Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:21   #5551
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Came across this news about entry permit issue. Is it also applicable for pvt cars or only for taxi?
This is only for commercial yellow plate vehicles (taxis, trucks etc). It has always been there. The yellow plate taxis always have to pay some small fees while driving from one state to another. For example, similar permit is required to enter Tamil Nadu from Karnataka too, for yellow plate taxis.

Quote:
Unaware tourists who were looking to enter Goa from Karnataka were fined about Rs.10,000 as they had to get a special permit to cross into Goan territory.
I also read this news and I was equally confused at first. Then I realized this was a very poorly written news article. If you read further, they say 40 taxis were fined. So this is clearly only for taxis. But either purposefully or as a genuine mistake they did not mention this in the headline. The headline sounded like a clickbait, and gave the impressions that all tourists need permit to enter Goa. That is not at all the case.
Dr.AD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 09:26   #5552
Senior - BHPian

Visited Goa over last weekend for some work via Anmod Ramnagar route. Took 9 hours to Goa and 10 hours from Goa, both with 2 food breaks. Stopped at Apoorva resort and a small hotel at Anmod.
Road conditions are good to excellent except for the patch between Dharwad exit towards Anmod where it varies from horrible to good to excellent. The (un)famous dip near Anmod checkpost has been tried to fix. Some tar is put in to level it but still not good. If you hit it at 30kmph that is enough to damage your car. As mentioned in older posts it is easy to locate towards goa direction but really tricky the other way. Do not get distracted until you pass it else the damage could be substantial.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 27th April 2022 at 09:28.
Old 27th April 2022, 11:48   #5553
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This is only for commercial yellow plate vehicles (taxis, trucks etc).
Will it apply for self drive cars ? or they would have had done the permit already ?
Old 27th April 2022, 13:24   #5554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Will it apply for self drive cars ? or they would have had done the permit already ?
By "self drive cars" I assume you mean "Self drive rental cars". Yes, they need to pay the permit fees. Of course self drive private cars (white plate) are exempt from this.

Technically, self drive rental cars need to stop at the RTO at the entry of another state and pay the required fees for what is called a "temporary permit". That is the rule, and police often check self drive rental cars (from another state) to check if they have paid the required fees.

In reality, how this is implemented varies from self drive rental companies. Zoomcar had some policy (the last time I checked) that the customers have to pay this fee at the state entry and then they will get reimbursed for this or something like that. Also, sometimes, the permit allows multiple entries during a period of time and it may happen than the self drive rental company has already paid it for your entry. So best is to check this with the rental company for that specific trip.

Here is one link from Zoomcar website that explains their policy about this: https://www.zoomcar.com/policy#interState
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:57   #5555
BHPian

Dear Tribe,
I will be travelling to Goa on coming Saturday and will return on Tuesday.
I will be starting from Electronic City in Bangalore and will be going to Morjim in North Goa.

Following are my questions:

1. Are there any travel/border restrictions - COVID19 related/otherwise? We are vaccinated with 2 doses except for our 6 year old.
2. What would be the ideal route that I should be taking while going and during the return?
3. What should be our ideal start time during the up as well as down journey?
4. Kindly suggest some good places to eat and stop for bio-breaks enroute - both while going and coming back? Will have to stop for Breakfast as well as Lunch.
5. Is Fort Tiracol worth visiting - if yes, is it open for public and what would be the best time to visit the place, given that we are in peak summers.

Looking forward for your kind suggestions please.

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2022, 14:47   #5556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,
I will be travelling to Goa on coming Saturday and will return on Tuesday.
I will be starting from Electronic City in Bangalore and will be going to Morjim in North Goa.

Following are my questions:

1. Are there any travel/border restrictions - COVID19 related/otherwise? We are vaccinated with 2 doses except for our 6 year old.
2. What would be the ideal route that I should be taking while going and during the return?
3. What should be our ideal start time during the up as well as down journey?
4. Kindly suggest some good places to eat and stop for bio-breaks enroute - both while going and coming back? Will have to stop for Breakfast as well as Lunch.
5. Is Fort Tiracol worth visiting - if yes, is it open for public and what would be the best time to visit the place, given that we are in peak summers.

Looking forward for your kind suggestions please.

Thanks!

As I read through the previous posts - following is what I could make out:

For Q2 - The best route would be BLR (EC - NICE Road - Tumkur Exit) -CHITRADURGA - HUBLI - DHARWAD - Turn Left at Malligawad - RAMNAGAR - ANMOD - MOLLEM - PONDA - PANJIM - Up North to MORJIM.
Same route on the way back.
I need to be careful of the road near Anmod Checkpost.

How about Belgaum - Chorla Ghat route?

For Q3 - As per Google Maps - this is a 11 hour 26 mins journey. So with adequate breaks during lunch and breakfast - I think it will take around 13 hours. So a 5 AM start should be ideal to reach the destination by 6 PM either ways.

For Q5 - This is Hotel now with a Church, few rooms and a restaurant looking onto the Sea. Plus this is in Maharashtra. I would give this a skip and try some places to visit near Arambol and Anjuna.

Open Questions which still remain are:

2. How about taking the Chorla Ghat (via Belgaum) route to reach Morjim?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks and Regards

Last edited by BIL2_HGi10 : 4th May 2022 at 15:06. Reason: Adding Question on Chorla Ghat Route via Belgaum.
Old 4th May 2022, 18:00   #5557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
2. How about taking the Chorla Ghat (via Belgaum) route to reach Morjim?
Heard that Chorla ghat road is closed for repairs from May 4th to May 11th, please confirm before taking this route
diogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 19:45   #5558
BANNED

Had travelled to Palolem and stayed there for 10 days on Working from Goa instead of WFH, as many have started doing it. In-fact Beach huts there are now giving importance to WiFi speed, got speeds of around 50-150 MBPS depending on Shacks/Beach huts. Even Jio mobile internet is around 20 MBPS sufficient to work.

Tried a new route, which many of you are mentioning is much better than Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura road. So took Shiggaon-Tadas-Kalaghati-Yellapura instead. Below are some advantages on this route compared to Mundgod route.

1. Only 27 kms of non-highway route through Tadas from Mumbai highway to Hubli-Karwar Road. Compared to 68 kms Bankapur-Yellapur route

2. The road of Tadas route is very good, wide for two vehicles to pass through, except Tadas town of 1 kms, which was muddy. While Mundgod is very narrow, have to get down from road to over take or passing through in-coming traffic.

3. Number of humps in this road is very less compared to Mundgod road.

4. Overall less stressful drive in this Tadas route.

5. Even i think you will save a hour time with this route. Could do it in 8 and 8.5 hours both way.

Wish they complete the Karwar Tunnel and 4-laning of road from Ankola to Karwar soon, that could save a hour time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-image_20220504_194253338.png  

Last edited by shamanth : 4th May 2022 at 19:52.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 21:44   #5559
BHPian

Did a BLR-GOA-BLR drive last week and returned back on Tuesday. Here are the road and journey details

Onward Journey
Thursday, 28th April: We had planned to start the drive after finishing office around 5 PM and reach Davengere for the night break, however, I could finish my work by 2 PM and start the drive by 3 PM and reached Davengere at 7 PM staying at Southern Star Davengere hotel.

Start Time: 3:10 PM
End Time: 7:00 PM
Total distance covered: 296 KMS
Breaks: None
Route: Electronic City --> Nice Ring Road --> Tumkur --> Chitradurga --> Davengere.
Road and Traffic: Heavy traffic till Tumkur with multiple trucks occupying all lanes and cars moving among them to find their way. Post Tumkur it is a bliss to drive on open 6 lane roads.

We had packed dinner from home and enjoyed that after checking in. Watched some IPL match and retired for the day.

Friday, 29th April: We got up at a leisurely time of 6:30 AM, got ready and were at the buffet breakfast at 7:30 AM. The breakfast was nothing much to write about, but had a basic spread of pooris, dosas, idly, fruits and juices. One downside was absence of famous Davengere Benne Dosa in the breakfast spread. On our way to Goa we took two stops:
1. Tea break at Doodhsagar Jungle Resort Restaurant. The whole resort was empty and we met with the owner who mentioned that he only does limited business hosting corporate employee groups. We had ginger tea and biscuits. The owner advised us to be careful on maintaining the speed limit of 60 kmph after crossing Goa border as there will definitely be some interceptor watching the outstation cars.

2. Lunch break at Hotel Amigos. Decent food quality and reasonable food prices, good ambience and clean restrooms. We had rice + dal + chicken cafreal + butter roti.

After crossing Goa border, we considerably reduced the speed and drove at a leisurely pace. The roads were of brilliant quality in Goa and that made the drive very enjoyable. As a result, we bypassed the interceptor with the speed gun without any problems. We drove at the restricted speed all the way till our destination.

Reached our hotel destination in Dona Paula, Panaji at around 3 PM.

Start Time: 08:10 AM
End Time: 03:15 PM
Total distance covered: 335 Kms
Breaks: 2 (~1 hr)
Route: Davengere --> Hubli --> Dharwad --> Ramnagar --> Anmod --> Ponda --> Dona Paula, Panaji
Road and traffic: Again a blissful drive till Dharwad with hardly any traffic, and then open highways gives way to a single concrete lane which is randomly broken at different places where one needs to completely slow down and then again the good concrete road continues. The good thing was that we hardly encountered any traffic on this stretch, and were able to maintain decent speeds. We gave 55 INR CASH as toll fee on this road. Post crossing the Goa border we got excellent quality tar road all the way till Panaji. There was no checking at KA-GOA border and we passed fuss free.

Spent good 4 days in Goa roaming around North and South Goa areas, explored the South Goa beaches and shacks and the hotel property.

Return Journey
Tuesday, 3rd May We had a relaxed morning on the day of the checkout, and started our drive at 10:40 AM after having breakfast and finishing checkout formalities. We made very good progress thanks to excellent roads and overall less traffic. Crossed Goa-KA border and although there were some cars which were stopped by the police personnel to check the liquor being transported, we were not stopped possibly due to family being present. Anyhow, we were carrying only limited quantity of bottles along with permit from Goa.

With heavy breakfast in our tummies, we were not feeling the need to stop early, and hence we made continuous progress without breaking and ultimately took just one lunch break at Apoorva Resort, near Davengere after 5 hrs of continuous driving. Had a very average lunch at the restaurant and then started again towards BLR.

Start Time: 10:40 AM
End Time: 08:40 PM
Total distance covered: 630 Kms
Break: 1 (Apoorva Resort ~1 hr)
Total driving time: ~9 hrs
Route: same as onward journey.
Road and traffic: Very less traffic till Tumkur and heavy traffic encountered after that. A little bit of rain near Tumkur also caused some delay, but still we were able to maintain steady speeds along with traffic and reached home at 8:40 PM.

Overall, a very good drive experience.

The car: Honda Amaze SX diesel, returned an overall mileage of 20+ kmpl and was able to complete each leg of the journey in a single tankful itself.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th May 2022 at 07:28. Reason: No reference of alcohol permitted.
gurminder_81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 07:16   #5560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Heard that Chorla ghat road is closed for repairs from May 4th to May 11th, please confirm before taking this route
Is this a fact? Can anyone confirm please?
Old 5th May 2022, 08:51   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is this a fact? Can anyone confirm please?
This news article says the stretch from Sanquelim to Chorla will be closed for heavy vehicles (from May 4 - 11) due to repair work. No mention of whether it applies to LMVs too or not.

https://www.dainikgomantak.com/goa/h...air-work-avj90

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th May 2022 at 08:55.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:57   #5562
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, planning South Goa in second week of May. Maps suggesting Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Moslem and then deviate downwards to the Cavelossim area. The other 2 options are Mundgod - Ankola & Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola.

Which one is preferable? I have a low slung sedan and generally prefer wider roads without the village type sharp speed breakers. Plan is to start by 0500 from BLR. Below distances are from Ranebennur bypass.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20220505_113646__01.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th May 2022 at 12:00.
Old 5th May 2022, 13:59   #5563
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, planning South Goa in second week of May. Maps suggesting Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Moslem and then deviate downwards to the Cavelossim area. The other 2 options are Mundgod - Ankola & Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola.

Which one is preferable? I have a low slung sedan and generally prefer wider roads without the village type sharp speed breakers. Plan is to start by 0500 from BLR. Below distances are from Ranebennur bypass.
I would suggest the Anmod and Molem route, i took the same a couple of weeks coming back from Agonda and it was pretty decent with minimal bad roads.

I had taken the Sirsi and Kumta route last weekend to Gokarna, was a horrible route with roads broken in many places.

Both the above journeys was in my Hexa.
anandtheleo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:47   #5564
BANNED

Quote:
If its low Slung sedan, avoid Bankapura-Mondgod at any cost, lot of humps and narrow road..

If you want to drive through Karwar-Palolem, drive in this route which I mentioned above, it does not have much humps and road is wide, also i havent seen speedcam in this route. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5310322 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) . Had driven from Palolem-Panaji, and Palolem to Leela Cavelossim last week, road was good.

I havent driven Anmod road, so cannot comment on that.
shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 09:48   #5565
BHPian

Quote:

This is the best route for a low sedan,

Hubli- Dharwad - two lane national highway, overtaking is risky
Dharwad - Ramnagar - two lane, be careful of bumps at entry and exit of railway crossing, with few unmarked bumps
Ramnagar - Mollem - two lane / four lane stretches of concrete road with unfinished portions, slow down esp before border as there are dips of concrete at side of the road, dropping a wheel must be done very cautiously . Watch out for a huge dip in middle of the road at Castle rock junction there is one more a few kilometres from that point too. Slow down and be cautious on this stretch.

Once you cross the Goa border, fantastic tar roads await you, watch out for interceptors.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks