Anmod as per below data pulled from gmap? So why to take that knowingly of that 20 Kms? Or is there something else in favour for this route?

• Hubli - Anmod - Ponda - Ashvem Beach > 634 Kms | 12 Hours
  • Dharwad - Chorla - Sanquelim - Ashvem Beach > 630 Kms | 11 Hr 50 mins
  • Belgaum - Tilari - Tivim - Ashvem Beach > 643 Kms | 11 Hr 50 mins

Probably I will take one for onward and the other for return.

Which would would have a smooth entry into Goa and further into Goa to the beach?
I took the Anmod route towards Goa and returned via Yellapur. Like I said earlier, I preferred Anmod route as the bad stretch is known and finite (Yellapur was long, bad in random patches and overall, tiring).

My friend drove in his mk-1 Octavia and took the Chorla route to Goa. Apart from scraping his car a few times in the ghat section which was bad, the rest of the road was very good (similar to my experience with Anmod).

Between Anmod and Chorla, the latter would be more scenic.

Last edited by ashis89 : 31st August 2022 at 15:13.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 17:23   #5682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.Which would would have a smooth entry into Goa and further into Goa to the beach?
These are the approx. distances you will have to travel on local Goa roads (majority of single laned roads) for the 3 routes:
1. Tilari: Assonora - Destination ~ 25 kms
2. Chorla: Sanquelim - Destination ~ 40 kms (Sanquelim - Assonora, plus route in point no. 1)
3. Anmod: Ponda - Destination ~ 60 kms

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 31st August 2022 at 17:27.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:58   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
These are the approx. distances you will have to travel on local Goa roads (majority of single laned roads) for the 3 routes:
1. Tilari: Assonora - Destination ~ 25 kms
2. Chorla: Sanquelim - Destination ~ 40 kms (Sanquelim - Assonora, plus route in point no. 1)
3. Anmod: Ponda - Destination ~ 60 kms
One of my friends who travelled to Goa from Bangalore last week took the Belgaum-Amboli route. For sedans apparently, all routes are bad.

It does not make sense to take the Yellapur route to reach north Goa. So it is either Anmod Ghat or Chorla Ghat or Amboli routes.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20220831-8.48.16-pm.jpeg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20220831-8.48.16-pm-1.jpeg  

Prashant Shenoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:34   #5684
BHPian

Did the Dharwad - Ramnagar - Tinai - Anmod - Ponda - Old Goa stretch over the weekend. Would say 90% of the stretch was butter smooth, 5% had broken but pretty manageable sections and 5% (Tinai - Anmod stretch) was really bad.

Nothing to worry about though, just drove very very slowly on the bad stretches and more than made up for the lost time on the good ones. Over the years I have done Blr-GA and Mum-GA in the monsoons and expect the roads to be bad. Found this monsoon drive to be relatively better since the bad stretches were more concentrated and not spread throughout the route.

Overall left HSR Layout at 5.40 am and was in Old Goa by 3.10 pm including a 45 mins break at Apoorva resorts.
Chinmayd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:06   #5685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
Overall left HSR Layout at 5.40 am and was in Old Goa by 3.10 pm including a 45 mins break at Apoorva resorts.
Now this is one relieving post.

Yes, like BHPians said above, the bad stretches are known where exactly they are and hence should not be a problem. Is it possible to put on the map and share the 20 or so Kms stretch where the road is bad?

May I ask you where exactly is this place in Old Goa that you reached at 3:10? Just trying to see how much more it will take for me to my destination from there and use this same route.

Didn't you stop for a lunch later? How is the breakfast at Apoorva and at what time where you there?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st September 2022 at 19:08.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed