Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 19:04   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
I agree with jkrishnakj. Take the Hubli - Kalghatgi - Yellapur, not via Tadas or Bankapura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
From my past times, I’ve left home ( south blr) around 4.30 and have managed to reach Kali river bridge by 1 pm.
I had mentally committed to the Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapura-Ankola route, and had informed my destination accordingly, but then a DDG search for something else brought up the quoted post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On last Wednesday, I drove back from Ankola to Bangalore via Yellapura and Mungod route.

2 Hours for Shiggaon Ankola and 5 for Bangalore Shiggaon makes it 7 hours for Bangalore to Ankola. That means Bangalore to Karwar can be easily doable in 7.5-8 hours with your breaks.
This was just the confirmation I needed, so revised our plan to take this route. I missed the first exit at Bankapura (comes immediately after the toll booth) so took the second one. It was a breeze. The Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapur section is very narrow so one needs to drive with extreme care, but the traffic was so light that I could maintain a decent clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
the Yellapur to Karwar road section is not in great shape.
And this was simply not true. It is in great condition. My timings vouch for it.

4.25 AM dep from home at Bangalore
8.10 AM leave NH 48 at Bankapura
9.45 AM at far end of Yellapura town, merging with road coming from Kalghatgi. This included a breakfast+bio stop at Mundgod for about 25 minutes.
10.45 AM merging with NH 66
11.20 AM my destination which is just beyond the Kali bridge.

Net, a tad below 6.5 hours driving time for Bangalore-Karwar, which almost exactly matches Parag's estimate.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 19:18   #5507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
And this was simply not true. It is in great condition. My timings vouch for it.

9.45 AM at far end of Yellapura town, merging with road coming from Kalghatgi. This included a breakfast+bio stop at Mundgod for about 25 minutes.

Net, a tad below 6.5 hours driving time for Bangalore-Karwar, which almost exactly matches Parag's estimate.
Thanks for sharing the details. I think, I'd go with this route as well then unless any last minute changes. How's the ghat section roads after/before Yellapur? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do remember a small section of ghat roads right after Yellapur which I think should merge on NH66 like you mentioned. Last I visited in November, that section was not good with a big bucket size pot holes (but the roads were under construction). I do plan to leave Bangalore by 3 in the morning, to avoid any of the late evening traffic if that could ease some things.
Old 26th February 2022, 20:42   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
How's the ghat section roads after/before Yellapur?
It is excellent. All the potholes you refer to don't exist anymore. The road has a very good surface especially in that 10 km-ish ghat area. You can see my timings in previous post - 1 hour for the 70 km Yellapur-Ankola stretch which wouldn't have been possible had there been any bad roads.

I can upload dashcam grabs once I'm back in Bangalore on Sunday night.

The road between Yellapur-Mundgod is as Parag described - about 3m wide with soft shoulder a bit below road level. It is through forest I think so can't expect any better. Be careful and you'll be fine. Local drivers are very considerate unlike some other similar stretches I've driven on.

Last edited by binand : 26th February 2022 at 20:48.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 09:52   #5509
BHPian

Heading to Colva tomorrow morning. Please suggest a decent route with good food options. Traveling with our dog, so I don't mind taking scenic route where we can roll our window down. Also, for those who've travelled recently, do they check RTPCR? Both me and my wife are double-dosed. And our pet is fully vaccinated if you should know.
Old 28th February 2022, 13:13   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Heading to Colva tomorrow morning. Please suggest a decent route with good food options. Traveling with our dog, so I don't mind taking scenic route where we can roll our window down. Also, for those who've travelled recently, do they check RTPCR? Both me and my wife are double-dosed. And our pet is fully vaccinated if you should know.
Suggested route is Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad (By pass) - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Margao - Colva.

Lesser traffic once you turn off from Dharwad bypass all the way till Ponda. You can roll down windows and enjoy nature while driving through Anmod ghat.

At Mollem (Goa check post), you will require to show double vaccination certificate. No RTPCR is required.

Edit - Considered starting point as Dabaspete, since I am not sure of your starting point within Bangalore.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 28th February 2022 at 13:16.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:34   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Does one still need to take Tinai ghat diversion? Some posts say the road is usable without taking it anymore. Please clarify.
Nope - There is no need to take the Tinai diversion now. The stretch between where the Tinai diversion is and the KA checkpost has some work going on with some sharp level differences but nothing that even a sedan can't handle. Just got to be careful of speed where the level differences are.
viper_711 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 06:57   #5512
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, Hubli Dharwad being widened plus a Chorla-Jamboti bypass.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/89907853.cms
Old 1st March 2022, 10:28   #5513

Hello all

We are a family of 4 (including 2 teen aged boys) and planning for a road trip from Chennai to Goa. I will be the only driver. We are planning to include Murudeshwar enroute as well (either onward or on return).

Considering this, what are our best options in terms of route, a place to break the journey (as I am the solo driver).

I have already gone through this thread --> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...st-timers.html (Goa Vacation for First Timers)

We would like to indulge in some water sports and clean beach hopping. Where would you suggest in Goa for us to be in?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Any help on this would help me immensely.

Note: We are planning for this trip in late march and can start early morning (around 4am) from Chennai.
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:55   #5514
BHPian

Thanks for this update! Assuming the roads in the ghat section and otherwise have been sorted out.

Any update from others whether the link on the Hubli Karwar bypass road and NH48 (2km before Gabbur toll plaza) is in place? Once done, would drastically reduce drive time on that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Old 2nd March 2022, 13:06   #5515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbalaji View Post
Hello all

We are a family of 4 (including 2 teen aged boys) and planning for a road trip from Chennai to Goa. I will be the only driver. We are planning to include Murudeshwar enroute as well (either onward or on return).

Considering this, what are our best options in terms of route, a place to break the journey (as I am the solo driver).

I have already gone through this thread --> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...st-timers.html (Goa Vacation for First Timers)

We would like to indulge in some water sports and clean beach hopping. Where would you suggest in Goa for us to be in?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Any help on this would help me immensely.

Note: We are planning for this trip in late march and can start early morning (around 4am) from Chennai.
No idea on the Murudeshwar route. Other than that:

1. See if you can stop at Davangere or Hubli. I always reach Bangalore, stay at my brother's place and go down to Goa the next day
2. South Goa is for peaceful (relatively) beaches while North is for the crowd. Based on what you prefer, you can chose. I have stayed in South Goa 2 times and North Goa once and I preferred South. Each time, I was with my family. I stayed at the Novotel Dona Sylvia and the beach access was great there with a huge swimming pool as well. I have heard good things about the Holiday Inn nearby as well

Hope this helps! Have a good trip
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:41   #5516
BHPian

Completed Mysore to Goa and Back over the weekend . Below was the route we took (travellers from Bangalore can use the same if travelling via Chitradurga)

1.Onward: Mysore -> Chitradurga->Davengere -> Haveri -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> South Goa. Do Not take this route as there are a lot of ongoing repairs between Sirsi and Ankola on the Ghat sections.

2. Return South Goa->Karwar->Yellapura->Haveri->Davengere->Chitradurga->Mysore.

Route 2 is the preferred option however traffic has high Truck volumes with single-lane highways. Also, avoid night drive if possible as this stretch is pretty deserted beyond Haveri till Karwar.
Old 5th March 2022, 10:28   #5517
BHPian

I covered the following route on 2nd March,

Bangalore -> Davangere -> Mundgod (take left after bankapura toll) -> Yellapur -> Arbail Ghat -> Karwar -> South Goa -> Panjim

The road conditions were really good excpet for few patches between Mundgod and Yellapur since it was forest roads so can't complain much. The ghat roads were also in good condition an I was able to matintain a decent pace as well. Planning to cover the same route back to Bangalore as I was able to cover almost 630 Kms within 12 hrs last time.

Thanks to @binand's route suggestions above
pravarag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 16:02   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchi05 View Post
Travel update:

Thank you @bong_voyager for suggesting the Anmod ghat route. We left from Bangalore (CV Raman Nagar) at 5.30 AM and reached our destination at 4.15 PM. .
What is the exact route that you took? Almost 11 hours for 600 kms is a bit long considering almost 400 kms is on NH 4. Were there a lot of diversions?
Old 5th March 2022, 18:17   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
I covered the following route on 2nd March,

Bangalore -> Davangere -> Mundgod (take left after bankapura toll) -> Yellapur -> Arbail Ghat -> Karwar -> South Goa -> Panjim

The road conditions were really good excpet for few patches between Mundgod and Yellapur since it was forest roads so can't complain much. The ghat roads were also in good condition an I was able to matintain a decent pace as well. Planning to cover the same route back to Bangalore as I was able to cover almost 630 Kms within 12 hrs last time.

Thanks to @binand's route suggestions above
Even i am planning to return to Bangalore tomorrow and considering the same option.
Is the panjim to karwar full 4 lanes?
Any other 4 lanes in this route, or wide 2 lanes where we can maintain 80-100 kmph?
Old 5th March 2022, 19:27   #5520
BHPian

Quote:
The road conditions were really good excpet for few patches between Mundgod and Yellapur since it was forest roads so can't complain much.
Can you elaborate on this a bit please. Its been a while since I did Bangalore-Goa stretch and I have one planned in the near future. The last time I took this particular stretch, the road had a lot of potholes, looked more like a Bangalore city road than a highway. Is it better covered by a SUV or will a low slung Sedan be OK to cover this stretch without much underbelly scraping.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks