Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 10:01   #5566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
This is the best route for a low sedan.
Thanks, Nirmal! Another query w.r.t. IOCL XP95. Any recommendations to tank up before turning off at Dharwad?

Even though Goa is ~6 bucks cheaper, I always do a tank full if I find a reputed bunk enroute, and especially before venturing into ghat roads.
Old 7th May 2022, 07:07   #5567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks, Nirmal! Another query w.r.t. IOCL XP95. Any recommendations to tank up before turning off at Dharwad?

Even though Goa is ~6 bucks cheaper, I always do a tank full if I find a reputed bunk enroute, and especially before venturing into ghat roads.
I don’t remember the specific location before Dharwad but did notice few IOC bunks with the XP95 branding, there is a Shell nearby Sira on service road
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:58   #5568
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! I have found 2 IOC bunks stocking XP95, one at Gabbur Toll near Hubli & the other at Mollem.

Perfect for my OCD requirements .
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 07:57   #5569
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to summarise the current conditions of the BLR-Dharwad-Mollem route. Requesting others to add any more thoughts

1. Excellent 6L roads till Hubli barring a few sudden diversions. Watch out for red warning signs. One of them comes up suddenly on a blind summit near Haveri inbound to BLR.

2. Potentially no interceptors on the KA side (TBC).

3. Initial few kilometres after Dharwad turnoff is bad and needs careful driving.

4. Anmod Ghat / D'Sagar / Castlerock:
Near GA/KA border is uneven concrete with sharp drop-offs + an especially nasty unmarked dip near Castlerock.
Railway crossings unfinished in the same area with big speedbreakers.
No need to take the narrow Tinai Ghat / Bhimgad Sanctuary detour any more.

5. GA not checking vax reports or asking for RTPCR (TBC).

6. GA side has 60 km/hr limit with high possibility of interceptors.

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th May 2022 at 07:59.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:59   #5570
BHPian

Hi folks,

I might have to drive down from Karwar to Bangalore at the end of this month. Any update on the routes to take ? I have a Honda City, will low GC be an issue ?
Old 9th May 2022, 15:42   #5571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I might have to drive down from Karwar to Bangalore at the end of this month. Any update on the routes to take ? I have a Honda City, will low GC be an issue ?
Karwar to Bangalore is a simple road with no confusion :-) The most "direct" (and fastest) route would be Karwar-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore. This road ins great condition and Honda City would manage this without breaking a sweat.

I recently drove on this road in my BMW 320d and had a great time. Absolutely no issues with low GC.

Google Maps will suggest you a shortcut from Yellapur to Bankapur via Mundgod. I would recommend avoiding this (this is a narrow road for more than 60km and that can be a bit annoying to drive on). Instead, drive all the way to Hubli and then to Bangalore. That is what I usually do.

However, in my most recent drive a month ago, I took a shortcut via Tadas, as shown in the map below. This was not a problem, but still I would probably go all the way to Hubli next time.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-map3.jpg

Last edited by Dr.AD : 9th May 2022 at 15:45.
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 17:06   #5572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Karwar to Bangalore is a simple road with no confusion :-) The most "direct" (and fastest) route would be Karwar-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore. This road ins great condition and Honda City would manage this without breaking a sweat.

Attachment 2306037
Hello sir,

Thank you for the quick response. This will be very helpful. I will be travelling with my 8 year old daughter. Any good food options recommended for lunch ?

Regards
Dieseltuned.
Old 9th May 2022, 17:50   #5573
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
However, in my most recent drive a month ago, I took a shortcut via Tadas, as shown in the map below. This was not a problem, but still I would probably go all the way to Hubli next time.
I always used to take mundgod-Yellapur before, which used to be stressful 60 kms drive especially when lot of incoming vehicles or slow cars in front, as we would need to get down off road for every single vehicle. But after going through Tadas(27 kms) in last trip, will never take Mundgod route again.

Was also thinking of going till Hubli, will there be traffic in Hubli by-pass ?
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:14   #5574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Problem is not the drive. But the entry/exit at toll at the Hubli/Dharwad bypass takes out the time. Tadas may be better that way. But since you have driven you know better. Is it not good enough?
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:22   #5575
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Problem is not the drive. But the entry/exit at toll at the Hubli/Dharwad bypass takes out the time. Tadas may be better that way. But since you have driven you know better. Is it not good enough?
Oh ya, Tadas-Kalagathi was pleasant drive in my Nexon, almost no traffic, roads are wide, two vehicles can easily pass, maybe 3-4 humps in 27 kms drive. its just a 25-30 mins drive before you hit highway again of Hubli-Karwar. Bad/dirty road only in Tadas village for 1 kms.

I guess would waste 30-40 mins extra if driven through Hubli.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:41   #5576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Thank you for the quick response. This will be very helpful. I will be travelling with my 8 year old daughter. Any good food options recommended for lunch ?
Well, it depends on what time you start and where you want to have lunch. Hubli itself is one option but it is too close to Karwar (and maybe too early for lunch at Hubli). But there are a few good options in Hubli if you prefer that.

Else from Hubli to Bangalore, on NH48, there are a few usual options that are discussed here (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

My usual stop is Apoorva Resorts near Davangere (https://goo.gl/maps/zEgsmsqHncwFLa5o7). This is a place with spacious parking, clean and spacious restaurant, and clean restrooms. However, this will be on the opposite side when you are driving from Hubli to Bangalore. If you could find appropriate U-turns, this is still a good option.

A couple of good options for you (on the correct side while driving from Hubli to Bangalore, i.e. on your left hand side), near Chitradurga, are these:

1. Sarvodaya Veg: https://g.page/sarvodaya-veg?share

2. Upadhya Ruchi: https://goo.gl/maps/d2G1n2dHkv6sXogb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Was also thinking of going till Hubli, will there be traffic in Hubli by-pass ?
Quote:
I agree with both of you that Tadas is not bad. It is a much better option than the 67km of narrow roads via Mundgod. However, last time I faced some traffic jams in the narrow lanes of Tadas village, and also for about 1km the roads were totally broken and full of big potholes. I had to drive very slowly to manage that 1km of section.

On the other hand, Hulbi-Dharwad bypass is usually free (at least upto that quick exit towards Karwar) and I never faced traffic problems there. You basically bypass all the Hubli traffic when you exit to Karwar. Of course, there is again some traffic in the initial few km after exiting on Karwar road. So either way, there is some small traffic sections.

So maybe it is more or less equal either way. I usually find my "driving rhythm" on NH48 and prefer to just continue driving all the way till Hubli without breaking that rythm. The additional time taken from Tadas exit till Hubli is very small, and not a major deal.
Dr.AD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:51   #5577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree with both of you that Tadas is not bad. It is a much better option than the 67km of narrow roads via Mundgod. However, last time I faced some traffic jams in the narrow lanes of Tadas village, and also for about 1km the roads were totally broken and full of big potholes. I had to drive very slowly to manage that 1km of section.

On the other hand, Hulbi-
I was looking at the maps and just noticed one need not go to the Dharwad-Hubli 2-lane bypass. Looks like there is a new NH63 bypass which can directly take to the Yellapur road. See this (link)

Basically a full south side bypass to Hubli town.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20220509-6.53.58-pm.png

Last edited by ampere : 9th May 2022 at 18:56.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:00   #5578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at the maps and just noticed one need not go to the Dharwad-Hubli 2-lane bypass. Looks like there is a new NH63 bypass which can directly take to the Yellapur road. See this (link)
OK, great! Thanks for sharing the link. I had not noticed this new bypass the last time I drove through that area. Now next time I will watch out for this. This is a great find.

In addition to being faster and shorter to reach the Karwar road, this would also avoid the toll at the Gabbur Toll Plaza on the usual Hubli-Dharwad bypass (unless this new road is also a toll road). That toll plaza was notorious for accepting only cash (and not FastTag) until 2020 or so. Now it does accept FastTag, but still, best if that toll plaza is avoided altogether!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 9th May 2022 at 19:07.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:09   #5579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, great! Thanks for sharing the link. I had not noticed this new NH63 bypass the last time I drove through that area. Now next time I will watch out for this. This is a great find.

Sorry let me take my words back. Its not the NH63. That's old number for Ananthpur-Bellary-Hospet-Hubli-Ankola NH. Its now the NH52
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 22:03   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
OK, great! Thanks for sharing the link. I had not noticed this new bypass the last time I drove through that area. Now next time I will watch out for this. This is a great find.
Quote:
Sorry let me take my words back. Its not the NH63. That's old number for Ananthpur-Bellary-Hospet-Hubli-Ankola NH. Its now the NH52
OT, the Hotel Mini Punjab is a very good restaurant, has clean well maintained bathrooms.
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks