Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 13:02   #5611

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hello fellow TeamBHPians -

Please read the below article regarding a landslide at Anmod Ghat near Mollem, and the route being shut for regular traffic. I came back from Goa to Bangalore via this exact route just 2 days before this incident and I can vouch for the intensity of the rainfall as well as a genuine fear of landslides.

Kindly plan your travel accordingly.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/92662705.cms
kpthomas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 20:39   #5612
Team-BHP Support

Usually in heavy rains its better to avoid travel. But for south Goa I think the Hubli-Ankola remains the best option.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:27   #5613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Usually in heavy rains its better to avoid travel. But for south Goa I think the Hubli-Ankola remains the best option.
Planning to visit in July last week (South Goa) from South Bangalore. I have never traveled during this time of the year in India. This is the first time. What is your recommendation - Fly or Drive (Via Yellapur-Karwar). 2 Pax. Purpose: Pleasure (not business). Thanks!
Old 12th July 2022, 23:00   #5614
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the Anmod ghat status after the landslide? What about Chorla if anybody has an update? I have longer trip this August first week. Will be traveling to Pune then to Goa and back to Bangalore. In a process to decide what ghats are best for this 2000km trip.
If nothing works will take Ankola Yellapur Hubli road while returning to Bangalore. But need a good route to reach Goa from north side.
Old 13th July 2022, 11:27   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Any news on the Anmod ghat status after the landslide? What about Chorla if anybody has an update? I have longer trip this August first week. Will be traveling to Pune then to Goa and back to Bangalore. In a process to decide what ghats are best for this 2000km trip.
If nothing works will take Ankola Yellapur Hubli road while returning to Bangalore. But need a good route to reach Goa from north side.
Did the Dharwad to Panjim route via Anmod. This route is safe n good to go as of Saturday, July 09.

Gharli - Anmod: Incomplete portions that were asphalted have given way especially at the concrete asphalt interface. Also watch out for that 'suspension breaker' pothole. Drive Slow!

Amod - Mollem: Small landslides did occur and were promptly cleared. Nothing to worry!

Mollem - Panjim: Watch out for stray cattle!
chorispao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:49   #5616
BHPian

Just did a drive to Goa for a college reunion last weekendmand took the Dharward to Panjim road. Overall, the road condition is good. In the KA side, the roads are being converted to cement topping and most of it is done. But there are a few stretches where there are moon craters and you need to be watchful. Even near Anmond, some stretches is a single lane as portion of the cement road has either collapsed or being done up. Once you enter the Goa side, the roads are butter smooth all the way to Panjim. We were staying at a villa in Anjuna so had to drive till there. Roads to North Goa via Mapusa are good overall, but in Anjuna and Vagator, the by-lanes are quite choppy.

Also, as mentioned in the post above by chorispao, there are a lot of stray cattle on Goa roads, even at night. They just hang out blocking roads. So need to keep an eye on them at night.

Cheers,
Rohan
Old 21st July 2022, 16:22   #5617
BHPian

Planning for a road trip to Goa(Candolim) on 9 August. Considering the continous rains in western ghats, what should be a safe route(minimal chance of closure)
Old 22nd July 2022, 19:26   #5618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Just did a drive to Goa for a college reunion last weekendmand took the Dharward to Panjim road.
Could you please tell what time you started and what time you reached? Did you halt somewhere enroute for a night or direct drive to and fro? A similar trip is coming up for me and planning for it.
Old 23rd July 2022, 15:22   #5619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Could you please tell what time you started and what time you reached? Did you halt somewhere enroute for a night or direct drive to and fro? A similar trip is coming up for me and planning for it.
Hi, sure will share details as follows:-

Left Bangalore (RMV 2nd Stage) at 8:20 AM. Took the regular Tumkur road. Did not stop anywhere (except bio breaks and one halt to eat my packed sandwich). Reached Anjuna villa at 6 PM. Bangalore to Hubli was a blast, it was the Dharward to Goa border stretch where I lost time.

For the return, left Anjuna at 1 PM, stayed overnight in Hubli as I had dinner plans with a family member there. Left Hubli next day at 12 PM and was in Bangalore at 7:30 PM. I stopped at Davangere (Southern Star) for a lazy lunch and lost time in the rush hour traffic in Yeshwanthpur. Stayed at Hotel Naveen Lakeside in Hubli, which in my opinion needs an over haul badly.

Car was my trusty 2012 Honda City VAT.

Cheers,
Rohan

Last edited by rjalihal : 23rd July 2022 at 15:24. Reason: adding car
rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:36   #5620
BHPian

We went to Goa last weekend. I wanted to update route details and road condition. Onward journey was Mysore - Srirangapatna - Pandavpura - Melukote - CR Patna - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagara - Honnavar - Kumta - Karwar - Goa (Canacona)

Decision to take this route onward was because of the incessant rain in Dakshina Kannada and unknown road condition in Sampaje, Sullya, Puttur due to tremors and landslides. The Shimoga route was suggested by a Coorgi friend, in case of night driving. We (my wife, two of our friends and myself) left from Mysore in our VW Taigun 1.0 TSI MT at 7pm and reached Goa at 6am with a dinner stop at CR Patna.

Roads between Mysore to Srirangapatna are a mix of good stretches and yet to be made patches due to ongoing expressway construction. After that till Jaknahalli (Melukote), the road is good. From Melukote to Shravanabelagola, roads are very narrow surrounded by dense vegetation with many tough patches.

Finding a place for Dinner at CR Patna was challenging and we repented not having carried food from Mysore itself. Immediately after crossing the Bangalore - Mangalore highway onto Arsikere road, it worsens a lot. The road all the way upto Shimoga is in a very bad state. Average speed was less than 60kmph for most part of it. After Shimoga the roads are very good and well marked all the way upto Kumta

Between Kumta and Karnataka-Goa border road widening is still underway, so there are a few bad patches to look out for. You have to be especially careful in the section since the road shifts between single carriageway and double carriageway frequently without warning.

On the return leg took the decision of sticking to my usual route that I was well versed with after speaking to the Coorgi friend Dr. KCK who confirmed that rain had reduced and there was no waterlogging.

Route taken was Goa (Agonda) - Karwar - Kumta - Honnawar - Bhatkal - Maravanthe - Kundapur - Udupi - Mangalore - Bantwal - Puttur - Sullia - Sampaje - Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Periyapatna - Hunsur - Mysore. Departed Goa after breakfast at Treetop Tava, Agonda at 11am and reached Mysore at 11.30pm with a break at Mangalore for 1.5 hours and a 15minute stop at Maravanthe.

The roads were great throughout except some patches of rough roads between Mangalore to Adyar and some patches where road widening is underway till Bantwal. Post this roads were really awesome, super smooth all the way to Mysore. Really applaudable that despite the rains the roads were in great shape. No landslides anyway all the way upto two spots in the vicinity of Madekeri. One was at a place 14km away from Madikeri and the other at 5.5km from Madikeri in the Madikeri-Mekeri road (this diversion has to be taken due to the recent breach of the retaining wall adjacent to Madikeri DC office at the start of the Mangalore road from Madikeri just after the petrol pump at this circle. Really pity of the KSRTC Airavat buses having to take this narrow stretch upto Thalatmane.

I will take this route to Goa anyday compared to the one through shimoga just to avoid the section between CR patna to Shimoga especially if driving at Night. Between Tarikere and Shimoga, there are many spots with multiple speedbreakers (more than 10 together) which have no warning signs, this adds to the discomfort waking up the other occupants each time I missed noticing these in advance. Only after Shimoga, did the wife and our friends have good sleep, after that they woke up when i stopped for a coffee break near Jog falls diversion and after that they again could sleep comfortably till Karwar.

Whether driving in the morning or night time, I would recommend driving through Madikeri - Mangalore route if there is no waterlogging and if you don't own a Mahindra Thar or Isuzu V cross or any other proper SUV for getting past waterlogged areas safely.

P.S.: I posted this in the Bangalore - Goa thread since I felt it will help more people that way. Moderators please attach to appropriate thread if necessary.
Old 27th July 2022, 15:13   #5621

Hi all,

Planning to go to North Goa during October. Will be taking the shortest route which I believe is via Chitradurga Hubli Chorla Panjim.

What are the recommended pitstops? We are planning to start early in the morning and would like to stop at places with clean toilets

Thanks Harish

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 15:31. Reason: Please proof read your posts before submitting. Too many typos & unnecessary spaces around punctuation marks. Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:16   #5622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harifire View Post
hi All
PLannig to go to north goa during October . Will be taking the shortest route which I believe is via Chitradurga Hubli Chorla Panjim .

What are the recommended pitstops - We are planning to start early in the mornning and would like to stop at places with clean toilets
thanks Harish
Chorla is usually a mess after the rains with big potholes, are you taking an SUV or sedan? Please check road conditions before selecting route !
Old 28th July 2022, 15:27   #5623
BHPian

Did the Panjim to Dharwad route via Anmod on July 26. All to note that most of the Asphalt surface has given way in the 8km portion between Castle Rock diversion & Hotel Simla. There are 4 or 5 nasty portions with potholes even on a bridge! Low level cars need to be extremely cautious. Rest is all good to go!
Old 29th July 2022, 19:01   #5624

Just a video of the bad parts described in the post above !
nitro_xlr8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 15:44   #5625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_xlr8r View Post
Just a video of the bad parts described in the post above ! https://Youtu.be/gi8Azqsj-EE
Thanks for the video. Planning to visit Ponda next week from Bangalore and want to know if this can be done in a sedan with 5 adults. I am a bit concerned about the rough edges around concrete road ends.

What would be the better alternative(if I can't take this)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks